Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week Thirty Four

Good morning dolls! Today is the start of week 34 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - G is for Gansky. Discovered Alton Gansky last year and he writes supernatural thrillers along the lines of Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. Spooky, spine tingling, chilling. My kind of books. Be sure to check him out.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 33

I read eight books this week (because walking 1.4 miles each day, juicing, and resting in one place or another as I read and wrote is how I spent Days 4-9 post-surgery). This puts my year-to-date total at 74.

â–  Joy for Beginners (Erica Bauermeister)

Fiction. File this one under "reading like a girl" -- or "perfect for bed rest." Kate has survived cancer. Accepting the challenge to go on white-rafting trip to celebrate her victory, she, in turn, issues each of her friends a life challenge. What could have been predictable and trite ended up being warm and life-affirming.

â–  Boy Heaven (Laura Kasischke)

â–  Feathered(Laura Kasischke)

YA fiction. Speaking of reading like a girl... I picked up several Kasischke novels after enjoying The Raising and The Life Before Her Eyes in May. Boy Heaven is an urban legend framed as a ghost story, and this is just the sort of story my fifteen-year-old self would have loved, although I think my fifteen-year-old self would have been rather perplexed by Feathered. My forty-seven-year-old thought both were pretty terrific, and I'll now be tempted to urge any teen who murmurs, "Spring break," in my presence to read the latter. Carefully.

â–  Daytripper(Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon)

Graphic novel. From a Publisher's Weekly review earlier this year:

A stunning, moving story about one man's life and all the possibilities to be realized or lost along the way. Brothers BĂƒÂ¡ and Moon take readers through the life of a man named BrĂƒÂ¡s de Oliva Domingos, selecting a series of individual events of great significance to BrĂƒÂ¡s, showing each as if it could be the day BrĂƒÂ¡s dies, and in so doing creating an examination of family, friendship, love, art, life, and death that urges the reader to turn the same careful inspection on their own life.

Beautiful art and beautiful writing. I loved this book.

â–  In a Perfect World(Laura Kasischke)

Fiction. As much as I've been enjoying my whirlwind tour of Kasischke's oeuvre, I was fairly certain she could no longer surprise me. I was wrong. In a Perfect World coyly misleads an inattentive reader into thinking that it will be a beautifully written exploration of otherwise mundane subjects: a doomed marriage and an equally doomed foray into step-motherhood. And then it blossoms into a melancholy meditation on the end of the world as we know it and how we might become our most authentic selves when it all falls apart. If my previous recommendations haven't persuaded you to give a Kasischke a try, let this one do so. Good, good stuff here, folks.

â–  The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction (Alan Jacobs)

Non-fiction. Highly recommended. Chapbook entry here; two other related entries here and here.

â–  One Day (David Nicholls)

Fiction. Nicholls writes so well that it almost saddens me to admit how much this silly book annoyed me. I will tell you that I started and stopped and skipped ahead so many times that when I finally returned to it this month I was essentially rereading the entire book (which, I'm sure, added to my annoyance because who would willingly reread this?). Perhaps I was also annoyed by the cloying advertisements for the opening of what will likely be a heavy-handed adaptation of the book starring Anne Hathaway as the -- SPOILER ALERT! -- doomed-from-the-moment-she-met-'im Emma.

â–  The Idle Parent (Tom Hodgkinson)

Non-fiction. Apparently just as it took me a year to finish One Day, it took me a year to finish The Idle Parent. I was thinking about reading it in July and then acquired it later that month. I must have begun reading it because I quoted from it in August. And then? Nothing. It was tucked away with a bookmark, and as I did with One Day, I returned to it during my recovery this month -- though with much happier results. I must admit that Hodgkinson's tra-la-la paean to benignly neglectful parenting is probably best read in snippets because reading it all at once might put one in mind of Polonius' collection of platitudes masquerading as wisdom. Chapbook entry here and another related entry here.

Edited by Mental multivitamin

This week I am reading "Little Town On The Prairie" with my daughter.

As for myself, I am reading "A Feast For Crows" by George R.R. Martin (fourth in the Game of Thrones/Song Of Ice and Fire series).

But I stopped that one temporarily for a quickie read (finishing it within two days of reading) called "Darkfever" by Karen Marie Moning (first in a series, human girl finds out she's got abilities and gets involved with fairy/supernatural stuff kind of thing). It arrived via interlibrary loan so I wanted to read it quick and get it back to them.

