Menu

Shopping for bagless canister vacuums: I need one that will pick up LOTS of dog hair

I know there are many, but can anyone make recommendations? I have seen the Dyson Animal and the Electrolux models at Sears, and the Hoover is very popular.

• Dyson Animal
  • Electrolux EL4300A
  • Hoover Wind Tunnel S3765-040 This one is very popular at Amazon. See link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-Canister-Electronic-S3765-040/dp/B00008UI0R/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would prefer the tools to be stored on-board the machine, and I would also like to be able to clean up high.... curtains, for instance.

We have a big German sheppherd dog who sheds constantly! I sincerely need to vacuum every day. I don't want to have to buy that many bags. Also, Lego toys are much easier to rescue from a bagless vacuum!:D

Please recommend a well-made, long-lasting, powerful bagless canister vacuum. And tell me where I can get the best deal! :001_smile:

ETA: All of our home is either hard wood or ceramic tile. We have 2 large area rugs. I mainly want to be able to keep the pet fur under control. Since we have mostly hard wood, the canister vacuum makes the most sense, but if there is an upright that is well-made, long-lasting, powerful and bagless, please let me know! I've read alot about the Miele on this board.... it's just so expensive!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I have the dyson ball animal. Or whatever order that should be in. I have a couple tools that don't snap on (or I just haven't figured out where they go).

It is fantastic. We don't have a dog, but we do have allergies. I have to empty the canister in a bag outside, but I would with any bagless.

This isn't on your list, but we have had EXCELLENT results with the Shark Navigator Liftaway. We have 2 big labs and 2 cats - sometimes I feel like the animal hair will take over the house.

It works like the Dyson for a lot less money. It works as well on bare floors as it does carpet. It also has a pet hair attachment for the hose.

ETA: I don't have experience with the "long-lasting" part yet, but for the price (~$180) it is WAY cheaper than a Dyson!

I've had my Dyson Animal for 8 years and have had exactly one problem with it. Ok, two:

1: my oldest daughter decided to vacuum down the stairs, which dragged the vacuum crashing down the stairs, which crimped the hose. We bought a new hose.

2: it demonstrates how truly disgusting we are every.single.time we vacuum. :001_huh: :lol:

Seriously, the only thing I would recommend is getting a second HEPA filter. Mine gets all clogged with dust about halfway through any massive vacuum I do (after several sessions between, not each time I vacuum), and it's nice to have a second one while the other one is drying.

eta: The Dyson replaced two Windtunnels. One broke with the beater bar on, stayed at the only "authorized repair center" waiting for a part for 3 MONTHS until we complained directly to Hoover. They sent us a new one, which broke with the beater bar off the very first time we used it.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I have to second the Shark Navigator Lift Away. I know it might seem cheesy because of the infomercials, but we bought ours at Target. We shopped/compared for a year before buying this one. It was between this and the Dyson Animal. We also bought the extended warranty, even though the manufacturer has a decent policy.

This vacuum is lightweight, easy to use.

The first time we used it, we were amazed at how much it picked up in one pass. We vacuum 1x in morning, 1x at night due to allergies. This vacuum has been great!

HTH!

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Eraser-Dual-Cyclonic-Upright-3920/dp/B000VDQ38E

I have six cats and two dogs indoors, and I live in the country. Two of the cats are long-haired, and one of my medium-haired cats sheds and creates dander like there's no tomorrow. One dog is a Schipperke and the other a Corgi, and they both shed incessantly as well. This vacuum is great. The canister is small, which is kind of a pain because it has to be emptied quite a bit, but it gets EVERYTHING. I've had it for a couple years now and haven't regretted it a bit. Good luck in your search!

I have a bulldog who leaves tons of white hair everywhere. I recently bought the Shark Navigator after reading all the reviews on Amazon. It works like a dream!!! BB and Beyond sells them, and if you use one of their 20% off coupons, you can get a really good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Upright-Bagless-Cleaner-NV22L/dp/B002IPHBNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310002817&sr=8-1

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Eraser-Dual-Cyclonic-Upright-3920/dp/B000VDQ38E

I have six cats and two dogs indoors, and I live in the country. Two of the cats are long-haired, and one of my medium-haired cats sheds and creates dander like there's no tomorrow. One dog is a Schipperke and the other a Corgi, and they both shed incessantly as well. This vacuum is great. The canister is small, which is kind of a pain because it has to be emptied quite a bit, but it gets EVERYTHING. I've had it for a couple years now and haven't regretted it a bit. Good luck in your search!

