Menu

How do you create an atmosphere of inspiration?

Skadi

I read It's not the curriculum you buy and I agree with the blogger's sentiment that we obsess over curricula minutia when it's really the overall context you're creating for your kids that creates a good learning environment.

But how do you create this fabled atmosphere of inspiration on a practical, day-to-day basis?

I'd love to hear from the Hive about ways you try to galvanize the homeschooling experience.

Also, are there any books about inspiring teaching methodology (this might be an oxymoron) that you would recommend?

Good article! Some random thoughts about how we try to provide this environment:

- Lots and lots of interesting books from the library, covering all areas and subjects (our library allows an unlimited number of books and up to 50 renewals if the books aren't on hold). I don't "require" any books to be read (if I want something specific read, I'll read it aloud), but dd8 just reads everything I bring home.

- Lots of books that we own - anything that seems a good resource or those that we love. We have books everywhere. Seriously, we're drowning in them. DD8 reads all the time.

- Lots of art supplies and free access to them (including clay, paint, beads, watercolors, etc.)

- Bookmarked computer games for when they want to play (including brainpop and discovery education).

- Lots of strategy and board games (and playing them as a family).

- Lots of educational (and fun) movies from the library - we do a lot of science videos that are great. We also have Netflix and I'm constantly researching fun movies for us to watch (old musicals and classics included).

- Lots of audio cds (both educational and classics). We listen at home and in the car. Jim Weiss is one narrator that's great.

- Several globes and maps throughout the house (we have one talking globe that ds5 loves). Referring to them whenever we read about a certain location.

- Several quality magazine subscriptions in various subjects, including Stone Soup where dd8 aspires to someday become published.

- Unlimited paper for drawing, writing, etc.

- Encouraging the kids to cook with me, and also to come with their own recipe/meal ideas.

- Pandora radio stations programmed for all kinds of wonderful music, though we play classical a good deal of the time because we love it. We incorporate music in other ways also - Classical Kids cds, attendance at the Symphony, weekly piano lessons, etc. We also enjoy the ballet, theatre, broadway musicals.

- Fun field trips to the zoo, museums, apple picking, etc.

I also get HEM and Life Learning magazines, and get some good ideas from there!

Edited by tammyw

I can't say that I have any really good answers for you right now, but I am reading two great books on the subject.

The Creative Family by Amanda Soule (more geared for younger years, but can be adapted for olders)

and

Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson. Lots of great ideas about creating different learning spaces in your home to create an environment of inspiration

HTH!

Blessings,

Joy (in Indo)

Good article! Some random thoughts about how we try to provide this environment:

- Lots and lots of interesting books from the library, covering all areas and subjects (our library allows an unlimited number of books and up to 50 renewals if the books aren't on hold). I don't "require" any books to be read (if I want something specific read, I'll read it aloud), but dd8 just reads everything I bring home.

- Lots of books that we own - anything that seems a good resource or those that we love. We have books everywhere. Seriously, we're drowning in them. DD8 reads all the time.

- Lots of art supplies and free access to them (including clay, paint, beads, watercolors, etc.)

- Bookmarked computer games for when they want to play (including brainpop and discovery education).

- Lots of strategy and board games (and playing them as a family).

- Lots of educational (and fun) movies from the library - we do a lot of science videos that are great. We also have Netflix and I'm constantly researching fun movies for us to watch (old musicals and classics included).

- Lots of audio cds (both educational and classics). We listen at home and in the car. Jim Weiss is one narrator that's great.

- Several globes and maps throughout the house (we have one talking globe that ds5 loves). Referring to them whenever we read about a certain location.

- Several quality magazine subscriptions in various subjects, including Stone Soup where dd8 aspires to someday become published.

- Unlimited paper for drawing, writing, etc.

- Encouraging the kids to cook with me, and also to come with their own recipe/meal ideas.

