Menu

Moving out of states

Wow, just think of how happy he'd be to move there and what he could bring home :)

*ducks and runs*

Now "them there is feudin' words missy"!!! :lol:

Don't tempt me to think what this kid might pack in a suitcase for a visit to grandpa and grandma in the states. Oh my....he is my impulsive one! (Let the nail biting commence.)

Faith

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosie, I appreciate your calm and reassuring tone. I don't think you understand the degree of snake-o-phobia that I live with. I got spooked when the cobra was lost at the Bronx zoo and I'm in Michigan. I had visions of it being able to slither at mach speed. Snakes belong to some sort of union in which they have little meetings to discuss how best to sneak up on me and scare me into a coma! :D

I am sure you are the voice of reason. I probably need some sort of treatment program for my anxiety though I can tell you that I am not signing up for one that involves looking at pictures of snakes. I try very, very hard to avoid all involvement. This is not easy as my middle son feels strongly about becoming a HERPATOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!

Faith, said while her feet are pulled up under her after noting that Thailand has the King Cobra.

I'm like that about rats. And I haven't seen any of them in years either. I just know they are here. In my mind, all rats I can't see are 5 kilo heffalumps with vampire teeth and Disney style red eyes. All rats I can see turn into 5kg heffalumps with vampire teeth and red eyes as soon as I stop looking.

There, there, we'll both be ok. :lol:

Rosie

I don't know about starting a business, but I've rented homes in Costa Rica from Americans and I've stayed at B&Bs owned by non-Ticos. I don't have an official government source, but numerous web sites agree that foreigners can buy property in Costa Rica.

Right, my (American) son has built a vacation house in Costa Rica.

I'm like that about rats. And I haven't seen any of them in years either. I just know they are here. In my mind, all rats I can't see are 5 kilo heffalumps with vampire teeth and Disney style red eyes. All rats I can see turn into 5kg heffalumps with vampire teeth and red eyes as soon as I stop looking.

Rosie

I am so glad that I am not the only one with zoologic specific phobia! :D

Faith

I have no experience in the countries that you mentioned, but I did live as an ex-pat for over 5 years in the Marshall Islands & Fiji. (I don't count New Zealand as dh is from here & we have made NZ home, so I have emigrated & am no longer an ex-pat ;) ) Things that you may want to consider that is part of the ex-pat life, no matter what country you live in:

---Foods are different. This is exciting at first, but when the first wave of homesickness hits, not being able to get your favorite comfort foods IS a really big deal.

---The power in many countries is not the same as the US, meaning most of your belongings that use power won't work. You can get converters, but those are expensive & if the cycles are different, not just the voltage a converter won't work for some things.

---You will be expected to observe the cultural norms in the country you are living in. Tourists get given a bit of slack, but ex-pats are expected to accept the culture. Again this is fun to a point, but when you are at a work function & are told that you may not talk to your husband because you MUST stay with the women in the women's area it is NO fun, especially when only one of the fifty women present speaks English.

---You may be expected to have household help. This is a treat in some ways, but to me at first I was not comfortable as I saw it was a bit of an invasion of our family's privacy.

---Your dc will acquire a wider world view (a good thing), but family back in the States will expect that your dc are & think like American dc who have not traveled. This has caused more than a bit of heart ache on both sides in my family.

---Where would you want to be if one of your family (with you or back 'home') gets seriously ill?

---Where do you see your dc doing their post-highschool education/training?

---What activities are available for you dc in the country that you are moving to?

---How do your dc really feel about moving overseas indefinitely?

---What ex-pat support groups are active in your area? In Fiji the American Women's Association & Fiji Women's groups were a very important part of my life, especially when dh was required to work out of town for weeks at a time.

---What emergency plans does the company have in case of natural disasters / political unrest?

---Is the water safe to drink?

The questions above are just things that we consider when we look at dh working overseas again. I really enjoyed my 5 years as an ex-pat & dh spent 26 years working overseas, so we really think it is a good option. I can see our 3 dc living as ex-pats at some stage in their lives. When living overseas, you tend to deal with the big issues OK, but it is the little things that wear away at you. I remember one of the expat wives when I lived in Majuro complaining that the dryer didn't turn both ways. I saw nothing wrong with the way the dryer worked (it was an American dryer) but for her it was a big deal.

