Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week Thirty Six

Good morning dolls! Today is the start of week 36 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books blog - I is for Intellectual Devotional. Sort of like a religious devotional, the intellectual devotional is a secular devotional for the brain.

September and Fall is almost upon us. Can you imagine? What are you reading and what's on your nightstand for this month?

Link to week 35

I'm still working my way through Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Currently on book # 14 Danse Macabre. The series has gone from being gruesome to more erotic. Have read many complaints in reviews about the sexual aspects of the story. Since I've been reading one after the other, I can see how it all ties in and shows the growth (no pun intended) of the characters.

This week I finished five, bringing my year-to-date total to eighty-eight:

The Hypnotist (Lars Kepler)

Fiction. It seems as if I've had a bookmark in this for most of the summer. It finally captured my imagination -- in the way a particularly implausible but generally riveting episode of "Criminal Minds" will -- late on the last Saturday of the month. Twenty-four hours later, I set it aside with satisfaction. A gruesome, sordid, and suspenseful exploration of human weakness, frailty, and, yes, evil -- as I said, not unlike an episode of "Criminal Minds."

This Beautiful Life (Helen Schulman)

Fiction. What was the author thinking, invoking The Great Gatsby -- perhaps the original wealthy-Americans-experience-angst-too story -- at the mid-point of this overwrought novel? The comparison only made This Beautiful Life seem... more baldly less than. Sure, I'm a bit tetchy as I write this, but seriously? I finished with two thoughts: (1) I'll never get that afternoon back; and (2) Another book with unlikeable characters behaving stupidly -- bleah. Maria Russo (NYT, July 28) loved it, by the way. Did we read the same book?

Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery (Brian Sorrells)

Non-fiction. Because I cannot WAIT to use my new bow!

This Girl Is Different (J.J. Johnson)

YA fiction. A mostly predictable YA treatment of the "homeschooled kid decides to attend public high school -- and change the world!" story -- although I did appreciate the strong, intelligent protagonist.

Before I Go to Sleep (S.J. Watson)

Fiction. I told my husband that this was the psychological-thriller take on 50 First Dates. It wasn't bad; I just wasn't over-awed by this debut novel. More, the twist was rather apparent.

Edited by Mental multivitamin

I read 'A Town Like Alice' by Nevil Shute and 'Wild Colonial Boys' by Frank Clune. How Aussie of me. :)

Rosie

:lol: Like!

I've been reading/listening more lately. For this week, I've started Confederates in the Attic thanks to this board!

Here's my up to date list:

Listened to:

Evening Class by Maeve Binchy

The Adventures of Sally by P.G. Wodehouse

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Read:

(Fiction)

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banarjee Divakaruni

Dream Angus by Alexander McCall Smith

The Neddiad by Daniel Pinkwater

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig

The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig

The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig

The Favored Child by Philippa Gregory

The Enchantment of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig

Meridon by Philippa Gregory

The Betrayal of the Blood Lily by Lauren Willig

Secret Son by Laila Lalami

Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt

The Tenth Song by Naomi Ragen

Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

L’heure des elfes by Jean Louis-Fetjaine

Babyville by Jane Green

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Malpertuis by Jean Ray

Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig

(Non Fiction)

Disconnected Kids by Dr. Robert Melillo

Why the Chinese Don’t Count Calories by Lorraine Clissold

Going Gray by Anne Kreamer

The Celtic Realms by Myles Dillon and Nora Chadwick

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Still reading The Fellowship of the Ring. Sigh! I love this book more each and every time I read it.

Also, I'm still plugging away on Charlotte Mason's writing.

I wish I could read and knit at the same time like Elizabeth Zimmermann. Alas! I must rotate among knitting, reading, and chasing after boys! :lol: For any knitter's out there looking for a cozy knitting read (to last you a year of warmth), here's my absolute favorite: Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. It's now in hardcover! Hip hip hooray!! (Or in soft.)

