Menu

s/o, s/o, CC (hee!) Is a SOF even biblical?

Tonight's Mass was illuminating to our current topics of discussion for me. One of the scripture readings was on the wheat and tares, how they are supposed to grow together until the harvest. Father, in his homily, specifically said that we as Christians, can want to 'purify' everything in our lives, from the way we live to who we associate with, and how that is not what God wants, how "Protestants, and Muslims are children of God". That to exclude others in an attempt to make ourselves holy, or sanctify ourselves didn't allow God to work in our lives or others, because what might be our wheat is not what He sees as wheat.

In the light of that, is a SOF even biblical?

Edited by justamouse
wayward punctuation, trying to save teh kittehs

Guest Dulcimeramy
Tonight's Mass was illuminating to our current topics of discussion to me. One of the scripture readings was on the wheat and tares, how they are supposed to grow together until the harvest. Father, in his homily, specifically said that we as Christians, can want to 'purify' everything in our lives, from the way we live to who we associate with, and how that is not what God wants, how "Protestants, and Muslims are children of God". That to exclude others in an attempt to make ourselves holy, or sanctify ourselves didn't allow God to work in our lives or others, because what might be our wheat is not what He sees as wheat.

In the light of that, is an SOF even biblical?

Can I come to your church?

That's an interesting question. I've always thought SOFs were more doctrinal, though I know the warning not to yoke oneself to non-believers comes up in discussions of them. And if one's doctrine argues that people of other religions/denominations are wrong/unsaved/d@mned, well, I guess a very narrow SOF would make (biblical) sense. Right?

The other piece of this is what I have said before, iron sharpens iron. Talking with other people forces us to examine our own faith and positions. It is easy to be complacent when you only talk to like-minded people. In impedes our growth.

Interesting food for thought, thanks. :)

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Technically, no I don't think Creeds are Biblical.... Not in an insulting way - it's just that they came way after, and were the interpretation of the Bible as laid down in Ecumenical Councils.

As for SoF - that pastor sounds inspired :)

duh!

Anyone who ever actually read the Gospels can answer that one.

ETA: The 'unequally yoked' verse is from a letter written by Paul. Personally, I think I would rather follow the actual example of Jesus than to get my theology second-hand from one of Paul's letters.

Edited by Rainefox

Technically, no I don't think Creeds are Biblical.... Not in an insulting way - it's just that they came way after, and were the interpretation of the Bible as laid down in Ecumenical Councils.

As for SoF - that pastor sounds inspired :)

Well, there are parts of the New Testament that are probably very early creeds.

The most basic one is "Jesus Christ is Lord."

Another says of Christ Jesus:

"Who, although He existed in the form of God,

Did not regard equality with God to be grasped

But emptied Himself

Taking the form of a bond-servant;

And being made in the likeness of men.

Being found in appearance as a man,

He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to death,

Even death on a cross.

For this reason also, God highly exalted Him,

And bestowed on Him the name which is above every name;

So that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow,

Of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

And every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,

To the glory of God the Father."

What's interesting is that the verse refers to 2 of the *same* substance. I think it's cool that God's word doesn't ever tell us to hide from those who are different or not to associate with them or even learn from them, but when we want to be sharpened, we seek out those who believe as we do.

What's interesting is that the verse refers to 2 of the *same* substance. I think it's cool that God's word doesn't ever tell us to hide from those who are different or not to associate with them or even learn from them, but when we want to be sharpened, we seek out those who believe as we do.

Because the verse discusses two men. We are of the same substance. Even those of us who view things differently.

There has been an attitude in these discussions that followers of Christ and the Bible have to accept anybody and any behavior.

If we look at 1 Corinthians 5: 9-13, that is clearly not the case.

NIV

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.â€[d]

This is not to be interpreted as I think people from 1 denomination do any or all of these things. But it is proof that I am responsible for who I associate with.

The function of a christian homeschool group is to disciple their children in accordance with the bible as best the parents can understand and interpret it. To bring others into the group who either have a completely different understanding and interpretation of the bible or intentionally ignore large blocks of the bible because it is inconvient does not serve the mission of the group.

Tonight's Mass was illuminating to our current topics of discussion for me. One of the scripture readings was on the wheat and tares, how they are supposed to grow together until the harvest. Father, in his homily, specifically said that we as Christians, can want to 'purify' everything in our lives, from the way we live to who we associate with, and how that is not what God wants, how "Protestants, and Muslims are children of God". That to exclude others in an attempt to make ourselves holy, or sanctify ourselves didn't allow God to work in our lives or others, because what might be our wheat is not what He sees as wheat.

I was thinking the SAME thing tonight during our homily!!! :D

There has been an attitude in these discussions that followers of Christ and the Bible have to accept anybody and any behavior.

