Menu

Fourteen years ago today.....

I want to thank you all for wishing us well. You are all so sweet. And for those of you who have anniversaries coming up, please let us know when the day arrives!

Hubby's here with all of my favorite Chinese delicacies.

Later, Gators!!! :D:D:D

Well, what a coincidence! An anniversary on a
!!:lol:

Happy Anniversary Anj and Mr.Anj!!!!:D

"conditions are right..."

"You'll be wearing that ugly old t-shirt from that team building exercise from your old work."

"That's why they're called business socks."

Oh my gosh Elaine. I haven't watched that in awhile. I am :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

1) Happy Anniversary!

2) I haven't been able to hang here due to technical difficulties and I miss you!

3) I didn't know you were black!

:D

And right now some people are saying, "What the...? So what if she's black? Who cares?"

Well, call me crazy, but I care. I grew up in a racially diverse area where interracial couples were pretty standard fare. Where I live now that is so not the case. It bugs me that my corner of this corner is ueber white. It just seems so...not representative of the wider world. It strikes me as odd that the business conference I went to the other day had a grand total of ONE non-caucasian person in the room of 300+ people. (And that person was a speaker, in from out of town.:tongue_smilie:) I've wondered here (on this board) before why homeschooling isn't a more racially diverse lifestyle ~ or if it is and I'm just out of the loop. Heck, I posted a poll about race, and I still missed the fact that you're black.

Good grief. This is all coming out wrong and I'm no doubt causing eyes to roll, but I'm just so happy when I discover some diversity in my daily life.:D

Good grief. This is all coming out wrong and I'm no doubt causing eyes to roll, but I'm just so happy when I discover some diversity in my daily life.:D

I understand you perfectly. And, I'm 100% sure *anj* will, too. BTW, glad to see you made it back. I must get your "frustration" vibes, because I was *this close* to sending you another email today just to say, "Whassup" and here you are. Maybe if I just email you daily, you'll be able to get here. Maybe I think too much. :lol:

Sorry, anj. Tangent.

I understand you perfectly. And, I'm 100% sure *anj* will, too.

Oh, I know anj well enough (cough, cough ~ sorta, kinda;)) to know she'll understand. But...seems like there's been some tension 'round these parts of late and I'm trying to tread carefully, kwim?

BTW, glad to see you made it back. I must get your "frustration" vibes, because I was *this close* to sending you another email today just to say, "Whassup" and here you are. Maybe if I just email you daily, you'll be able to get here. Maybe I think too much.

I'm outta the loop, for the most part, and for reasons unknown to me, I've had an hour of accessibility this afternoon. Right when I should have gone running, of course. But I seized the moment to catch up here a bit since who knows when I'll be able to get on again!

I echo Colleen's wishes for a happy anniversary, and wanted to add:

I had the great privilege of actually meeting *anj* and hanging out with her for an evening. While waiting for her to walk into the restaurant -- and you have to understand that both of us were so SURE that we would recognize one another that we did not exchange even a minute of the usual, "I'm about 5'4", I'll have on a denim jumper and keds, and I'll be at the bar" -- it occurred to me exactly two minutes before she walked in that she very well might not be a white suburban mom with a blond bob.

Uh, well, she was not blond. :lol:

But oddly enough, we DID both immediately *know* who the other was. :001_smile:

1) Happy Anniversary!

2) I haven't been able to hang here due to technical difficulties and I miss you!

3) I didn't know you were black!

:D

And right now some people are saying, "What the...? So what if she's black? Who cares?"

Three Things:

1) Thank you very much!

2) I have missed you too, and I'm glad to see you now!

3) You are hysterical!!! You really crack me up, and I knew right away what you meant.

Homeschooling is becoming increasingly diverse. There are at least two people who responded to this thread who I know are black too. We're here!

But I think the cool thing is that because until we started using avatars no one really knew what anyone looked like. And the beauty of that is that we evaluate people based on their words and the way they treat others and not according to some preconceived notion that we might have.

