Menu

Does anyone have a pet for your classroom?

Our two guinea pigs reside in the school room. The six hamsters are upstairs. The puppy sticks with us (he had his first day of school today--that's him in my signature standing on the school table).

When we had a salamander, he lived in the playroom, which attaches to the school room.

Currently we have two cats, three hermit crabs, one tortoise and a tank full of fish.

In the past we have had crayfish, a red ear slider, praying mantis, lizards, geckos and snakes. If DS can catch it, we normally set up a habitat for the critter for a day or two. We also keep 'pet' crickets a few times a year, plus whatever caterpillars we happen to find in the garden.

We used to have a class fish (he has since died). He sat in the middle of our dining room table where we do school. My dd had class pets in preschool and wanted to have one here when she started homeschooling alongside her brother and sister. It was fun.

Lesley

We have a dog who lives in the house, and an occasional lamb wanders through from time to time. Oldest ds is allergic, so the cats stay outside; the chickens would just make a mess, so we don't let them in either.

We do sometimes keep a bug in the viewer, or caterpillars/snakes/birds/etc. in a terrarium, as we find the need. They aren't really pets, though, because we do let them go eventually.

Edited by Amy in NH

We have two clown fish and some little critters in a salt water tank. We also have two poison dart frogs. I put up a huge stink when my husband got them because he has to culture flies to feed them. Can you say :ack2:? But it's not so bad and the frogs are actually kind of cute. My husband will put a fly on his finger and let a frog snatch it up. :svengo: The things I am willing to do for my son's education

We have three cats and a dog.

Homeschool has brought us temporary pets: caterpillars and now a triops. It also led to us getting a goldfish named Tuna. The kids were quite disappointed when we found out we can't have other kinds of fish with the goldfish. We'll be getting it a companion soon. It already has the name Sauce. I never wanted fish, let alone a tank with all of the trimmings and the cleaning to go with it. Ugh!

We had a pair of gerbils and a cat that would sit on our books.

I loved the idea of one critter from each catagory--reptile, bird, mammal, fish (and what's the other one?). Anyway, that's how my son's Montessori teacher did it--they had fish, finches, a prairie dog, a lizard and...something else I can't remember!