Menu

Would you go camping if you were "due any day"

We have the rare occasion of having no sports this weekend and no other commitments!

The only thing on the agenda is possibly having a baby, :)

although I'm not officially due until June 8th. All the docs say they're surprised I'm still pregnant - I'm 4 cm dilated and have been so for about a week.

The campground is 30 mins from home and even closer to the hospital than we are.

We have a new pop up and the only time we've camped in it was wonderful. Comfy bed, adequate heat/ac if needed, we picked a nice campground, wonderful bathrooms, etc. There's not much to overwhelm us at this little spot, a playground, fishing, trails, etc. I have in my mind it will be a quiet get away before baby comes but my mind isn't all there lately.

WWYD?

BTW, if we stay home, I know hubby won't rest and will be doing baby prep chores and I just want to relax and have "family time".

BUT it is camping after all and there's always SOME work involved in that too.

?????

Well... I don't think I'd go camping if I wasn't due for another 10 years. I don't know what happened... I used to like camping as a child. I think I discovered that it was because I didn't so much mind feeling dirty then. BUT since you are talking about trailer camping (a whole 'nother animal!) and you know the bed is comfy and you are a comfortable distance from your hospital... what the heck! Go for it!

We have the rare occasion of having no sports this weekend and no other commitments!

The only thing on the agenda is possibly having a baby, :)

although I'm not officially due until June 8th. All the docs say they're surprised I'm still pregnant - I'm 4 cm dilated and have been so for about a week.

The campground is 30 mins from home and even closer to the hospital than we are.

We have a new pop up and the only time we've camped in it was wonderful. Comfy bed, adequate heat/ac if needed, we picked a nice campground, wonderful bathrooms, etc. There's not much to overwhelm us at this little spot, a playground, fishing, trails, etc. I have in my mind it will be a quiet get away before baby comes but my mind isn't all there lately.

WWYD?

BTW, if we stay home, I know hubby won't rest and will be doing baby prep chores and I just want to relax and have "family time".

BUT it is camping after all and there's always SOME work involved in that too.

?????

but it sounds nice actually rather than pacing around in the home. Though you might be closer to the hospital, you'll have to pack up camp before you go and then you would carrying all your camping stuff to the hospital.

Why don't you guys just spend the day at the park and do a family picnic?

If it is definitely comfortable and relaxing for you. And if the accessibility to hospital is like you say, then go. But have a plan for what to do if it happens while there. What would you do? Can you pack up quickly and head to the hospital or would that be a big pain? What about the kids? How would they be taken care of if you had to go while there? Would it be easier or harder for you?

Absolutely.

I definitely don't think a woman who is nine months pregnant should feel obliged to go camping if she doesn't want.

But heck, if you want to go, do! I always feel really relaxed and happy when camping. It does require a little setting up, and if you went into labor, someone would have to break camp if you didn't have time.

Other than that, the only drawback I see is that you might be less comfortable. But I always sleep well when I camp, and I think it's because i am removed from all the things I "should" be doing. There is no laundry, no way to pay bills, no windows to clean or vacuum. I relax and LOVE it.

I wouldn't do it.

Camping is indeed fun and relaxing, but it is also a lot of work.

And as someone else mentioned, what if you go into labor while you're there? How easy would it be to take down camp, gather all the stuff together, and then leave?

Or would you just drive off in a car and then go back for the stuff?

And how long could you leave your stuff there untended?

And with a newborn in the house who will have the time or energy to go back through and put away all the stuff, plus do the laundry, etc.?

And aren't you sick of reading the word "stuff"?

Of course your temperament may be totally different than mine and if you don't share any of my concerns, then have a blast! I love camping!

You can still use the campgrounds in the day time--do usual activities--but you bring less stuff.

If you are already at a 4 then when things 'start' you may not have time to secure your trailer and stuff--30 minutes to pack up and you may have baby already!

Bring what you can easily drop in the back of the car--including your hospital bag!

I'd definately get out of the house if you feel like it--but be prepared!

Thanks ladies. I'll have to bring it up with dh - he may reach out and kiss some sense into me and suggest the home/picnic idea instead...he's a bit paranoid she's coming any minute. I had two dreams last night that I was in labor and in one I didn't want to get out of bed to do anything about it :) the other one I was afraid to wake dh because he was finally sleeping so soundly, despite my freight train snoring!

