Menu

August Crafters Challenge!

I know you're disappointed that I can't wow you with a picture of my misshapen knitted square. The camera-computer cord isn't working with my computer at the moment. You'll just have to trust me that it turned out pretty well. :tongue_smilie:

So I'm here, ready and waiting to see pictorial evidence of your magnificence!

Rosie

Caterpillar, where have you been? :rolleyes::tongue_smilie:

Bah I haven't made anything yet. My yarn is in a box in the woodshed. If you wouldn't mind waiting until September I will be able to post something. I want to get a new pattern and new yarn :)

I can only wait until September if you can bully someone to post a pic of their work TODAY!

I am a desperate woman.

Rosie

I finally have a photo! :) Here are the roman blinds I made, and the birthday bunting. I meant to have photos of a finished sweater and hat, and the beginnings of a hooded cardi for DS4, but I didn't remember. If I get a chance tomorrow or the next, I'll add them.

post-19547-13535085427998_thumb.jpg

I'm so jealous of all you people who sew. August was hat month for me.

ETA: In the first two pics the hats are made from sock yarn. The colorful ones in the second pic are various scraps put together. I really like the way they turned out. The second two hats are made from wool I recycled from a thrift store sweater. I dyed it with koolaid and Wilton's food gel.

Edited by Cinder

Yay for marvelousness! You girls are making great things!

I finally have a photo! :) Here are the roman blinds I made, and the birthday bunting. I meant to have photos of a finished sweater and hat, and the beginnings of a hooded cardi for DS4, but I didn't remember. If I get a chance tomorrow or the next, I'll add them.

You'd better keep an eye on your dog. That's one heck of a :sneaky2: face!

I'm so jealous of people who can knit 5 beanies in one month. Two measly, little squares would be my limit.

:lol:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I'm so jealous of all you people who sew. August was hat month for me.

ETA: In the first two pics the hats are made from sock yarn. The colorful ones in the second pic are various scraps put together. I really like the way they turned out. The second two hats are made from wool I recycled from a thrift store sweater. I dyed it with koolaid and Wilton's food gel.

Dying recycled wool--how intriguing!

I'm so jealous of people who can knit 5 beanies in one month. Two measly, little squares would be my limit.

:lol:

Rosie

While I did complete a pair of socks for my son the college boy (sorry, no photo of what I call his Mrs. Weasley socks), I am progressing at a snail's pace on the second sock of a pair begun months ago. It seemed that for every two rows knitted, I would rip out one. A bit on my mind the last week so for every three rows knitted, I would rip out two. Sigh...

I made two summer dresses for DD11, and 3 pairs of shorts for DS7 for their trip to Canada.

My daughter was so proud of their new dress and excitedly wore it when she met all her cousins, apparently people in Canada don't wear dresses in the summer, and she was ridiculed for being so old fashioned, they offered to take her shopping for some shorts :confused::glare:.

My daughter does wear pants etc. and had some with her, she just loves wearing dresses.

I made two summer dresses for DD11, and 3 pairs of shorts for DS7 for their trip to Canada.

My daughter was so proud of their new dress and excitedly wore it when she met all her cousins, apparently people in Canada don't wear dresses in the summer, and she was ridiculed for being so old fashioned, they offered to take her shopping for some shorts :confused::glare:.

My daughter does wear pants etc. and had some with her, she just loves wearing dresses.

Her cousins need a lesson in gracious manners.

It was not a good month for me craft-wise. I'm still knitting the scarf that was supposed to be a Gryffindor scarf. Now that the movie has come and gone, I've decided it's a Florida State scarf - same colors and it's my alma mater. So there.

I made a new fleece quillow for ds because his old one is now too short to cover him. He actually never folds it into a pillow, but likes to put his feet in the pocket. It's not very challenging to make so I almost feel like it doesn't count. You stitch around the edges and sew on a pocket. That's it.

Wow - you ladies put me to shame! Such talent on these boards!

I made a quick dress for my DD today. I think it needs a bow or something on the front. Normally I put a little apron on it, but I didn't have a good matching fabric.

08-31-11Primpressdress.jpg

Up next: baby quilt for my soon-to-be-born nephew!

Edited by thessa516
Whoa - holy big picture. How do I resize?

I made a new fleece quillow for ds because his old one is now too short to cover him. He actually never folds it into a pillow, but likes to put his feet in the pocket. It's not very challenging to make so I almost feel like it doesn't count. You stitch around the edges and sew on a pocket. That's it.

It counts. If it is no longer in pieces in a pile in the corner of the bedroom, it counts. If it is in fewer pieces than it was last month, it counts. You're inspiring people who don't think they could even sew a straight line, remember. We have an unequal ability challenge here, you know. It took the "challenge mum" seven months to reduce the time it takes to knit a square from 26 days on average, to around a fortnight.

:)

Rosie

I finished up two prayer shawls earlier this summer and during the month of August I made three of these ruffle scarves:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?language=&store=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&search=1&searchText=painted+ruffle+scarf&submit.x=23&submit.y=5

I sat with my elderly mother-in-law much of the summer and had lots of time on my hands.

Edited by ccm

I am SO excited to share... I've been working on this for 3 months!!!

The first picture is "in progress" and the last couple are finished.... BIG SMILE... lol

Also a picture of a woven rug I made for my daughter...

And curtains to match for her kitchen...

post-1955-13535085430215_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085431341_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085431696_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085432058_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085432409_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085430215_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085431341_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085431696_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085432058_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535085432409_thumb.jpg

I'm so not crafty. I made a big mess of my desk. Would that count for the challenge? ;):lol:

When I compare to my life, I am forced to judge that the above is distinctly UNchallenging!

Great work everyone!!

Maybe it is childhood memories of Wizard of Oz, but there is something so sweet about blue and white gingham. :)

Rosie

apparently people in Canada don't wear dresses in the summer, and she was ridiculed for being so old fashioned, they offered to take her shopping for some shorts :confused::glare:.

Well, of course we wear dresses in summer here!! My dd is almost 11, and she still LOVES wearing dresses, too. Maybe they just made fun of her because we can only wear shorts for about two months before it starts to get cold again, lol!

I made a quick dress for my DD today.

I LOVE this pattern.

(psssst....Jane....need peasant shirt/dress pattern - I just remembered....)