Menu

A homeschooling neighborhood?

Hi, everyone.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is holding a competition right now for innovative educational ideas. I submitted two ideas, including one about a way to create a neighborhood in which the majority of families homeschool. You can find it here:

https://ideas.hmh.spigit.com/Page/ViewIdea?ideaid=7182&foolIE6=1

The competition ends today, so there isn't much time for me to incorporate any feedback. However, it occurred to me this morning that no one who has provided feedback on my idea is actually a homeschooler. I am also not a homeschooler (yet), as I only have a small child at home, so I decided to see if any online communities might be able to help give feedback from the perspective of people who are more deeply involved in the homeschooling world.

If any of you have any feedback on the idea, it would be greatly appreciated. If I get the idea prior to 9 pm MST today, I can make changes to my proposal to incorporate your thinking.

Thanks for your help!

I think that it could not, as it would imply some kind of housing discrimination. I could see having a faith-based room in the Resource Center that would be accessible to people of different faiths, with resources available to people of different religions.

Also, can someone explain why that is causing laughter? Ugh, being an eager newbee is hard. :)

But, to be clear, there could be no requirement of religious affiliation. Only evidence that we will allow those who wish to make faith a center of their homeschooling to do so and be tolerant of various faith views. Faith groups could use that room for faithbased discussion and study.

I think that it could not, as it would imply some kind of housing discrimination. I could see having a faith-based room in the Resource Center that would be accessible to people of different faiths, with resources available to people of different religions.

Also, can someone explain why that is causing laughter? Ugh, being an eager newbee is hard. :)

Lpretty, there has been some animated discussion over the last few days over Statements of Faith (SOF). Nobody is laughing at you :) We've just been discussing co-ops and other "groups" and whether we are comfortable with such groups based on their SOF.

Don't feel bad - there were just several long threads about co-ops and their inclusive/exclusive statements of faith. There is no way you should know that.

I haven't read your proposal yet but when my big kids were little that is kind of what we had - somehow all but one family in our neighborhood full of kids was homeschooling and it was fun and useful to do things together. Not sure if that is what your proposal is about so I am off to read it. Anything that brings control closer to home and into our own communities sounds like a good idea to me.

eta: Sounds like homeschooling heaven to me, with many well thought out plans. An interesting idea - thanks for posting it here.

Edited by jcooperetc

The discrimination aspect is bunk, in my opinion.

My community requires dues paid to care for the pools, lakes, tennis courts, etc., whether a resident utilizes them or not. And nobody is forced to utilize them. It's what we all sign in our resale package! The same way everyone pays school taxes, even if we don't utilize the schools.

Editing to add - I love the concept. I would just need my neighbors to understand that I like to go "underground" from time to time and not be offended when I disappear!

Thanks, Carrie! I agree that it is not valid. It surprises me how many people there made comments about that, although the way that forum is set up, in some ways people are motivated to be critical of others in the hopes of swaying judges. Your positive comments are heartening!

Critical feedback is welcome as well. I want to make the idea as solid as possible. I know it's a long shot, but if I won the contest, I can't help daydreaming about what opportunities that might open up. :)

The discrimination aspect is bunk, in my opinion.

My community requires dues paid to care for the pools, lakes, tennis courts, etc., whether a resident utilizes them or not. And nobody is forced to utilize them. It's what we all sign in our resale package! The same way everyone pays school taxes, even if we don't utilize the schools.

Editing to add - I love the concept. I would just need my neighbors to understand that I like to go "underground" from time to time and not be offended when I disappear!

:iagree:

One thing *I* have always wanted in the community (or even if it was a netflix subscriber type service)? Is a resource library. I'd love to have a model of a brain, but I don't want to invest $50 in something we'd only use once in a while.

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo. A resource library would definitely be included in the Homeschooling Resource Center - it is one of the basic items that I listed as being absolutely necessary to such a center. I definitely think the library would include things like models!

I've got a question for everyone. The last criticism in the thread (the one responding to my idea in the contest) is that it isn't inclusive of poorer families. I wrote a passionate response to that, but I wondered what you all think. Do you see a way to make it more inclusive? One of my goals is to create a place where it's easier for people with challenges (such as single parents, etc) to homeschool, but I'm not sure my case is strong enough. Any thoughts you all have on that would be welcome.

You could include one street with townhomes as opposed to single family homes. Maybe the single parents could get together and share childcare duties? Maybe they could have a babysitting co-op (an hours in, hours out style)? What could help facilitate that? A daycare or classroom in the community center?

Huh. That's an interesting idea. Thinking through it.

As for the economic critique... I would think the right sort of neighborhood could really help poorer families who want to homeschool do so. I think when many people think of planned communities, they only think of gated communities that are out of reach to working class families, not to mention often hostile toward children and families in some ways. I think about a neighborhood like Greenbelt, Maryland as an example of a planned community with very different values, and a lot of affordable housing, which might be closer to what you're envisioning.