- Pandora radio stations programmed for all kinds of wonderful music, though we play classical a good deal of the time because we love it. We incorporate music in other ways also - Classical Kids cds, attendance at the Symphony, weekly piano lessons, etc. We also enjoy the ballet, theatre, broadway musicals.

- Fun field trips to the zoo, museums, apple picking, etc.

I also get HEM and Life Learning magazines, and get some good ideas from there!

:iagree: I'll just add that we limit TV and non-educational computer time during the day as well and spend a lot of time "playing" together.

I think some kids catch it more than others. I purposes to fill our home with beneficial and educational things from birth. When they were young and introduced to movies, they were Beatrix Potter, The Letter Factory, Animated Hero Classics, etc. Puzzles were of states, solar system, human body. Math manipulatives were toys.

I've always read a lot and buy/rent all sorts of book. I try to read with much enthusiasm. We read poetry.

My boys have nature collections and tools -- magnifying glasses, microscopes, field guides. We have maps and globes.

But my boys are different in the degree to which they interact with them. They don't entice Ben as much. He enjoys when I read to him or if he joins Nathan in a nature study, setting up store with British money, etc., but he's not catching the passion. He gives more on the piano, though.

Nathan, however, enjoys things to the fullest. He could identify all states just by shape isolated from the rest from doing puzzles. He knows the relationships between British coins. He sets up an easel at the pond to paint after reading about Impressionists. He makes documentaries after reading about WW1. He can identify every country in the world just by studying maps. In fact, he was upset when he discovered that our wall map left out Kosovo.

They've played out from our learning environment as a team, though. After The Letter Factory, they spent the day cutting out letters from construction paper and acting it out themselves. They act out a lot of what they learn.

Also, I try to just talk about things like history, science, root words, etc in every day conversation. I think this is one of the biggest things. When Ben asks me, for example, what supervise means, I take time to break the meaning down by the roots. If we see a painting with thick paint, I'll ask the boys who it reminds them of. We used to play a Skittles game they loved! I ask various science and history questions from trivia books and such, and if they answered correctly, they got a skittle. We also asked these questions at meal times. Wed also play the alphabet game-- think of a country or a historical person that starts with each letter.

Edited by nestof3

I read It's not the curriculum you buy and I agree with the blogger's sentiment that we obsess over curricula minutia when it's really the overall context you're creating for your kids that creates a good learning environment.

That is a great article. Like you, I'm left craving more details and suggestions.

I started thinking hard about this about a year and a half ago. We are very laid back and hands off about formal education before first grade. I am very comfortable with that. When I started first grade with DS8, I had formal plans for the first time ever. The transition was not a rousing success, mostly because I was fighting my own nature. Six years of a strong belief in the necessity of an environment of learning does not instantly morph into the habit of following a structured plan overnight. That sounds obvious now, typing it out. :lol: I really struggled with it though.

My kids learned so much in their early years from just living and playing. I started to realize that the way we learned didn't have to change from completely informal to formal. Yes, there were things I needed to explicitly teach them now, but it didn't have to be devoid of play and inspiration. I decided to focus on adjusting the learning atmosphere from what was appropriate for their early years to something appropriate and more self-serve for their current level of development. (Then I regretted never knowing the details of Montessori environments because at that point I realized I that the kids could have done self-serve paint for quite a while prior to this! :tongue_smilie:)

I focus on centers, strewing, and environment. Centers are associated with early learning but there is no reason they can't be made appropriate for older kids. I set aside areas in our home for nature, science, art, reading, etc.

Also, are there any books about inspiring teaching methodology (this might be an oxymoron) that you would recommend?

I'm big on teacher books. I love homeschooling but I always say that if I had the best of the best teaching in my PS down the street, my kids would be there. Liping Ma would teach math, Charles Pearce would teach science, SWB/MCT and Julie Bogart would teach writing, etc. I would send them to that school in a heartbeat!