Oh no! I was going to tell her not to get this one. I really hate the attachments, it has to be emptied constantly, and I don't think it does a very good job on floors. Carpet is just okay. Also the turbo attachment that came with it didn't last long at all. We have 2 cats and a dog. One of the cats is long haired, and the dog is a Sheltie. Lots of hair in our house! I think I'm going to look into the Shark.

I'm bookmarking this thread. I have 2 German Shedders. I vacuum while they're outside, and within an hour of them coming in, it looks like I didn't vacuum. :glare: My Kenmore works decently, but it's getting old, and I'm starting to have trouble finding bags for it at my Walmart. Sears is much farther away, and the bags are expensive. I'm ready to try a bagless again. My last bagless was the awful Fantom, and I often had to empty it once or even twice per room! Do modern bagless vacs have a little more capacity?

I know you said you want a bag less, but I have found the Miele vacuums to be one of the best around. We purchased a Miele canister vacuum in the fall and it is awesome! The first day I used it, my carpet looked whiter, that's how clean it got it. We have one cat.

My aunt has had a Miele for years. She has several dogs and 2 parrots. The birds make a huge mess, throwing their shells all over the place. The vacuum has no problem getting it all up, as well as all the dog hair.

All the tools are on-board. The vacuum bag holds a ton of dirt, I believe about 7 pounds. The bag has a filter and there is another hepa filter in the machine. It is a sealed unit so it does not spew out any dust, which is great for my family with our bad allergies.

Amazon is a great place to get reviews on the vacuums. We were originally going to buy a Dyson, but after reading the reviews, decided on the Miele.

I hope you find one you like.

I like our Wind Tunnels. The only bad part is that on both of them, there is a part that makes the brush spin that is plastic when you buy it, and that part broke early on both of them. I blame the Belgian Shepherd's long hair. DH ordered the replacement part in metal and they never had any more problems.

Everyone has posted about uprights.... anything to this? I thought with all hardwood/tile, that the canister vac would be better.

Granted, I think there are more uprights and bagged machines. I feel like I'm looking for a machine that is in the minority.

I have all hardwood but for area rugs in the foyer and living room. I use the Animal like a canister; the handle pops off, rigid tube pulls out of the hose, I put the floor attachment on and go to town. It has a 17' hose and just rolls along behind me. I use it as an upright on the rugs.

Everyone has posted about uprights.... anything to this? I thought with all hardwood/tile, that the canister vac would be better.

Granted, I think there are more uprights and bagged machines. I feel like I'm looking for a machine that is in the minority.

My mom has dogs and tile floors - she uses a small Shop-vac.

What a great thread! We're just now starting to finally consider getting a new vac! I'm super excited.

We spent the most we've ever spent on a vac a couple years ago for the Bissell Healthy Home vac and although it's nice, I have 2 dogs and it gets ALOT of the dog hair but it doesn't get it ALL out of the carpets!

http://www.bissell.com/healthy-home-vacuum/

So that is a vote of one NOT to get if you have pets that sheds!

I'm considering the Shark or Dyson!

You know, I really appreciate all this wonderful help...

I get kind of discouraged when I read reviews on Amazon. Take ANY vacuum: some give it 5 stars; some give it 1. Some rave on a vacuum's performance while others condemn the same machine.

A vacuum is an expensive purchase. With all the recommendations, it is still quite hard to make a decision.

I have all hardwood but for area rugs in the foyer and living room. I use the Animal like a canister; the handle pops off, rigid tube pulls out of the hose, I put the floor attachment on and go to town. It has a 17' hose and just rolls along behind me. I use it as an upright on the rugs.

Angela, the Dyson floor attatchment has red, plastic "spikes?" (can't think of a better word) around it. Do you have a problem with the spikes damaging your floors?

No help here. I just sat down a minute trying to put off for as long as possible the job I have to do next: go outside and empty my bagless vacuum. I.HATE.THAT.JOB!!! When I first got my bagless I was so excited. The first time I used it I thought it was sooo cool how you could see the canister filling up. Now.....it's just a big ole pain in the butt. Maybe some are easier to clean out that others. Mine is a stupid Bissell. See....I told you I'd be no help.

I got to go shopping today. The vacuum I liked the most was an Electrolux bagless canister. It was just the right size and had the tools I wanted. I was tempted to get it. It is only 10 amps (not 12) and doesn't seem to have the features that would make it built to handle pet hair. It cost $315 on sale... $350 regular price.

