Menu

Singapore number bonds...

... are going to be the death of us.

Do these really have to be memorized? DD understands the concept, and given a whole, or a whole + 1 part, can figure out the missing part, but needs to actually work it out with manipulatives. She doesn't have the numbers memorized.

We put Singapore away awhile ago because number bonds just weren't clicking and worked on "life math" for awhile. Came back to Singapore and are pretty much in the same position.

But, she already has some addition facts memorized and can do addition under 15 or so in her head. She can also do subtraction, mostly with manipulatives but some in her head also.

Is it enough that she understands the concept? Can we move on? She's really hating it and biting at the bit to move on, but I'm worried that we'll have trouble later.

Yes, they have to be memorized. The tens bonds in particular are going to come up repeatedly in mental math techniques. I don't, however, recall at which point you should stop until they are mastered.

Five is young, and you may do best by setting it side for a few more months in favour of playing games or using a kindergarten program.

Spy Car told me they don't have to be memorized; it will come naturally as you work with them over and over and over and over. As long as she can figure them out quickly in her head, you can move on. :)

ETA: I would agree with PP that all the 10s should be memorized, as they are used so much for other strategies. What worked for us to get the 10s was to play "Making 10s." I would call out a number from 0-10 and DD would respond with whatever went with it to make 10. So if I said 7, she'd say 3. We did this all the time throughout the day; I'd just randomly call out a few numbers and she would answer. I also made a file folder game where she matches numbers that go together to make 10.

Edited by TXBeth

I suggest you go ahead and move on. It will be repeated later and eventually she will get it. Since she knows how to solve it with manipulative, she understand "the process" and that is very important. You can use tally sticks and group numbers by 5. We used "number bonds" with my 4 years old son using pictures of shapes, toys etc and then he would right an equation to his "word problem". He thinks quicker when I talk about candies:)

My daughter learned her "basic 10" by playing a game " make 10". You put number cards from 0 to 10 ( we used 2 decks of numbers from 0-10) face down. The youngest person goes first and draw a card, for example 8. Then he will turn another card for example 2, so if the sum of both numbers is equal 10, he keeps cards. Otherwise, put them back face down. Another person will draw a card and trying to find the pair to make 10. You continue drawing until you fail to find a pair. It was a good memory game to remember where cards are and trying to make pairs.

Edited by SneguochkaL

It's best to have them memorized. We did 1A when my dd was a 5 year old Ker as well. We spent the entire year just on 1A. IMO, you don't want to move on to 1B until the number bonds for 1-20 are down cold, and the HIG says as much.

You could probably do some of the other units in 1A if they don't rely on number bonds, while you continue to review. I don't have it but I have heard that the Rightstart game set is great. You can also play card games, like UNO but the number you put down has to make a 10 (or an 8 or a 12) with the card on the discard pile (does this make sense??).

Anyway, any extra time you take on reviewing this concept in a variety of ways will pay off big time down the road. When we got to 1B and it was time to add 25+8, dd6 just looked at the problem and figured it out, no teaching required. And now we are adding up to 1,000 and it's a piece of cake. I know it's due to building that strong basic number sense and taking as long as she needed to completely master it. You will be amazed at what your dd will be able to do a year or two from now!

I would call out a number from 0-10 and DD would respond with whatever went with it to make 10. So if I said 7, she'd say 3. We did this all the time throughout the day; I'd just randomly call out a few numbers and she would answer. I also made a file folder game where she matches numbers that go together to make 10.

:thumbup1: Love it!

Five is young, and you may do best by setting it side for a few more months in favour of playing games or using a kindergarten program.

I agree. My dd is 6.5 and has only memorized the number bonds in the last few months. If you just keep doing maths, she will eventually memorize the bonds through practice.

Aside from the file folder game, you can also use the MEP ball game: the teacher throws a ball at the student and says a number. The student has to throw it back and say the other number that forms a bond with the teacher's number to make 10. My dd enjoys this game.

Or, you can play Addition War with regular playing cards.

HTH

Some of these review "games" sound a lot like solitaire games where you have to get pairs of cards to add up to thirteen (the King, being the thirteen, is a freebie). Some examples would be Tripeaks (or the similar Pyramid) or Monte Carlo Thirteen. You could try a variation on this by removing the "royal family" (Kings, Queens, and Jokers) and playing to ten instead of thirteen.

