Menu

For anyone with an older kid who can't ride a bike

Check out the method on this site. My DD1 just finally learned how to ride a bike without training wheels today- at 7 years old. Just a few weeks ago she was tipping over with training wheels and I was despairing of ever teaching her- we'd been trying for the last 3 years! Doing it this way it took 3 practice sessions!

She did it, tonight. She's so proud and so are we! Best thing about it- because of the way it progressed there was no catastrophic falling or anything!

I'm so proud.

Hopefully this helps someone else!

• Thanks 1

I tell everyone I know about this. Training wheels make it harder to learn how to ride a bike!

It also helps to learn how to ride a 2-wheeled scooter, like a razor. It's a less intimidating way to balance on 2 wheels.

Yay for your daughter!!! :D

We used this when my daughter was three, and it was so awesome! People always complimented her on how well she rode; they were shocked whrn we said she never used training wheels! We've taught a few kids at co-op with this method, and it's so exciting to see them take off! I told a family at the park about it tis weekend - as the dad struggled to run behind an older kid riding in the grass w/o training wheels for the 1st time and the mom dealt with two 4-y-olds crying as they struggled with their training wheels. THAT family bike ride looked like a lot of fun. :001_huh: The dad looked at me like I was crazy when I expained the push bije idea, so I don't think they'll be trying it!

Yay for your daughter!!! :D

We used this when my daughter was three, and it was so awesome! People always complimented her on how well she rode; they were shocked whrn we said she never used training wheels! We've taught a few kids at co-op with this method, and it's so exciting to see them take off! I told a family at the park about it tis weekend - as the dad struggled to run behind an older kid riding in the grass w/o training wheels for the 1st time and the mom dealt with two 4-y-olds crying as they struggled with their training wheels. THAT family bike ride looked like a lot of fun. :001_huh: The dad looked at me like I was crazy when I expained the push bije idea, so I don't think they'll be trying it!

So glad it worked for you, too. We didn't buy a push bike- just had her use hers without the pedals until today.

We have a balance bike for our kids with the hopes they'll figure out how to balance before we add in pedaling. My 3yo really seems to get it. My 5yo, not so much. But she's the give-up-if-it's-too-hard type and he's the you-can't-tell-me-I-can't kid. :lol:

My ds is 11 and can't ride a bike, and I don't think he is really bothered about it.

I'm 33 and can't ride a bike. My dad is 60 and he can't ride a bike.

Ummm...I see a family trend here.

Well, if you want to learn- the linked method is completely painless. It's not a necessary life skill or anything, but it's fun.

Quite independently of any "method," this is how dd taught herself to ride at about age 9, after many frustrating attempts with training wheels, running alongside, etc. The new neighbors had a bike that fit a much shorter child, and a sloping driveway. It was only with both feet planted firmly on the ground that dd felt safe enough to explore balance. Who'd have thunk.

I agree - no actual push bike needed. Those things are crazy expensive! We used a 12" freebie from the dump with my husband's banana seat from 1976 and took the pedals off.

For my 2-3 year old, the balance bike is worth it. Its lighter weight and easier for him to handle. He STILL can't handle the weight of the real bike -- we were going to have him try that this summer. But its too heavy.

How have I never seen this before? I did so many searches in the past on teaching a s/n kid to ride a bike, and never came up with anything other than a really expensive bike with a fat front wheel that needed expensive training to go along with it. I guess I just stopped looking after a while... Thanks for the links and ideas! I really think ds could finally learn to ride.:hurray:

How have I never seen this before? I did so many searches in the past on teaching a s/n kid to ride a bike, and never came up with anything other than a really expensive bike with a fat front wheel that needed expensive training to go along with it. I guess I just stopped looking after a while... Thanks for the links and ideas! I really think ds could finally learn to ride.:hurray:

For my DD the videos of other people doing it and be successful really helped.

I hope your son rides soon!

My ds is 11 and can't ride a bike, and I don't think he is really bothered about it.

I'm 33 and can't ride a bike. My dad is 60 and he can't ride a bike.

Ummm...I see a family trend here.

Dd is 16. Everyone else in the family rides, but she just has never had any interest in it. But she is learning to drive a car. :eek:

My dd7 still can't ride a bike. Last time we tried to teach here she fell off and hurt her arm badly, so I think she is too scared to try again. :sad: Maybe this method will work better for her. Thanks!

ElaineJ

My dd7 still can't ride a bike. Last time we tried to teach here she fell off and hurt her arm badly, so I think she is too scared to try again. :sad: Maybe this method will work better for her. Thanks!

ElaineJ

My DD was really apprehensive, too- but keeping your feet so close to the ground makes falling really hard to do. We also did most of the practice in our yard and being on the grass made her more confident.

The little bikes without pedals are popular in Europe for little kids. After watching this video, now I know why! I wanted to buy my DD one when we were over there, but I always thought they were for little, little kids (like 2 or 3, lol).

We tried this with dd, taking the pedals off her bike. And then one day, she went around the block with grandma, and a neighbor saw her and offered to "fix" her bike, and grandma let him--put pedals back on!!! I don't where he got pedals of his own to install, but it was so embarrassing...he thought we were making dd ride a broken bike.

I need to find the site I was looking at that sold these for older kids/adults so I can get her a spiffy new one that doesn't come with pedals in the first place. :tongue_smilie:

We tried this with dd, taking the pedals off her bike. And then one day, she went around the block with grandma, and a neighbor saw her and offered to "fix" her bike, and grandma let him--put pedals back on!!! I don't where he got pedals of his own to install, but it was so embarrassing...he thought we were making dd ride a broken bike.

I need to find the site I was looking at that sold these for older kids/adults so I can get her a spiffy new one that doesn't come with pedals in the first place. :tongue_smilie:

:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

I agree, this method is fantasic. So painless and stressfree! DS was riding a balance bike before he was three and was able to transition to a pedal bike before he was four. My nephew received a bike for his fourth birthday a couple of weeks ago and I told his parents, "Take the pedals off!"

Guest momk2000

Thank you for posting this. I have been trying to encourage my 10yo dd to learn to ride a bike, and she shows very little interest. She has PDD, and does have some physical awkwardness, which may interfere with her ability/desire to learn.

My kids can't ride a bike either. It's our secret shame. LOL! The oldest doesn't care to try because it is hard and he doesn't want to fall. Then one of my twins has CP and I'm not sure she can control her leg enough to do it at all. I feel bad for her and hate to push her sister to learn, so we mostly just let the bikes sit there. The youngest is too small to reach the pedals on any bike. I found out my FIL doesn't know how to ride a bike and it makes me want to push the issue because it limits fun. I'll see how this method works. If my DD doesn't have to pedal with both feet, she might be able to do it.

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, LindsayB said:

I've been scrolling and scrolling and don't see the actual method info just the comments. Can someone help me? 

It’s just a balance bike. You can buy one or just take the pedals off of a regular bike. 

(I know that it’s a zombie thread but this sounds like a valid pertinent question). 

• Like 1