Here are some of my favorites:

Math: Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, About Teaching Mathematics

Language: The Writer's Jungle, MCTLA, The Write Start, The Read-Aloud Handbook, Classics in the Classroom

Science/Nature: Nurturing Inquiry (because I don't recommend it often enough :tongue_smilie:), Beyond the Science Kit, Organizing Wonder, Doing What Scientists Do, Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature (a big new-agey but a great resource)

History: Social Studies That Sticks, Connecting Children with Children

Art: The Art of Teaching Art to Children, Engaging Learners Through Artmaking (check out the web site Teaching for Artistic Behavior)

Life: Playful Learning, Mrs. Sharp's Traditions, The Rhythm of Family (and Amanda Soule's other books as well), All Year Round, The Children's Year

The Creative Family by Amanda Soule (more geared for younger years, but can be adapted for olders)

and

Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson. Lots of great ideas about creating different learning spaces in your home to create an environment of inspiration

HTH!

Blessings,

Joy (in Indo)

:iagree: These are great books.

Geared a little more for younger kids, Child of Wonder and Playful Learning.

Also google "inquiry-based learning" and "project-based learning." One of the best blogs I've found of a homeschooler who implements PBL is http://www.whiteoakschool.com/

:iagree:These books are wonderful. I have about 1/2" of print-outs from this blog. Inspirational stuff!

I recently purchased Playful Learning and I think it is a great resource to guide parents in setting up a home full of learning centers. She actually does an online class you can sign up for (6 weeks, I think) where you and the others in class will work on one area a week and report back. I have thought about having a weekly thread similar to that here. You know, for those of us interested in creating centers or learning environments for different subjects, we could have a week for science, a week for art, a week for nature, etc. and post pictures and help each other along. Anyone want to do that? I'm game. :)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Another thing I do is listen to or watch what they are interested in. Then I get books or supplies to feed their interests. When dd8 took a sewing class last year, she got very interested in sewing. I ordered a bunch of books from the library (various sewing crafts, stuffed dolls, etc.) Then we went to Joann's and bought her a bunch of sewing supplies. Now she sews all the time, completely on her own.

I agree with the pp who said every kid is so different. Mine are exceptionally different and motivated by such different things. So what works for us, wouldn't necessarily work for someone else. I think the biggest thing I can say is that we allow them to pick and choose what they're doing most of the time. I don't set up a schedule, but we do have a bunch of different curriculums we do. They get to pick and choose what they do, when they do it, much of the time, and that also helps, but it wouldn't work for everyone.

Decluttering our spaces helps us learn. I also created a "prepared environment" (see "task card" threads) with comfy chairs and a small bookcase with a lamp, some reference books, drawing paper, index cards, and colored pencils.

Having a daily assignment sheet also helps.

But I'd have to say that having a clean, uncluttered environment (plus routines - laying out clothing before bed, etc.) helps the most -- it makes everyone want to pick up a book, relax and read.

I submit that the best way to create an atmosphere that inspires learning is to focus on your relationship with your children. I think that is the basis for everything, whether you are organized or not, whether you have centers, or traditional curriculum or are a radical unschooler. I think that relationship is based on two things: modeling good living (that is educating yourself, having good habits, being the most loving person you can be) and making sure you are connected to your child; that is respecting your child's mind and heart, recognizing their strengths, being patient with their weaknesses, letting them unfold according to their own development schedule and not an arbitrary one developed for institutional schooling.

I think the key is to relax and enjoy life and your children!

Edited by Faithr

Decluttering our spaces helps us learn.

But I'd have to say that having a clean, uncluttered environment (plus routines - laying out clothing before bed, etc.) helps the most -- it makes everyone want to pick up a book, relax and read.

:iagree:It is so hard to relax into activities surrounded by messes.