I'm trying to decide if I would want to live in a homeschooling mecca... I'm not sure.

There's always the possibility of putting dues on a sliding scale. It'd be a headache to manage, lol, but doable.

(I've been trying to convince my community to put a ceiling on senior citizens' dues. We really do need to raise dues, but everyone near or past retirement age comes out to oppose any increase, and then nothing gets done!)

And, really, sometimes that's just the way it goes. I want to live in NJ for almost no regulation and better access to educational opportunities, but it's just not in the budget! Who do I speak to about that? ;)

Huh. That's an interesting idea. Thinking through it.

As for the economic critique... I would think the right sort of neighborhood could really help poorer families who want to homeschool do so. I think when many people think of planned communities, they only think of gated communities that are out of reach to working class families, not to mention often hostile toward children and families in some ways. I think about a neighborhood like Greenbelt, Maryland as an example of a planned community with very different values, and a lot of affordable housing, which might be closer to what you're envisioning.

I'm trying to decide if I would want to live in a homeschooling mecca... I'm not sure.

Thanks for the link to Greenbelt. I had already added in information about New Urbanism, which is a way of developing neighborhoods that meets my ideal, but I like having a concrete neighborhood example to refer to. Helpful!

Carrie, maybe I should consider making it a sliding scale. I would like to have older retired citizens living there as well, as I think it is good for kids (and adults) to associate with people of all ages.

Farrarwilliams, I figured this neighborhood wouldn't be attractive to all who wish to homeschool. I know some people like their autonomy! I would be interested to hear what your reservations are, though. They might not change the idea, but could help me improve it.

One thing *I* have always wanted in the community (or even if it was a netflix subscriber type service)? Is a resource library. I'd love to have a model of a brain, but I don't want to invest $50 in something we'd only use once in a while.

If we're still here when my kids are older, I'll be petitioning our local toy library to buy things like that. I love our toy library! Have a toy library, they are wonderful :D

:)

Rosie

A toy library is such a great idea! Thanks, everyone!

The contest closed last night, so I can't edit my idea any further. I really appreciate the comments you all left here. The winners will be announced in September. I'll keep you posted! :001_unsure:

Thanks, everyone! I thought something like that must be happening. :)

Around here, you haven't really trodden in it until kilts and recipes start flooding your thread. Welcome.

As for a neighborhood, housing is a nightmare right now, and I can name many people from work who very much WANT to move right now but can't because they can't sell their house. It would had to find a neighborhood of people all able to move, and it would have to be new housing, unless you want to start terrorizing a neighborhood with Uzis until the inhabitants vacate. :)

Sorry I missed this earlier. I was thinking about the "discrimination" accusation. I have not read the proposal fully yet, so you may have come up with this. But my grandparents live in a retirement mobile home park for half of the year that doesn't allow children. That isn't discrimination. It is a park for older people who of course can have visistors for short periods of time. I think it is the same type of thing.

Around here, you haven't really trodden in it until kilts and recipes start flooding your thread. Welcome.

As for a neighborhood, housing is a nightmare right now, and I can name many people from work who very much WANT to move right now but can't because they can't sell their house. It would had to find a neighborhood of people all able to move, and it would have to be new housing, unless you want to start terrorizing a neighborhood with Uzis until the inhabitants vacate. :)

Ha ha ha. Didn't you see the part in my proposal about uzis? :lol:

In my area, there are still new neighborhoods being built, so in places like the boonies in which I live, it might be possible. But I agree with you that it wouldn't be easy. For it to work, we'd have to drum up a lot of publicity, I think.

Sorry I missed this earlier. I was thinking about the "discrimination" accusation. I have not read the proposal fully yet, so you may have come up with this. But my grandparents live in a retirement mobile home park for half of the year that doesn't allow children. That isn't discrimination. It is a park for older people who of course can have visistors for short periods of time. I think it is the same type of thing.

That's a good point. I made it clear in the proposal that you don't have to homeschool your kids to live there - you just have to support the Center. I still think that clause is important. Some families might worry that as their kids get older, they might want to go to school. They might not want to live in a place that wouldn't make that an option. To keep it attractive, I think it has to be open. But I agree that it is not at all discriminating to require people who choose to live there to support the center!

Some families in one of the local HS support groups here are actually trying to find a building for "co-housing". While I love the idea of that, there's no way that we would ever consider joining this particular group because we would not be a good "fit" for them politically, religiously, and just generally lifestyle-wise.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your proposal! It's obvious you've put a lot of thought into it and have been doing your research on homeschooling!

I like the idea of a homeschooling community. It actually reminds me of a huge master planned neighborhood in the Houston area. It's definitely not a strictly homeschool community, but it has lots of families with children, and homeschooling is popular enough in the area that there ended up being many homeschooling families. They have their own homeschooling group, and last I heard were developing a co-op as well. The development is populous enough that they have their own sports leagues (which kids of all schooling participate in).

