Menu

So here's a new one with booking a seat for an infant...

I'm trying to book our flight back from Honolulu with dd and the baby. We want to book a seat for the baby and with TSA regulations, I can't book CR*P without the baby's birthdate. Of course, the baby isn't born yet, but I'm wanting to book early because we will have the dog, and dd wanted our seats all together.

WTH?!?

My dd is moving home. Her husband is getting deployed. We will be flying with the baby when he is about 3-4 weeks, and we have her small dog to bring as well, which is why I really want to get our flight booked early, but this is outrageous! I'm just stuck!

I don't want to get us in a situation where we can't fly. I'm considering calling TSA tomorrow. I tried them today, but they are closed.

ETA - they said the due date was invalid when I tried to use it.

And it dawned on me that he might not even have a birth certificate at all by the time we fly. What do we do about that?

My dd is moving home. Her husband is getting deployed. We will be flying with the baby when he is about 3-4 weeks, and we have her small dog to bring as well, which is why I really want to get our flight booked early, but this is outrageous! I'm just stuck!

I'm sorry--- that is tough situation! Hope you find some resolution!

astrid

Do you need the birth certificate to fly? We've never shown a birth certificate for any of our kids. Last Sept. my son was a lap baby and we didn't even need one then (he was only 2 months old).

Heck you could use yesterday's date and they'd never know. I'm sure you just can't book using a birth date in the future.

Yeah, I'd call and talk to a live person. The birthdate thing is new (I think the positive purpose is to help better identify who is on the "do not fly" list rather than JUST by name).

I hate to mention this, but be aware that a CSR might make a comment about what you'll do if you end up not needing the infant's seat. If the seat is non-refundable, and something so horrible I don't even want to type it happens, you'll still be paying for that seat.

And it dawned on me that he might not even have a birth certificate at all by the time we fly. What do we do about that?

Yeah...you know those Hawaii birth certficates..... but maybe he'll have a certificate of live birth? :lol:

Sorry! Not making light of your plight, just couldn't resist! Hopefully you'll get a live body on the phone tomorrow from TSA who can straighten it all out.

astrid

If they need a date in order to book the seat, can't you just give them any date - like yesterday's - and then change the info when you know the actual date? It's probably just a box in their data entry which must be filled in order to reserve the seat. The date itself probably isn't crucial for a newborn.

I don't think she'll be able to change the birthdate. But you could book everything but the baby's seat. Once the baby is born book the seat. I'm sure they'll move you around. If the plane is booked, doubtful, you can hold the wee one. :)

Well, DUH! What the heck did you expect?

Do you really think Homeland Security is going to allow the issue of airline tickets for people who aren't even born yet? What a fabulous loophole THAT would be for any would-be terrorists!!

I can't believe that with today's incredibly scrutinous flying regulations you ever thought you could get away with that.

I'm wondering if you can just book two seats for yourself, as I know some adults need to do that.

I would try this, and I've never needed a birth certificate, but if it eases your mind, you could ask the nurses at the hospital to make a copy of the application, or whatever it is, that she'll fill out there. Or they could copy the hospital "certificate" with the little footprints on it.;)

If you have a seat for the baby you don't need a birth certificate that is only to prove the age of a lap child is under 2

ETA: I know because I flew with my dd who is adopted when she was 2 weeks and not a problem not to mention we didn't get a birth certificate until she was almost 18 months old and flew a couple of times in between.

We just flew with my grandson and we didn't book him a seat and they would not give us dd's ticket without a birth certificate or immunization record from birth. We had neither of these and didn't know if we'd get on the airplane. My daughter handed them an entire folder with her hospital records for her and the baby when he was born. One nice lady accepted it. When we were going to come home, we were stuck standing for the longest time because the very same airline would not accept it. We told them the certificate had not come and that the baby didn't have an immunization record yet and that we had flown just a few days ago. They were not at all happy. They did finally let us get out tickets and come home. I think it had more to do with they don't want someone taking a baby anywhere if the baby is not theirs (kidnapped). We did all we could and we were able to fly, but it was sure difficult! They really did not want to let us fly home....

this is NOT their regulation, certainly not where infants are concerned. He said children under 18 aren't even required to show any form of identification anyway.

He said the concerns of TSA are from the moment you get to that security gate until you leave that security gate. Period.

I called Alaskan Airlines though, and they said they could not book the flight without a birth date either.

I called a local travel agency and we got the tickets booked. She is just going to change his birthdate after he is born. We have 3 seats together on the plane.

I also got a flight for the dog straight from Honolulu to BR (with a stop in Houston of course), 2 days before we fly out so oldest dd can pick her up and get her squared away here at home. At least we don't have that to worry with in addition to flying with a 3 week-old!

Whew - now to stress over the flying in general. :tongue_smilie: