Menu

Increased Awana fees?

Our church raised the Awana registration fees from $40 per child (which I thought was high!) to $50 per child, with a $150 cap per family. Does anyone else pay this much for Awana?? Especially with the kids reusing vests, etc. for the years they don't move up, it seems like Awana shouldn't cost that much!

I've emailed our children's ministry director to ask specifically why the increase. I'm wondering what other churches are paying, though.

We paid 17 dollars per child last year, with a discount for 3 or more children. I have 3, so I paid 15 dollars per child for a total of 45 dollars. Instead of paying up front, you could pay 50 cents per meeting.

Shirts/vests/bags were a separate cost. I only needed a bag for my Cubbie (not technically a need, but his brothers both had bags). The first book was included in the fee.

We are registering this Wednesday, so I don't know if prices have increased from last year or not. My oldest is moving up to TNT this year, so he will need a uniform. The other kids are set.

When I went as a kid, I don't know what the fees were because they were optional and we were poor. In fact, even the book costs were "suggested donations."

Now my kids go to AWANA at the same church, and it is $35/year/child, plus books and uniforms (uniforms are half price if you get a used one).

Are books included in your fees? I just wrote a check for $98 today. That includes one Journey book, one Trek book, one Sparks book and dues for 3. Our club charges $25 per child for dues, reduced to $45 for 2 children and capped at $60 for 3 or more. We didn't have to buy any new uniforms this year so our cost was a little lower.

ETA: Our club holds a lot of activities. Maybe yours wants to increase various activities thus the higher cost?

Edited by Cinder

Yes, books and uniforms are included in that. But our church doesn't offer a discount for those who already have a uniform. It's $50 for every child. That doesn't make sense to me. I can't imagine what they possibly use the $50 for if my child just needs a $10 book and some stickers or jewels for their badge throughout the year.

Does your cost include books and vests/uniforms?

I pay:

* $9.99 per book.

*$10 if my child needs Cubbie or Sparky vest

*$13 per green T&T t-shirt

*$14 per blue/white T&T jersey

Plus $0.50 per week dues.

That would be the minimum costs.

I think asking the director *why* the higher prices would be fine. I can tell you that prices in the AWANA catalog for the above materials did not significantly increase this year.

Yes, books and uniforms are included in that. But our church doesn't offer a discount for those who already have a uniform. It's $50 for every child. That doesn't make sense to me. I can't imagine what they possibly use the $50 for if my child just needs a $10 book and some stickers or jewels for their badge throughout the year.

Then ask. I think it's a valid question: "Why must I pay for anything other than the book and weekly dues??"

When DS did Awana's in FL, at a HUGE church (as in owned 5 downtown city blocks all with different church building, and the Children's Ministry building was one city block in itself!!), we paid $50. That was for a TShirt (they didn't do vests) and all the books he went through that year (which was finished one and moved into second one). They had lots of fun activities, games, snacks, etc, so I assume the cost went to those things. And if I really wanted to nickel and dime it, I guess you could count the cost of keeping the building open, electricity, etc, and security on site (they were downtown after all), all factor into that cost too, since that was the only reason why that building would have been open at that time.

When we moved to NC, at a big (but no where near AS big as the one in FL) church, we did not pay anything for Awana's.

I also want to point out that the Awana's at the NC church where is was free, which was a big fancy newer-building type of church so I knew the church wasn't hurting for funds, the Awana's program was pretty bad. Disorganized, lacking in FUN, overall a big disappointment for me, as I had signed second DS up for Awana's (older DS had aged out) because I know how much fun older DS had at Awana's at the church in FL. So I would much rather pay $50 for the fun, organized, active Awana program, than have a disorganized, boring free program.

Edited by Samiam

For ours, you buy the books/vest (unless you can't afford it, then those are free) and there are 25 cent dues per week. But most kids forget the dues. The dues help the church to cover the prizes in the awana store and the special outings (like going bowling) and snacks for parties.

The AWANA at our church is $20 per child with a $40 max per family. Then each child is supposed to bring $0.50 each week, and I think that adds up to $17.50 for the year. The fees cover their books, badges, and uniform. An $8 bad is optional, but we got them one last year because it's so much easier to keep up with their stuff that way. So for my 3 girls, it would be $116.50 including the bags.

We don't know if we are doing AWANA again, but for other reasons than the price. I thought it was high, but I guess it's average after reading the prices some of you have to pay.

Currently we pay $40 per child. We have been involved in several Awana programs over the years, and they all had different ways to cover the costs. Besides uniforms and books, remember special theme night activities and Awana store night. Those special activities can really add up.

Also, the fees cover awards. I'm not only talking about the regular awads like wings, jewels and patches, it needs to cover the end of year awards. These awards cost about $3 each for Cubbies and 1st & 2nd books in Sparks, and about $10 for 3rd book in Sparks. In T&T the 1st book award is $5, 2nd book: $10, 3rd book: $12, and Timothy award is $19.

So these costs are figured into Awana fees. Many churches have multiple child discounts and scholarship programs to help those in need. If your child is involved in scouts or sports, how much do you pay to participate in those?

Awana isn't Sunday School, which is free to participate in. Awana is a special program that includes a lot of incentives for the children who participate. Some churches have a budget that covers most of the costs, some don't. Only you can decide if this is the best use of your family's limited budget.

Susan

Our church raised the Awana registration fees from $40 per child (which I thought was high!) to $50 per child, with a $150 cap per family. Does anyone else pay this much for Awana?? Especially with the kids reusing vests, etc. for the years they don't move up, it seems like Awana shouldn't cost that much!

I've emailed our children's ministry director to ask specifically why the increase. I'm wondering what other churches are paying, though.

I think the one my dc were involved in last year is probably about that much. We started in Jan and for 1/2 year, I think it was $25 per child, but that did include nice shirts. I don't think they do vests there (maybe for the little little kids) - all the older kids had different shirts corresponding to their class.