I'm inclined to look at the Miele vacuums even though they require bags. They are more expensive, but if you get what you pay for, I'm a bit nervous to think what I would be buying if I got something off a typical store shelf.

I want to see if I like the least expensive Miele. In the little bit of reading I did tonight, it seems like I would want the electric head, but it only comes on the higher level models. And, I do want something that will take care of the dog hair.

What Miele features are worth the money to have?

The Electrolux vacuums of today ar not like they used to be. I believe the company was sold and the quality went way down. My aunt, the one with the dogs and parrots, used to only have Electolux. Then the quality started to go way down, and she was replacing her vacuums all the time it seemed. She finally went with the Miele and has been very happy.

Yes, you would want the electric head, if you get the Miele. It works great at getting the dirt out of the carpet. I use it on the hard floors as well as the carpet, and even the sofas. It gets the cat hair out of the sofa very nicely. Also, I am too lazy to keep changing the head. All I have to do is press a button on the handle to turn off the beater brush when I move to the hard floor.

I also like that I can adjust the suction level, so if I want to vacuum the valances or throw rugs, the vacuum doesn't suck them in.

Also, anyone that has a beater brush on their vacuum, a sharp seam ripper works great to cut the hairs out. Just run it along the length and you can cut all the hair at one time. I have long, curly hair and it is all over the place, so it gets wrapped around the beater brush. I only learned this trick a few months before my Hoover Wind Tunnel died. I wish I had figured out this trick sooner because I always struggled with a scissor.

Edited by Sushi's Mom

We were looking at the Miele S514 Blue Star when we ended up buying the Dyson. According to the man at our local independent vacuum store that is the best value in the Miele line. It's the midsize canister. It comes with a power brush and I don't remember what else.

No help here. I just sat down a minute trying to put off for as long as possible the job I have to do next: go outside and empty my bagless vacuum. I.HATE.THAT.JOB!!! When I first got my bagless I was so excited. The first time I used it I thought it was sooo cool how you could see the canister filling up. Now.....it's just a big ole pain in the butt. Maybe some are easier to clean out that others. Mine is a stupid Bissell. See....I told you I'd be no help.

The Shark is really easy - you push a button and the bottom opens and the stuff dumps out. I do have to occasionally open the top and clean the dog hair out of there, but my 2 labs shed a TON and I think I get a dog's worth of hair every week!

We have 3 carpeted rooms and tile in the rest of the house. We used to have a Sears cannister and it was great. Worked well on both carpet and the floors. I wanted an upright and I wanted bagless when it was time to replace it. I've been sorry every since. When we replace the one we have now, I'm either going back to a cannister, or am going to pay the extra money for a decent upright.

Some of the reviews on the Shark said it doesn't do a good job on floors. I'm going to have to rethink it.

This isn't on your list, but we have had EXCELLENT results with the Shark Navigator Liftaway. We have 2 big labs and 2 cats - sometimes I feel like the animal hair will take over the house.

It works like the Dyson for a lot less money. It works as well on bare floors as it does carpet. It also has a pet hair attachment for the hose.

ETA: I don't have experience with the "long-lasting" part yet, but for the price (~$180) it is WAY cheaper than a Dyson!

I saw an informercial on this last night. Amazon has it and the reviews are good. I have a Dyson right now and I'm not thrilled with it. I may get one of these Sharks. I have 3 cats and a dog and I tell you, they shed enough fur to create another pet.

I did order this and it came today. My kids were fighting over using it:glare: It isn't the sturdiest vacuum I have seen *(but I have a commercial Sanitaire and a kirby) BUT we emptied the dust cup 4 times and all we did was 2 bedrooms, a hall and 2 entry mats. It did VERY well with the dog hair.

So far, so good.

If it continues to work this well, it will be well worth the cost. It is much lighter than the others we have so easier to use.

The link above is still active and for $125 I got the shark, the pet brush, longer crevice tool & bag along with free S&H.

I know this wasn't on your list but...I have a Roomba for pets that is great on tile/hardwood. I also have a small shop vac for the few places the Roomba can't get. We only have one dog, a lab mix, so not as much hair as some pps, but the undercoat shedding this time of year is crazy and the Roomba gets it all. I will say due to the high rate of mechanical failure with some Roomba models we chose to buy ours from Hammacher Schlemmer for the lifetime warranty. Our first one lasted 2 years and they replaced it with no problems. We have had this one for about a year.