JMHO,

I have no experience in the countries that you mentioned, but I did live as an ex-pat for over 5 years in the Marshall Islands & Fiji. (I don't count New Zealand as dh is from here & we have made NZ home, so I have emigrated & am no longer an ex-pat ;) ) Things that you may want to consider that is part of the ex-pat life, no matter what country you live in:

---Foods are different. This is exciting at first, but when the first wave of homesickness hits, not being able to get your favorite comfort foods IS a really big deal.

---The power in many countries is not the same as the US, meaning most of your belongings that use power won't work. You can get converters, but those are expensive & if the cycles are different, not just the voltage a converter won't work for some things.

---You will be expected to observe the cultural norms in the country you are living in. Tourists get given a bit of slack, but ex-pats are expected to accept the culture. Again this is fun to a point, but when you are at a work function & are told that you may not talk to your husband because you MUST stay with the women in the women's area it is NO fun, especially when only one of the fifty women present speaks English.

---You may be expected to have household help. This is a treat in some ways, but to me at first I was not comfortable as I saw it was a bit of an invasion of our family's privacy.

---Your dc will acquire a wider world view (a good thing), but family back in the States will expect that your dc are & think like American dc who have not traveled. This has caused more than a bit of heart ache on both sides in my family.

---Where would you want to be if one of your family (with you or back 'home') gets seriously ill?

---Where do you see your dc doing their post-highschool education/training?

---What activities are available for you dc in the country that you are moving to?

---How do your dc really feel about moving overseas indefinitely?

---What ex-pat support groups are active in your area? In Fiji the American Women's Association & Fiji Women's groups were a very important part of my life, especially when dh was required to work out of town for weeks at a time.

---What emergency plans does the company have in case of natural disasters / political unrest?

---Is the water safe to drink?

The questions above are just things that we consider when we look at dh working overseas again. I really enjoyed my 5 years as an ex-pat & dh spent 26 years working overseas, so we really think it is a good option. I can see our 3 dc living as ex-pats at some stage in their lives. When living overseas, you tend to deal with the big issues OK, but it is the little things that wear away at you. I remember one of the expat wives when I lived in Majuro complaining that the dryer didn't turn both ways. I saw nothing wrong with the way the dryer worked (it was an American dryer) but for her it was a big deal.

JMHO,

Thank you so much. That was very helpful and definitely something to keep in mind. One of my main concerns is that if we move, wherever we move, we would do a lot of research in order to learn as much about the customs and culture as we could before leaving. We don't to be "those offensive Americans".

I don't think we'd be making a permanent move because of dh's mother. Probably 5-10 years.

Faith

We have more poisonous snakes and other creepy crawlies than anyone else, and I haven't seen a snake in years. I'm sure you'd be quite safe in Thailand or Malaysia.

:D

Rosie

And I've never seen one apart from in the Wildlife Sanctuarys - not even when I lived in Alice Springs (the desert).

There is something called a water dragon there too. I'd like to think it's something I might want to look at, but I'm afraid to google an image as I'm terrified.

This made me LOL. A water dragon is a lizard that swims in the water - it won't hurt you at all. We have them here in Australia too. The humidity in Thailand will be more of a nusiance to you. :)

I googled it for you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gippsland-Water-Dragon---Physignathus-lesueurii-howittii.jpg

Edited by sewingmama

Yikes, Yikes, Yikes, Yikes!!!!!!! Can I spend a few years inside my rented townhouse with me feet drawn up under me while I sit on a high bar stool????????????

I stayed there with friends for a week (Bangkok) and went on holiday there for several weeks at different times (coastal and hill areas). I've seen cockroaches and lots of small (four inch) geckos. I haven't seen any snakes.

Laura

I'm surprised no-one is considering Africa :lol:.

Well I was just telling Rich yesterday that the company he works for ought to open an office in Nairobi. I should like to go to play there for a while. :) Being able to buy a weeks worth of groceries for AU$30 would be a pleasant experience, I think!

Rosie

I should like to go to play there for a while. :) Being able to buy a weeks worth of groceries for AU$30 would be a pleasant experience, I think!

That would be nice! I'm pressuming these are market prices.

As an aside...compared to South Africa, I found the Melbourne prices for a week's cart of food with similar stuff that we'd be buying here in a supermarket to cost twice as much.

Whereas in the UK, a weekly cart evens out to cost about the same as here.

Thanks, FaithManor! That's probably all the explanation I could handle anyway.

I was just wondering because my dh has been trying to think of something he can study that would be marketable abroad.