Should finish it today and will get back to A Feast For Crows which is over 900 pages long. Hopefully I'll finish it on time and not have to pay late fees like I did for A Storm of Swords. :D

I've fallen in love with Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire series and now reading # 6 The Killing Dance. Just finished reading Ann Patchett's State of Wonder. At first wasn't sure about the story, but it grew on me and by the end had me teary eyed.

Leaving for Seattle tomorrow and will be reading Alton Gansky's Out of Time on the plane. O title for my a to z by title challenge. Going to have to be creative for Q. Will be staying at Cherry Adair's guesthouse on Lake Morton for a week - won the stay through diabetes charity auction. So excited. She has a new book coming out on the 30th Riptide. Looking forward to reading it. She writes intense romantic and paranormal suspense stories.

I am continuing on with Elswyth Thane's "Williamsburg Series" and thoroughly enjoying it. I won't write comments as I have done that in previous posts and don't want to be repetitious! Will just say that, if you like historical fiction that is accurate on the history, and that follows its affects on the fictional lives of several generations of a few families, then you might enjoy this old series. :001_smile:

This week, I concluded:

#54 - Ever After (vol. 3)

Today, I will begin:

#55 - The Light Heart (vol. 4)

â–  Daytripper(Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon)

That sounds really great! Thanks for the recommendation.

I've fallen in love with Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire series and now reading # 6 The Killing Dance. Just finished reading Ann Patchett's State of Wonder. At first wasn't sure about the story, but it grew on me and by the end had me teary eyed.

I need to check out the Anita Blake series. Thanks also for the review of Patchett's book. I've been wondering about that one. I loved one of hers (Bel Canto) & disliked another (The Patron Saint of Liars), so I can't decide whether or not to try State of Wonder.

Have fun on your trip. I'm jealous -- I love Seattle!

I feel like I've been in a reading slump a bit this week. There was a lot going on & sometimes I just didn't have concentration to put into my reading.

What I'm reading....

Middlemarch (for my book club): On one hand, it is actually more amusing than I thought it would be. On the other hand, I don't find it entirely gripping & it's pretty easy for me to put down after about 2 chapters. Going at that rate, I'll be a long time reading the 800 or so pages!

Simplicity Parenting: The author has some sage advice, however his writing style + the page layout/design are driving me crazy in that they are the antithesis of simplicity. :tongue_smilie: (Imho.)

The Adventurer's Handbook: Life Lessons from History's Great Explorers: I love reading true adventure books, so I thought this book would be very appealing. It is fine (maybe not as great as I was expecting) -- kind of a compendium of info gleaned from reading all the great adventure stories. Hmmm, could I say it's something almost like a Cliff Notes version to adventuring? Perhaps. I enjoy the true adventure books themselves more than this book, but this would be good for trivia buffs or anyone who enjoys reading small snippets of info that include things such as how to deal with an anaconda attack, what animals you can eat (seal, penguin, dog, etc...), and the knowlege that Danish explorer Peter Freuchen used a hammer to remove his frostbitten toes (rather than taking up an Eskimo shaman's offer to bite off his toes in order to keep evil spirits away).

Books read as of July 2011:

The Reluctant Entertainer

A Curable Romantic

A Reliable Wife

Living the Simple Life

The Music of Chance

The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise

Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui

The Book of Jhereg

The Lost Symbol

Storm Front

The Clutter Cure

Edited by Stacia

Still reading and enjoying I Still Dream About You.

There's just one part of the book that I find rather annoying. She keeps repeating this and going on and on about it.

Other parts of the book are very good.

I always like Fannie Flagg. Light, fun, humorous, full of hope and has a nice bit of depth as well.

Overall, this is not my favorite Fannie Flagg book by any means, but I am liking it a lot.

I-Still-Dream-About-You-905276.jpg

I've read two books this week:

The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant At a Moment's Notice by Todd Henry. It's almost an organization book for creatives - how to organize your time and energy to avoid burn-out. I enjoyed it.

Plastic: A Toxic Love Story I still have a chapter to go, but this one has been very interesting. It's very balanced. At one moment you think plastic is of the devil, and the next moment, it's the thing to save the world. Quite fascinating, and highly recommended!

Tonight, I'll start in on my first Alice Hoffman book: The River King. She came highly recommended from a friend (who stuffed the book in my library bag and told me I didn't have a choice in the matter!). It's been weeks since I've read fiction, so I'm looking forward to it.

