Menu

I am bored to tears

What is everyone doing to occupy your time during the summer?

I've lesson planned and organized as much as I care to do.

I've cleaned the school room space.

I've purchased all curriculum and school supplies.

I've painted several rooms.

I'm learning to extreme coupon to try and save $$.

I'm attempting to pre-read some of the kids literature for next year but you know that's a little boring :tongue_smilie:I made it through one that I enjoyed.

I visit the thrift stores looking for deals.

Gas is way too expensive for day trips.

What else can I do to occupy my time? I need to keep my mind/body busy.

I want to work out but I can't motivate myself for that.

I'm attempting to pre-read some of the kids literature for next year but you know that's a little boring :tongue_smilie:I made it through one that I enjoyed.

Go for a walk at the forest preserve to observe bees. We spent a good while today just watching the bumblebee sucking down nectar on the wild bee balm. Good conversation with interesting little people. Go see what you can find!

crochet, sew, garden, read. Read. Read some more (fiction!). Paint, make cards for the year, start Christmas presents, think about fun things for Halloween, watch the TV shows I never have time for. Think about attempting to knit socks. :D

Hike, draw flowers and plants, clean the attic:D:D, make stuff.

Trade your life with me. I am so busy that I can hardly think- read my post about I am almost done with a move. Really, relax= I am not trying to guilt you but what I would do right now to be able to read, watch some tv, enjoy my pool, etc. What I am doing is taking a few minutes on the computer (and really about the first time I have done so in about two weeks) before quickly getting back to cooking dinner, unpacking, filing important documents and planning for tomorrow when I need to call dozens of people with our new phone number, insurance company, doctors, vets, etc, etc.

crochet, sew, garden, read. Read. Read some more (fiction!). Paint, make cards for the year, start Christmas presents, think about fun things for Halloween, watch the TV shows I never have time for. Think about attempting to knit socks. :D

Hike, draw flowers and plants, clean the attic:D:D, make stuff.

1. Christmas presents, really? :001_huh: Too early. I have to feel the Christmas spirit.

2. I don't celebrate Halloween

3. Watching too much TV makes me feel unproductive

4. I bought a brand new sewing machine at a yard sale but I don't know how to sew. Not a teach myself kind of gal and can't afford a class just yet.

5. I don't know how to knit.

6. Too hot to Hike 90 degree weather.

7. I don't have an attic.

:lurk5:

Trade your life with me. I am so busy that I can hardly think- read my post about I am almost done with a move. Really, relax= I am not trying to guilt you but what I would do right now to be able to read, watch some tv, enjoy my pool, etc. What I am doing is taking a few minutes on the computer (and really about the first time I have done so in about two weeks) before quickly getting back to cooking dinner, unpacking, filing important documents and planning for tomorrow when I need to call dozens of people with our new phone number, insurance company, doctors, vets, etc, etc.

If I were nearby I would come help you :001_smile:

You can come to my house and do all that stuff that's on your list, and maybe my laundry?

Sounds weird but I actually enjoy doing laundry. I think its has something to do with go in dirty and 20 minutes later comes out clean and it smells good.:tongue_smilie:

What do you enjoy doing? :)

What were your hobbies/interests before you had kids/started homeschooling?

Are there friends or relatives you haven't been able to connect with for awhile? What about using this free time to reconnect (whether in person, by phone, or email)?

Do you enjoy volunteering? Since your kids are older, perhaps there are some volunteer opportunities that they could participate in with you in your area (visiting nursing homes, delivering meals, cleaning up a public space, etc.)?

Well when the kids are actually home we have gone for nature walks, baked, done crafts, played games. I have been reading up a storm because I know there just won't be enough time for my pleasure reading once school starts back in. Tomorrow we are taking a day trip to a special indoor playground because they are having a great special. We've had picnics, and caught frogs, and written in our nature journals. I got a my shipment of elective materials I ordered last week today and have been busy planning those out. Of course mixed in all that has been calls to the lawyer, the insur company and Dr's visits. Even with the kids being here so little this summer we have been keeping busy.

ETA: any alberta boardies around Edmonton tomorrow I will be taking the kids to Kidz Quarterz it is only $3 admission per kid so if you want to hang out come join me.

You Tube has tons of videos to teach sewing techniques. Also, there are many wonderful blogs about sewing. Since you got the machine, but don't know how to sew, this is the perefect opportunity to learn. You really don't need a class if you can get the you tube videos and go to the blogs.

You can make freeze meals for the next few months. That will save you a lot of time during the school year.

You can star school now, maybe just do an hour in the morning. It will make your workload lighter during the rest of the year.

Organize your family photos or do some scrapbooking. If you don't want to do it on paper, you can find some online info about doing digital scrapbooking.

If you are interested in genealogy, you can do some research.

1. Christmas presents, really? :001_huh: Too early. I have to feel the Christmas spirit.

4. I bought a brand new sewing machine at a yard sale but I don't know how to sew. Not a teach myself kind of gal and can't afford a class just yet.