I submit that the best way to create an atmosphere that inspires learning is to focus on your relationship with your children. I think that is the basis for everything, whether you are organized or not, whether you have centers, or traditional curriculum or are a radical unschooler. I think that relationship is based on two things: modeling good living (that is educating yourself, having good habits, being the most loving person you can be) and making sure you are connected to your child; that is respecting your child's mind and heart, recognizing their strengths, being patient with their weaknesses, letting them unfold according to their own development schedule and not an arbitrary one developed for institutional schooling.

This is a good reminder. About relaxing, one of the things I realized was that I needed to relax into my own beliefs and ways of doing things, instead of trying to sculpt myself into someone I'm not. In the same way, I need to remind myself constantly to meet the kids where they are.

AVA, my online time (esp WTM board time) is limited, but I would totally love to participate as much as I can with something like this. Inspired by Nurturing Inquiry, I have set up discovery boxes and stations throughout our home. We have set up a magnet box that is, if I do say so myself, awesome, and it has inspired more magnet-related projects than I can say. One of the more "outcome-driven" projects that we just completed was putting together a Gauss Rifle with some super-strong magnets and steel balls. Up next is an electromagnetic motor, but the learning behind these and other projects was driven by my kids just having fun making discoveries with their magnet box.

I am working with a friend to make themed discovery-boxes that we can swap and share. Our list of themes is growing.

We have a "math center" where we keep manipulatives and math-related games and books; an art center with different papers, collage materials, adhesives, drawing implements, drawing books and art prints; a nature table; a bone box (dh regularly finds skeletons and carcasses which he cleans to add to the bone box)... There's more but my little one is clamoring for a story. :001_wub:

Wow! It sounds like you're setting up quite the science environment! I would love to see your lists of discovery themes and materials. I could always use new ideas. I wish that Charles Pearce would write another book called Discovery Boxes and give ideas for every branch and topic of science. I'll keep dreaming... Someone should though!

After I make some notes and have a better idea how we could do this centers project, I think I'll start another thread asking if anyone else wants to participate.

To inspire, be passionate. Share with your children what you are passionate about.

Be observant--watch them to know what they are interested in. Foster those interests.

Listen--when they come tell you their stories and ramblings and details ad nauseum, don't tune out. Listen. Share their passion. Ask questions. Do they need something to pursue what they are interested in?

Read to them. Stop and marvel when you didn't know something.

Go on walks. Stop and marvel at how incredible aspects of nature are.

Allow "interruptions." Begin to see them as being just as much a legitimate form of school as curriculum. Stop school to go watch a building being torn down, for example. Get out of the house.

Talk with your children, ask questions--allow them to sometimes shape curriculum choices. For example, when my daughter was recently interested in aerodynamics, I let her make a variety of paper airplanes, go out on the roof of our screen porch and launch them. Today both kids were out there with huge planes they had made, experimenting with wingspan and ballast and styles. If they want to write something different than what's assigned--let them. If while studying Egypt they want to stop and make a pyramid or an Egyptian collar, or want to go dig in the sand box to be archaeologists, or want to find more books on a certain topic...let them.

Provide time for them to just be, to think, to play. Adventures in Oddyssey has been a great imagination-stimulator here--the kids listen and draw, sculpt, build with legos, make paper doll clothes...

Make frequent supply lists.

Let them play with any safe old electronics, phones, etc... I have one child who takes things apart and another who uses them as props.

Merry :-)

I think these are very wise words! This is what we're constantly striving for (not always succeeding, definitely making mistakes, but trying hard). I recently pulled out a couple of the books mentioned - http://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Kids-Will-Listen/dp/0380811960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315255027&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.com/Playful-Parenting-Lawrence-J-Cohen/dp/0345442865/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315255120&sr=1-1 because I need constant reminders to be more patient and more connected. I find when my husband and I read books like this and share the ideas, we're able to help each other be more patient with each other and the kids. That makes a world of difference for a more peaceful home.

I don't know, with a bull whip?

Oh, no.

That would be how we galvanize the homeschooling experience....