P.S. No, I don't work for Dover publications. ;)

I read 'A Town Like Alice' by Nevil Shute and 'Wild Colonial Boys' by Frank Clune. How Aussie of me. :)

Rosie

I love A Town Like Alice! Still one of my all-time favourites, although I haven't re-read it for years. I am slowly building up my personal library of books-I-love-and-want-to-own - part of a symbolic process of putting down roots in Australia after years of too many moves, domestic and foreign, and too much book purging. I must add A Town Like Alice to the list. I've just bought a handful of YA novels that I read 20+ years ago. Although dd10 hates anything I recommend on principle, my impeccable literary judgement usually wins her over in the end. Just the other day she told me that the first of the Kevin and Sadie novels set in Northern Ireland was "not terrible" - this after I had to make the book assigned reading to get her to read it.

This week I finished THREE books:

28. The Shape of Water – Andrea Camilleri (1st in the Inspector Montalbano series – Italian police / crime novel)

27. Julie and Julia – Julie Powell

26. The Liberated Bride – A.B. Yehoshua

It's hard to know what to say about The Liberated Bride. It's a stunning novel - varied and amusing and tragic and ordinary and extraordinary. It was definitely both my most challenging and my most satisfying read of the year. It has been the subject of a number of academic papers, which makes me feel slightly less dense for taking about 6 weeks to read it (it really isn't a difficult book to read, just worthy of ones full attention).

Yohanan Rivlin, a professor at Haifa University, is a man of boundless and often naïve curiosity. His wife, Hagit, a district judge, is tolerant of almost everything but her husband's faults and prevarications. Frequent arguments aside, they are a well-adjusted couple with two grown sons.

When one of Rivlin's students-a young Arab bride from a village in the Galilee-is assigned to help with his research in recent Algerian history, a two-pronged mystery develops. As they probe the causes of the bloody Algerian civil war, Rivlin also becomes obsessed with his son's failed marriage.

Rivlin's search leads to a number of improbable escapades. In this comedy of manners, at once deeply serious and highly entertaining, Yehoshua brilliantly portrays characters from disparate sectors of Israeli life, united above all by a very human desire for, and fear of, the truth in politics and life.

I liked Julie and Julia less than I thought I would at the beginning. It was amusing, but had less depth than I had anticipated. And it made me quite sure that I never want to cook my way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year, as the author did!

The Shape of Water is the first in the Italian Inspector Montalbano series. I read the 8th book first, and unlike two other series which I've read "backwards" this year, I definitely enjoyed this one better than the later book. I think the author does a better job of evoking the political and social climate in Sicily in this one (given that I know next to nothing about Sicily). The books are very popular in Italy, apparently, and have been filmed - I managed to find the first series, with subtitles, here in Australia, and have ordered them.

I am currently reading The Sound of Wild Snails Eating and still have to decide between Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep or another Inspector Montalbano book.

Nikki

I read When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro last week, and have moved on to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I've never read before.

I read "When We Were Orphans" earlier this year & really enjoyed the atmospheric feel of it. Have you read Ishiguro's "The Remains of the Day"? It's just perfect.

I read "Frankenstein" last October & found it was somewhat different than what I expected. I am curious to hear your comments after you read it.

I read "When We Were Orphans" earlier this year & really enjoyed the atmospheric feel of it. Have you read Ishiguro's "The Remains of the Day"? It's just perfect.

I read "Frankenstein" last October & found it was somewhat different than what I expected. I am curious to hear your comments after you read it.

I believe I learned about Ishiguro from you in a previous thread, Stacia. I haven't yet read Remains of the Day, but it's on my list.

BTW, I've also added Map of Time to my list. Victorian London, historical fiction, steampunk? Sounds like a great read!

I finished The Good Earth yesterday. I liked it much more than I thought I would. I hope that dc will read this when they're older, or maybe we'll read it together. Dh read it many years ago and has been wanting me to read it for what seems like forever.

