Menu

Book a week in 2011 - Week Thirty

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 30 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books blog - C is for Cara Black. Discovered a new murder mysteries series set in France.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 29

I finished reading Cara Black's Murder in the Marais", book one in the series and actually her debut novel. Was actually pretty good. Not sure what I'm going to read next. At that inbetween point and just can't make up my mind.

Nothing finished this week. I have started All Together In One Place by Jane Kirkpatrick. This is one I picked up at our library book sale last winter. It takes place on the Oregon Trail, but I'm only a couple of chapters into it and they haven't even left yet. Probably will take me another couple of weeks to finish it--lots of other stuff going on.

I finished Live Wire by Harlan Coben this past week as well as Lighting Their Fires by Rafe Esquith. I like Esquith's books. They are very encouraging. I am now reading Book #40--Between the Sheets by Lesley (I can't remember her last name.) It is a non-fiction look at women writers' seemingly destructive relationships with men writers.

I finished The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames, and I read Sew Deadly and Pinned for Murder by Elizabeth Lynn Casey. Still reading Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity and started Cuba on My Mind by Katie Wainwright.

OK, I just requested Murder in the Marais from the library, Robin. I always like to try new mysteries.

Edited by Sparkle

I haven't posted for a few weeks - I was doing so well on catching up, then I picked up a dud of a book, and it threw me a bit. It wasn't a bad book, I suppose, just not what I was looking for (Fools Rush In by Bill Carter). I was looking for some background to the seige of Sarajevo, and it did have some of that, but also a lot about his deceased girlfriend, the abuse he suffered as a child and conflicts that arose between those trying to help the Sarajevan.

I finally picked up The Cure for Modern Life by Lisa Tucker which was the perfect antidote. It's a humourous and touching look at what it means to be good in the modern world, set against the backdrop of medical ethics and a large pharmaceutical company. It's probably my favourite read this year.

We were away this past week, and I read The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag by Alan Bradley - another Flavia de Luce mystery. It's hard to imagine not liking something about an 11 year old detective with a passion for poisons!

My final holiday read (Number 17 for the year) was Loss by Tony Black. Wow! If you're looking for a new crime author, he's worth a try - his work is described as "Scottish noir" and it's dark, but not depressing. It's interesting to read a crime novel that is more focused on the main character than the crime and its gruesome details. It is very heavy on the Scottish slang, which is great for giving voice to the character, but is sometimes confusing.

I am currently halfway through The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood - Odysseus's wife tells her story. It's entertaining and amusing, but not deeply gripping. I am also reading Paying for It by Tony Black - the first of the Gus Drury series of which Loss is the third.

Oh, and I'm listening to, and thoroughly enjoying Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (from Librivox). It's cold here, so I hop into bed early and listen to a few chapters before bed.

Nikki (in Wintery Australia)

I've missed this thread while we were away on vacation. :)

I finished reading Cara Black's Murder in the Marais", book one in the series and actually her debut novel.

Having just been in Paris and loving that area, just added this to my wish list. :D

I liked this picture for the heat wave...

Stacia, liked your picture also :D.

A Curable Romantic looks good.

A Reliable Wife is on my Kindle ... I think.

Books that I have read in the past month. None of them were "wow" books or in the amazing category for me. All were good, but not the absolute best.

How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better

How-Not-to-Look-Old-by-Charla-Krupp-Paperback-Springboard-Pr.jpeg

- downloaded this to my Kindle a day before we left while having my hair done. I finished it in a few hours. Most of it, I already knew. Fun read while having my hair done.

A Redbird Christmas

41575_155349389441_5456921_n.jpg

- not my favorite Fannie Flagg book. Just okay. I generally love Fannie Flagg.

The Paris Wife

paris-wife-cover.jpg

- very interesting, but dragged on a bit. Nice to read it while in Paris. About Hemingway's first wife. I'm glad I wasn't married to him. ;) I'm sure the feeling would be mutual.

Island Beneath the Sea

9780061988240.jpg

not my favorite Allende book. I usually love Isabel Allende. Didn't like the ending. Endings are everything for me. This book was quite depressing. What could I expect - slavery, Haiti ...

Not sure what to read next. I have quite a lot to choose from, including catching up on some Nat Geo magazines.