Leaving for Seattle tomorrow and will be reading Alton Gansky's Out of Time on the plane. O title for my a to z by title challenge. Going to have to be creative for Q. Will be staying at Cherry Adair's guesthouse on Lake Morton for a week - won the stay through diabetes charity auction. So excited. She has a new book coming out on the 30th Riptide. Looking forward to reading it. She writes intense romantic and paranormal suspense stories.

I really like the Anita Blake series- I've read them all. And also the Merry Gentry series by the same author.

The JR Ward "Black Dagger Brotherhood" books are great...I think I even like them better than the Anita Blake books!

And if you like all those, you'll probably enjoy the ones by Karen Marie Moning too- I'm just finishing up the first in the series called Darkfever...it's a good, easy/quick read along the same lines as the ones mentioned above.

You know you're a little obsessed with this thread when you avoid switching on your computer all day so you can finish a book in time to have something to post!

So, at 6:30pm my computer is on, and I can say that I read The Patience of the Spider by Andrea Camilleri this week. It is a crime novel translated from Italian, and set in Sicily, and is part of the Inspector Montalbano mystery series. It was fun, and had the feel of an old-fashioned "who done it". I find it interesting to see the different flavours that different cultures bring to their crime novels. One of the reviews spoke of Camilleri capturing "the sense of despair that fill(s) the air of Sicily". Perhaps it's just this book in the series, but after reading the Scottish Gus Drury crime series I have to say that Sicilian despair doesn't have anything on Scottish despair!

I'm still plodding along with The Liberated Bride, and still simultaneously enjoying it and making no headway. The same applies to listening to The Three Musketeers from Librivox.

I'll try something other than crime novels this week - I'm trying to decide between Julie & Julia (the book behind the Meryl Streep movie of the same name) or Not a Fairy Tale (by a South African author).

Edited by nd293

You know you're a little obsessed with this thread when you avoid switching on your computer all day so you can finish a book in time to have something to post!

:lol::lol:

I have been avoiding this thread a little because I'm getting way behind! I have been doing so much during the day, that by the time I get in bed, where I do most of my reading, I'm so tired that I read 3 pages and zonk out. Dh comes in and turns the lights out and removes the book from my curled up hand.

I did finish Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History this week, and am still working on Malpertuis, but last night I also started Girls in Trucks because Malpertuis was in the other room and I didn't feel like getting out of bed! :tongue_smilie:

I read "The Secret Diary of Charlotte Bronte" by Syrie James--loved it. Maybe not the best writing but I was hooked on the story. I did not know that Miss Bronte was married!

Book #43--The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen. I am also reading "Organized Simplicity" by Tsh Oxenreider.

Not a Fairy Tale (by a South African author).

I must admit I've done that too! :tongue_smilie::lol:

"Not a Fairy Tale" looks quite good. I'm going to see if our library has it.

I am cheating and listening to Inkdeath unabridged rather than reading because it allows me to get things done at the same time, which I really need to do. I finally sewed on a button, managed to dust our bedroom which holds our computer, (not a laptop), dh's office, etc.

Book #43--The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen.

I loved this book! Her descriptions are mouth-watering :D Who wouldn't want a sweet sense?! I also read "Garden Spells." I liked it just as well but there was more R scenes. Now if she would just stop with that, I would be so happy ;)

I finished listening to Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Can I count books on tape? :D I spent a lot of time in the car driving my oldest back and forth to architecture camp so it was a great time filler. I enjoyed this book because it gave me some answers to things I've noticed about my body and weight gain. I've started to make some diet changes based on what I learned.

I read The Glass Castle. Not sure what I thought about this book because I'm still mad at the father!

My next picks were a couple from the Amazon recommendations that come in my inbox. I started S** on the Moon by Ben Mezrich but really disliked the main character so I won't be reading this.

Now I've started Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff. It's a non-fiction WWII story about a plane that goes down in New Guinea. So far it's interesting.

Thought all my fellow book-lovers on this thread would enjoy these paragraphs from The Adventurer's Handbook: Life Lessons from History's Great Explorers:

"In 1902, in a remote village in northern Pakistan, the eccentric British climber Aleister Crowley had one of the strangest arguments in the history of exploration. Oscar Eckenstein, the co-leader of his expedition to the Karakoram Range, demanded that Crowley should abandon his large case of books in order to reduce their baggage. It seemed like a reasonable request, as they were about to trek up the Baltoro glacier, but Crowley refused point blank to do so and threatened to leave altogether; as he maintained later, he would 'rather bear physical starvation than intellectual starvation.' Eventually, Crowley won the day.