I've also added Map of Time to my list.

Me too. :D

Not sure what book I'll be starting this week. First I want to finish my copy of National Geographic. Love Nat Geo. :) Right now I'm reading about orphan elephants. Fascinating, sad, and very interesting.

First I want to finish my copy of National Geographic. Love Nat Geo. :) Right now I'm reading about orphan elephants. Fascinating, sad, and very interesting.

Have you read Travels on my Elephant by Mark Shand? The author (for reasons which I can't remember) decides to travel across India on an elephant called Tara. Really enjoyable.

Oh my gosh! I just realized after being behind all year that I'm finally caught up. The Total Money Makeover was my 36th book. WEEEEEEEE!!!:party:

I'll probably be behind again next week, but for now woo hoo!

Yeah!

I read When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro last week, and have moved on to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I've never read before.

Will be interested also to find out what you think of Frankenstein. It was totally different from what I expected.

the-map-of-time.jpg

This weekend, I started The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma.

Love the cover and sounds intriguing. Adding it to my wishlist.

We were on vacation last week so I was able to finish 2 books. The first was Lost in Shangri-La. I enjoyed the chapters that explained what was happening with the survivors and their rescue. But overall I thought the book was just okay...interesting in some parts, dull in others.

After I finished that I read Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. It was another so-so read. IMO she had way too many characters in this book. She kept introducing more and more to the point I thought to myself, "Enough already!!!"

This week I'm reading Little Princes by Conor Grennan. I noticed it at Borders when I was checking out their going out of business sale.

9780061930058.jpg

So far, I can hardly put it down.

If you like the idea of Victorian London, historical fiction, & steampunk, please, please read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. I *absolutely* loved it & it is by far the best book I've read this year.

From Booklist:

"*Starred Review* The usual superlatives for really clever fantasy (imaginative, mind-bending, phantasmagorical) aren’t nearly big enough for this debut novel. With this one book, Hodder has put himself on the genre map. The time is 1861; the place, London, England. The country is besieged by loups-garous (werewolves), and Spring Heeled Jack, the notorious (and possibly mythical) creature who appears out of nowhere to accost young women, is causing a bit of a ruckus. To deal with these problems, the prime minister recruits Sir Richard Francis Burton, the noted explorer, linguist, and self-promoter. With the help of his friend, the poet Algernon Swinburne, Burton wades in with both feet and uncovers a frightening conspiracy and a (potentially) world-altering technology. And that’s just the bare-bones story of this wildly inventive—another insufficient superlative—novel. Hodder has brilliantly combined various genre staples—time travel, alternate reality, steampunk—into something you’ve never quite seen before. His mid-nineteenth-century Britain features steam-driven velocipedes, rotorchairs, verbally abusive messenger parrots, a pneumatic rail system, and robotic street cleaners. The book’s supporting characters include Charles Darwin, Florence Nightingale, Francis Galton, and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the revolutionary civil engineer (although Hodder uses them in excitingly twisted new ways). The book is incredibly ambitious, and the author pulls it off like an old pro: not only is the setting exciting and fresh, the story is thrilling and full of surprises. Hodder’s only problem now is to find a way to follow up this exhilarating debut, which will appeal not only to sf/fantasy readers but also to mystery and historical-fiction fans."

Mark%20Hodder%20-%20Spring%20Heeled%20Jack.jpg

YES! You know, I had this on my B&N wishlist a couple of months ago, but, I guess it was deleted somehow. I had forgotten all about this book. Thanks for mentioning it again!

Have you read Travels on my Elephant by Mark Shand? The author (for reasons which I can't remember) decides to travel across India on an elephant called Tara. Really enjoyable.

No, I've never heard of it until now. Thank you. Will look into it. :)

After I finished that I read Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. It was another so-so read. IMO she had way too many characters in this book. She kept introducing more and more to the point I thought to myself, "Enough already!!!"