I read the first 4 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series. By book 4, this was the review I wrote on GoodReads. "Still not a fan. I like so much about these, especially her supporting characters. (Bubba)

But they are getting more R rated in each book and that doesn't work for me. And they still just don't have that, "I'm hooked" factor.

Think it is time to move on."

Also read Jaycee Dugard's A Stolen Life. Hard to describe. Tragic and ultimately triumphant. I am hard pressed to understand how she was missed so very many times.

And Michael Byrnes, The Genesis Plague. This was a great idea for a book but I really didn't like it very much. It didn't really keep my interest and I kept putting it down. I have completion issues, so I did finish it but there are a few hours I can't get back. Probably would make a great movie.

No idea what I am moving on to this week yet.

I finished Tuck Everlasting and Spells over the last few days.

I was surprised that I liked Tuck Everlasting. I really found the movie heart-wrenching. It's been a few years, but I believe the movie wasn't very much like the book. I remember the movie Winnie being a teenager. The book Winnie was 10yo! I thought it was a great little book.

Spells was the sequel to the YA fiction book Wings that I read earlier in the year. It's about a girl who finds out she is a fairy. I'm still liking the story line, but this book got a little heavier with the boy/girl relationship thing. I guess I'm still amazed at what writers are putting in YA fiction these days.

I'm beginning to pick books for my rising senior to read for American and British Lit so I will probably be on a classic kick for a bit. I'm having trouble picking which books for her to read. I started The Scarlet Letter first as we will be seeing a play on the Salem Witch Trials in November. Well, I'm just rambling now. ;)

"Spells" by Aprilynne Pike

"Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbitt

"The Conqueror" by Georgette Heyer

"The Book of Three" by Lloyd Alexander

"Garden Spells" by Sarah Allen

"Just Jane" by Nancy Moser

"Dead Man's Folly" by Agatha Christie

"Prom and Prejudice" by Elizabeth Eulberg

"Half Magic" by Edward Eager

"Wings" by Aprilynne Pike

"Miniatures and Morals" by Peter Leithart (carried over from 2010)

"What Jane Austen Taught Me About Love and Romance" by Debra White Smith (carried over from 2010)

"Lessons at Blackberry Inn" by Karen Andreola

"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen

"The Silver Chair" by C.S. Lewis

"The Girl Who Chased the Moon" by Sarah Allen

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

"The Candlestone" by Bryan Davis

"Emma" by Jane Austen

"Turtle in Paradise" by Jennifer L. Holm

"It's a Jungle Out There!" by Ron Snell

"Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian" by Rick Riordan

"Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier

"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman

"The Diamond Throne" by David Eddings

"Adam and His Kin" by Ruth Beechick

"Persuasion" by Jane Austen

"The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" by Stephenie Meyer

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis (carried over from 2010)

"Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

"Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

I've been working through Confessions by Augustine and The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkein but haven't finished either yet. I did manage to finish rereading books 2 and 3 of the Harry Potter series to bring my pitiful book count up to 17 for the year. If I could just hire someone to can my vegetables, I'd have a lot more reading time this summer.

Books for 2011

17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by Rawling

16. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by Rawling

15. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by Rawling

14. The Hobbit by Tolkien

13. Eusebius: The Church History translated by Maier

12. In the Hall of the Dragon King by Lawhead

11. The Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day by O'Dell

10. Silver in the Tree by Cooper

9. The Grey King by Cooper

8. Greenwitch by Cooper

7. The Dark is Rising by Cooper

6. The Lark and the Laurel by Willard

5. Over Sea, Under Stone by Cooper

4. Watership Down by Adams

3. Otto of the Silver Hand by Pyle

2. Lose 200 Pounds This Weekend by Adler

1. The 5000 Year Leap by Skousen

I finished Tuck Everlasting and Spells over the last few days.

I was surprised that I liked Tuck Everlasting. I really found the movie heart-wrenching. It's been a few years, but I believe the movie wasn't very much like the book. I remember the movie Winnie being a teenager. The book Winnie was 10yo! I thought it was a great little book.

