Menu

The things I forgot to teach as a Mom ...

I realized a short while ago that I had forgotten to teach something very valuable - how to lace your shoes. I have taught them how to read and to write, and they know basic geography, yaddah yaddah.

Although I taught them to tie their shoes, I forgot to teach how to lace them. I have a 10yo that cannot put shoe strings in her shoes! LOL:lol:

What have you forgotten?

I didn't tell my ds how to get off a bus.

My high school ds was taking courses at the community college and needed to ride the bus from there to close to home, where I would pick him up. No problem. He had his bus pass and knew how to use it, knew where to get the bus at the cc, knew which bus to take, its route, where he should get off to meet me.

Silly me, I forgot to tell him how to communicate to the driver that he wanted to get off at the bus stop. The first words he said to me as he got into the car were "Mom, you never told me how to get off the bus!". Fortunately he had realized he didn't know how to get off and paid attention to what other riders were doing, pulling the chain to ring the bell. It all worked out just fine. He got off at the right stop. but he did make sure that his brother and sister knew how to get off a bus when they wanted off, just in case they ever needed to do so.

I forgot to teach my older kiddos how to make a collect call if needed. My dss 19 walked almost 20 miles home one night because he didn't know he could find a pay phone and make a collect call and he didn't have any change and his cell phone was dead.

I forgot to teach my older kiddos how to make a collect call if needed. My dss 19 walked almost 20 miles home one night because he didn't know he could find a pay phone and make a collect call and he didn't have any change and his cell phone was dead.

Oh WOW! I haven't done that in so long I don't think I would have thought of it either.

My kids don't know how to lace shoes either.

Apparently I didn't let my kids know that parasites exist in humans. My dd had pinworms and didn't tell me for a while because she thought she was dying. Poor thing!

I like this one...I hope it gets a lot of responses so I can learn from others!

Just today I realized that my two oldest 10 and 12 did not know how to go through a barbed wire fence....this is VERY important for where we live. VERY.....it was fun teaching them though.

Oh yeah and me in all my 39 week glory teaching them....probably could have won awards of some sort. Even my son was like..."mom"...don't think this is a good idea.....

I like this one...I hope it gets a lot of responses so I can learn from others!

Just today I realized that my two oldest 10 and 12 did not know how to go through a barbed wire fence....this is VERY important for where we live. VERY.....it was fun teaching them though.

Oh yeah and me in all my 39 week glory teaching them....probably could have won awards of some sort. Even my son was like..."mom"...don't think this is a good idea.....

How do you go through a barbed wire fence?

How do you go through a barbed wire fence?

lol....you made me laugh, which I needed!!

I will tell you, even if you are joking, just in case you need to know someday....for your safety...lol.

You find the biggest opening between two wires....sometimes you have to walk a bit to do this. You grab the bottom of the two with the biggest gap (between the barbs...this is very important) and push down as far as you can. You then bend forward and put one leg through until it is touching on the other side (sometimes you will have to be on tippy toes dependingon the heighth) then as you are bent forward you careful manuever you torso, body through slowly. You do this slowly in case you get caught up then you can go back or get unhooked without ripping clothes or flesh. When your whole body, torso, head area is through then you bring you other leg over...all the while holding down with one hand the bottom wire. After other leg through...let go.

there:lol::lol:

e

I was staying with my parents for a few days while I had a gig speaking at an educational event (telling other people how to educate their dc, mind you.) My then-7-yo looked at my mother's pill case and asked why two of the compartments had T's on them and two had S's. :001_huh: She explained that they were for Saturday/Sunday and Tuesday/Thursday. Ds looked confused. Yep, my 7 yo didn't know the days of the week. :lol: He knew how to do long division and could tell you the plot of the Odyssey, but he didn't know the days of the week in order. Thankfully, my mom is okay with homeschooling. :D

We also realized that he can't pick out his own clothes (his sisters do it for him, because he is spoiled.) Dh told him to get dressed one day when dds and I were gone at a conference, and he asked dh to get his clothes out. Dh put his foot down and ds came down in a long sleeve t-shirt two sizes too small (don't even know where he got that) and swim trunks (that he claimed were shorts.) :lol:

Ds went to college and didn't write his name on his homework :)

So......dd puts her name on.every.single.assignment, even in the workbooks!

Haha...I need to tell my dd that this DOES happen! I have been trying to beat into her brain the importance of putting her name on her work! (and this is a child who was public schooled for 7 years!!! :confused: )

Apparently I have neglected to teach my children that the tp roll goes OVER not under... There are days that it appears that I have forgotten to teach them how to put the tp ON the roll...

I joke with DH that I'm the only person in the house that knows how to change a roll of TP and they'd be in real trouble if anything happens to me. :001_smile:

lol....you made me laugh, which I needed!!

I will tell you, even if you are joking, just in case you need to know someday....for your safety...lol.

You find the biggest opening between two wires....sometimes you have to walk a bit to do this. You grab the bottom of the two with the biggest gap (between the barbs...this is very important) and push down as far as you can. You then bend forward and put one leg through until it is touching on the other side (sometimes you will have to be on tippy toes dependingon the heighth) then as you are bent forward you careful manuever you torso, body through slowly. You do this slowly in case you get caught up then you can go back or get unhooked without ripping clothes or flesh. When your whole body, torso, head area is through then you bring you other leg over...all the while holding down with one hand the bottom wire. After other leg through...let go.

there:lol::lol:

e

I was not joking, but am glad to know and I am also glad I gave you a chuckle! :D

How about the fact that you must dial a "1" before the area code when calling long distance from a land-line or pay phone? A missionary friend of mine forgot to tell her son that when she took him to college, and then she waited for a call from him for a whole month before she called him to find out he couldn't call her. (She didn't want him to feel she was hovering! :lol: )

I apparently have forgotten to tell DS not to come outside in his birthday suit to ask where another bar of soap was for his shower. Quite embarrassing as DH and I were talking to the BRAND NEW neighbors who had just moved in :leaving:.

DS still doesn't understand what all the fuss was about. :svengo:

I forgot to teach my dcs how to open a milk carton. You know, the ones you get in a cafeteria? Went to a trip where we stayed in a dorm and had milk cartons for supper. My dcs destroyed the poor things. My oldest ds pointed out we forgot that one along the way!

Also, my dcs cannot line up to save their lives. I even try by saying, "Line up." We end up with a mass of bodies 6 wide. Just doesn't work.