Menu

what happened to the quality of yankee candles?

I just googled this to make sure it's not just me thinks this, and I'm not alone. Yankee Candles just don't smell of much anymore. I used to buy so many (I have 30+ in garage:001_huh:), but the last few years, maybe since the labels changed, there is really no scent from them when lit. I was starting to think my stockist had got them off the back of a truck.:lol:

Anyone else notice this? I'm looking at the new fragrances for autumn and I want them but I think I'll be disappointed if I get them. Lets hope they have the room sprays in the fragrances I want....

You are not the only one. When we moved here my mom had a ton that she had bought over the years and never lit. She just liked how the colors looked throughout the house. They were awesome. Some of these things were over five years old too. When we went to the yankee store I was like oh, I will buy some more as I had been using the ones mom left me like crazy.

The ones I bought new were junk. They were great at first light then just kind of went away. I don't get it either except to say they have no problem charging but they must have a quality issue nowadays. Maybe it is the economy. I won't buy them anymore.

We noticed this too. We switched to Circle E candles. They're a bit cheaper (not by much though) than Yankee and the quality is a lot better. And, they're a local, family-owned business for us so I feel good about supporting them instead of a huge company. Here is their website - they ship nationwide. :)

I think they lose their smell if they're stored for too long. I won't buy ahead - even if it's on sale, last year's Christmas candles won't smell much by this Christmas.

I have a Christmas Wreath candle from at least 4 years ago. It's stored with our holiday stuff in the basement and we drag it out every year...it smells great. I haven't noticed any loss in scent. I wonder if the new ones' scents would last like this one.

I think they lose their smell if they're stored for too long. I won't buy ahead - even if it's on sale, last year's Christmas candles won't smell much by this Christmas.

With the older candles I have had no problem. My mom had bunches for every holiday in every room to match the colors. They were pretty old never used. They were eonderful. The newer ones I bought were just junk :001_huh:

I buy mine from Bath & Body Works now. They smell heavenly and the scent doesn't fade. I recommend the "Creamy Nutmeg"....people never fail to tell me how good my house smells when I burn that candle or use the Wallflower.

Edited by DianeW88

I buy mine from Bath & Body Works now. They smell heavenly and the scent doesn't fade. I recommend the "Creamy Nutmeg"....people never fail to tell me how good my house smells when I burn that candle or use the Wallflower.

Creamy Nutmeg is my favorite!!

My local Bath & Bodyworks is out of them right now and won't have any more in stock until October - waaaah!!!

I thought it was just me, too. I used to be able to use 3 tealights per tart, and then a year or so ago, it went down to 2 tealights, and the last 2 batches of tarts I've bought have been really awful. The smell is barely there for even 1 tealight. Since I know it's not just me, I'll probably stop buying them. :sad: What a bummer. YC was always my favorite.

If they are less stinky now I'll be happy. I can't stand the over-powering stench of those Yankee candles.

Bill

:svengo: Say it isn't so!:D

We went scent-free several years ago, but I still miss lighting YC in the autumn and at Christmas. The Macintosh apple candle...like living in an orchard.:001_smile: Oh, and pumpkin...divine!

Our previous home had a great room with 25' ceilings so the scent was never overwhelming.

The only one I couldn't tolerate was the lilac candle. I love lilacs, but that candle gave me an instant and long-lasting headache.

:svengo: Say it isn't so!:D

We went scent-free several years ago, but I still miss lighting YC in the autumn and at Christmas. The Macintosh apple candle...like living in an orchard.:001_smile: Oh, and pumpkin...divine!

Our previous home had a great room with 25' ceilings so the scent was never overwhelming.

The only one I couldn't tolerate was the lilac candle. I love lilacs, but that candle gave me an instant and long-lasting headache.

Can't stand 'em. They all give me a head-ache and the scents are so kitschy middle-American :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

So, I'm glad I started this thread and had my thoughts confirmed. Can anyone tell me about Kringle Candles?

I was just coming on here to post about Kringle, lol. The son of the founder of YC started his own candle business - Kringle Candles, with his dad's help (he sold YC a couple of years ago) and Kringle looks amazing. When I'm out of my YC tarts, I'm going to order some Kringle and give them a try.

I've pretty much switched entirely from candles to Lampe Berger. (pronounced Laump Bearjhay) They're made in France and come in lots of beautiful designs. We have several, as the kids and I are addicted. Sweet Pear is our favorite scent, but we've used others around the holidays. We even have one sitting in the middle of our school room table. One of the kids will light it before everyone even sits down.;)

I was just coming on here to post about Kringle, lol. The son of the founder of YC started his own candle business - Kringle Candles, with his dad's help (he sold YC a couple of years ago) and Kringle looks amazing. When I'm out of my YC tarts, I'm going to order some Kringle and give them a try.

I ordered 3 Kringle Candles and they should be here today or tomorrow:D

I will update on how well they throw the scent, but the UK facebook page has very positive reviews already and they only started delivering here this week. AND, all the users are former YC fans.

I thought it was me. I have some that smell up my house nicely! I just bought two because they were on sale. Not only did they not do the sale price and it's too far to go back to return or get the sale price, but they have absolutely no smell. And for the price...........Um....crazy. I won't buy them anymore.

Actually, the last two I bought were VERY strong. The Midnight Jasmine is wonderful and the Christmas Tree is so strong that I have to blow it out when it gets too overpowering. My YC store stays busy, so I'd imagine they don't sit in the store too long.

I got a patchouli that I LOVED this year, but I think they discontinued it :-(

KungfuPanda

I can't stand the over-powering stench of those Yankee candles.

I have to agree. If I'm in a house where they're being used, I find the smell completely overpowering. (Even smelling the unlit ones makes my eyes water.)

However, for all the YC fans, I'd suggest writing the company directly. They would probably appreciate feedback & comments, esp. if it is related to the fact that they are losing customers.

• 2 years later...
Guest GreatProfessor321

Yankee Candle used to be my favorite, but Diamond Candles has now passed them.  They have more creative scents and they are soy-based (i.e. natural).  There is also the cool novelty of each one containing a ring worth anywhere from $10 to $10,000 inside.