Yes, I agree. I read it a while ago, but I tend to mainly prefer her older stuff. I've always loved Maeve Binchy for my light reading.

I'm still working my way through Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Currently on book # 14 Danse Macabre. The series has gone from being gruesome to more erotic. Have read many complaints in reviews about the sexual aspects of the story. Since I've been reading one after the other, I can see how it all ties in and shows the growth (no pun intended) of the characters.

I've read every single "Anita Blake" book she's written so far, and every "Merry Gentry" book, too. I really love them but I do think that the last three or so books in the Anita Blake series just got too repetitious, becoming pretty much nothing but sex, which might sound good to some lol, but it's repetitive sex...we've read it all before in the previous books and those scenes seem to all become the same. And there's less "real" plot...I'll keep reading them as they come out though just because I feel like I already invested in the whole series haha.

This weekend, I started The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma.

This book sounds really good! My library does have it and I've made an official notation (read: I've scribbled it on a Post It Note that may well get lost on my desk) for future borrowing. I've already got two books ordered through ILL, one of which is quite lengthy, so I want to get through those before I start ordering more!

You know, I've never read "Frankenstein" either. I really should! Adding that to the file (read: Post It Note System) too!

If you like the idea of Victorian London, historical fiction, & steampunk, please, please read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. I *absolutely* loved it & it is by far the best book I've read this year.

Okay, I'm adding it (to the Post It Note)!

I read "Sarah's Key" this week. I actually finished it in one day. It was the "can't put down until I find out what happens" novel I've been waiting for all year.

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to read that one. It's just that I know the premise and I know the plot and it sounds awfully depressing...

As for me, I just finished "A Feast For Crows" yesterday and have "A Dance With Dragons" on reserve through interlibrary loan.

I'm doing another quickie read while I wait for it to arrive... "Bloodfever" by Karen Marie Moning, the second in an urban fantasy series set in Ireland, though the main character is an American who goes to Ireland trying to find out who murdered her sister, then finds out that "Fae" really exist and she has certain powers, and she gets caught up with all sorts of supernatural problems after finding out that her sister knew about them, too and died for it, and she meets several enigmatic characters with no idea who to trust... It comes after Darkfever which I previously read, and I've got the third book in that series on reserve through ILL, too.

Someone here recommended the series to me, zennjenn I think, and I like these books in the same way I like Laurel K. Hamilton's books, J.R. Ward's books, and the "True Blood" books. They're just... fun! :D

P.S. I finished "These Happy Golden Years" with my 10 y/o daughter, and we're reading "Maniac Magee" by Jerry Spinelli together this week.

Having fun reading through The Iron Druid Chronicles, by Michael Hearne

Atticus is an ancient Druid, the last of his kind running a bookstore and trying to stay out of trouble. His Irish Wolfhound, Oberon speaks with him through a mind link and his encounters with gods and fae keep the plot lines going.

These are very numerous and I am enjoying them immensely. Still avoiding serious books due to overwhelming issues here at home.

Another finished, and this was *wonderful.* Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies. Poetic, thoughtful, elegant writing weaving the Christian faith with the idea of 'words' and how they go hand in hand. I loved it.

I've read very few "duds" this year, and it is easily somewhere in the top 3 of the list below :) (but not #1, Island of the World is far and away my favorite read of the year)

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book) - Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

14. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer

15. The Organized Heart - Staci Eastin

16. Your Home: A Place of Grace - Susan Hunt

17. Christian Encounters: Jane Austen - Peter Leithart

18. Bambi: A Life in the Woods - Victor Salten

19. Aunt Jane's Hero - Elizabeth Prentiss

20. The Magician's Nephew (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

21. The Horse and His Boy (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

22. Beauty for Truth's Sake - Stratford Caldecott

23. A Mother's Rule of Life - Holly Pierlot

24. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

25. Persuasion - Jane Austen

26. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

27. Real Love for Real Life - Andi Ashworth

28. Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies - Marilyn Chandler McEntyre

I stopped reading The Crystal Cave. I was really looking forward to it and I found I just couldn't get into it. I'm not in the right mind set for such a book. Maybe some other time.

