Menu

Are you doing anything about "class rings"?

It was such a part of my junior year. But it's so "school". I really wonder if dd will notice that her school friends are getting a class ring and she's not. Well, not yet. I would get her one if she wants one. But dh and I don't wear ours. We both wore it until we got our college rings. And now we don't even wear those. To me it was just something you did cause everybody did it. I wanted one cause everyone got one. But now it's sitting in my jewelry box.

So what are you doing? I haven't even brought it up yet.

My ds REALLY wanted a class ring, so for part of his high school graduation gift, we bought a class ring for him. (His girlfriend now wears it on a chain around her neck!) There are plenty of reputable class ring companies to choose from. (just google! :D) He had fun designing his style and personalizing it to his taste.

My dd wants a class ring also. Next year, she will be getting one!

I put "class rings" in the same category as a "graduation ceremony" -- I let my teens decide if they want it or not. Both kids want a graduation ceremony, with other home schooled high schoolers, so that's what they will get.

Some kids just want a graduation party/cook-out, etc. at their house,in lieu of a formal ceremony, some want a special vacation with their family, some don't want anything. It's a special time in teens' lives that they can choose -- or not choose - to do.

So what are you doing?

Keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that my kids won't hear about this or ask about it? Unfortunately, it's already a struggle for us because all their friends in youth group go to the local high school, and they feel left out quite a bit. I'm thinking that once those kids are Juniors/Seniors, I may be looking for other, similar rites of passage.

If it comes up, I'll probably explain that their dad doesn't even have one, and I only wore mine for a year or so after I graduated high school. I ended up not even purchasing a college ring, since the other one just sat in my jewelry box, and I deemed it a waste of money. (I will say I wish I had the college one, but not the high school one.)

I might think of some alternate idea, or ask them if they had any alternate idea of a better way to spend that money that would be more meaningful to them or to us as a family.

Neither my sil nor I had one.

In my case, I simply didn't have the money for a class ring. It hurt. Some of my friends heard me admire an Irish ring I saw in a catalog (totally unrelated to the class ring hoopla, at a totally different time). My friends pitched in some money together and bought me that ring for Christmas my senior year. I truly loved the ring, loved that it was bought for me out of such love. I wore it for many years until it was stolen. It didn't look at all like a class ring, but I considered to be like my class ring.

My sil didn't like the look of traditional class rings and disliked the idea of spending money on something that she would not continue wearing because of how dated and "high schoolish" it would look over time. Instead, she chose a beautiful ring from a regular jeweler, and her parents purchased it for her. She still wears it.

I plan to offer my kids the option. I hope they will choose a more "normal" ring like their aunt and I as I think it lasts longer and is just as special.

I offered to get our dd rings, but neither wanted one. There are plenty of places to buy them (Walmart for one) and lots of prices. I even offered to buy them just a nice ring of their choosing, but they're not big jewelry wearers so didn't even want that.

Why yes! I am thinking this ring would look perfect on me!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjl2AAzcEdppT5XCMk6pJxUEm9HmCeoWnuWKaoTCX0g2SgINIy

The month oldest ds turns 18 (year he graduates) is also going ti be my 20th anniversary.

I have told dh plan to go all out for graduations bc by golly *I* have worked my butt off for them and deserve it.:D:tongue_smilie:

ETA: dh had a class ring, but I wore it as his girlfriend more than he ever did. It's in a box somewhere around here.

I doubt we will buy a class ring for our kids. Dh didn't want his, but his parents bought it for him as a surprise birthday gift. He said he would have rather had some new music tapes or a gas card for his truck.

Edited by Martha

My sil didn't like the look of traditional class rings and disliked the idea of spending money on something that she would not continue wearing because of how dated and "high schoolish" it would look over time. Instead, she chose a beautiful ring from a regular jeweler, and her parents purchased it for her. She still wears it.

This is what I did. I thought the official ones were overpriced for not having a real stone and being only 10k gold. I found one that was the same price at a regular jeweler with my birthstone (amethyst) and 14k gold and got it engraved. I chipped in half and my parents paid the rest. I wore it up until I got engaged, and plan to give it to my younger DD (who has the same birthstone) some day.

When the time comes, I think I'll give each kid a budget for "senior stuff" and we'll figure out the best way to spend it. Probably the only thing I would require they take out of the budget is printing and sending pictures. Other than that, I'd be fine if they wanted to skip rings, cards, tassels, etc and maybe spend the money on a cool experience, or keep it for a rainy day, whatever. If they choose to buy the ring and such, at least I would feel like they truly wanted it.

We're actually running into some of this already - some of the families we know are wanting to do and buy various things for 8th-grade "graduation" :001_rolleyes:

Is this really a "thing"? I mean, I knew it was possible to order one when I was in school, but either I was completely oblivious (likely!) or very few of the kids at my school bothered with them. Maybe both. ... Do the kids in your area make a big deal of class rings these days?

Considering I thought it was a bit silly when I was graduating high school and chose not to get one myself, I haven't even thought of the kids getting one. I didn't get one for college either. Then again, I'm not into jewelry.;) I did get dd18 a nice ring and necklace as a graduation gift.I haven't actually noticed any of the kids' friends getting class rings either. Do they still do that?

Why yes! I am thinking this ring would look perfect on me!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjl2AAzcEdppT5XCMk6pJxUEm9HmCeoWnuWKaoTCX0g2SgINIy

The month oldest ds turns 18 (year he graduates) is also going ti be my 20th anniversary.

I have told dh plan to go all out for graduations bc by golly *I* have worked my butt off for them and deserve it.:D:tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Is this really a "thing"? I mean, I knew it was possible to order one when I was in school, but either I was completely oblivious (likely!) or very few of the kids at my school bothered with them. Maybe both. ... Do the kids in your area make a big deal of class rings these days?

very big thing around here, both now and back in the day. there is an entire "ring ceremony" to go along with it; I don't know of any schools that don't have one.

very big thing around here, both now and back in the day. there is an entire "ring ceremony" to go along with it; I don't know of any schools that don't have one.

I remember my school *had* the rings, though I don't know of any ceremony. The rings seemed like a fund-raiser for the school to me. And, lol, for the ring company.

I'm not sure our school had class rings. I'm pretty sure they didn't. :confused:

The only time I ever wore my ring was in school. Since it's very "schooly" anyway, we just haven't done it. I suppose if one of my kids came to me and really wanted one, I would consider it but that hasn't happened.

I feel like we spend enough money on activities, books, classes, etc. Why bring up something that will likely be left in a drawer?