Sweden needs pharmacy techs pretty badly I believe, also science teachers :D

We have more poisonous snakes and other creepy crawlies than anyone else, and I haven't seen a snake in years. I'm sure you'd be quite safe in Thailand or Malaysia.

:D

Rosie

Speak for yourself Rosie, In summer we see a snake every other day.

When my children were still attending public school ( many years ago) one summer morning they saw 7 snakes on the 3 km bike ride to the school.

Did I mention that I live in the bush?

I'm surprised no-one is considering Africa :lol:.

I haven't seen them mention Australia either.

I suspect that is because they looked at our real estate prices and the exchange rate and are still out cold on the floor from shock.

As an aside...compared to South Africa, I found the Melbourne prices for a week's cart of food with similar stuff that we'd be buying here in a supermarket to cost twice as much.

Whereas in the UK, a weekly cart evens out to cost about the same as here.

Yep. Aussie ain't cheap, and NZ is even dearer.

It is a Database programming something or other that has something or other to do with a programming language called Sequel and whatever it does, it seems that it is the back-end of whatever software dh's team is coding and the front end is something called Java which to me is nothing more than the proper name for coffee....clear as mud????

Can you tell that when dh gets all techno-geek on me, I start tuning out to my happy place (a musical heaven in which there are Steinway grands as far as the eye can see and in which I imagine Chopin actually leaning over my shoulder and saying, "Wow, you play me pretty well!")?

Faith

LOL, that's the same level of understanding I have of my husband's job, also in It. He's a network engineer, and I know there are terms I could rattle off, somthing about Linux, Unix, Perl scripts, and LOTS of it has to do with VMware (virtual environment I think), development and production servers...but what all that means I have no idea. My biggest guilt as a wife is that as he is telling me about my day Im' planning menus or thinking about the latest book I read....none of it makes any sense to me.

by the way....any need for network engineers with a degree in information security in Nova Scotia?

Being able to buy a weeks worth of groceries for AU$30 would be a pleasant experience, I think!

I think that's overly optimistic. Food prices in the developing world are through the roof these days. Milk costs the same or more than the US, staples like rice/corn/sugar are increasing all the time, and rent is very high in most urban areas. Unless you go out in the bush, I honestly don't think you'd find it to be dirt cheap.

I think that's overly optimistic. Food prices in the developing world are through the roof these days. Milk costs the same or more than the US, staples like rice/corn/sugar are increasing all the time, and rent is very high in most urban areas. Unless you go out in the bush, I honestly don't think you'd find it to be dirt cheap.

Food was very cheap when we lived in China, but pesticide regulation was universally flouted and food production regulations were corruptly ignored. Our (very trusted) house helper talked about how her farming parents kept an organic patch for their own consumption because they didn't fancy eating the food that they sent to market. This was common in the countryside, she said.

We bought imported milk from New Zealand (remember the China milk scandal?) and spent money on overseas-certified veg.

Laura

No kidding. I was shocked when we moved to Kyrgyzstan in January because the food prices had at least doubled or tripled since we lived here in 2005. It's still cheaper for us to live here than in the US, but there's not a major difference unless we significantly changed our lifestyle.

Faith wrote:

Well heck yeah! Sign us up for that too! It also as to be home school friendly though.

What country do my fellow boardies think would have such opportunities?

I'm an American who has been living in Canada for 18 years now, and I must say that over the past few years I am more and more grateful to be living here. As much as I miss living in the States and being closer to my family and old friends (and easier access to warmer weather!), I am VERY grateful as a homeschooling mother to live here where I don't have to worry about health care and where there is a social safety net. The Child Tax Benefit is just scratching the surface of what is available for family support, and yet was such a (pleasant) shock to me when I first had children.

Most of Canada is homeschool friendly. Some provinces even give families money to homeschool.

I'm happy to see some people asking about living in Nova Scotia. :D Which isn't nearly as cold in winter as most of the rest of Canada! It's a rare December or January day when it gets down to 0 F to -20 F. And here in NS, we've had temps recently of up in the 90s. Sometimes it gets to 100 F. Lots of Canada is experiencing a heat wave right now.

For you people looking for computer jobs, check out the cities of Halifax and Charlottetown PEI. Summerside, too. And then there are NB cities. The Atlantic Maritime provinces are thriving! Lots of culture happening here, too. There are the Scottish and Irish cultures, but then you've got Africans, Asians, and Middle Easterners living here, too. Last week at a local provincial park, there was a huge group of Iranians having a big party. How I wish they'd have invited me to eat some of their yummy looking food. :D

Seriously, check out Maritime Canada. It's a hidden jewel in the world, just waiting to be discovered. Now I sound like an advertisement, lol. But every time I read posts here about how difficult things are in the States for so many people, I am very glad to be living here, though we are on the low end of the income scale.