That's what the library and you tube are for. Free education how too's! :D I've learned how to crochet all sorts of new things (watching from behind someones shoulder is the best way!). I've learned how to do some sewing things there. I don't knit either and don't plan on starting that until I've got the crochet thing down. Besides you can spend the time making the Christmas presents using the new skills you learn.

My kitchen is gutted to the studs. I just tossed my sink into the dumpster. :willy_nilly:

Tomorrow I have a kid to take to and pick up from an activity, an electrician coming in the morning and underlayment for the floor being delivered in the afternoon. I'll be watching for that truck like a hawk since it's supposed to rain. I will be doing the underlayment and finishing the ceiling myself over the weekend. Monday drywall will be installed & mudded. Things are going pretty smoothly really. There are just a darn lot of things going. :tongue_smilie:

Please send some boredom my way! I have a really perverse idea of a summer break. I seem to do something like this every year (not usually this big of a project though) I must need my head examined.

Oh well. In about 10-12 days it will be all over, or I will have completely lost my marbles. :D

At least my washer (which broke as soon as I ordered my fridge, stove & microwave) works now. Such a nice prompt repairman!

Ah see I never watch TV so it's a treat for me. But I can't actually sit and watch it, so I crochet or knit or something. But never *just* sit.

I actually used to have to be in the 'spirit' too, but when December came and I was up till three am each morning and *hating* Christmas I had to rethink my schedule. So yup, I've already started. This year for Christmas, my kids get a sane mama who enjoys the season with them. :001_smile:

Sewing is incredibly easy. Really. There are tons of tutorials online.

I don't know how to knit either (kinda, I can kinda knit. Nothing fancy) but I'm determined to try socks.

Come do all of that stuff at my house! That should get you through August :lol::lol::lol:

OR You can plan some menus/ shopping lists. If you do 3 month's worth you can just rotate them for the whole school year.

Edited by KungFuPanda

You can come to my house and do all that stuff that's on your list, and maybe my laundry?

And when you finish there, come to my house. My "to do list" has a lot of the same things that are on the list of things you've been doing all summer, but I never seem to have enough time to finish mine.

You Tube has tons of videos to teach sewing techniques. Also' date=' there are many wonderful blogs about sewing. Since you got the machine, but don't know how to sew, this is the perefect opportunity to learn. You really don't need a class if you can get the you tube videos and go to the blogs.[/quote']

Seriously it's my learning style, I need a class. But I may have my youngest daughter watch with me so my eyes won't glaze over and maybe between the two of us we can learn something.

You can make freeze meals for the next few months. That will save you a lot of time during the school year.

I lOVE this idea! Grocery day is Monday so I think I will be all over this. This is right up my alley. So do you put your meal in a freezer to stove container or scoop it into freezer bags double wrapped in Saran Wrap and Foil? I'm actually getting excited about this. The meal won't be watery from being frozen?

Lasagne, Chili, what is freezes well?:bigear:

No, the food won't be watery. There are a few things that don't freeze well. There are lots of books you can get from the library about freezer cooking, and here is a link to g you started.

http://organizedhome.com/freezer-cooking/guide-once-a-month-cooking

When I used to do this, I would line the baking pan with plastic wrap, put the food in it, then freeze. When it is mostly frozen, I would use the plastic wrap to help me pop the frozen block of food out. Next, wrapped it well, put in a freezer zip bag, then slid it into the freezer like a book.

When it was time to use it, I would unwrap, remove the plastic wrap, and pop the frozen block into the baking pan. I liked this method because I didn't need to keep my baking dishes in the freezer and it takes up less space in the freezer.

Some things, like sauce, I just bought some square/rectangular containers and kept them in the container, then I culd put the whole thing in the microwave t reheat.

Stay/ get in touch with old friends, new friends, relatives.

I dont remember what it is like to get bored- I LOVE having huge chunks- weeks- of time with nothing I HAVE to do. This year is the first I havent homeschooled since the kids were young- and I am only working 2 half days. I am having a great time.

I am going completely insane. Really. I've been sleeping in late, messing around in the house all day, watering my garden and been going swimming every evening. Come in, drink rum, eat popcorn, watch a movie. Replay. No, I'm not cleaning the house or doing laundry because my two dds are bored stiff too and doing it for me. I'm barely cooking because no one wants to eat anything but salads, cereal and sandwiches.

I hate it. It's so hot I can't get out. Can't ride. Can't drive the ponies. Harry Potter is finished. ****ation. I am Losing. It.

Edited by Remudamom

No' date=' the food won't be watery. There are a few things that don't freeze well. There are lots of books you can get from the library about freezer cooking, and here is a link to g you started.

http://organizedhome.com/freezer-cooking/guide-once-a-month-cooking

When I used to do this, I would line the baking pan with plastic wrap, put the food in it, then freeze. When it is mostly frozen, I would use the plastic wrap to help me pop the frozen block of food out. Next, wrapped it well, put in a freezer zip bag, then slid it into the freezer like a book.

When it was time to use it, I would unwrap, remove the plastic wrap, and pop the frozen block into the baking pan. I liked this method because I didn't need to keep my baking dishes in the freezer and it takes up less space in the freezer.

