Menu

Really Important Poll: Catsup vs. Ketchup

Which is the correct spelling of the condiment?  

1. 1. Which is the correct spelling of the condiment?

• Catsup
    • Ketchup

Joy of Cooking and Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook both list it as "catsup".

The bottle in my fridge says "Organic Ketchup".

The Webster's American Family Dictionary lists it under both spellings.

Which spelling do you feel is the correct one?

Poll should post shortly.

I feel strongly that it's "ketchup" but I wonder how much of that is brand association, as Heinz spells it that way.

Me, too. And it is also "ketchup" on the Muir Glen bottle. And Annie's. Weirdly, some Westbrae are catsup and some are ketchup. :blink:

Both!

My dad (from the Midwest) always says catsup, but I think he's the only person in this U.S. who does.

As I type this, my spell-checker objects to catsup, so I suppose I'll have to vote for ketchup... :tongue_smilie:

:DI never saw anyone actually spell it when I was growing up, and we didn't use it very much so I never noticed what was written on the bottle. But I say "ketchup," so that's how I voted. :001_smile:

I once published a homeschool newsletter called "Ketchup," so people could read it and catch-up on what was going on.

Now we can hijack this thread and begin the Baked Bean Wars, a regional pasttime from my youth.

Do you make your baked beans using molasses or using catsupketchup ?

"Obligatory Other" is "both"; however, please don't ask me to eat that version !

Maple Syrup beans! Yummmmmmm.

My kids really like this story joke:

A family of tomatoes was out for a run. The mom and dad tomatoes were in the lead. The brother tomato was keeping up just a little ways behind them. But the baby sister tomato was way behind. The brother was getting more and more frustrated with her. Finally, he ran back to her, stepped on her and yelled, "Ketchup!"

I am sorry, but it is called Tomato Sauce, or maybe BBQ sauce, but usually tomato sauce.

You always need an "other". :001_smile:

Peela, what would you and your neighbors call the substance that many (most?) of us up here refer to as "tomato sauce"? Thanks! (I've never had an Australian cookbook, but if I ever do, I'll need to know the right terms.)

I like seeing "catsup" because it makes me laugh.

We watched a Simpson episode years ago in which Mr. Burns had to shop for himself and couldn't figure out which to buy...ketchup or catsup. My dh and I had a great laugh because that's exactly what happens whenever I send dh to the store by himself.

I am not sure about the spelling but we are from NZ and say tomato sauce:001_smile:

We are currently visiting the States and have learnt to ask for ketchup after many a puzzled look. Just one of the curious differences between British and American english that make me think that they are not the same language at all.

Even the word tomato causes problems. Yesterday my DD3 was asked during a warm up exercise for her gym class what she would like to sprinkle on the pretend pizza they were making. She said tomato. In the end I had to "translate" as the instructor got stuck on her pronunciation...much to my daughter's embarassment.

tomato catsup is good, but my favorite is banana ketchup!

Ketchup was not specifically a tomato product. I believe Heinz made theirs a tomato product which made it common throughout the US which made many forget about all the other kinds of ketchups.

I put rootbeer in my baked beans! :D

Now we can hijack this thread and begin the Baked Bean Wars, a regional pasttime from my youth.

Do you make your baked beans using molasses or using catsupketchup ?

"Obligatory Other" is "both"; however, please don't ask me to eat that version !

Baked Beans come from a can. I don't pretend to know what they put in them. ;)

Well then what do you call tomato sauce? And then what do you call BBQ sauce?

I want to know, too.

To me, "tomato sauce" is a generic term for any of the various red pasta sauces (marinara, Bolognese, etc.)

BBQ sauce to me is spicier and less sweet than catsup.