You want the make-up of those secret, hedonistic molecules that comprise the quixotic atmosphere of all truly good homeschoolers, right? Hmmmm..... I guess they're inherent in the laws:

Ya do it because it's the law - and learning should be everyone's business, not just because it's currently the law at this time in history, but because we were created to learn, and thrive most when stretching our minds to learn (forever - in or out of a school experience). In order to become life-long learners, we train our brains through school work when we are young (hopefully), and that will look different for different families and for different children....

There is a quality inherent in reading aloud, active listening, and discussing books that serves to train the brain in ways that those who do not read widely will never know....

Learning is a lifestyle and may require that various areas around the perimeter of the kitchen remain cluttered for years with science equipment (hopefully, all potential for poisoning will be avoided).... Likewise, many flat surfaces of living areas may be cluttered for years with various nature and other collections that inspire.... Books are everywhere, spilling out of every room of our houses - learning is a messy business.... And learning extends to vacation time (there's no such thing as hang-out-at-a-hotel vacations that do not include learning experiences, whether in nature or in museums).... We learn because we live....

Learning is not just about books, nor even about projects/experiments, as useful as those may be. Learning is about doing/living/experiencing and options for those things need to keep pace with growing children, blossoming into meaningful work and volunteer experiences, part-time jobs, etc. as they mature....

Learning can happen with TV's, and computers, and music, and all sorts of other technology, even (perhaps) video games, but we must be the masters of such learning, rather than allowing ourselves to drown in the dross that clutters the surface of any such pool into which we may dive....

Learning is going to look different not just for individual families, but for each individual child within that family, whether LD, average, gifted, 2e, etc. We must strive to find balance as well as optimum ways of learning for each child. Such struggles may be difficult at times. Learning is not always all fun and games.... Life is not always all fun and games - struggle builds character, for all of us....

Learning is about family time - regular meals together with good conversation, having fun over a board game or watching a movie or other type of show together. And learning is about opening up to the ideas of others in the world, through outside classes, particularly as children mature and are ready to begin thoughtful discussion about differing opinions.

Learning is about the care and keeping of the individual, through all types of physical activity, health knowledge, practical hygiene skills and living skills.... Nearly any thing in life can be an important, meaningful learning experience if handled correctly. I'm not sure that "which curriculum" we use is important at all - I tend to think that the way we reinforce that curriculum is what really matters over time....

Edited by mcconnellboys

That is a great article. Like you, I'm left craving more details and suggestions.

I started thinking hard about this about a year and a half ago. We are very laid back and hands off about formal education before first grade. I am very comfortable with that. When I started first grade with DS8, I had formal plans for the first time ever. The transition was not a rousing success, mostly because I was fighting my own nature. Six years of a strong belief in the necessity of an environment of learning does not instantly morph into the habit of following a structured plan overnight. That sounds obvious now, typing it out. :lol: I really struggled with it though.

My kids learned so much in their early years from just living and playing. I started to realize that the way we learned didn't have to change from completely informal to formal. Yes, there were things I needed to explicitly teach them now, but it didn't have to be devoid of play and inspiration. I decided to focus on adjusting the learning atmosphere from what was appropriate for their early years to something appropriate and more self-serve for their current level of development. (Then I regretted never knowing the details of Montessori environments because at that point I realized I that the kids could have done self-serve paint for quite a while prior to this! :tongue_smilie:)

I focus on centers, strewing, and environment. Centers are associated with early learning but there is no reason they can't be made appropriate for older kids. I set aside areas in our home for nature, science, art, reading, etc.

I'm big on teacher books. I love homeschooling but I always say that if I had the best of the best teaching in my PS down the street, my kids would be there. Liping Ma would teach math, Charles Pearce would teach science, SWB/MCT and Julie Bogart would teach writing, etc. I would send them to that school in a heartbeat!

