Menu

If you're out of shape and just starting an exercise program...

If you're (very) out of shape and just starting an exercise program, how do you handle being totally exhausted and sore? Do you keep plowing on with the exercise, or do you take time off?

I went to yoga class on Monday (easy class, challenging for me but do-able), and then went on Wednesday (next level of difficulty, couldn't finish the class and got very sore afterwards). Should I go to another easy class today?

I'm on a 1200-calorie a day diet, so that's probably contributing to my misery. I'm also taking the dog on two long walks each day. If I were to "listen to my body," it would tell me to go to bed and not come out for several days!

I'm not new to exercise. But I get sore when I start a new routine/exercise type/different classes. I just keep going. Typically, I'm only sore a couple of days. I would suggest going to the class and keeping your body moving. You may have to reduce your holding time in a pose, but keep working and your body will adjust.

Whenever I take time off from exercising I always have to push myself through the first week or two. If it's just muscle soreness from the activity I find that being more active helps. If I've actually injured a muscle then it needs to rest.

If you're (very) out of shape and just starting an exercise program, how do you handle being totally exhausted and sore? Do you keep plowing on with the exercise, or do you take time off?

I went to yoga class on Monday (easy class, challenging for me but do-able), and then went on Wednesday (next level of difficulty, couldn't finish the class and got very sore afterwards). Should I go to another easy class today?

I'm on a 1200-calorie a day diet, so that's probably contributing to my misery. I'm also taking the dog on two long walks each day. If I were to "listen to my body," it would tell me to go to bed and not come out for several days!

I would personally only go to easy classes with at least a day of rest between them. Once the easy class is easy for you, move up to the next level. Eventually you'll be able to do the exercises daily. On your off days, obviously continue to walk the dogs, and increase your activity as you can.

I would personally only go to easy classes with at least a day of rest between them. Once the easy class is easy for you, move up to the next level. Eventually you'll be able to do the exercises daily. On your off days, obviously continue to walk the dogs, and increase your activity as you can.

:iagree:

And 1200 calories? I couldn't have been successful with that little amount. I did my best weight loss when I ate an appropriate amount to lose about 1-2 lbs per week AND ate my exercise calories (ie, anything I burned extra via exercise, I got to eat extra). I wasn't hungry all the time, and I lost weight at a very reasonable pace. I can't imagine only eating 1200 calories ever, especially while exercising. I think my body would go into starvation mode.

Muscle soreness appears the day after and peaks the second day after exercise. You DO have to listen to your body though, to discern whether you have strained a muscle or it's just general soreness. If it's general soreness, keep going. It actually helps loosen everything up. If it's a strain, do something else that doesn't involve that muscle group (says the trainer who is lifting today with an angry groin muscle).

As for the diet, I'd recommend going to FitDay.com or something similar, plugging in your current stats and goals, and following that. The program will tell you if your goals are unhealthy.

The problem is that you're not going to lose anything if you restrict calories that much and work out. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto whatever it can. That means it's storing and not interested in muscle repair/building; it's operating constantly in emergency mode and that kind of stress can wreak all sorts of havoc.

I just started exercising for the first time in a very long time. I am trying to start out by doing a light to moderate workout every day. On days I'm very sore I do some yoga/stretching and something like tai chi or swimming. On days I'm not sore I still start with yoga/stretching but do more vigorous activities like stepping or a dance workout. I use the Wii for the vast majority of my workouts, although the pool is taking more of a role as the weather improves.

I'm old and very out of shape. Not just extra weight but sore bones and muscles, no flexibility, no endurance, knee problems, breathing issues - so I really want to avoid over doing things and getting hurt.

I'm doing Weight Watchers so I don't know exactly how many calories I get but I have been losing 2 pounds a week since I started without feeling deprived or hungry.

I would keep going.

However, I would stay at the easy level for a week before bumping it up. And do each level at least a week before bumping it up. My Crazy House is so right about muscle soreness peaking a day or two after. If you bump it up too soon, you get a double whammy.

It is also important to make sure you stretch, drink enough water and eat enough (and of the right things) for the muscles to recover.

If I get sore, and sit around til it feels better, I just get sore again the next time (BTDT.) If I want to stop getting sore, I have to be consistent.

For soreness, can you take some ibuprofen? I consider that when I'm sore and it's time to work out again.

The 1200 calories might be making things harder for you. Maybe even 1500 calories would be better? I've found that if I don't eat enough, my workouts become death marches ;) For me, the fitness provided by the exercise trumps weight loss, though. YMMV I like Sparkpeople well enough for tracking food intake.

Best of luck!

You need to do cool down exercises for about 5 minutes to prevent the acid build up in the muscles which causes the pain.

Also you may need more than one day between workouts. I've found that I need two days between runs or my legs are just still to tired to carry me through the entire workout.

And you are building muscle. You need protein in your diet to ensure that your muscles have the necessary raw material to function properly.

As for the diet, I'd recommend going to FitDay.com or something similar, plugging in your current stats and goals, and following that. The program will tell you if your goals are unhealthy.

:iagree:

I have FitDay PC. I haven't used it in a while, but it's great. WAY better than spark people (You can add your own recipes & enter your own quantities more easily.).

I have begun walking with a little jogging after almost four years of inactivity. I would say with a little soreness and tiredness, push through. I think it's just as important to build the discipline of getting started that day. Good for you! Keep going, it feels good to be building a habit of sweating and doing something good for my health.

By the way, I disagree that 1200 calories is necessarily too little. On my "good" days (i.e., when I don't overeat), I eat about 1000 calories a day, or less. And this isn't to lose weight -- I plan to eat this way (generally speaking, overall) for the rest of my life. I think "starvation mode" is something of a <cough>myth<cough> (article based on research here, for one example). YES, our metabolism adjusts a bit if we eat fewer calories, but not enough to prevent weight/fat loss in the long run. Not if we make a lifestyle change that includes eating less and moving more. If you are building muscle through exercise, that helps combat the metabolic adjustment. Also make sure to get enough protein on your diet so that your body, when looking for fuel, isn't targeting muscle for the protein it would provide. Your body will also look for and use glucose for energy, which can be found in fat. I know I might get flamed for this, and I do know there is something to the science behind "starvation mode," but I also think some of the truths about the science have gotten embellished quite a bit over the years ("you won't lose fat/weight"). In summary, I'm saying if you can eat fewer calories as a lifestyle choice (not as a diet for a short period of time), and you eat nutrient dense calories when you do eat, and you regularly exercise, you WILL lose weight (if needed) and you WILL be healthier.

Edited by milovaný

Update: I went to the easy level yoga class yesterday afternoon. I was cringing beforehand with fear. However, it was a pleasant class and not too hard. The stretches made my sore muscles relax. I took some aspirin before I left home, and that probably helped, too.

I think an easy class every other day for another week or two will be just right. After that I can work up to the next level.

Thanks!!

You shouldn't be totally exhausted. You're doing too much. Depending on your age, you have to take a break and let your muscles recoup.

Were you sore after the easy class? You said you could do it but it was challenging. You shouldn't up the class to more difficulty until that easy has been physically mastered and you feel you're not getting anything out of it. In addition to two long walks and not enough food, you need to start slow. Keep the easy class for a while.

Start slow--20 minutes per day for the first week (I'm not kidding). Then add 10 minutes each week. I'd go back to the easy class for now and stay in it until it is no longer challenging.

Also, I find that if I stretch beforehand, I have much less soreness.

Finally, Advil works wonders on sore muscles.

Muscle soreness appears the day after and peaks the second day after exercise. You DO have to listen to your body though, to discern whether you have strained a muscle or it's just general soreness. If it's general soreness, keep going. It actually helps loosen everything up. If it's a strain, do something else that doesn't involve that muscle group (says the trainer who is lifting today with an angry groin muscle).

The problem is that you're not going to lose anything if you restrict calories that much and work out. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto whatever it can. That means it's storing and not interested in muscle repair/building; it's operating constantly in emergency mode and that kind of stress can wreak all sorts of havoc.

Not to hi-jack, but I struggle as the OP does. I did a 20 minute work out, low intensity, but ton's of squats while doing other exercises. It took a full week before I could move my legs without cringing. So I didn't exercise. I didn't sit around, I kept up normal activity but I didn't work out again. The morning after the workout I was a little sore so I did a few squats hoping to work out the muscles. Ibuprophen didn't touch the pain, neither did tylenol. What did I do wrong? I thought I was taking it slow and didn't feel any pain or uncomfortable-ness (?) while working out. This is why I don't exercise. I'd like to get into a routine though. It's just exhausting to have my muscles hurting all the time; it seems they never get used to it.

For at least the first few weeks, I think the most important thing is establishing a habit rather than how hard you exercise. So I wouldn't hesitate to go light the first few weeks. It's all about showing up.

Ditto.

Your body will get used to it. I am not sure if anyone has recommended Fitness Pal app for tracking calories consumed and used.

1200 sounds low and like a headache waiting to happen.

I am working out with a friend who is in the same predicament as you. Just do it to the best of your ability, even if it's ugly. It just has to get done.