Menu

Can't stop crying -- Marine OCS related too

Ugh. After the thing with Ben tonight, and then dealing with daily breakdowns over our eldest at Marine OCS, I feel like I'm unstable. :tongue_smilie:

I totally don't remember my parents being this stressed out, but I guess they were.

Dh and I are literally losing sleep over our eldest who just started week four at OCS. I cry numerous times a day. He has done great at parts (became a mentor to a 26 year old) and did really well on his navigation test. He failed a leadership test and another one. He was on probation his first liberty -- I don't remember what for -- probably failing the leadership test.

He got pink eye from the Quiggly pond thing, and he was coughing like crazy when he called this past weekend during liberty.

Thankfully, his girlfriend buzzed up there for a while and boosted his spirits. She's going up there again this weekend, and we will drive up and spend a couple of hours on Saturday with him.

It's all so intense, and I just don't feel ready to be a mom of someone going through all that.

:grouphug:

I think of you a lot these days. I know your husband's Army, but still you and your family enter my thoughts a lot.

I've been watching videos of some of the things the guys go through because I really do want to know what he's encountering. I bawl like a baby, but it's not war, so it's doable (if you know what I mean).

I just want him to stay encouraged and keep fighting for it.

Hugs to you. The Marines are HARD. They're hard for a reason though. We live on a Army post, but there are several Marines stationed here and we know many of them (all have gone through OCS too). They are great guys.

My dad is retired Navy. He was a medic who went in the field with Marines a lot when he was young. He says they are so good at what they do because their schools are so strict and rigid.

My cousin was a Marine. It completely changed him (for the better, trust me). Unfortunately he got injured (not in the wars, this was pre-war) and got medically chaptered out. He went back to his wild ways and sadly was killed in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. Had he been allowed to stay in the Marines, I think he might still be alive today. He was so proud of himself and so proud to be a Marine. He worked hard because he didn't want to do anything to screw up his military career and bring "shame" on the name of the Marines.

Dh considered the Marines, but they didn't offer enough in the career field he was interested in. He looked at the other branches too, but decided to go Army, where he could advance rapidly (he's an awesome soldier), go from enlisted to warrant officer and get an incredible amount of experience that will lead to a good job when he retires.

I always find it interesting that people are IN the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard, but not IN the Marines. They ARE Marines.

On a funny side note, my dad came over for Christmas 2 years ago and a couple of our friends were over for a get together. I introduced my dad to one of our Marine friends and they got to talking. Of course they were disparaging the Army (in good humor, of course). The Marine looked at my dad and said "You know, I bet if we called [another Marine friend], the 3 of us could get together and take over this entire base." My dad laughed and agreed.

:grouphug: (((Dawn))), I lived the military life for 11 yrs. w/ dh & other immediate family members were Air Force (in Viet Nam) and Navy. I feel a lot of empathy for you. I don't know the specific hardships of Marine OCS, but if it doesn't creep you out for a complete stranger to pray for your son, I'm more than happy to tag him onto my prayers. And you.

For what it's worth, he may be doing better on a daily basis than it sounds when he's on the phone with you. I know when I was at the Naval Academy, phone calls home were a moment when I could be emotionally unguarded. That tended to come out as a whole lot of stress and tears. All the stuff that I was holding in during the day came out in one couple minute phone call. I'm sure it was quite intense for my parents.

I remember calling my mom at one point later in the year. I proceeded to cry because I didn't know if I should pick English or History as my major. (???) I wasn't really upset. There was just so much stress to do everything just right.

I hope he does well this week and the remaining weeks.

Dawn, I've been thinking about Aaron all week :grouphug: I'll bet he's dumping on you emotionally (in a healthy way, of course) because you are his support system, the people he can unconditionally count on during the chaos of OCS.

You are a strong woman who raised a strong man.

Ugh. After the thing with Ben tonight, and then dealing with daily breakdowns over our eldest at Marine OCS, I feel like I'm unstable. :tongue_smilie:

I totally don't remember my parents being this stressed out, but I guess they were.

Dh and I are literally losing sleep over our eldest who just started week four at OCS. I cry numerous times a day. He has done great at parts (became a mentor to a 26 year old) and did really well on his navigation test. He failed a leadership test and another one. He was on probation his first liberty -- I don't remember what for -- probably failing the leadership test.

He got pink eye from the Quiggly pond thing, and he was coughing like crazy when he called this past weekend during liberty.

Thankfully, his girlfriend buzzed up there for a while and boosted his spirits. She's going up there again this weekend, and we will drive up and spend a couple of hours on Saturday with him.

It's all so intense, and I just don't feel ready to be a mom of someone going through all that.

:grouphug: I think about you guys often! You're all in my prayers!

Aaron can do it!

Hugs to you. The Marines are HARD. They're hard for a reason though. We live on a Army post, but there are several Marines stationed here and we know many of them (all have gone through OCS too). They are great guys.

My dad is retired Navy. He was a medic who went in the field with Marines a lot when he was young. He says they are so good at what they do because their schools are so strict and rigid.

My cousin was a Marine. It completely changed him (for the better, trust me). Unfortunately he got injured (not in the wars, this was pre-war) and got medically chaptered out. He went back to his wild ways and sadly was killed in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. Had he been allowed to stay in the Marines, I think he might still be alive today. He was so proud of himself and so proud to be a Marine. He worked hard because he didn't want to do anything to screw up his military career and bring "shame" on the name of the Marines.

Dh considered the Marines, but they didn't offer enough in the career field he was interested in. He looked at the other branches too, but decided to go Army, where he could advance rapidly (he's an awesome soldier), go from enlisted to warrant officer and get an incredible amount of experience that will lead to a good job when he retires.

I always find it interesting that people are IN the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard, but not IN the Marines. They ARE Marines.

On a funny side note, my dad came over for Christmas 2 years ago and a couple of our friends were over for a get together. I introduced my dad to one of our Marine friends and they got to talking. Of course they were disparaging the Army (in good humor, of course). The Marine looked at my dad and said "You know, I bet if we called [another Marine friend], the 3 of us could get together and take over this entire base." My dad laughed and agreed.

:lol: So funny! This made my morning!

How much does he have left of OCS? I bet he is doing better than you think. They are trying to "break" him, it gets better. Just tell him to hang tight there and survive it. We had a young friend that quit 1 week from the end! Poor guy, if only he could have gutted it out a bit longer. The pride (in a good way) he'll have in himself when he is done will be amazing! There is nothing like the Marines!

My hubby is a former Marine. Like everyone has already mentioned, life in the USMC isn't a piece of cake. That being said if our son were to join any branch of military I would hope it would be the Marines. I would feel like he was safer and better trained. I was sure glad when hubby got out though. :grouphug:

I had no idea, Nestof3, that you had kids that old!

I do remember when I was in my 20's, I went to a martial arts intense training camp. When I called my mom, she kept saying 'why don't you quit?', and my thoughts were always "no, it's not that tough, I just need to vent". Honestly, I had never even considered quitting, and not even after my mom mentioned it. It *was* hard, to the point of throwing up from exertion, but it was also great!

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I can see her point of view, but I also know that the child is stronger than what the child tells mom. Hang in there. He can pull through, he will survive and come out a better man!

I'm a former Marine. Tell your son to just hang in there. I spent my ENTIRE three months of bootcamp in trouble because I could not do two things correctly despite my best attempts. Perseverance is 1/2 the battle. If he can just stick with it, making it chow-to-chow until he gets out, he'll be fine. I'll be watching for updates and hope that things will improve for him!