You are so authentic and so real, Colleen. I know that other people were surprised when they saw my picture too. One of them did pm me (you know who you are! ;)) but I think it's cool that you'll say what other people are thinking! :001_smile:

it occurred to me exactly two minutes before she walked in that she very well might not be a white suburban mom with a blond bob.

Uh, well, she was not blond. :lol:

But oddly enough, we DID both immediately *know* who the other was. :001_smile:

That is such a funny story, Pam. I was hoping that you would tell it. I think we recognized the mutually apprehensive yet hopeful expressions on the other's face.

:bigear:

Yeah, but don't you remember? Those other folks in the restaurant could scarcely contain their jealousy. Princeton had never seen such sensible shoes.

You're not kidding! They're still talking about those two gorgeous sensibly shod women. We're legendary!!!

Eliana,

Thank you so much. I loved this:

Our 16th anniversary is next month, and it gets harder and harder to imagine there was ever a time when I didn't define 'home' as where he was.
Beautiful.

Thank you, all of you, for your kindness. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed here by the wealth of it. :grouphug:

That is such a funny story, Pam. I was hoping that you would tell it. I think we recognized the mutually apprehensive yet hopeful expressions on the other's face.

:bigear:

When I met Pam, she was so hopeful she was in the bathroom! I opted to not shout out "Hey, Flaming Sword, you in here??" But I did check for sensible shoes under the stall. :lol:

But I think the cool thing is that because until we started using avatars no one really knew what anyone looked like. And the beauty of that is that we evaluate people based on their words and the way they treat others and not according to some preconceived notion that we might have.

:thumbup:

Yes! So often our outer gets in the way of our inner... What a wonderful thought to share.

One of them did pm me (you know who you are! ;))

:001_tt2:

I'll claim the PM. Yet, I must note that it was about the pictures rather than color of your skin. I mentioned your interracial marriage in the PM because I figured I was, you know, like the last one to know or something. Apparently not. :blush:

But, I will say now that it makes me more than a little sad that you (and others?) may have felt that you would have been any less welcomed or appreciated had you made that known early on. Not because you were withholding information, but because you truly have to face that in your life. I don't want to take a very happy thread down an unhappy path here. So, I'll just wrap up by saying I'm glad you're out, anj! :lol:

Homeschooling is becoming increasingly diverse.

Good news!

Yeah, those preconceived notions...That speaker I mentioned in my previous post ~ the lone non-white guy at the business conference ~ is named Sharif Abdullah. He was telling me that people seem to expect him to "be" a certain way, either because he's black, or because of his name, or both.

You are so authentic and so real, Colleen. I know that other people were surprised when they saw my picture too. One of them did pm me (you know who you are! ;)) but I think it's cool that you'll say what other people are thinking! :001_smile:

Yeah, you can count on me to keep it real. I appreciate you, too!

WE have a very active support group at both the city and state level that is for minorities and it is a wonderful, growing group. Actually, that's kind of a funny label in a city like Houston, where whites are technically in the minority! LOL Anyhow, I grew up in Houston and I love the diversity. That's what's normal to me, and I never quite fit in when we lived in the country. But as far as homeschooling goes, minorities make up a large chunk of homeschoolers around here, and I think that trend is growing. That means that homeschooling is maturing and becoming main stream, and is not caught in the grip of some fringe group.

Hope you had a wonderful anniversary, Anj!

I know that other people were surprised when they saw my picture too. One of them did pm me (you know who you are! ;)) but I think it's cool that you'll say what other people are thinking! :001_smile:

I'm glad you outed yourself.

It saves me the embarrassment of, some day, saying something stupid, like, "*anj*, I just don't think you understand racial issues in this country!"

(I'm not entirely sure I haven't said such a silly thing already.)

Happy belated anniversary to you!!

It saves me the embarrassment of, some day, saying something stupid, like, "*anj*, I just don't think you understand racial issues in this country!"

Thanks, Sarah! :lol::lol:

And worry not, you've never said anything like that. :001_smile:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Kimberly

I didn't know that the little girl in the picture was you. I don't hang out on the general boards enough. I miss all of the non-curriculum details. :)

Thanks, Kimberly. :001_smile:

Yep, that's me in all my "I see London, I see France" glory!