Here are some of my favorites:

Math: Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, About Teaching Mathematics

Language: The Writer's Jungle, MCTLA, The Write Start, The Read-Aloud Handbook, Classics in the Classroom

Science/Nature: Nurturing Inquiry (because I don't recommend it often enough :tongue_smilie:), Beyond the Science Kit, Organizing Wonder, Doing What Scientists Do, Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature (a big new-agey but a great resource)

History: Social Studies That Sticks, Connecting Children with Children

Art: The Art of Teaching Art to Children, Engaging Learners Through Artmaking (check out the web site Teaching for Artistic Behavior)

Life: Playful Learning, Mrs. Sharp's Traditions, The Rhythm of Family (and Amanda Soule's other books as well), All Year Round, The Children's Year

:iagree: These are great books.

:iagree:These books are wonderful. I have about 1/2" of print-outs from this blog. Inspirational stuff!

I recently purchased Playful Learning and I think it is a great resource to guide parents in setting up a home full of learning centers. She actually does an online class you can sign up for (6 weeks, I think) where you and the others in class will work on one area a week and report back. I have thought about having a weekly thread similar to that here. You know, for those of us interested in creating centers or learning environments for different subjects, we could have a week for science, a week for art, a week for nature, etc. and post pictures and help each other along. Anyone want to do that? I'm game. :)

I'm interested!

Beautiful post.

AVA, my online time (esp WTM board time) is limited, but I would totally love to participate as much as I can with something like this. Inspired by Nurturing Inquiry, I have set up discovery boxes and stations throughout our home. We have set up a magnet box that is, if I do say so myself, awesome, and it has inspired more magnet-related projects than I can say. One of the more "outcome-driven" projects that we just completed was putting together a Gauss Rifle with some super-strong magnets and steel balls. Up next is an electromagnetic motor, but the learning behind these and other projects was driven by my kids just having fun making discoveries with their magnet box.

:bigear: We'd love to hear what you put in your magnet box (or any other boxes). :bigear:

:iagree: The longer I do this thing called homeschool (and we haven't been at it that long), the more I realize that the heart of it is in our relationship with our three wonderful daughters. I love who they are, how they think, watching them learn, answering their questions (most days ;)), and building our connectedness -- both to each other and to the world around us.

Last week we had an opportunity to go on an impromptu vacation to another state -- should we go (and possibly miss some of our schoolwork) or should we stay home (so we could get it all done)? We went, had a great time, and the girls learned more by going than they would have if we'd stayed at home to do seatwork. We were in Lancaster County, PA -- learned about Amish & Mennonite culture, and (surprisingly to us) learned more about Chasidic Jewish culture, too. That's the benefit of traveling, even short distances.

Tomorrow, we are leaving (again) for another state. Now we get to travel with my husband for his job, all expenses paid. Why pass up these opportunities? There is a balance, I realize, and we won't always drop "school work" for travel. But we get to go to Assateague Island National Seashore! Why pass up that opportunity?

Time to put the excited children to bed tonight. :)

Edited by Sahamamama

She actually does an online class you can sign up for (6 weeks, I think) where you and the others in class will work on one area a week and report back. I have thought about having a weekly thread similar to that here. You know, for those of us interested in creating centers or learning environments for different subjects, we could have a week for science, a week for art, a week for nature, etc. and post pictures and help each other along. Anyone want to do that? I'm game. :)

YES! :bigear:

I love this idea, and this whole thread.

I echo and am awe inspired by some of the things in this thread. To be honest, time, money, & space have never allowed me to implement 1/2 of the things I would love to do for our home school. But here is a basic list of things that I have learned over that last 6 years:

1. Allow messes. It's okay if shaving cream gets all over the kitchen table if you hand them the can.

2. Clean messes up. If 1/4 of our world leaders had been taught this...well.....

3. Even if Art is a ballpoint pen and printer paper--it is a creation, and they are proud of it. I save lots in 3 ring binders. It doesn't have to be expensive material to be a priceless piece of art.