I'll think it over more today - the one thing that would be the clincher is breaking down the camper if we have to stay for a while if something happens to necessitate a hospital stay longer than 24 hrs or so. Otherwise, I think it'll be a good getaway for all of us, the kids (and their parents) are sooooo relaxed and well behaved and just have a great time when we go.

I appreciate your opinions - and even got a good laugh at your thoughts on camping - and btw - we have our own "port a potty" in the camper so those every hour trips in the dark can be from the bed to the pot, not across the campground. No way I'd even think of it otherwise.

Enjoy your weekends! I'd love to post later about the birth of our little one instead of how the camping went, pray for us :D

I can't imagine being in labor or having a complication and having to repack camp. Also the camp smells in the delivery room may be a bit bothersome. Smoky clothes and unwashed kids. I guess it just depends on you.

I don't see a safety issue, just an inconvience issue. If you house is a mess and you go into a quick labor.....oh, well. The dishes will be in the sink when you come home. You can't just leave your camp site safely unsecured and expect anything to be there when you get back.

If you do go into labor, I would check with the camp and make sure its roads are clearly marked for an ambulance if you need one. Make sure that you can get good cell service and maybe even call to find out if 911 can find the camp. Check in with the camp host and let them know where you are. A little preparation can save you a lot of stress in an emergency. You also may want to find out what ambulance service is in the area and what hospital they will take you to. This is less of a problem in more remote area where there are often only one hospital, but if you are on the boarder of an state or county, there may be different contracts with different hospitals.

I was dialted to 3 for a month and continued working a physical job until I was a week overdue. I am not a homebody so to go out and camp at your weeks, doesn't bother me in the least ... just be prepared.

One other side note: if they only have porta potties, I wouldn't go. You are little more prone to infection once your dialated and the thought of any splashes, however unlikely, would keep me at home. :tongue_smilie:

I don't see the big deal about packing up camp. If you gottta go in a hurry, just go. Leave the stuff. Tell the folks on the way out whats going if you feel it necessary. "dude, I'm in labor, must go now, be back asap for stuff" ya know?

WELL, that takes care of that.

DH says "Are you MAD?" He thinks I've been overdoing it anyway and camping would just put be too much. He says he's all up for adventure and spontaneous fun but this is one he's not comfie with. He's the sweetest, wisest guy ever but I think he thinks we prego women are like eggs ready to break :) gotta love that, I sure wouldn't want the opposite.

OK, so we'll be around home this weekend, looks like I need to start finding something challenging and interesting to cook with the girls or something - I'm going bonkers just waiting!

WELL, that takes care of that.

DH says "Are you MAD?" He thinks I've been overdoing it anyway and camping would just put be too much. He says he's all up for adventure and spontaneous fun but this is one he's not comfie with. He's the sweetest, wisest guy ever but I think he thinks we prego women are like eggs ready to break :) gotta love that, I sure wouldn't want the opposite.

OK, so we'll be around home this weekend, looks like I need to start finding something challenging and interesting to cook with the girls or something - I'm going bonkers just waiting!

Was he open to the idea of "day" camping? That sounds like it might be the ticket.

BTW - do you normally go into labor early? I hope you won't take offense at this, but dilating early (especially for a 3rd or 4th pregnancy) is not necessarily a sign of imminent labor. I think it's pretty typical for a woman whose had several deliveries to dilate early, but not necessarily deliver early.

I'm just going by my experience and also friends I've known - but then again I'm not a doctor! ;)

I don't think dh is in the mood for ANYthing very far from home.

And, yep, early all 3 times.

1st - 1 week early

2nd - 2 weeks early

3rd - 3 weeks early

I think it's a combo of factors for the docs I've seen that they think I'll go early but as we all know - doctors can and have been WRONG. It's the not knowing but being told any time now that's making me cuckoo. KWIM?

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and encouragement. For dh's sanity I think I'll take it easy on him (he needs easy right now) and plan things around here.

Too bad though that I don't live near some whitewater - now THAT would be exciting wouldn't it? Take care everyone...