Loved The Hound of the Baskervilles and I will be reading more Sherlock Holmes books.

I started Carry On, Jeeves based on this thread. I need funny right now.

Some of my sister's friends just moved to Katmandu about a month ago to begin a 2-year teaching stint. They recently posted that school had been cancelled for the day because troops were firing on buses. :sad:

He talks about this in the book. It was a regular occurrence during much of the time he was there. The book ends in about 2008 and at that time a peace agreement had been signed between the two groups and the fighting had stopped. I'm sorry to hear things have escalated again.

I finished The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma.

Overall, I'd give it 3 (out of 5) stars. I can't say I loved it; it didn't meet the high expectation I had for it. However, you may like it -- don't take my disillusion with it as reason not to read it. I think there may be quite a few who would really enjoy this book, especially if this is your first foray in to this genre of book. (This book is also being tagged as an 'international sensation' & is being translated into something like 30 languages, so perhaps many would love this book & I'm just the exception....)

Normally, I enjoy long books. This one (at 600+ pages) rambled and the writing style was ok, but nothing amazing. (Perhaps something got lost in translation? I don't know.) I did wish for stonger, better vocabulary at points in the story. I also wished for better characters; most were mediocre & weren't really characters I cared about. The book is mainly three separate stories that are somewhat intertwined. I don't want to give too many details so as not to spoil it for anyone who does want to read it. Overall, I found the first section fairly slow. The second section improved, but within a short time, I was starting to feel cynical & was waiting for some parlor trick to be revealed (both for the section & for the whole book). The author seemed to (heavily, imo) borrow ideas, themes, etc... from many, many books/authors (The Time Traveler's Wife; The Eyre Affair; Charles Dickens, Plato, etc...) rather than being more original, thought-provoking, & unique (as I had hoped). I liked the third section best & spent most of the time thinking that I had finally reached the meat of the book, yet I felt blasé at the ending.

I enjoy unique & surreal books, so perhaps I'm somewhat unsatisfied by this one purely because I have read some very talented, very unique authors (Jonathan Carroll, Haruki Murakami, Mark Hodder, Jasper Fforde) & Félix J. Palma's book just didn't end up being enticing by comparison.

The Map of Time is classified as historical fiction, romance, thriller, mystery, sci-fi, and steampunk -- or as a variation/combination of all of those categories. My advice, if that sounds appealing, is to instead read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. Hodder's book is head & shoulders above this one in writing style, storytelling, and sheer ingenuity. In fact, I think any of the authors I mentioned in the previous paragraph would give you more satisfaction for your reading time, so please check them out if you are so inclined.

Geesh, I'm having a hard time finding a book to stick with. I've yet again picked up a book and then put it aside. I just can't decide what I'm in the mood to read.

When I'm in a mood like that, I sometimes pick up a book I've already read and enjoyed. I'm thoroughly enjoying my upteenth read of LOTR, and am toying with re-reading some Sherlock Holmes mysteries or Agatha Christie afterwards.

Good luck finding a book worth keeping open :)

I finished The Somnambulist today.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was the author's first novel & I think he did a pretty decent job for a first novel. There were some weak points (definite overuse of his thesaurus at times) & some vague or unresolved items in the story. It was unique & moved along at a pretty brisk pace. It's kind-of, sort-of a Victorian style thriller w/ a large bit of the unusual, weird, & macabre tossed in, along w/ some very dark humor (which I found funny but some might not).

I'd give it a qualified recommendation for those who enjoy a genre like this. If you're interested in the book, I like the Washington Post's review of The Somnambulist.