Menu

WWYD? 6 yo says he doesn't enjoy his math

Halcyon

My just-turned-6 year old, about whom I have posted before, has lately been saying he "doesn't like" his math anymore. He is the sort who enjoys variety, jumping from project to project, book to book. When I switched from Miquon after we completed Orange (which he initially "loved") to Singapore (which he also "loved") he was very happy. But then the "newness" fades and he says he doesn't enjoy Singapore anymore. We've also done MM1A (again, "loved" initially-very enthusiastic). It's not that he's bored-the material is the right level for him. But I don't want to switch curriculum, and I feel Singapore is a great fit for him, to be honest. He does his work quickly and correctly once he sits down, and will often complete more pages than requested once he gets going. I almost feel like LOF Elementary would be a fun addition for him, but I am wary of indulging his "new is better" mindset to much. Singapore is, and will continue to be, our primary math curriculum, and he needs to recognize that, right?

Some days he'll say he doesn't want to do math, but then he'll sit down with the book and whip out 8 pages. So it seems once he gets going, he's fine. I am thinking I might have him create a mini book or lap book of the questions in Singapore, complete with flaps that open and characters "asking" the questions-sort of a comic book. But I am quite sure that eventually he'll still want something "new". I also think, on some level, that he just doesn't like being told what to do, and when to do it.

At what point do I just say "Just do your work"--which I actually have found myself saying. He's just 6 and I don't want him to perceive math as a chore.

ETA: He also does a variety of online math games, worksheets from Teacher File Box such as Fairy Tale Math..... I think I will also try pulling out our Family math book, as he does like hands-on activities.

Edited by Halcyon

At what point do I just say "Just do your work"--which I actually have found myself saying.

Now. He's used three different curricula and had the same response to each. You've chosen Singapore as the best program for him. That's your job. His job is to do his work.

He's just 6 and I don't want him to perceive math as a chore.

Not all kids like every subject. That's just life. But honestly, if he'll do 8 pages of math, he doesn't perceive it as a chore. Sounds like he just likes to complain. ;)

Tara

Your job isn't to keep him entertained and happy. Your job is to give him an excellent education. Some topics will be intrinsically rewarding and interesting. Some topics we just work through. That's life. I would say that you are the relative expert, not the 6 yo. You choose the primary program, the supplements, and the fun extras that you think will provide the best education. And then he needs to just dive in and do it.

What if you take one or two days a week for something different? I've read a number of stories on the boards about people who have non-workbook math days on Fridays, for instance.

Family Math is great; so is Peggy Kaye's Games For Math, which works on exactly the same skills as workbooks do, but in the form of simple games which my dd used to love so much she'd ask to do them any time we were just playing around. ThinkFun has a number of games that work on spatial and logical reasoning, and they're available in most Barnes and Nobles or online. Marilyn Burns has a series of lesson plans based on picture books and easy chapter books; see the Math Through Literature series here:

http://www.mathsolutions.com

What if you take one or two days a week for something different? I've read a number of stories on the boards about people who have non-workbook math days on Fridays, for instance.

Family Math is great; so is Peggy Kaye's Games For Math, which works on exactly the same skills as workbooks do, but in the form of simple games which my dd used to love so much she'd ask to do them any time we were just playing around. ThinkFun has a number of games that work on spatial and logical reasoning, and they're available in most Barnes and Nobles or online. Marilyn Burns has a series of lesson plans based on picture books and easy chapter books; see the Math Through Literature series here:

www.mathsolutions.com

:iagree:

I was going to say something similar - he's six, he's ahead and he enjoys math for the most part - right now, not so much, but in the past he loves it and likes doing the work. Perhaps lightening the load a bit might help some? Rather than do five days a week, can you modify your schedule to three days of math and then two doing something math related, but not "math" per se?

Maybe one day is for math-based games and the other for math-based inquiry or reading stories about math concepts you're covering in the lessons that week?

Maybe one day to make a project that visually creates a representation of the math concepts you're working on and another day for math games?

Maybe one day for him to come up with something creative that's math-based and his own imagination and the other day for a game or story that's math related?

Mix it up maybe?

My six year old son LOVES any and all games I pick up from Kathy Richardson's Developing Number Sense books. She's written four of them, on four main topics of math, and each of them level up as far as grade 6. For instance, the second book is Addition and Subtraction, and some of the games we're doing now can be built upon for years as we move on. You can find them on Didax.com or Amazon. Our library has them, but I live in an area with lots of homeschoolers so I doubt that's the norm.

