Menu

Pencils that have non-breaking leads?

tammyw

Using General's All-Art sharpeners will give you a stubby tip that resists much abuse.

See, it's not the tip that breaks, it's the internal lead. So let's say I sharpen it to a nice point, then start writing with it, the lead wiggles until it falls out. It's like the inside of each pencil lead has been broken into many small pieces. All our pencils seem to end up this way :(

See, that's what we have, and they've still broken :(

My Ticonderogas were all like that too. I think they are abused in shipment or manufacture somewhere along the line. Mine started breaking right out of the box.

Last pencils I bought were the Dixon pencils from Walmart. (They make the Ticonderogas btw.). They are cheaper, and don't seem to have that problem. I am also disallowing any round pencil use for school work this year. Those smencils I got the kids for their stockings? They can keep them in their room, but they are just too distracting for everyday schoolwork.

This year, I am also encouraging the use of ink pens--even for math. No more fiddling around with erasing every little mistake. (I tell them to just draw ONE line through and continue.) I am going to be the erasing nazi this year. Drives me batty when they sit for several minutes erasing something. :willy_nilly:

Now I know why some teachers were so particular about this stuff when I was in school.

Ah. My son drops his pencils all the time. I have the best luck with "quality"

http://www.staedtler.com/graphite_pencils.Staedtler

I get B or HB. No breakage.

Or, consider a carpet. :)

Thanks for that recommendation, kalanamak! As an art teacher, I use Staedtler erasers pretty much exclusively because they are the best, but I totally forgot that they also make pencils! I used their drawing pencils way back while I was in art school and I liked them. As I just followed your link and read about their pencils on the website this morning I got all inspired to get them again, not just for drawing, but for school too.

Blessings,

Lucinda

See, that's what we have, and they've still broken :(

Us too. I thought getting them would solve the problem and it's driving me crazy. We don't even have to drop them... the lead just constantly wiggles ad falls out.

ETA: We have 4 boxes of Dixon and no luck there either. I mean my kids are young, so I'm sure that plays in, but seriously. We are 3 weeks in and we've worn out 24 pencils between 3 kids. At that pace, I'll spend a fortune by June.

Edited by Stacie Leigh

We've switched to mechanical pencils. No broken leads, no more sharpening, no more little pencil shavings all over the place, no nubby pencils with teeth marks all over them, no more erasers breaking off or wearing down before the pencil is used up and hence, no more of those erasers stuck on top of the pencil that my 2yo thinks are great to put in her mouth. I find them to be less smudgy too. I don't even allow regular pencils in the house anymore with the exception of good quality drawing pencils.

We've switched to mechanical pencils. No broken leads, no more sharpening, no more little pencil shavings all over the place, no nubby pencils with teeth marks all over them, no more erasers breaking off or wearing down before the pencil is used up and hence, no more of those erasers stuck on top of the pencil that my 2yo thinks are great to put in her mouth. I find them to be less smudgy too. I don't even allow regular pencils in the house anymore with the exception of good quality drawing pencils.

Unfortunately we tried mechanical pencils about six months ago. My husband bought a pack of 6 or so. Well DS5 emptied every single one and we are still to this day finding little leads all over the house.

See, it's not the tip that breaks, it's the internal lead. So let's say I sharpen it to a nice point, then start writing with it, the lead wiggles until it falls out. It's like the inside of each pencil lead has been broken into many small pieces. All our pencils seem to end up this way :(

I've had that happen too, but it was from the pencils being used as drum sticks on edge of the table. :glare:

These are also very tough. They are smaller than the round Laddie's and not a "little child" pencil at all. The tri-shape means it doesn't roll. My beloved Arrow eraser caps fit on them, too. Nice creamy line with little smudging.

http://www.amazon.com/PENCILS-TRY-REX-INTERMED-12-PK/dp/B000QE16YE/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1315009959&sr=8-17

These are also very tough. They are smaller than the round Laddie's and not a "little child" pencil at all. The tri-shape means it doesn't roll. My beloved Arrow eraser caps fit on them, too. Nice creamy line with little smudging.

http://www.amazon.com/PENCILS-TRY-REX-INTERMED-12-PK/dp/B000QE16YE/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1315009959&sr=8-17

Those look interesting! I wish they had free prime shipping!

made in Germany. Do not, I say, do not buy pencils made in China or the US. They are Cr&p. German made penicils are made of high quality materials. My kids have used their Faber Castells all week without even having to sharpen them. Totally worth the money.

Where are you buying yours? Any free shipping?