Thanks for sharing this. Dh and I saw the movie years ago and neither of us cared for it at all. I have always avoided the book since then. Maybe I'll give it a go. Wondering if my dd would like it. She's quite picky and is having a very hard time finding books that she loves. :confused:

I finished "A Reliable Wife" yesterday & it was ok. I think the spare plotting (or would that be plodding) went along well w/ the spare, harsh Wisconsin setting. I consider this book a kind of 'beach' or 'pool' read, nothing too heavy or that requires much concentration to follow. It's not really a happy, uplifting book, though. More of an 'accept life & pain & move on' kind of book....

I've picked up The Book of Jhereg again. (It's the first three novels of a series in one book.) I read the first book of it (Jhereg) a couple of weeks ago. I've now started the second book (Yendi) & am enjoying it. I think it's worth checking out this series if you enjoy fantasy.

From sfreviews.net:

"The Vlad Taltos series has become one of fantasy's most popular, and it's easy to see why. Brust writes with an enviable edge, his stories devoting equal attention to suspense, imagination and wit. He's also a hybridist. Jhereg is at times a noirish detective story, at others an epic legend, at still others a buddy-action yarn not unlike a popular cop flick. True, Brust's saga gets off to something of a rocky start as he warms to his concept. But there's some crafty storytelling here, and the book is refreshingly free of the self-importance that burdens so much of contemporary fantasy.

The story is set in a land in which humans are second-class citizens to the more powerful native Dragaerans, who rule an empire through a series of noble houses and whose individual lifespans can run for millennia. Vladimir Taltos is a lowly human Easterner, who rises to prominence in Dragaera through his reputation as a witch and an assassin. His familiar is Loiosh, a dragon-like animal called a jhereg, with whom Vlad has shared a "psionic" bond since his adolescence."

Read the rest of the review here, here, and here.

Thanks for sharing this. Dh and I saw the movie years ago and neither of us cared for it at all. I have always avoided the book since then. Maybe I'll give it a go. Wondering if my dd would like it. She's quite picky and is having a very hard time finding books that she loves. :confused:

I am a "happily ever after" person and the movie just devastated me :D Though I guess that it could have been "happily ever after" depending on your viewpoint. The epilogue was a tad bittersweet but I didn't tear up at all ;)

My dd is younger than yours (almost 11 here) but I think she likes the hunt for a book better than reading it :glare: We come home with tons from the library but very few grip her enough to stay the course. They usually sit in the book basket unread.

Finished Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges--and Find Themselves (Dave Marcus), which I read on the Kindle -- and I officially recommend both, the book and the e-reader. Folks, that thing is such an sight-saver.

Anyway.

I have bookmarks in too many books to number, but I have a shot at finishing one or more of the following before the end of the month:

A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change (Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown)

Education. This title appeared on a list of summer reading suggestions. Wish I could remember who sent me the list....

The Strain (Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan[/url])

Fiction. Not terribly well written vampire / virus fare.

This Girl Is Different (J.J. Johnson)

Fiction. A mostly predictable YA treatment of the "homeschooled kid decides to attend public high school -- and change the world!" story.

The Hypnotist (Lars Kepler)

Fiction. Courtesy of the wave of Nordic lit enjoying such popularity here in the States.

The Millionaire Next Door (Thomas Stanley)

Non-fiction. A re-read.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Laurie E. King)

Mystery. With the Misses. Part of our Sherlock Holmes obsession.

I'm at fifty-nine, year to date, which is behind my usual pace. I'm just glad to be reading, though -- for a while, I just couldn't.

Books read in 2011 (to date): 59

July

Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout (Lauren Redniss; biography, graphic book)

A Short Course in Canon PowerShot S5 IS Photography (Non-fiction)

Short Stories (Doyle, Henry, Poe; fiction)

The Winter's Tale (William Shakespeare; classic, play)

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card; science fiction)

The Sister Knot (Terri Apter; psychology)

My Man Jeeves (P.J. Wodehouse; fiction, audiobook)

Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges--and Find Themselves (Dave Marcus; non-fiction, education -- on the Kindle)

June (reviews/discussion here)

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth (Alexandra Robbins; non-fiction, education)

Confessions of a Prairie ***** (Alison Arngrim; memoir)

Pitch Uncertain (Maisie Houghton; memoir)

The Silent Land (Graham Joyce; fiction)

A Midsummer Night's Dream (William Shakespeare; play, classic)

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson; science fiction)

Sempre Susan (Sigrid Nunez; memoir)

Gardening Step by Step (Phil Clayton, et al.)