Sometimes my son needs a day where he doesn't learn something new. Sometimes he's self-aware enough to know that he won't absorb what's coming and it will be harder than usual- and he doesn't know the words for that. I think these are ideal days for re-treading. Those are the days that, although we're doing subtraction, we'll go back and do some pattern games that he knows and loves. He's still learning, polishing old skills. And it gives him some control over his choices which I hope will help him take control when he's older.

BUT- he's still six and I do still need to be the parent and move him along. I have weekly or bi-weekly goals for finishing pages in our Singapore books. I give him some freedom on when to do pages. Only once have we found ourselves cram all the workbook pages in on a Friday and he hated it enough to complain and not want to do it again. Now he's settled himself into a pace close to what I would have chosen- although he does still work in spurts. He still moves at a fast pace- he finished both A and B books in three months. We just do what others have suggested and mixed up work pages with other things.

All that and I'll say this- the age of six seems to be the pushing-boundaries age for us. My son's default answer, to anything and everything, seems to be no. Even if it's something awesome, like ice cream. So I'm wondering if, for us, this is just how our school year is going to look. God help us.

I wouldn't keep changing for him. You've tried several things -- all good materials -- and you've seen the pattern. Continuing to buy new materials every couple of months won't serve either of you well.

That said, perhaps building some variety into his week would work better. Singapore has so few problems in it, you could easily complete the Primary levels 1 per year while only doing Singapore 2-3 days a week. Then you could use a different program the other 2-3 days per week. I'm thinking something like Singapore MWF, Miquon on Tuesdays, and mix-it-up Thursdays, where you spend 30-60 minutes on "math" every week, but vary it. Play games, hand him worksheets you've printed out or one of the textbooks you've bought and set aside, or run a store "buying" and "selling" with money or... Even do Life of Fred on those days (you could finish two of the elementary books a year even just doing it once a week).

That way you allow him a sense of variety but within a structure of the programs that you know are working well for him.

But I would NOT buy him One More Program just because Yet Again he has declared "boredom" with a perfectly good math program. Diligence and perseverance are important character traits to cultivate -- and sticking with something past the initial "glow" won't hurt him. :)

I'm thinking something like Singapore MWF, Miquon on Tuesdays, and mix-it-up Thursdays, where you spend 30-60 minutes on "math" every week, but vary it.

The program I was in for elementary had 3 days a week of textbook math with 2 days of "Math Laboratory" which included games and hands-on exploration of unusual math topics. I plan to replicate the same format with my son.

My just-turned-6 year old, about whom I have posted before, has lately been saying he "doesn't like" his math anymore. He is the sort who enjoys variety, jumping from project to project, book to book. When I switched from Miquon after we completed Orange (which he initially "loved") to Singapore (which he also "loved") he was very happy. But then the "newness" fades and he says he doesn't enjoy Singapore anymore. We've also done MM1A (again, "loved" initially-very enthusiastic). It's not that he's bored-the material is the right level for him. But I don't want to switch curriculum, and I feel Singapore is a great fit for him, to be honest. He does his work quickly and correctly once he sits down, and will often complete more pages than requested once he gets going. I almost feel like LOF Elementary would be a fun addition for him, but I am wary of indulging his "new is better" mindset to much. Singapore is, and will continue to be, our primary math curriculum, and he needs to recognize that, right?

Some days he'll say he doesn't want to do math, but then he'll sit down with the book and whip out 8 pages. So it seems once he gets going, he's fine. I am thinking I might have him create a mini book or lap book of the questions in Singapore, complete with flaps that open and characters "asking" the questions-sort of a comic book. But I am quite sure that eventually he'll still want something "new". I also think, on some level, that he just doesn't like being told what to do, and when to do it.

At what point do I just say "Just do your work"--which I actually have found myself saying. He's just 6 and I don't want him to perceive math as a chore.

ETA: He also does a variety of online math games, worksheets from Teacher File Box such as Fairy Tale Math..... I think I will also try pulling out our Family math book, as he does like hands-on activities.

More Math-lab. More Socratic interaction. At this age they tend to "wander" when doing independent work.