4. Math is everywhere. Recognize it, point it out, and talk about it.

5. Once you can read you can do anything. We use this rule for almost everything: Once you've read the book you can watch the movie (some are still age ruled of course). Once you can read the recipe you can make it. Once you learn about ________ we will see what we can do to let you do something with it.

6. And my #1 most important thing I have learned in the last 6 years, is that I have to be interested. Maybe I'm not actually interested in how an engine works...but I am interested in my some learning about it...and so I have to support him in learning by talking to him about it, asking him questions and encouraging him.

Nothing earth shattering to anyone in this forum I am sure...but just my take on things.

You know, I'm being haunted by this thread. I've graduated one, so it seems silly. But, I've learned so much in the last 11 years, and I'm wanting to do so much more. I am also more involved one-on-one because the two are so close in age.

But, I miss that relaxation I felt when they were young. I feel so panicked most of the time trying to cross everything off the list. I don't know how to just be calm and patient when my youngest seems so clueless most of the time.

I have ideas in my head of it working, but the day always ends up so stressful.

Oh, and add that to finding out how many great things others are studying and the rigorous standard I've seen, and my confidence has dwindled. I worry much more now about covering it all.

Furthermore, I personally want to delve into so much, but there is only so much time and so many other tasks to tend to. Honestly, I'd rather homeschool over cook any day. It's this other stuff that just gets in the way.

You know, I'm being haunted by this thread. I've graduated one, so it seems silly. But, I've learned so much in the last 11 years, and I'm wanting to do so much more. I am also more involved one-on-one because the two are so close in age.

But, I miss that relaxation I felt when they were young. I feel so panicked most of the time trying to cross everything off the list. I don't know how to just be calm and patient when my youngest seems so clueless most of the time.

I have ideas in my head of it working, but the day always ends up so stressful.

:grouphug: It doesn't seem silly at all. I think it's a normal part of being a mom and a homeschooler to worry if what we are doing is enough--rigorous enough, inspirational enough, thorough enough, fun enough...just plain enough. I do not have nearly the experience homeschooling that you do, but relaxation comes to me with deep breaths and when I remember to take setbacks day by day and look for progress year by year.

Amazing advice! I am so printing this out. If you ever write a book, I'll buy it! Thanks for this, seriously.

Blessings,

Joy (in Indo)

I love what Faithr said:001_wub:

I have to remind myself of that. I've always been the type that hungers for information, and loves to dive into a stack of non-fic library books. It would be impossible for me NOT to model a love of learning. I'm having to re-define what an "environment of learning" and what "love of learning" looks like for each of my dc. I see that their own personal relationship with information is very different from my own. Strewing works fine for my 8yo, who has a strong emotional tie to things (she's very feelings oriented). This does not, however, work at all with my logical, practical, "just give me what I need to know" 10yo! Love of learning for her is very hands-on, real life application. I'm still working out the mechanics for this one. I'm not sure whether I should teach her how to run a tractor, put together a computer, and oil change a car...or what? LOL. I'm still not sure what gets her going. I do know that she'll never get excited by a stack of non-fic library books, or a bunch of Sonlight novels, or a lapbook. I have to remind myself that she actually IS learning vocab and real life stuff that I wouldn't think to teach her from all those Babysitter Club books she's reading right now. She gains a lot from watching movies with subtitles turned on (she loves subtitles, lol!) And, I'm discovering that this child will always need some unhappy pushing to move her forward. Unschooling would not work for this child. She hates school, and reminds me of this daily (which is always like a shot thru my heart...). But I'm realizing she needs fact-based education and she is finding some (dare I say it?) "joy" in memorizing the facts that I assign. She also needs to somehow practically incorporate that info so that it is useful to her. This is very different from my vision of "love of learning", LOL!

I think Joy said it best when she said "relax and enjoy your children." Since being involved in homeschooling for eighteen years, I only wish I would have realized that sooner!