John Brookes' Natural Landscapes (John Brookes)

Month-by-Month Gardening in Illinois (James A. Fizzell)

The New Gardener (Pippa Greenwood)

Glorious Gardens (Jacqueline Heriteau)

Midwest Top 10 Garden Guide (Bonnie Monte, ed.)

Midwest Gardens (Pamela Wolfe)

Low Maintenance Garden (Jenny Hendy)

The Complete Beginner's Guide to Archery (Bernhard A. Roth)

Know the Sport: Archery (John Adams)

Sherlock Holmes: More Short Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton; YA fiction)

The Raising (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

The Life before Her Eyes (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

No Time for Goodbye (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

Too Close to Home (Linwood Barclay; fiction)

Things a Brother Knows (Dana Reinhart; YA fiction -- the book that reminded me that I am, in fact, a reader)

Illyria (Elizabeth Hand; fiction)

The Merchant of Venice (William Shakespeare)

Model Home (Eric Puchner; fiction)

Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 (David Petersen; graphic novel)

Mouse Guard, Volume 2: Winter 1152 (David Petersen; graphic novel)

The Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child (Barbara D. Rosof)

Beyond Tears: Living after Losing a Child (Ellen Mitchell)

Love Never Dies: A Mother's Journey from Loss to Love (Sandy Goodman)

After the Death of a Child: Living with Loss through the Years (Ann K. Finkbeiner)

Trapped (Michael Northrop; YA fiction)

Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; fiction)

The Colony (Jillian Marie Weise; fiction)

The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (Neil Gaiman; graphic novel)

The Source of All Things: A Memoir (Tracy Ross; memoir, review copy)

Heaven Is for Real (Todd Burpo; memoir, religion)

The Nest Home Design Handbook (Carley Roney)

Decorating Ideas That Work (Heather J. Paper)

Speed Decorating (Jill Vegas)

Flip! for Decorating (Elizabeth Mayhew)

Home Decor: A Sunset Design Guide (Kerrie L. Kelly)

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (Amy Chua; memoir, parenting)

Macbeth (William Shakespeare)

The Other Side of the Island (Allegra Goodman; fiction)

A Lantern in Her Hand (Bess Streeter Aldrich; fiction)

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Winifred Watson; fiction)

I am a "happily ever after" person and the movie just devastated me :D Though I guess that it could have been "happily ever after" depending on your viewpoint. The epilogue was a tad bittersweet but I didn't tear up at all ;)

My dd is younger than yours (almost 11 here) but I think she likes the hunt for a book better than reading it :glare: We come home with tons from the library but very few grip her enough to stay the course. They usually sit in the book basket unread.

Angel, thank you. I may read it or, at least, see if dd would like to read it ... Good to know that it's not just my dd who has this very selective problem. ;)

Finished Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges--and Find Themselves (Dave Marcus), which I read on the Kindle -- and I officially recommend both, the book and the e-reader. Folks, that thing is such an sight-saver.

This title looks very interesting, even though I've been having a hard time reading most non-fiction lately.

Agreeing with you on the Kindle. Mine came in very handy while traveling. I don't particularly care for it for non-fiction books, but I like it for fiction. I'm still a hard copy type of person and have to smell books and feel them. But the Kindle has so many positives also. :)

I just got The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie from my library to read (since it was so highly recommended here). Is it a plain old mystery or is it horror mystery?? I assumed the first but my library has the horror tag on it and not the mystery tag. Anything horror gives me the shivers!

Can someone help me out here before I begin reading it?! Thanks!

I just got The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie from my library to read (since it was so highly recommended here). Is it a plain old mystery or is it horror mystery?? I assumed the first but my library has the horror tag on it and not the mystery tag. Anything horror gives me the shivers!

Can someone help me out here before I begin reading it?! Thanks!

Angel, not horror at all. :)

More mystery with a rather fun and spunky character. Mystery with some cerebral humor. I'm looking forward to reading the others in the series. Unfortunately, I keep hearing that the 2nd book is the least interesting in the series, so I haven't felt particularly motivated to read it.

Angel, not horror at all. :)

More mystery with a rather fun and spunky character. Mystery with some cerebral humor. I'm looking forward to reading the others in the series. Unfortunately, I keep hearing that the 2nd book is the least interesting in the series, so I haven't felt particularly motivated to read it.