Bill (whose son is currently narrating a battle between a couple pencils rather than using them to finish this morning's assignment ;) :D)

Once in awhile you might try taking a break, something like this: play math games with him related to recent topics, either the ones in the SM HIG's or some RightStart ones, for about 3-4 days, with no other math work. This way, he'll still spend about 30-40 minutes doing math, but none of it will be written. It may actually be a time that he sharpens his mental math skills. When my kids were that young, I found that they didn't need to do a lot of daily written work in order to learn. Plus, having someone to play a game with, even a math game, really makes it more enjoyable.

HTH!

What is his definition of "fun" when it comes to math? What's his definition of fun overall? Children do have different ideas of what is fun. Once you know what he thinks is fun you can alter his definition if it needs it, or tweak whatever program you have to give him some fun now and then.

I do think it is a desire to have learning be fun for children. And actually, I think most children do consider learning to be fun all by itself, as long as it is something they have a native interest in. Sometimes I think we do ourselves and our kids a disservice when we try to jazz up everything to make it fun. Sometimes when kids start to expect a party everyday the party ceases to be fun anymore. Then they want more and cannot be content with anything else. Just my two cents on that.

As applied to math, if he's good at math, has an aptitude for it, I'd use what you have and start encouraging him to use different ways to solve problems. Set him up some real challenges that involve some experimentation on the fourth or fifth day of math. Better yet, set him up to do a project over a week, where he has to gather data daily and do something with it on the Friday. But make the math itself the fun part, and don't be trying so hard to make fun math. Does that make sense?

I vote for math games as well. Learning math facts (assuming that's the bulk of what's going on, at least in the first half of first grade math) IS boring. He might like it more when it gets more interesting (i.e., when it gets more complicated). It would not bother me at all to skip over some "boring" pages (in SM or MM) if the content was learned another way.

ETA: depending on what the content is, I might throw in some Khan videos to spice it up, if there are any for that level. Or, maybe do a 3-month stint of EPGY with some workbook practice on the side.

Edited by wapiti

Learning math facts (assuming that's the bulk of what's going on, at least in the first half of first grade math) IS boring.
I don't know about that. Hopping from lily pad to lily pad on a number line to learn addition and subtraction can be interesting. Even if you don't draw the lily pads and simply ask the child to imagine the pencil as the frog.

Sometimes I will take a simple math fact and apply it to higher numbers or use a number chart to show that a rule found for single digits (such as adding by two) works just as well with larger numbers. For whatever reason the idea of 1+1=2 applied as 100+100=200 just tickled their brains.

Uh oh, the pencil battle has been joined by a squadron of colored pens

Who won?

What is his definition of "fun" when it comes to math? What's his definition of fun overall? Children do have different ideas of what is fun. Once you know what he thinks is fun you can alter his definition if it needs it, or tweak whatever program you have to give him some fun now and then.

I do think it is a desire to have learning be fun for children. And actually, I think most children do consider learning to be fun all by itself, as long as it is something they have a native interest in. Sometimes I think we do ourselves and our kids a disservice when we try to jazz up everything to make it fun. Sometimes when kids start to expect a party everyday the party ceases to be fun anymore. Then they want more and cannot be content with anything else. Just my two cents on that.

As applied to math, if he's good at math, has an aptitude for it, I'd use what you have and start encouraging him to use different ways to solve problems. Set him up some real challenges that involve some experimentation on the fourth or fifth day of math. Better yet, set him up to do a project over a week, where he has to gather data daily and do something with it on the Friday. But make the math itself the fun part, and don't be trying so hard to make fun math. Does that make sense?

I don't think it is a matter of "jazzing it up" as much as providing the parental involvement and interaction that children crave at this age. Just throwing workbooks at them (spoken as a father who just reviewed the 6 workbook pages he assigned this morning) is not developmentally realistic or optimal.

I'm sure there are some children who are happy to do their workbooks independently at 6, but I think those children are the exceptions.

The Math-lab style of learning is not just about "fun" (although there is nothing wrong with enjoying a subject), it is a way for parents to present ideas and concepts in ways their children understand and (being part of the process) they can insure the child has a full depth of comprehension.

And hitting things from different angles and different styles helps make sure that the children's knowledge base is applicable in different situations, and isn't limited to solving problem in the style of any given math publication.