NIV

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”[d]

This is not to be interpreted as I think people from 1 denomination do any or all of these things. But it is proof that I am responsible for who I associate with.

The function of a christian homeschool group is to disciple their children in accordance with the bible as best the parents can understand and interpret it. To bring others into the group who either have a completely different understanding and interpretation of the bible or intentionally ignore large blocks of the bible because it is inconvient does not serve the mission of the group.

But are we really getting a lot of beer swilling dirty dancing co ops going on? I mean, is that degree of sexual immorality, greedy, idolatrous mommas showing up?

Sounds like we had the same sermon. :001_smile:

NIV

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.â€[d]

:001_huh: I'm speechless, honestly.

NIV

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”[d]

This just feels very out-of-context to me for the SOF discussion.

1. We are talking about behavior in these verses, not just belief. SOFs exclude on belief.

2. SOFs wouldn't necesssarily exclude the immorality these verses talk about. In theory, you could be a lovely Baptist family guilty of all of the above and sign the SOF just fine. You have NO idea what goes on in the private lives of the people in your homeschool group.

3. I really hope you aren't lumping everyone who can't sign an SOF into this category. It would really be an unhealthy leap in logic.

4. How far are you willing to go with this logic? Where are you willing to draw the line on associate? So the homeschool group counts -- even though you really don't know every family in the group and what they do in their private lives. What about your neighbors? Family members? This board? A lot of people spend more time on this board than they do with their homeschool group. Should you be leaving here and not associating here because some people fall into the undesirable category?

I am just confused about what you are saying, I guess. I think you can go to the park with somebody without having to place a stamp of approval on their lives or a judgment on their salvation or lack thereof. God is going to judge everyone, believer and non-believer. And just to go back to the parable from the OP, we ALL have to make sure we are being the wheat and not the weeds. We ALL have enough to worry about with ourselves and our own sin that we shouldn't have so much energy to waste on getting the weeds out of the field. At any given point, we might be one of those weeds.

Edited by Asenik

Apparently you didn't read anything other than the scriptural quote in my previous post.

Correct me where I'm wrong.

That scripture says to not associate with anyone who is not a Christian and who professes that they are and yet bears those sins (which we all wear with our scarlet As, G for greedy, et al).

You take that literally as a warning to be responsible for who you associate with as other Christians because you don't want your child to be associated with people that might have a different interpretation or be intentionally ignorant.

Am I wrong?

Edited by justamouse
culling the wayward snark

Well, I have to say that anyone can come, but I want those who teach my child to be teaching from a similar worldview. So, a SOF is a matter of being in agreement, versus discrimination.

Nobody has argued that any and all points of view should be taught in a co-op setting. People have advocated for a code of conduct that deals with actions instead of beliefs.

I have always understood that the real purpose of a SOF is to help those that are interested in visiting or joining understand up front what Biblical interpretation is being taught in that particular congregation, denomination or group. It would be different if someone that doesn't agree with the SOF wanted to take a role of leadership, but to participate in a group one should not be bound to a list.

A SOF should never be used to divide believers, or to discourage unbelievers and people of other faiths from taking part for that matter. It should be there for informational purposes only, more like a supporting character than a leading role. I cringe at the thought of people being turned away if they don't agree with a SOF. What a slap in the face! How unChristian can you get?

Whenever there is division among believers, it is a clear sign that there is a cloud of oppression present. Division and isolation are not from God! We are supposed to treat each other with love, even when it is necessary for sin to be confronted, it is to be done with love. That, my friends, is biblical.

If the use of a SOF actually divides people rather than being used an informational tool, then yes, I would have to agree that it goes against scripture. Jesus taught that we are to love God more than anything and we are to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Nobody has argued that any and all points of view should be taught in a co-op setting. People have advocated for a code of conduct that deals with actions instead of beliefs.

The more of these SOF threads I've read this week the more I have come to feel that codes of conduct could solve *most* of the problems that groups are trying to preempt with the SOF.

duh!

Anyone who ever actually read the Gospels can answer that one.

ETA: The 'unequally yoked' verse is from a letter written by Paul. Personally, I think I would rather follow the actual example of Jesus than to get my theology second-hand from one of Paul's letters.

Paul's theology is not "second-hand." In no way does it contradict anything that Jesus taught.

Guest momk2000

If Jesus were to start a homeschool co-op, I can't imagine that it would not be all inclusive. Why can't we all just get along? :confused:

Guest momk2000

:iagree:

In the light of that, is a SOF even biblical?

I'm sorry, but I can't get past the fact that he lumped Protestants and Muslims together as the 'tares'. Oh my....

Does not need to be. Seems an odd question.