Thank you! From all the posts, I had assumed just what you said. But when dd picked it up yesterday and asked why I had checked out a horror book, I got a little worried.

Great! I can't wait to start it. Oh, wait, I'm supposed to be pre-reading The Scarlet Letter...joy...

my library has the horror tag

Yikes! Negin is correct. Definitely *not* horror. I'd point out the mistake to your library so they remove/change the label. (Wouldn't want someone to skip such a fun mystery series if they think it's horror instead.)

I keep hearing that the 2nd book is the least interesting in the series, so I haven't felt particularly motivated to read it.

So, skip the 2nd one! :D You don't have to read it to keep up w/ things. The 3rd one is awesome. (I think I liked it even better than the first one.)

Yikes! Negin is correct. Definitely *not* horror. I'd point out the mistake to your library so they remove/change the label. (Wouldn't want someone to skip such a fun mystery series if they think it's horror instead.)

:iagree: I would definitely tell the library.

So, skip the 2nd one! :D You don't have to read it to keep up w/ things. The 3rd one is awesome. (I think I liked it even better than the first one.)

Stacia, hadn't thought of that :D. I thought it had to read. Very good to know. Thank you. :)

:iagree: Skip it if it is holding you back from moving on to the third one. I really liked the third one much better as well. You can always go back to the second one later if you feel so inclined. They don't need to be read in order.

Just finished the first book I've completed since May. :( And only by virtue of setting down the two slowwwwww books I've been working on and dashing through a half-novel.

19. The Spoils of Poynton. Henry James

Fun little read. I've been thinking about taking oldest dd for a tour through the Victorians, now that she's taken her AP Lit exam and need not "study for the test" anymore, starting with Hardy; but this James has given me the thought of doing a little unit on "Victorians and Their Stuff." Maybe work in William Morris and his Pre-Raphaelite circle, make it a literature/art history study.

Only eleven weeks behind! I can pull it out!

While I was away on holidays I finished the last book I posted and haven't finished anything else since; good thing I'm well ahead. I've started something else that's right on the border between counting and not counting, and I don't know that I want to go back to see if it does or not, so won't bother posting about it. I've gone off novels (I need to for now) and so can start reading other books I have.

Time to clean up the kitchen!

Working on...

The Help, Kathyryn Stockett

The Friends We Keep, Holly Chamberlin

Continuing on with...

The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas (on my new Kindle:))

Don Quixote, new translation by Edith Grossman

24. On Folly Beach, Karen White

23. The Postmistress, Sarah Blake

22. The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Children Make Friends

21. Dragonhaven, Robin McKinley

20. The Summer of Us, Holly Chamberlin

19. Lord of the Flies, William Golding

18. The Red Garden, Alice Hoffman

17. The Missing, Beverly Lewis

16. The Secret, Beverly Lewis

15. The Girl Who Chased the Moon, Sarah Allen

14. One Week in December, Holly Chamberlin

13. The Thorn, Beverly Lewis

12. Salting Roses, Lorelle Marinello

11. The Well Trained Mind, 2004 Edition

10. Night, Elie Wiesel

9. Last Light Over Carolina, Mary Alice Munroe

8. Homeschooling, A Family's Journey, Gregory and Martine Millman

7. Time is a River, Mary Alice Munroe

6. Commencement, Courtney Sullivan

5. The Redemption of Sarah Cain, Beverly Lewis

4. Thursdays at Eight, Debbie Macomber

3. The Three Weismann's of Westport, Cathleen Schine

2. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

1. The Search, Nora Roberts

Last week I read The King's Fifth (O'Dell) and the original text of Secret of the Old Clock (Keene). What a blast!

Now I'm pre-reading my first Henty novel, Under Drake's Flag. I never heard of Henty until we started homeschooling. I'm curious to see what this series is like. :) I wanted to begin with Cat of Bubastes, mostly because of the interesting title, but settled on Under Drake's Flag because I actually own it. (That's one of my mini-goals this year-- reading books that are sitting on my shelves!)

:iagree: Skip it if it is holding you back from moving on to the third one. I really liked the third one much better as well. You can always go back to the second one later if you feel so inclined. They don't need to be read in order.

Thank you. :)

Wish they sold it here. Will add it to my wish list.