Bill

I don't think it is a matter of "jazzing it up" as much as providing the parental involvement and interaction that children crave at this age. Just throwing workbooks at them (spoken as a father who just reviewed the 6 workbook pages he assigned this morning) is not developmentally realistic or optimal.

I'm sure there are some children who are happy to do their workbooks independently at 6, but I think those children are the exceptions.

The Math-lab style of learning is not just about "fun" (although there is nothing wrong with enjoying a subject), it is a way for parents to present ideas and concepts in ways their children understand and (being part of the process) they can insure the child has a full depth of comprehension.

And hitting things from different angles and different styles helps make sure that the children's knowledge base is applicable in different situations, and isn't limited to solving problem in the style of any given math publication.

Bill

My kids love bouncing around from one thing to another too. It keeps up their interest. If I give my son an assignment and he balks, I make him do it. But I try to change up what we do the next day. I am using Singapore along with living books, DVDs, and games. I will still use Singapore, but I supplement because my boys do well with many different math angles going on at once.

Now. He's used three different curricula and had the same response to each. You've chosen Singapore as the best program for him. That's your job. His job is to do his work.

Not all kids like every subject. That's just life. But honestly, if he'll do 8 pages of math, he doesn't perceive it as a chore. Sounds like he just likes to complain. ;)

Tara

Who won?

In the "fog of war" it was difficult to tell :D

It sure was noisy!

As a diversionary tactic I suggested the little-man show off his fledgling sentence analysis skills to his mother by doing a couple fresh sentences in MCTs Practice Island. That worked brilliantly to cease the Writing Implement War (WIW).

Then he started the "guess that note" game with the piano and Mommy vs Daddy (tie game).

Then, the math worksheets were finished.

Bill

Tara

At seven my boys still need one-on-one instruction for most things, not just math. Plenty of short breaks in between is helpful as well.

In the "fog of war" it was difficult to tell

I used to think staple removers were the coolest alligators around at that age.

Edited by Critterfixer

I vote bored.

We use and have success with singapore too. However I was starting to despair when DD 6y/o was turning to tears over math. She was literally bored to tears. We ended up skipping the last few exercises in the topic, did the review (with flying colours) and moved on. Then she proceeded to cover about 3 weeks worth of maths work in an evening, with a smile, because it was new and interesting again.

I agree with the others, mixing it up with fun hands on math. I use miquon.

Halcyon, You know best. Stick to what you have chosen after thoughtful research. Math is work. I'm not in the 'school should be fun for Jr' camp. School is school. Fun is fun. Sometimes they overlap. :001_smile:

:iagree: with Bill. He may simply need more interaction with you during math hour. At 6, he needs you close for feedback and prompt correction. He sounds quite relational. The pics on your blog show a bright-eyed inquisitive boy. Such a cutie.

I rotate btw SM, MM & TT for dds. Noone is ever bored with math. It's not always fun -- but that's the real world.

Keep us posted!!

Tara

:iagree: I cut off the whine with "as soon as you are done, papa will take you to the park/gym/beach/whatever our after school heavy activity is today".

Halcyon, You know best. Stick to what you have chosen after thoughtful research. Math is work. I'm not in the 'school should be fun for Jr' camp. School is school. Fun is fun. Sometimes they overlap. :001_smile:

:iagree: with Bill. He may simply need more interaction with you during math hour. At 6, he needs you close for feedback and prompt correction. He sounds quite relational. The pics on your blog show a bright-eyed inquisitive boy. Such a cutie.

I rotate btw SM, MM & TT for dds. Noone is ever bored with math. It's not always fun -- but that's the real world.

Keep us posted!!

Aw thanks ;)

Yes, we do math together, for the most part--but he abhors manipulatives. He does like Family Math, so we'll definitely incorporate more of that next year. I think, also, that sometimes we'll cover the material in SM via games/Family Math and skip certain sections of the workbook--well, not skip the concepts, but allow him to learn those concepts via games. That might help him.

Generally, I too am of the mindset that "school isn't always fun" but it's important for me, at this young age particularly, that math not be seen as a chore. My older loves math and looks forward to it; that may be his personality, or that may be because I tried to approach math in the way that best suited his temperament.

Originally Posted by Halcyon

At what point do I just say "Just do your work"--which I actually have found myself saying.

Now. He's used three different curricula and had the same response to each. You've chosen Singapore as the best program for him. That's your job. His job is to do his work

Agreed. :-)

Michelle