Or, you could more simply play "Tens"/"Take Ten" or "Block Ten," which are variations on the same game, which already are set up to add up to ten. (You do matching with the face cards.) This looks like a much less messy game than either of the above.

My son loves to watch me play computer games, particularly ones he can "help" with. If your daughter's like this, "let" her watch you find cards that add up to ten on Block Ten (which seems to be the more popular version for computer playing--my Ubuntu has it natively, and I found at least one place that offered it free online). Soon, the fate of every solitaire player whose game is being watched will befall you--she'll start to offer advice on your next move.

Since Block Ten is purely a "luck" game, you can even let her play it on the computer without having to work through any strategy beyond "find all the tens you can." (That is, of course, assuming she has point/click down and you're there to make sure she isn't downloading stuff she shouldn't. And, inevitably, to offer your own advice.)

My just turned 5 year old loves to play "make 10" with two sets of homemade 0-10 cards. She doesn't have many of them momorised but they are coming naturally as she continues to use them. Meanwhile she isn't having a problem with 1B or Mathletics. Just move on but find a way she enjoys to practice it.

They don't have to be intentionally memorized, but you do need to work with them until she can provide the missing number easily. That's the goal. But you are welcome to take a break if that's what she needs.

You have received good advice. My feeling is it is actually better for children to work through the mental math strategies and to "calculate" sums by re-grouping rather than trying to simply "memorize" them as a task removed from doing the re-grouping work. It takes practice and work but it pays off in working the part of the mind that Singapore style math will continue to put to the test as time goes by.

TxBeth made a very good point about giving special attention to the "pairs that make 10." These are critical to doing re-grouping strategies based around making Tens.

As in 8+7.

Have them talk you through re-grouping the values over and over and over and...

8 needs [?] to be a Ten?

Re-group and you now have 10 and [?]

The Right Start game "Go to the Dump" is a classic for reenforcing the pairs that make Ten skills in a fun way. Here is a video that explains the rules:

Bill

TxBeth made a very good point about giving special attention to the "pairs that make 10." These are critical to doing re-grouping strategies based around making Tens.

As in 8+7.

Have them talk you through re-grouping the values over and over and over and...

8 needs [?] to be a Ten?

Re-group and you now have 10 and [?]

The Right Start game "Go to the Dump" is a classic for reenforcing the pairs that make Ten skills in a fun way. Here is a video that explains the rules:

Bill

But the bonds for two to ten have to be memorized (by whatever method) before the child can effectively make tens at speed. This is what I assumed the OP was asking about.

But the bonds for two to ten have to be memorized (by whatever method) before the child can effectively make tens at speed. This is what I assumed the OP was asking about.

I just think that learning these though doing (which at some beginning stage might include using C Rods or other manipulatives) and then working mental strategies to "solve" the splitting of wholes into parts, or with two parts finding the whole, will natural result in lewrning these facts. And that it is better to get to that end by repeated practice rather than stopping things to do "flash-card" type memorization.

It is like going through the painful part of the reading process when the kiddos are grinding out the words by using their knowledge of phonics. Is the reading a little choppy? Sure! Do we get to fluency by breaking out flash-cards so they can memorize the "sight-words" by their shape? Or do we grin a bear it with phonetic reading because we know the process will build a different (stronger) set of skills?

At 5 you want to "work" the re-grouping skills. They get mastered. And there a plenty of fun ways to increase recall skills as time goes by. Right?

Bill

My personal experience with my kids so far is that even if I don't spend time drilling number bonds, they naturally pick them up through a combination of "real life" math and using SM.

My youngest dd is at the beginning of being introduced to number bonds (via SM Essentials). My boys (who are both very mathy), intuitively understood and learned number bonds quickly and easily in their early years of learning math. I'm certain that every child will not learn math quite as easily/intuitively as my kids seem to, but I have not done anything with them regarding number bonds other than playing games such as dominoes (great for number bonds), dealing with money and using SM.

Multiplication facts? Now, that is an entirely different animal.;)

I just think that learning these though doing (which at some beginning stage might include using C Rods or other manipulatives) and then working mental strategies to "solve" the splitting of wholes into parts, or with two parts finding the whole, will natural result in lewrning these facts. And that it is better to get to that end by repeated practice rather than stopping things to do "flash-card" type memorization.

It is like going through the painful part of the reading process when the kiddos are grinding out the words by using their knowledge of phonics. Is the reading a little choppy? Sure! Do we get to fluency by breaking out flash-cards so they can memorize the "sight-words" by their shape? Or do we grin a bear it with phonetic reading because we know the process will build a different (stronger) set of skills?