Colleen,

Nice to hear from another American in Canada. I had wanted to comment on the reply to my original post, but the thread appeared to be closed at that time, then reopened :confused:.

I'm so glad you mentioned the social safety net as a positive to living in Canada as well. I didn't want the other members thinking that I immigrated to Canada in order to go on welfare, although there certainly are those who do. We are simply benefiting from the same government aid as the rest of Canadian residents, based on income. There may be special payments for refugees, but these do not extend to immigrants (at least, not that I am aware of). In fact, immigrants are required to enter Canada with enough money to support their family for at least 6 months, do not gain health care benefits until after 3 months of residence, and other programs available to all residents (such as student financial aid, rent subsidies, etc.) are only accessible following 6 to 12 months of residency.

"Going on welfare" has never been an acceptable option for our family. Therefore, it is nice to live in a place where everyone receives a measure of help in providing for their families and their healthcare.

I'm so happy for you that you live in a homeschooling-friendly area; I certainly don't. That is the biggest drawback for me about living in Canada. The Maritimes are absolutely beautiful and I think Halifax is a wonderful city.

Again, immigrating is not simple, takes a great deal of time and effort just to apply, say nothing about making the actual transition. However, for our family and our situation, it was a good move at a good time.

Speak for yourself Rosie, In summer we see a snake every other day.

When my children were still attending public school ( many years ago) one summer morning they saw 7 snakes on the 3 km bike ride to the school.

Did I mention that I live in the bush?

Is it even appropriate to call that "the bush?" That makes it sound so familiar and close to home. :tongue_smilie:

You could be right. My sister was feeding herself and her partner for $15 a week in Nairobi last year, but last years prices don't mean much this year, do they?

Rosie

Rosie

I am the same way and it is a huge factor in why I will never move out of Alberta. We have a rat patrol at teh borders that helps prevent rats from being in Alberta.

It can be cheaper to feed a family in developing nations, but only if you cook & eat like a native. During my years as an expat we could live real cheaply if we didn't try to recreate the lifestyle we were used to 'back home.' Putting meals on the table that were of the quality, quanity, & flavors that I was used to in the States was not cheap. Even here in NZ, when I cook "American" it cost heaps more than a kiwi meal. My Thanksgiving (10 lb.) turkey costs over $70 each year!

If the main reason you are looking to move overseas is to get ahead financially, try to get the true cost of living from some expats in the area you are looking at moving to. What does the company provide as part of the benefit package? housing ($ amount or do they own company housing that you'll be assigned?) Do they pay power, water, phone, internet? Do they provide a work vehicle? Can this be used for family? Is there public transport nearby? What does it cost & is it safe for expats? Will the company pay school fees (either in an international school or homeschool fees)? Do they pay for airfares yearly or at beginning & end of contract? Will you be paid in US$ or local currency? Will you be given a moving allowance (usually by weight) for shipping household belongings?

If you are moving for financial reasons then what you want to focus on it what $ you will have left after providing the lifestyle you are comfortable with for your family. In Fiji we were able to save roughly half my dh's salary, but...we lived in housing like the Fijian middle class (not the standard expat housing), I used the local buses, we did not have a live-in house girl, we did not take frequent or fancy holidays at the resorts, our dc were under the age of 5. We left Fiji for many reasons, but finances was a big part. The company would not pay school fees & our dd had just turned 5. School our last year in Fiji for 2 dc was $5000 & that was a small private school that middle class locals attended, not the international school. Also when we moved there we has a newborn & a 2yo. Our airfares were a set $ amount that did not cover 4 fares only 2 & they were only beginning & end of contract, not annual fares. When it began to cost us to live overseas, we knew that it was time to move 'back home.' There is enough relationship 'costs' that come with living overseas, without adding in financial costs as well.

JMHO,

Excellent advice Deb!

