Menu

80's Again: Yesterday at the library I saw two moms with alligator-clip feathers

Guest Dulcimeramy

in their hair. What is going on, here? When we did wear them, back then, it was to concerts or roller skating. Not with capri pants and flip-flops at the library with kids.

Are any of you wearing feathers in your hair? If so, why? Were you not around to wear them in the 70's and 80's?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRT_JIzz0fLv0pRQI6VPXYNUz1ENXoJm45Gf2GkPtadj_vEQhN5

Guest Dulcimeramy

I asked DH if he'd seen this, and he told me the local paper actually ran a human interest piece on it. Indystar gave the credit/blame to Steven Tyler on American Idol! Is that true?

StevenTylerFeather-and-best.jpg

Guest Dulcimeramy
I wore them in the eighties, I am not doing it again!:tongue_smilie:

I loved them in the 80's. Denim, feathers, t-shirts...I'm going to see if I can find a picture of a girl wearing that getup back then. (I don't have any of me. Mom probably does, but I'm not going to send her on a search through her album archives for me with feathers in my hair.)

Hmmm, I graduated high school in the 80's and had forgotten all about these. I don't remember if I ever wore one.

On another 80's hair note, yesterday my dd17 showed me her comb and said, "Just in case you were wondering this is a teasing comb. Don't try to use it, because it is different from a regular comb."

I got a good laugh at that and replied, "I was a teenager in the 80's... we teased our hair with regular combs. As a matter of fact, we were so good we could tease our hair with just our fingers!"

Guest Dulcimeramy

Not the stirrup pants! I always thought the knee-less look was a little creepy, even when I wore it myself.

I'm not finding any photos of teen girls in guess jeans, denim jacket, feather clips. Still looking.

I saw something about this recently. Apparently young girls/women are ticking off all the fly fishermen becasue they are going to fishing shops and buying these fishing lure-type things to put in their hair. I'm serious. I did hear that Steven Tyler started the craze.

Today's aren't the alligator clip type, they are actually called "feather extensions." I learned this from my former hairdresser, on Facebook.:tongue_smilie:

So it's not roach clip with a feather on it anymore? :tongue_smilie:

They came back before Steve Tyler was on that show.

I saw a woman wearing stirrup pants a few weeks ago and actually stopped in my tracks. :D

I totally rocked my stirrup pants..... in third grade. These three-baby thighs ain't going in those things ever again.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Oh, my goodness. TxMary2, look what I just found. They are calling them 'feather extensions' because you don't just clip them in (roach clip! I'd forgotten that), you actually install them near your hairline and wash them with your hair, leaving them in for 2 or 3 months.

Here is a video on feather extension installation.

OK, this is a little cooler than just clipping them in underneath your Farrah Fawcett wings.

I totally rocked my stirrup pants..... in third grade. These three-baby thighs ain't going in those things ever again.

I did too!! In the mid-80s. I wanted to run up to her and ask her if she found those someplace recently or if her house burned down and those were the only pants that survived!!!

And no, she did not have the body for them. Eep.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Aaannnndddd here is how you take them out. This is not brain surgery, but there are things you need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFr-OfVxRM&feature=related

I was wondering about this at a family get together dh's aunt(50s) had one. They were talking about how 'everyone' is doing it, of course they are the cool people and we are not. No one in my circle wears feathers in their hair. I don't see the allure personally but whatever.

So it's not roach clip with a feather on it anymore? :tongue_smilie:.

That is exactly what I was thinking!

I have seen a couple of women wearing stirrup pants. I died a little on the inside.

Dh and I saw some teenagers awhile ago and I looked at him and asked "Did we look that stupid when we wore that? They look pretty stupid."

It seems we did look that ridiculous. * sigh * I miss my Jou Jou purple and pink striped cigarette jeans with the matching denim jacket.

Oh, yeah. Jellies just hurt my feet! But I did love the stirrup pants. Leg warmers, anyone?:)

I hate the way the knee kind of pops out from nowhere when you walk in stirrup pants. I didn't have them in the 80s and I won't have them now. My grandma told my mom leggings aren't in style but the two of us still wear them. I got really upset -- I do not wear leggings anymore! Too 90s!

I tried in vain to bring back the banana clip a few years back. I guess it didn't work! LOL :tongue_smilie: I did get a lot of strange looks at the supermarket, though.

Now hold the phone.... I saw banana clips in both Claire's and Icing at the mall last week... They are definitely trying to resurface!

One of my older customers (60s) had one of these feathers in her hair today. Seems I recall that MY feather/roach clips were of the neon-color variety...certainly not the natural feather look that is popular right now.

Oh, and I won the majority of my feather clips at the fair. That was the 'must have' prize back then. Those, and mirrors with rock star logos on them (I had one that said "Rick Springfield" and one that said "Rolling Stones"). :tongue_smilie:

I refuse to ever go back to leg warmers over jeans. Or headbands. The kind that Pat Benatar used to wear. Never. Again.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Banana clips! :svengo: I lived in those in jr. high. Poofy bangs and all.

Well, I guess this makes us all middle-aged or something. Might as well face it.

I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to re-visit 80's fashions unless we can also have some 80's prosperity around here.