If we had stayed in the Houston area, I was really attracted to the idea of moving to this community, because it would have been nice to have so many resources and potential friends close at hand. However, it is still near a major urban city, so we'd also have the resources and diversity of the city close at hand. I think that in general the insularity of a homeschooling community could become an issue, but being near and involved in a thriving outside community could help to mitigate that concern. Fun stuff to think about!

Anyway, wanted to welcome you to the WTM boards LPretty. There are many regular contributors here who are still in the research phase of homeschooling or who have only very young children, so please don't let that be a deterrent to you sticking around!

Sadly, my experience with other large groups of homeschoolers has been more on the negative side of the scale....

I love the idea of a homeschooling resource center, but can't imagine living in that development personally. I do know people who would love it, though.

Another concern is that the community would become too insulated from non-homeschoolers.... Perhaps a certain percentage of the houses/townhouses have to be homeschool families?

Another issue - aging out. Being military - this isn't a problem for me (we move all the time anyway) - but if you have a large population of people moving in homeschooling - you also have a very small age variation in that group. What happens when all the kids grow up and move? I highly doubt the property owners will want to move out of their homes.....

I have a real estate listing right now in a great neighborhood...a neighborhood that would make a dandy homeschool neighborhood. It's a big planned community with homes ranging from 89,000 up to 400,000...a wide range for Texas. (Great homeschool laws state!) There are pools, playgrounds, and parks. A community center to reserve for group events. A greenbelt park with a stream (if it ever rains again) for observing wildlife. Close to shopping and highways for commuting.

Think of the fun we could have...

Grand Rapids, MI has a really nice homeschool facility. A friend of mine teaches science and history classes there. It's not housing, but nice to have handy.

Thanks, everyone, for your warm welcome and encouragement. I know it's sort of a long shot, but it is fun to have something to dream about for a while anyway. Scrappyhappymama, I definitely plan to stick around! So far I am greatly enjoying reading through these threads and can tell I might learn a lot here.

SailorMom - Thanks for your comments. Can you help me understand why it might be a problem if there aren't a lot of non-homeschoolers nearby? Do you think homeschooling families and kids really differ that much from families and kids who use the public school system? In what ways?

As for your point about what would happen when kids grow up, I'm thinking about that. It's a really good point. In my experience, when people retire they tend to move into smaller houses, leaving the neighborhoods where their kids grew up, but I don't know enough about housing to know if that is really the norm. I envisioned that some older people would remain (which is a positive thing), but a lot of younger families would move in as kids moved out and older folks moved into smaller housing outside the area. That's how the neighborhood I grew up in has changed over time, but again, I don't know if that's the norm or not.

Happy, your area sounds perfect! You never know... :)

Edited by LPretty

Thanks, everyone, for your warm welcome and encouragement. I know it's sort of a long shot, but it is fun to have something to dream about for a while anyway. Scrappyhappymama, I definitely plan to stick around! So far I am greatly enjoying reading through these threads and can tell I might learn a lot here.

SailorMom - Thanks for your comments. Can you help me understand why it might be a problem if there aren't a lot of non-homeschoolers nearby? Do you think homeschooling families and kids really differ that much from families and kids who use the public school system? In what ways?

As for your point about what would happen when kids grow up, I'm thinking about that. It's a really good point. In my experience, when people retire they tend to move into smaller houses, leaving the neighborhoods where their kids grew up, but I don't know enough about housing to know if that is really the norm. I envisioned that some older people would remain (which is a positive thing), but a lot of younger families would move in as kids moved out and older folks moved into smaller housing outside the area. That's how the neighborhood I grew up in has changed over time, but again, I don't know if that's the norm or not.

Happy, your area sounds perfect! You never know... :)

It might be a good idea to have a set townhouses, duplexes or smaller homes for older people. You could make them handicapped accessible, provide wide sidewalks to the community center, etc. Some of the younger homeschool families might like to have the grandparents close by. It could provide wonderful options for families in the sandwich generation.

Sorry I missed all of this until now.

Welcome to the forums. Stick around, things are always interesting.

Thanks, Parrothead! :)

Ms. Mungo, I like that idea. Perhaps those over a certain age would be allowed to live in the neighborhood without paying dues if they live in one of the smaller homes and assist with the resource center in some way (tutoring, babysitting, leading workshops, etc). Of course, for very elderly people, we might make "assist" a very loose word to account for those who are unable to do much. But just being present and part of the community (attending events) would be enough, as it is good for children to be around the elderly, and vice versa!