That's why we are going about this in a slow, methodical fashion. The reality is that we live comfortably here, we really do. But, dh's wages have stagnated and his company has consistently said the only opportunity for advancement and pay raise is to work internationally. He's looked at other computer tech jobs in the U.S. and for the most part, it is the same at the other companies. We don't need more personally, but our grand-niece - almost one now - has good, loving parents and a BAD financial situation. They were young and naive, didn't do well in high school, didn't pursue any additional training, and now have no prospects in a state with a very HIGH unemployment rate and no ability to get out. They only have a roof over their heads because when great-grandma died, she left them a life-lease or "until Rosie graduates high school" lease in trust on her house. The house isn't in bad shape, but it will need a roof in a couple of years and some other things. They are not even able to make the property tax. My brother does that for them. My brother's finances are not great so paying their property tax and property insurance is literally all he can do for them.

We help now and manage that just fine. But looking at rising costs, rising health insurance premiums (due to go up another $300.00 per month this January), and inflation with no hope of any future pay raises, means at some point, they are going to be in a world of hurting when we can't contribute more or if we have to help less. The state of Michigan is instituting austerity measures because it is nearly bankrupt and as a result, they will no longer qualify for food stamps or health insurance for my niece. Grand niece will still have insurance, mamma will not.

My niece, 21 years old, is considering having her tubes tied while she still has coverage because Rosie was a huge surprise (using two forms of birth control at that time though niece has always had unpredictable cycles which makes things tougher) and she knows they can not afford for her to get pregnant again. Can you imagine being only 21 and facing the choice of ending your baby-having permanently at that age due to finances? So sad. She's a good mamma too! Rosie is much loved, much interacted with, meticulously taken care of.

Additionally, we are very concerned about my folks. My dad's business may very well go under as small businesses in Michigan are tanking left and right. He's had to put 50% of he and mom's retirement funds in it to keep it afloat and so now they don't have enough to retire on though they are 67 years old. Again, we'd like to be in a position to help. But, in order to do that long term, with three boys all on the downhill slide to adulthood and college, something has to give. Dh has not been able to find a position stateside in a cost of living similar to here (very reasonable) and yet higher wages. He can get jobs with other companies for the same wage and similar benefits, but none of those offers are worth moving for. But, either within his own company or with another tech firm, he can move overseas and get about 25-30% more wages and in some of the locales, modern medicine and good health benefits to pay for that, are available. So, the question becomes can we find somewhere that we can live comfortably, no need to live high on the hog at all, homeschool our kids so we don't have to pay for international schools, have access to good cardiac care (ds has a heart condition, though at this time it is considered functional and just being watched), ne reasonably safe, and so that we can actually send some money home to the relatives.

Mil dropped a bombshell on us last night. She is going in today to be tested for a variety of auto-immune problems. She's apparently been hiding a few symptoms from us. DH's brother and sister called us to remind dh that they have no intention of helping with mil. So, if she turns out to be seriously sick, I can just end my research and hope that things turn around for the relatives. Dh won't leave her and frankly, I'd be scared to with his sibs' rotten attitudes! That would leave dd, just getting started in adult life, to care for and possibly make medical decisions for her grandmother while working 5 - 12 hr. shifts per week as a paramedic while she takes a break from pre-med. UGH! I won't do that to dd either.

Sigh, we'll just have to wait on those medical tests. Meanwhile, I still dream of far-off places like Thailand!

Dh says that if we can't manage an international move that will better position us to help, then we will be stepping up our hobby farm efforts so we can at least feed people. I definitely see the value in this. However, that feels a little daunting because he works 75 hrs. a week regularly and so really, most of that work will fall on me. I have the boys to help. But, they've got school work to do plus activities that they need to participate in both for personal development, and to have those "interesting" attention getters on their college applications when the time comes. I already have plans to can, freeze, or dehyrate a huge amount of food this year. To do that in order to give it away to family, well, it seems overwhelming.

Faith

A friend just left last week to work in Abu Dhabi. With the higher salary & expat benefits he sees himself being able to pay off his total mortage & have a decent amount in savings by this time next year. But he has had to work away from home & family for the year with only a 2 week visit home this coming January. He has gone over with the local company that he has worked with for years. There are a number of families in our city that have the dh working away from home for weeks or months at a time because the $ is so much better than what they can make locally (or simply because there are jobs available) I don't suggest that having your dh work overseas w/o you is the best option, but it isn't an unheard of choice here. Even my dh has had to take work away from home. He's currently working on EQ recovery in Christchurch & is away from home for 3-6 weeks at a time. This isn't ideal, but after almost a year of unemployment, any work is better than no work. We haven't relocated our family because we are needing to help care for his elderly father & our boys are involved in things here that would be hard, if not impossible to get into in a new area.