He wasn't the only explorer to recognize the importance of books. Henry Morton Stanley took seven tons of them on his second expedition to Africa. Polar expeditions frequently took large libraries; Ernest Shackleton was fond of reading Robert Browning, and Robert Falcon Scott was partial to the works of Charles Darwin.

Peter Freuchen, the Danish explorer, once lost a whole crate of books at the beginning of a long hunting trip in Greenland. He was inconsolable until an Eskimo from a local settlement tracked him down with a book that had been recovered from the ice. For the next couple of months his bedtime companion was the exciting-sounding tome The Relationship between Denmark and the Popes at Avignon by Dr. L. Moltesen. Reading it night after night, Freuchen reached the stage where he knew most of the book by heart. Slowly he began to hate it and to fantasize about killing its author. Years later when he returned to Denmark, a dinner was given in his honor and to his amazement he found himself next to Dr. Moltesen. After several hours, trying to keep his inner rage at bay, Freuchen introduced himself to the author and told him the story of the book, leaving out his homocidal fantasies. Subsequently, Freuchen had his copy of the book lavishly rebound before presenting it to the author, sea water and oil stains included."

Can I come back in?:) I haven't posted in a while in this thread. I'm a bit behind but not too far. I've read 29 books so far this year.

I just finished Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante this morning. I just started it yesterday. I read about it in a book thread here the other day. It was pretty chilling-the story of a surgeon forced to retire due to early onset Alzheimer's. It's told from her perspective.

It was especially meaningful to me is my dad is quickly advancing in his Alzheimer's.

I also finished Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg on Monday.

Today I started And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

I finished listening to Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.

I've been meaning to read this for a long time. I have a general idea of what he says and agree with him, but I'd still like to read it. My problem these days: not in the mood for non-fiction at all. Wish I was. Oh well. At least it's not self-help ;), so there is hope. I may get it soon.

I read The Glass Castle. Not sure what I thought about this book because I'm still mad at the father!

I read both of her books and the parents drove me absolutely nuts. I wanted to clobber that dad on the head. :glare:

Thought all my fellow book-lovers on this thread would enjoy these paragraphs from The Adventurer's Handbook: Life Lessons from History's Great Explorers

Sounds really interesting. :)

I finished listening to Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Can I count books on tape? :D I spent a lot of time in the car driving my oldest back and forth to architecture camp so it was a great time filler. I enjoyed this book because it gave me some answers to things I've noticed about my body and weight gain. I've started to make some diet changes based on what I learned.

Just ordered it from the library.

I think the Mom's boderline personality matched the Dad's Bi-polar, PD for PD. I mean, he finally gets sober and gets a job and she goes and find him!

QUOTE]

Has anyone read "Uglies"

I've felt that way ever since I finished the Stieg Larsson books! I've got a Maeve Binchy book waiting in the wings

Yes, that may be it for me also. :D Just love the Stieg Larsson books and wish so much that he had been able to write the entire series.

Also love Maeve Binchy :).

For the 2nd time, I started and gave up on The Moonflower Vine

Just couldn't get into it and yet it has very good reviews. Couldn't concentrate or something. :confused:

In-laws are back in Europe, so now I can return to more serious reading. (I read nothing but original, facsimile Nancy Drew while they were here.):D

I've begun Parents and Children by Charlotte M. Mason. I'm only on page 60, but so far it's good stuff. :)

"The heroes of science should be their heroes; the great names...should be household words."

"There is no way of escape for parents; they must needs be 'inspirers' to their children..."

I'm usually not only to mark in my books, but books like this are an exception. I simply cannot read this without a fine highlighting pen in hand.

This is on my wish list. I'm particularly interested since this is one of my favorite places in Paris. :)

I think it was Robin (mytwoblessings) that posted she had read this a few weeks ago, and so I borrowed it from the library. It's good, so far. And, yes, the setting is cool, because when we visited Paris we stayed in the Marais, and in the front of the book there's a map, and I'm like, "ooh, there's the street our hotel was on!" :lol: I'm dying to go back to Paris now.

Argh! I can't wait to get to the library tomorrow! I've had a week of starting off books, loving the first chapter, then wondering how such a great chapter could be followed up by such burbling!

How can a book that includes this turn out to be so full of mumbo jumbo?

"Of universes, we have just the one, so we don't know whether this is the way you'd expect a universe to be."

So promising, isn't it?

Wish me luck with my borrowing tomorrow, would you? !!

Rosie

we stayed in the Marais, and in the front of the book there's a map, and I'm like, "ooh, there's the street our hotel was on!" :lol: I'm dying to go back to Paris now.