No, it doesn't need to be. But most of them are made with scripture in mind or using them outright, by Christians.

Maybe there's the thought that many of the groups w/SOFs tend to be made up of "Biblical" Christians?

:confused:

Yes, that, but also that they are used to exclude, not embrace.

I'm sorry, but I can't get past the fact that he lumped Protestants and Muslims together as the 'tares'. Oh my....

I think you missed the point. He was saying that we are all children of God, that even those we see as different from ourselves are still children of God and that we, as finite beings, cannot be sure who the wheat is and who the tare is. We are not to make that call, but to leave that for God to make at final judgment.

We tend to read those verses as if we are the wheat and the "others" are the weeds. That just isn't the case.

Edited by Asenik

I think you missed the point. He was saying that we all all children of God, that even those we see as different from ourselves are still children of God and that we, as finite beings, cannot be sure who the wheat is and who the tare is. We are not to make that call, but to leave that for God to make at final judgment.

We tend to read those verses as if we are the wheat and the "others" are the weeds. That just isn't the case.

:iagree: We don't know God's plans. We don't know people's hearts or people's futures. That is the whole point.

I think you missed the point. He was saying that we all all children of God, that even those we see as different from ourselves are still children of God and that we, as finite beings, cannot be sure who the wheat is and who the tare is. We are not to make that call, but to leave that for God to make at final judgment.

Oh, ok. That's not how I understood it when I read it. Thanks. :D

NIV

You know, these verses specifically deal with *Christians* who behave immorally. They are to be expelled *from the Church* if they refuse to repent, the purpose being that they will be so stunned at being expelled that they finally repent and can be accepted back into fellowship. These are *not* verses which tell us not to have relationships at all with non-Christians. IOW, I don't see how they have anything to do with a support group's having a strict statement of faith and not allowing anyone in who cannot in good conscience sign it.

NIV

You've taken the above in red out of context and made it mean something it wasn't intended to mean.

Why does it matter which understanding/interpretation of the Bible one has to visit the post office or see how the fire truck works?

I really truly do not understand that.

If Jesus were to start a homeschool co-op, I can't imagine that it would not be all inclusive. Why can't we all just get along? :confused:

But, but, but.... She started it.

:lol::lol::lol:

(I truly am not pointing a finger at anyone. Just my weird sense of humor shining through tonight.)

Maybe there's the thought that many of the groups w/SOFs tend to be made up of "Biblical" Christians?

:confused:

As opposed to non-Biblical Christians? Maybe I'm tired and not getting what the " " mean, but are there any non-Biblical Christians?

Well, I'll tackle your question first because I think it's pretty obvious ;-)

Homeschoolers are notorious for being inflexible...and whiny. Even Christian homeschoolers.

Curricula, co-ops, extracurricular activities; all must be exactly to our liking or we moan and groan about it. I've done my share of grumbling, and listened to more than my share ;), forgetting that when I chose to homeschool, I chose the road less traveled and should have no expectation of other people or groups rising up to support me in whatever way I deem appropriate.

If I find a support group or co-op that is a perfect fit~that is a bonus! Hallelujah! Praise God!

But if I don't, then it's not the other person or co-op's fault because they don't owe me anything.

Nor are they bad people for not owing me anything.

They are simply people trying to do the same thing I am trying to do, in a different way.

Of course we can be disappointed. Who doesn't want everything to line up neatly?

But that is our individual burden. Go and God Bless should be our only response to those we cannot partner with while homeschooling.

Now, in regard to your statement “If Jesus were to start a homeschool co-op, I can't imagine that it would not be all inclusive.â€

There are many Christians who believe that Jesus is not all inclusive.

He will cause division between family members (Luke 12:49-53,) claims only a few will find Him (Matthew 7:13-14,) and not everyone will be claimed by Him (Matthew 7:21-23.)

I am not being facetious when I ask “Does that sound all inclusive to you?â€

It doesn't to me! It doesn't even sound merciful. Mercy is found only when...well, pm me if you want to hear the sermon :-)

My point is that I do not believe Jesus would start an all inclusive co-op as defined by some members of this forum.

Now, I will also say that it would not bother me to have my older children learn Spanish (isn't that what started all this?) alongside people who don't share my Christian beliefs.

The point is moot however, because I'm not about to put all the work and effort into starting a co-op for anyone, but if I did, I would expect to be able to set forth parameters that helped me accomplish the goals and objectives I had for my children, and expect that other homeschooling parents would be doing the same.

I would also expect that if people weren't grousing about the SOF :rolleyes:, it would be about the curriculum, or hours, or the day, or the dress code, yada, yada, yada, and I refer you back to where I began: Homeschoolers are notorious for being inflexible...and whiny. Even Christian homeschoolers.