With your mil possibly needing your support, would it be better to look at how you could help your niece & her partner to up-skill so that they had a better chance at gaining jobs that could support them better? Is WIC available in your area? Sometimes the threshhold for WIC is higher than that for Foodstamps. Could you niece take in kids to babysit? Do they have a garden & can you teach them to preserve the surplus?

Blessings,

With your mil possibly needing your support, would it be better to look at how you could help your niece & her partner to up-skill so that they had a better chance at gaining jobs that could support them better? Is WIC available in your area? Sometimes the threshhold for WIC is higher than that for Foodstamps. Could you niece take in kids to babysit? Do they have a garden & can you teach them to preserve the surplus?

Blessings,

I'd love to help my niece and her husband up their skills. I think it would be ideal. However, there are couple of things batting against us. First, the two community colleges that would take them (remember, they were completely immature in high school and took easy classes and content with D's and D-'s for grades) are closing due to budget cuts. The next county west, which has a wonderful community college and vocational training institute, now has a record number of applications due to the closing of our c.c.'s (which, all things said, were not stellar by any stretch but definitely better than nothing). Because of the record number of ap's and the fact that they are not getting any increased funding so they can't increase their faculty, they are now competitive to get into. It's estimated that a minimum 3.25 high school GPA and 25 on the A.C.T. will be the bottom line. Neither niece nor her boyfriend took the A.C.T. and I can tell you that even if I tutored them and they studied hard, a 25 would be very hard for them to get because neither of them can do mathematics at ALL though their reading skills are stellar. Of course, they don't have the GPA...they do not have a GPA even in the ballpark of that 3.25.

So, the best plan anyone has right now is to see if we can't all pool our resources and do some cosmetic and safety modifications to the house. Niece loves children and is wonderful caring for babies. If she had home that was pleasing and presentable, plus an extra crib or two, some more toys, and updated kitchen (there isn't anything really wrong with the kitchen other than it is so worn out looking that it just isn't amenable to having a daycare business because parents really want their children to go to a bright and cheerful place), then niece may take in a baby/toddler or two for daycare. This would be a big boon to their income, allow her to stay home with Rosie, and give Rosie a playmate or two. It seems like a win-win. But, we've not been able to do anything this summer because our own house needed an $8000.00 roof and we have to update our electrical in the post-100 year old portion of the "church" i.e. our living room before our two-year extension on the permit expires. Sigh...so we haven't had the money to help them with that.

Rosie's daddy works 60 hrs. per week on an organic dairy farm. For extra money this summer, he then took another 30 hrs. per week hoeing in the corn fields. Last week it was 95 degrees with a heat index of 105. Since he'd already worked 60 hrs. in the heat, I was very worried about him working in the corn for another 30. The farmer, a very good man, thankfully, kept checking on him, sent him inside for frequent breaks and did not dock his pay, and had other workers routinely take cold water to him. He managed and will be doing it again this week. I hope the weather cools off soon. He's a hard worker and loves his daughter. But, he doesn't have any skills to speak of and he absolutely did not apply himself in school so that is coming back to bite him in the rear. He isn't even eligible for promotion on the farm because of his lack of taking any AG classes at the state school, or any business classes.

But, we'll keep working towards something. We love that dear little Rosie!

They do have a garden, grandma started one before she died, but they are pretty clueless about how to care for it. Thanks for reminding me. It did occur to me that they can get free master gardening lessons at the MSU county extension office and if I buy her the jars, lids, and rings, she is eligible to can her produce for free at the community center. They have a commercial kitchen and pressure canners and the extension office is running free classes in canning with a representative from MSU's Agricultural and Food management department. All she has to do is make an appointment and bring her produce. So, thanks for that idea!!!! I hadn't thought of it!

Due to austerity measures, huge portions of people in Michigan are being cut-off from both WIC and foodstamps. Our social safety net for children in this state was never great, now it is going to be less than pathetic. But, it's the Michigan culture's fault. People lived, politician's lived, business lived, as if the great manufacturing heyday would never end. When NAFTA was passed, and despite a huge body of evidence from every economics department of every public and private college in this state that Michigan needed to prepare for and change for a different business future, no one wanted to believe it. Budgets didn't get balanced, new kinds of businesses did not get attracted to the state, nothing evolved...nothing changed. So, now everyone lives with the consequences. This is by in large true of several mid-western states.

Faith