Menu

DD15 Posture Help!!!

My dd15 has terrible posture. I nag her about it all the time: "Shoulders back and down!" :glare: Most of the time she has the sloped shoulders/hiney tucked in kind of thing that drives me in.sane. I'm afraid she's going to become the Hunchback of ND if she doesn't straighten up! Add to that, she's a petite 5'1" size 2, so she can't afford to lose any height.

Is there some sort of brace or girdle that you've tried or your kids have tried that helped with posture? Something that doesn't show through clothes? What about those Spanx girdles with the shoulder straps?

Is it due to her position or does she have scoliosis? I have scoliosis so no amount of telling me to put my shoulders back worked--I can't, much. But working on it constantly helps some. My worst contributor to the amount I can control is slouching in computer chairs.... She can work on increasing her muscle in her back, too.

Yoga.

I've had TERRIBLE posture my whole life. My mum and grandmother used to nag me to death about it. It wasn't until I took up yoga in my late twenties that it got better. Problem is now the damage is already done and I have permanent damage to the cartilage between my clavicle and breastbone. Tell her she definitely doesn't want to deal with that. Pain so bad you can't open doors isn't fun. And get her started on yoga.;)

Reading Izumi's post I do agree, have her evaluated for scoliosis first.

Edited by TeacherZee
Agreing with PP

I think having to wear something might be worse than nagging - certainly if my mother had made me do that at that age, I would have slouched harder.

Can you take a different tact? Does she have strong core muscles? Could you have her do yoga or pilates or even dance or something instead? Posture is part habit and part muscle training.

Are her bOOks pretty big? I had a friend in high school who was skinny with big bOOks. She had the hunched over look. One of our church leaders (a woman) told my mom she just wanted to tell my friend to stop slouching.

After I had my first baby, I didn't even realize my bOOks had grown so much until my friend said, "WOW, your bOOks are HUGE!" And a few months ago, I was walking outside and saw myself in a window and saw how hunched over I was. It's not something that's consciously done, it's just my body adjusting to a new center of gravity.

So I would not encourage the nagging, because no one ever changes their behavior as a result of nagging, but if big bOOks are contributing to the problem, help her understand why it's happening and how she needs to adjust.

I've always have had bad posture. I try to consciously straighten up, especially while sitting at the computer/desk or walking, but it is hard because I always want to slip into my old ways. I have a long torso though and feel like a giant when all straightened up. Sorry, I have no advice, just :grouphug:.

I'm 6' tall and hit my adult height quite young. I always heard " you stand up so straight," "you have such beautiful posture." Rather transparent of the adults in my life, but it worked.

So, don't nag and try to catch her standing tall.

That being said, yoga, pilates or dance exercise would be very helpful. Not only would she strengthen the muscles needed for good posture, she'd learn how good it feels.

I'm not suggesting that she wear something as a punishment :tongue_smilie: - I'm wondering if there's something she could wear that would actually keep her shoulders straight so her body gets used to being positioned differently.

1. I hadn't considered anything as serious as scoliosis, but my mother has it--scary thought. I should definitely have her evaluated. :eek:

2. She doesn't have big bOOks. She's a 34B, which seems in keeping with her height and build, so I don't think that's the issue.

3. Both my girls are very athletic, but the yoga suggestion is GREAT--we'll give that a try. My dd13 took dance for awhile, and her posture is really good. I tried to get dd15 into it, but she wasn't interested. I hate to make it mandatory. Yoga is probably a better option.

As another who has had lifelong posture issues, I very much agree that strengthening the core is way more helpful than nagging. Imagine being told on a regular basis to hold a position you find uncomfortable and unnatural. You'd probably manage it for a bit when reminded, but you'd resent it, and it would evaporate as soon as your attention was off of it.

Braces are probably not a great idea - they may provide superficial improvement, but often cause an even greater decrease of strength in the muscles.

Martial arts helped me a lot, but everything else that has been suggested would probably be equally good. The real goal is finding something she enjoys and is willing to do. I wouldn't even bring up the posture aspect of it.

I have been doing Pilates for a year now, and it has really helped me. I've slumped my whole life, partially because of untreated scholiosis. Strengthening my back and learning how the vertabrae feel when they are properly "stacked" has really helped me.

I was nagged by my mother. It made me feel bad about myself and didn't help. She's not doing it on purpose. It's like telling a person who naturally walks a certain way and has since first walking to change their gait.

Strengthen her core. She's likely got low muscle tone. Also have a scoliosis check if you haven't yet (I had that). I think low core strength makes scoliosis more likely rather than the posture being caused by scoliosis or at least that was the case for me.

The braces they sell are very, very uncomfortable. Even motivated myself I couldn't consistently use them. Core strengthening is the only thing that helped me. I did PT but I would expect horse riding to be great for core work. Yoga or similar would also likely be very helpful.

Edited by sbgrace

I'm not suggesting that she wear something as a punishment :tongue_smilie: - I'm wondering if there's something she could wear that would actually keep her shoulders straight so her body gets used to being positioned differently.