Acid-washed jeans, feathers, and banana clips do not go with the current unemployment rate. Just my humble opinion. It takes a certain level of materialism (and money) to dress that badly on purpose.

I sound like my own grandmother.

Ha ha, my mom told a much younger relative that his baggy pants made him look like he was in a gang! Ha ha. I told her that's how boys dressed when I was in hs and it has nothing to do with gangs! Ha ha.

What's worse than pants hanging down too low? Those awful tight jeans on men. Or those small, tight basketball shorts! Ack.

My dd Grace has feather extensions in her hair. I think she looks adorable with them. Not only do I not mind the look of feather extensions, I am actaully the one who took her to the salon and paid for them.

I don't want them myself, but I would looooove to Bring Back Big Hair! Sigh. Big hair was good for me.

Guest Dulcimeramy
One of my older customers (60s) had one of these feathers in her hair today. Seems I recall that MY feather/roach clips were of the neon-color variety...certainly not the natural feather look that is popular right now.

Oh, and I won the majority of my feather clips at the fair. That was the 'must have' prize back then. Those, and mirrors with rock star logos on them (I had one that said "Rick Springfield" and one that said "Rolling Stones"). :tongue_smilie:

I refuse to ever go back to leg warmers over jeans. Or headbands. The kind that Pat Benatar used to wear. Never. Again.

That reminds me: I've been seeing torn sweatshirts over sports bras, sideways to expose bare shoulders and short enough to expose midriffs. Flashdance is alive and at my local grocery store.

I saw a woman wearing stirrup pants a few weeks ago and actually stopped in my tracks. :D

Gag, stirrup pants are the worst.

Stirrups = instant cankles

Hmmm, I graduated high school in the 80's and had forgotten all about these. I don't remember if I ever wore one.

On another 80's hair note, yesterday my dd17 showed me her comb and said, "Just in case you were wondering this is a teasing comb. Don't try to use it, because it is different from a regular comb."

I got a good laugh at that and replied, "I was a teenager in the 80's... we teased our hair with regular combs. As a matter of fact, we were so good we could tease our hair with just our fingers!"

:lol::lol::lol: My brother got married in 1986, I was in 9th grade. I would like to burn the pictures. It looks like I took an egg beater to my bangs.

I hate the way the knee kind of pops out from nowhere when you walk in stirrup pants.

:lol: stirrup pants, shudder.

That reminds me: I've been seeing torn sweatshirts over sports bras, sideways to expose bare shoulders and short enough to expose midriffs. Flashdance is alive and at my local grocery store.

Flashdance is way better than what I've been seeing. Neon bras + tube tops or other strapless garment held in place by the bust. Seein's believin'.

I'm bummed that this is coming back now. When it was popular in the 80s, my mother forbid me to wear it. I recall many fights over the torn sweatshirts and midriff shirts. Now I'm too old to pull it off. LOL :lol:

Remember the torn up jeans (a la Jon Bon Jovi)? I remember buying a pair of jeans (with my babysitting money) that were completely shredded (you wore colored tights under them), and my mother was horrified. LOL

Big hair would be fun though. Aussie Instant Freeze is SO MUCH better than Aquanet ever was! ;)

I'm bummed that this is coming back now. When it was popular in the 80s, my mother forbid me to wear it. I recall many fights over the torn sweatshirts and midriff shirts. Now I'm too old to pull it off. LOL :lol:

Remember the torn up jeans (a la Jon Bon Jovi)? I remember buying a pair of jeans (with my babysitting money) that were completely shredded (you wore colored tights under them), and my mother was horrified. LOL

Big hair would be fun though. Aussie Instant Freeze is SO MUCH better than Aquanet ever was! ;)

Ooooh, with the bandana wrapped around the leg?! :001_wub:

My dd Grace has feather extensions in her hair. I think she looks adorable with them. Not only do I not mind the look of feather extensions, I am actaully the one who took her to the salon and paid for them.

I don't want them myself, but I would looooove to Bring Back Big Hair! Sigh. Big hair was good for me.

When big hair comes back I will be hip again!

Oh, and I won the majority of my feather clips at the fair. That was the 'must have' prize back then.

That was my experience, too. They were popular at the fair. But then, my friends and I were conflicted about them, because they were "roach clips", so they were a little scandalous.

Wendi

So Monday, (when I was neck deep in extended family and their drama), I walk into my living room to see my 6 year old wearing a feather from her play boa...... in her hair. :001_huh:

When I asked what it was doing there she told me she wanted to be like Mamaw. You heard it right, her GREAT-GRANDMOTHER was sitting next to her sporting a neon yellow feather in her hair. :svengo:

Mamaw smiled at me and told me it was the latest trend.

This would be just one of the reasons I spiked my raspberry-lemonade crystal lite. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by BLA5

not savy enough yet to know how to post pixs here, but it looks like the tinsel you put on the christmas tree. there are a bunch of colors you can use. the hairdresser puts them in your hair--as many as you want. usually around 5-or 6. take a couple of minutes they are tied on to a few strands of hair at the roots and are cut to the length of your hair. i have a champagne color in my blonde hair. i didn't want it to stick out too much, but does make a shimmer when you get close. since i'm a mom i didn't want to be too flashy. anyway, they stay in for a few weeks until it falls out. i have 2 teenage boys and don't get to do much girl things. its been fun.

angel