Then, maybe the way the neighborhood would continue to have families with children as well as age diversity would be that families whose kids have grown up would opt to sell their home but move into a smaller home in the neighborhood (which would, sadly, become available as the older people pass on) and continue to be part of the community in a new way. This would also make room for new families to come to the neighborhood.

The real question is whether it really is the norm that older people sell their homes and move into smaller homes as they get older. If people would get older and the majority just stayed in the homes their children grew up in, SailorMom is right that the homeschooling neighborhood would fall apart, as new families won't want to move into a neighborhood in which their children are a real minority, and most of the people are elderly. In my experience people do move, but I really don't know. I know that it used to be that people bought houses for a lifetime, but I don't think that is the norm anymore.

Edited by LPretty

We have two of these locally to me. One is from our local Museum - the have a loan program that includes all kinds of kits, models, with guides - including an entire archeological dig kit with box, tools, artifacts, sand, dirt, etc.; lots of Native American artifacts; Renaissance art prints; a How to Make a Mummy kit with small figure with removable body parts, gauze, canopic jars, sarcophagus and instruction booklet; lots of science models (including a child size skeleton, model of brain, model of eye and lots of mounted specimens), etc. I'm very excited about it since I just discovered it and its $50/year for homeschool families.

The other thing we have is a Learning Resource Center. This is more school geared - manipulatives, lesson plan, dvds, posters. They do laminating, die-cuts. We can join this for $2.00/year.

The real question is whether it really is the norm that older people sell their homes and move into smaller homes as they get older. If people would get older and the majority just stayed in the homes their children grew up in, SailorMom is right that the homeschooling neighborhood would fall apart, as new families won't want to move into a neighborhood in which their children are a real minority, and most of the people are elderly. In my experience people do move, but I really don't know. I know that it used to be that people bought houses for a lifetime, but I don't think that is the norm anymore.

I guess it depends on the group of people you have... in my experience, the older people stay put :) When I was younger, I was a Navy brat and we moved all the time - NO ONE stayed put! When I was college age, no one owned a house. As an adult, I try to be in places with a reasonable amount of land (minimum 3 acres) - and I've found that people in the similar areas around me just stay put. My husband's family lived in the same house for 45 years (until it burned down); many of their neighbors had been in the same houses for comparable times, as their kids grew up and aged out with my hubby.

For myself, I can say that while I LOVE the idea of being close to a group of homeschoolers - I would likely never live in that neighborhood. 3 main reasons:

1) I can.not.stand HOAs (or similar "ruling entities"). I will not live in an area with them. Period. I don't want to be told what to do, so I won't put myself in a position to be "required" to do/be something specific.

(I am, unfortunately, one of those people who will paint my door some ridiculous color JUST BECAUSE you told me I couldn't do it :lol:).

2) I know a small number of homeschool families that I would LOVE to live closer to. Then a couple I would HATE to live closer to. Then multiple in between - either just "eh" or "past tense great, currently no" or "don't know them enough to say" or "don't really agree with certain things". Imagine throwing all that into permanent housing that you can't just switch away from or easily ignore...

3) I'm not a block party sort of person. Sure, it would be nice to have a family with kids I know available during the typical "school day" closer to me - but with limited exceptions, I wouldn't want to hang out with them on an on-going daily basis. I would love to be able to send the kids to so-and-so's house to play, but I would hate to have so-and-so's kids coming over ALL THE BLOOMING TIME when I am busy - or to feel like I need to include them in things I'd rather just do as a family or with 1 specific close friend, etc.

I think the idea of finding 1 or 2 or 3 families that you get along with well & want to live close to is a fine one - and one that I'd love to do someday. Having a specific large building with multiple rooms set aside for "group" things is also wonderful, as is having a closer homeschool resource library and toy library. Perhaps just making community centers more prevalent and more amenable to homeschoolers would be better...

As for the non-homeschooling families and why I think it would be - well - perhaps a missed opportunity? - to not have them in the mix -

I think any insular group can get so used to reaffirming their own beliefs with each other that they no longer can "think outside the box".

I think that is a shame. And yes - may not be PC - but the homeschooling families I know are VERY different from the PS families (in general - I'm a weirdo). While some of those differences most of us here consider bad - not all of them are.

Another thought - what happens to homeschool kids who are rather insulated when they go to college, or out to get a job? We may want to protect and shelter our children from certain things - each their own things - but how healthy is it really to be surrounded by like-minded people your entire childhood?

Lastly - the vast majority of homeschoolers that I know (living in the south) are not secular - at all. I think it would be a safe assumption that - even if the intention was there to not exclude secular homeschoolers - the reality would be different. I am a secular homeschooler, and I am already excluded for many reasons, so it wouldn't be much of a change, but - it just seems odd I guess.

I wouldn't want to live in a hsing neighborhood. I like going to my friends' homes or meeting at the park, etc. I need boundaries. I do enjoy living on big parcels among the retired. Retired people are awesome, and love my sweet kids.