Some things, like sauce, I just bought some square/rectangular containers and kept them in the container, then I culd put the whole thing in the microwave t reheat.[/quote']

Hugs & Kisses... you've given me something to do. I'm already making my grocery list and the kids shouted out things they wanted:auto:

I actually double up many recipes I make, freezing the extra for another day, especially soups, stews and other one pot type meals. When I do lasagne, I always halve the recipe making it in another smaller dish (mainly those aluminum 'throwaways' but I don't throw them away, just wash and reuse).

I am going completely insane. Really. I agree! I've been sleeping in late, wish I could! messing around in the house all day, most days! watering my garden what's the use??? and been going swimming every evening water's too hot!. Come in, drink rum I don't drink! eat popcorn, watch a movie. Replay. Replay.

No, I'm not cleaning the house or doing laundry because my two dds are bored stiff too and doing it for me. I'm barely cooking because no one wants to eat anything but salads, cereal and sandwiches.

I hate it. It's so hot I can't get out. Can't ride. Can't drive the ponies. Harry Potter is finished. ****ation. I am Losing. It.

No ponies here, but it is too hot to do anything. Sick of being inside, this is summertime blues and it is worse than being inside because of it being too cold, isn't it? Is it??? Didn't I just say that the other day on this place? My brain is fried, but I have other excuses than the heat.:lol::lol::lol::001_huh:

I do go out three days a week to exercise class because I have to, it's for my heart.

When it was only in the 90's and the kids would say they were bored or they were fighting, I'd make them go outside and walk around the house three times. If they came in and complained I'd make them do it again. :lol:

It's surprisingly been a busy summer here. The Kid and I started back to school at the beginning of this month, so June was spent preparing for that. July has been spent on organizing my thoughts and lessons for co-op. August I'll work on preparing for cub scouts.

Aside from that, I've started doing the Couch to 5k in the early mornings. It's the only time nobody else is on the road. My Kindle has been put to good use. Our next hot day we'll get a chance to try out our solar oven we built in anticipation of, well, summer. We're still waiting for the heat to actually come.

Last year we took Currclick's calendars and celebrated all the weird, wacky days listed on them. We had just moved in and I didn't know the area too well so we did theme nights and "holidays" at home.

You could have another baby!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wonder if that is part of my motivation for wanting to foster to adopt. My youngest is 10 so I do have that baby envy going on. I even thought about doing some babysitting but once school starts I may be in over my head. I couldn't believe nobody needed a babysitter for this summer! I asked around:tongue_smilie:

Sigh.

I would love to be bored. Just for a little while? Please?

How I'm occupying my time this summer:

- Dragging my son out of bed at 7:45 each weekday.

- Making sure he is actually awake five and then 10 minutes later.

- Doing everything necessary to get him out the door, with breakfast eaten and a lunch packed, by 8:30.

- Driving him to the theatre where he is volunteering as a junior counselor in their day camps.

- Picking him up from that at 2:00 and bringing him home.

- Arguing for 20 minutes about whether he's too tired to do any work on the language arts class he's still trying to finish.

- Feeding him an early dinner, unless it's one of the days when he has nine or 10 hours in rehearsal, when I prepare him dinner at home and take it to him at the theatre.

- Driving him back to the theatre in the evening for rehearsals and performances.

- Once back home, making dinner for everyone else.

- Picking him up (again) from the theatre later in the evening.

Meanwhile, my daughter is busy auditioning for every show in town. I've taken her to, I think, 11 auditions (each of which required her to prepare something different) and almost as many callbacks in just about six weeks.

She has now been cast in two shows, meaning I'm driving her to rehearsals, too.

(For those who haven't experienced this joy, I should explain that these auditions, and especially callbacks, often drag on for hours. Usually, I can't leave the theatre, since I never know for sure when the kiddo will be done and because they need me on hand for moral support. Earlier this summer, my son had three callbacks at a theatre 45 minutes from home. He was cast but ended up not doing the show because of conflicts with other things. My daughter auditioned and did two callbacks for the one in which she was most recently cast. Each time, we were at the theatre for three or more hours.)

I've been to New York twice this summer, and I spent five days supervising my daughter at a Harry Potter convention earlier this month. Because she's a minor, I had to be on the premises, but I wasn't registered and couldn't actually attend any of the events. So, mostly what I did was wait in lines for her.

When I get a chance, I do a load of laundry or go grocery shopping.

I did most of my math planning while hanging around the hotel during the convention, which wouldn't have been too bad if it hadn't required me to carry all of those heavy books around in the crowds.

I got a fair chunk of English planning done yesterday.

Honestly, I'm really, really tired. I would love a few days of boredom.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Goodness Jenny, you are quite busy. I felt like that last year in my truck...go go go go go, all the time. I told hubby that I was DONE. activities were canceled for the summer. I stayed home, we started a large garden again, I've been canning and preserving, son has been finishing up his school work (3 weeks left) and I've been crocheting baby blankets. Fun! But we will be starting a couple of outside activities come August, but nothing like last year.

Have fun with all the cooking Jamajo!