Oh, I understood that. I just thought that to a 15 yo, it would seem like a punishment no matter how positive the intention. If she doesn't have a good bookshelf (as they say on this board...) then that can contribute, so that might be something to consider, but I doubt it's the main factor.

Other than core muscles, I think the main reason people (especially girls) develop poor posture is poor self-esteem or lack of confidence - either making them want to hide in a group or because they're trying to disguise what they perceive as a large figure (whether it's true or not). Yoga would help and would certainly give her a better chance at having good posture once she decides it's important. However, I would assume that nothing will *really* help until she herself realizes she needs to change.

Kids who wear scoliosis braces do so while growing--your dd has probably reached her adult height, so exercise is the way to go. But I'd still get her evaluated. You want to work on core muscles. Horseback riding is excellent therapy for this. I have microfractures and some muscles in my back that overstretched, leading to some rounding of my upper back. I wish my mom had stopped nagging and actually looked for a medical reason and therapy for me, instead of thinking it was all my fault and I was just being shy and or rebellious.

I see in your siggie that she is a horse lover. Riding certainly would encourage and teach good posture. Does she ride/take lessons often?

She's had quite a few lessons, both English and Western style, participated in barrel racing, etc., and strangely enough, she sits nice and straight on a horse. :confused:

When I'm sitting, instead of thinking about pushing my shoulders back, I sometimes concentrate on pushing my belly forward. When I'm standing is when I do the shoulders.

Interesting tip...I just tried it! It works. :D

Kids who wear scoliosis braces do so while growing--your dd has probably reached her adult height, so exercise is the way to go. But I'd still get her evaluated. You want to work on core muscles. Horseback riding is excellent therapy for this. I have microfractures and some muscles in my back that overstretched, leading to some rounding of my upper back. I wish my mom had stopped nagging and actually looked for a medical reason and therapy for me, instead of thinking it was all my fault and I was just being shy and or rebellious.

I was wondering this afternoon where I would get her evaluated...I wonder if a chiropractor would be the place to start, or if I should talk to a family doctor?

I checked Hulu today--they have quite a few yoga workouts, so we'll give that a try for a few weeks and see if there's an improvement. She's doing Flow Yoga for Beginners as we speak. :001_smile:

Could you take a few pictures of her slouching and show them to her? I must admit that I was a terrible sloucher until fairly recently. The motivation to change was a candid photo taken at a high school reunion in which I look like the prize winning sloucher. At 5'10", I learned to slouch early because I felt like the jolly green giant. I now make a conscious effort to stand up straight SOLELY based the horror of how I looked in that one photo, taken at just the right angle to show my superb slouching.:glare:

It could just be a habit that has resulted in inappropriate length muscles.

I took dd12 to physical therapy for a bit for a shoulder issue and ended up staying to concentrate on fixing her posture.

They had her do many different exercises (not long sessions, just to break up the monotony) to strengthen the correct muscles and allow them to adjust to the correct length/tension.

It didn't take many therapy sessions to correct the problem, she and I just needed to know how to correct it, the right way.

One of the ways I remind her now to correct her posture is to place my fingers on the bottom lower part of her shoulder blades, and ask her to draw them together and down. I don't have to say a word to her, I just walk up and place my finger on one or both of them, and she instantly corrects.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with her spine, I would guess she has weak core muscles and/or hasn't trained her body how to hold itself properly. A class that teaches proper posture such as pilates or yoga would really help (pilates most of all though b/c it's based on ballet and really builds a straight posture as well as exceptionally strong core muscles).

I agree that yoga or dance would help strengthen core muscles. But as she seems to be experienced in riding horses and shows good posture there, I'm assuming that it isn't a lack of strength. I feel that it may be self esteem issues. They tend to plague teenage girls of all shapes, sizes and body types. Also, some girls I knew felt standing tall was too aggressive a stance, and would slouch feeling that it made them more "dainty" or "willowy". No matter what her body type is, she may feel that way. Also, wanting to blend or fit in, may unconsciously make her hunch or slouch. I would totally avoid any type of brace as a teenager will see that the wrong way, unless they asked for it.

Sounds like she has a mom who cares about her, and wants to help. Hope the situation is resolved soon! :grouphug:

Yoga, yoga, yoga :)

I have never met a yogini with poor posture.

Editing: I'd give her a choice or have alternate between either Yoga or Pilates, etc. type stuff - as others have suggested - DVDs or classes - until she finds something she loves

If you have a rebounder - that helps a lot also. Rebounding has many amazing benefits.

The key is that at her age, she needs to like what she's doing. Forcing her won't be sustainable over the long-term.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Another vote for exercise. I have mild scoliosis. I was just in PT for the last 6 weeks, but the kids will be home so I exercise at home with a few things.

I've been told by physical therapists that a brace is NOT good because you start to rely on the brace and still do not work on the proper muscles.

I personally would take her to the family Dr.