We now slow down a little bit and I really watch the interests and delights of my son and nourish them. We have our formal schooling in the morning, but the afternoon is dedicated to his leading. Right now, it is birds, trees, the United States, and animals. I give him books, games, tools (such as magifiers, binoculars, a microscope), crafts, notebooking pages and coloring books. But I try to stay out of his way as he delightfully discovers the world around him. We take nature hikes and field trips and he excitedly tells me all of the things that he discovers that he has read about in his books.

Our home is full of little areas full of books and art supplies, games and supplies to encourage delight-led learning. Yes, I do introduce topics by bringing in new books items, but from there, I leave it to him to decide where his interests will go. He has studied topics in much further depth than I would have ever done in a lesson plan or unit study. Sometimes it is hard to keep him focused on our regular studies! ;)

When I look at the homeschoolers I know IRL, it is easy to see that it isn't about the curriculum, but it also isn't about the method or the activities or anything like that. It really is about the parent. That's scary, because it's easier to get a book or go to a website and try to find the recipe: "Create 5 learning centers. Sprinkle 14 books about the child's bedroom. Complete 2 nature walks monthly." But that's not how it works. I have seen some homeschool mothers with the most elaborate centers and downloaded enrichment activities and such, but they spend all the time on those and sharing those with others, and they spend less time on their dc. And it really comes down to what Faith said. It's about the parent, and it's about the relationship.

We have to look at who we are and decide what needs to change, and it is easier to change something external or physical. If you want very inspired children, you need to be as calm, open, inquisitive, consistent, available, and joyful as you possibly can as often as you possibly can. Why do my dc care about learning and doing their best and being their best? Because they know that's what I want for them. And why do they care what I want? Because that is the relationship that we have. It takes a lot of time and magnetism to develop a level of trust to the point that "My parent thinks this is important, so I do, too." is the default. But once you have that, their education becomes easy and peaceful.

[i've shared before that I have one dd who was very, very difficult. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of diagnosis in there somewhere, but I prefer to think of her as unique. :D) She didn't come to this realationship easily or naturally (to put it mildly.) But is was worth it.]

So I think it's fine to look for ideas to create a home environment that is conducive to learning (we have the shelves of books, high quailty art supplies, the maps, the math supplies in cute boxes, and so on, of course,) but I would warn that you can have all of that and be missing the key ingredient, and it won't work out.

To make it more practical, here are a few examples of what I think it looks like from the outside on a daily basis:

Sharing your dc's interests by providing time, interest, and money for them. Creating family interests that you share, so that you can model how we pursue them.

Experiencing the same books, movies, places, and so forth, so that you have a common dialogue for discussing ideas.

Decluttering our spaces helps us learn. I also created a "prepared environment" (see "task card" threads) with comfy chairs and a small bookcase with a lamp, some reference books, drawing paper, index cards, and colored pencils.

Having a daily assignment sheet also helps.

:iagree:

I am in declutter mode around here right now and I can already tell that it's going to make a huge difference in the way we go about our days. Not having a lot of visual junk around makes it easier to sit and enjoy a book or color a picture or work on an art project.

I do know that she'll never get excited by a stack of non-fic library books, or a bunch of Sonlight novels, or a lapbook. ...edit...And, I'm discovering that this child will always need some unhappy pushing to move her forward. Unschooling would not work for this child. She hates school, and reminds me of this daily (which is always like a shot thru my heart...). But I'm realizing she needs fact-based education and she is finding some (dare I say it?) "joy" in memorizing the facts that I assign. She also needs to somehow practically incorporate that info so that it is useful to her. This is very different from my vision of "love of learning", LOL!

Oh I needed to hear this today. I feel this way too, especially the bolded part. We are 4 weeks in and each day is so hard. I really want to love learning together, to read and discuss and make projects and enjoy each other, but so far our days are more like battles, full of "I hate school/math/reading/you." I feel like a failure just about everyday. I am not sure what to do, except to soldier on and realize that ds just doesn't have the same vision I do.

Sigh. I'll probably feel better tomorrow.