Me too. Would love to go back. Midnight In Paris is a really nice movie.

Midnight-in-Paris-une-affiche-inspiree-de-Van-Gogh_mode_une.jpg

We loved Le Marais. Had the best falafels there and really enjoyed this garden.

secret-garden.jpg

You were lucky to have stayed there, although we weren't too far from it. The B&B lady we stayed at, however, was just horrible ... :glare:

Wish me luck with my borrowing tomorrow, would you? !!

Rosie, I hear you and can fully relate. :grouphug:

As you may know, if a book doesn't grab me (and many haven't recently) in the first 10%, I give up on it. Life is too short to read things that don't fully appeal to me.

Good luck with finding something you love, or, at the very least, like :).

Rosie, I hear you and can fully relate. :grouphug:

As you may know, if a book doesn't grab me (and many haven't recently) in the first 10%, I give up on it. Life is too short to read things that don't fully appeal to me.

Good luck with finding something you love, or, at the very least, like :).

:)

I found some of Sarah Addison Allen's books. I'd only read one of hers, but it was so tasty!

The thread a few weeks back about keeping a quote book inspired me to start writing down what I found. How's this for a good sentence?

"The two giant oaks in the front yard looked like flustered ladies caught in mid curtsy, their starched green leaf-dresses swaying in the wind."

Five pages later, there was another mention of trees moving in the wind, and that image came right back to me.

Ha. Happiness. :)

So very, very far behind ... but I did finish Sense & Sensibility. Good thing re-reads are allowed.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book) - Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

14. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer

15. The Organized Heart - Staci Eastin

16. Your Home: A Place of Grace - Susan Hunt

17. Christian Encounters: Jane Austen - Peter Leithart

18. Bambi: A Life in the Woods - Victor Salten

19. Aunt Jane's Hero - Elizabeth Prentiss

20. The Magician's Nephew (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

21. The Horse and His Boy (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

22. Beauty for Truth's Sake - Stratford Caldecott

23. A Mother's Rule of Life - Holly Pierlot

24. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

25. Persuasion - Jane Austen

26. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

I found some of Sarah Addison Allen's books. I'd only read one of hers, but it was so tasty!

"The two giant oaks in the front yard looked like flustered ladies caught in mid curtsy, their starched green leaf-dresses swaying in the wind."

Five pages later, there was another mention of trees moving in the wind, and that image came right back to me.

Rosie, yay! Happy that you found what you seem to really like. :D Two of her books are on my wish list.

Those quotes sound soooo nice. Makes me want to just be there. :)

Girl+Who+Chased+the+Moon+cover.jpg

I am also reading The Hobbit with my little'uns....so much fun.

We just started this as our read-aloud also. I have to say that I am intimidated by it. Always have been. But so far, so good. :)

Went camping for two weeks so a little behind posting.

Read the 1st 4 Stephanie Plum, loved her.

Read the 7 books in John Marsden's Tomorrow series. Think, Red Dawn, set in Australia. Enjoyed them.

Now reading Escape, Carolyn Jessup and Lab 257, Michael Carroll

Not really enjoying either of them.

Oh, also read gazillions of articles on Lyme disease including Burrascano's Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease 16th edition and the entire ISLDA site articles and everything on Lymenet. My eyes are bleeding. Off Topic a bit but related to my reading....

DD 15 was finally diagnosed with Lyme after more than 3 years of mystery illnesses.

Dr. is trying to come up with the best treatment protocol and is educating herself as well. It is a little scary, she now has CNS issues, blurred vision, blackouts, vertigo, dizziness, severe neck and shoulder pain in addition to the long term headaches, rashes and joint issues. Hence the reading. Thankful for the "send to kindle" plug in for Firefox.

How are you liking The Crystal Cave? I remember enjoying it very much. :)

I'm not that far into it yet but I like it.

Oh, also read gazillions of articles on Lyme disease including Burrascano's Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease 16th edition and the entire ISLDA site articles and everything on Lymenet. My eyes are bleeding. Off Topic a bit but related to my reading....

DD 15 was finally diagnosed with Lyme after more than 3 years of mystery illnesses.

Dr. is trying to come up with the best treatment protocol and is educating herself as well. It is a little scary, she now has CNS issues, blurred vision, blackouts, vertigo, dizziness, severe neck and shoulder pain in addition to the long term headaches, rashes and joint issues. Hence the reading. Thankful for the "send to kindle" plug in for Firefox.

I'm sorry your dd has been and is so sick.