At 5 you want to "work" the re-grouping skills. They get mastered. And there a plenty of fun ways to increase recall skills as time goes by. Right?

Bill

:iagree:

My oldest child mastered "number bonds" playing RS card games instead of memorizing just facts. At age 5 math should be a fun exploration, not a "dull" memorization, especially when a child desires to learn new things.

Edited by SneguochkaL

My oldest child mastered "number bonds" playing RS card games instead of memorizing just facts. At age 5 math should be a fun exploration, not a "dull" memorization, especially when a child desires to learn new things.

Well, call it attaining a state of automaticity instead of memorization, as people seem to associate the latter term with particular method.

If a child hasn't picked up the number bonds from two to ten by a particular point in Primary Math (and definitely before moving on 2A), I would certainly park, or switch to another program for awhile, until mastery of those facts is attained. And I say this as someone who routinely recommends using a multiplication chart (and practicing facts separately) for kids having trouble rather than holding a child back conceptually later on in the program. Much of 1B and year 2 center around making tens, and it is assumed the child can do it at speed.

Well, call it attaining a state of automaticity instead of memorization, as people seem to associate the latter term with particular method.

If a child hasn't picked up the number bonds from two to ten by a particular point in Primary Math (and definitely before moving on 2A), I would certainly park, or switch to another program for awhile, until mastery of those facts is attained. And I say this as someone who routinely recommends using a multiplication chart (and practicing facts separately) for kids having trouble rather than holding a child back conceptually later on in the program. Much of 1B and year 2 center around making tens, and it is assumed the child can do it at speed.

:iagree: We hit a wall in 1B because I didn't make sure she knew her number bonds from two to ten. It's tempting to move forward without knowing the facts when they understand the concepts, but it might lead to frustrations on down the road. I personally would camp out and play games (like the ones suggested in the HIG), use the mental math sheets and possibly some online drill until those facts are cemented. You'll be glad you laid a good foundation as you progress through the levels, take it from someone who learned that the hard way ;).

The means are critical though, no?

I hope I'm not misunderstood on the importance of learning all the pairs that make 10 (among other skills). If a child is faced with 8+7=[ ] they need to know that 8 needs two to be 10. They also need to be able to reason that the "number bond" where 7 "the whole" and 2 is one "part" leaves the other "part" being 5.

They need to have the skills to "work" this strategy. And it is important to talk through the strategy over and over and over again until it is throughly understood.

Beyond this these should be played with and learned. They are vital skills of re-grouping that do need to be learned through use.

But learning through use is different than "memorizing." There is so much mental math in Singapore (that requires evermore sophisticated re-grouping skills as one goes along) that it is imperative that these skills be learned through "doing."

I'm not suggesting it doesn't take work (atlthough some of the work ought to that the form of "play") because it does. Just like you need to have a child work through reading dozens and dozens of Bob Books (or whatever) rather than having them memorize Hop on Pop to give the illusion of fluency. I'm sure we do not disagree.

I will second what Pata has said, games can be a great way to reenforce these skills and for most children they are a fun activity so it is one way to get in more of the work/play necessary to develop the skills that are necessary going forward. These are foundation skills. They do need to be mastered.

Anyway, I doubt there is a sliver of daylight between us Moira, I just get concerned when I hear "memorize the math facts" in the context of this community because the "means" to that end are vital. Children at this level must master the re-grouping strategies. It can (likely will) take them some time to solve 8+7. Should they quickly know 8 needs 2 to be 10, or 7 needs 3, and be able to work the regrouping of the other numbers to work the strategy? Without doubt! But that is different than "memorizing" 8+7=15.

If a child can not split a 7 into a 2 and a 5, then yes there is work to be done. If that is your point I agree 100%.

Bill

Anyway, I doubt there is a sliver of daylight between us Moira, I just get concerned when I hear "memorize the math facts" in the context of this community because the "means" to that end are vital. Children at this level must master the re-grouping strategies. It can (likely will) take them some time to solve 8+7. Should they quickly know 8 needs 2 to be 10, or 7 needs 3, and be able to work the regrouping of the other numbers to work the strategy? Without doubt! But that is different than "memorizing" 8+7=15.

If a child can not split a 7 into a 2 and a 5, then yes there is work to be done. If that is your point I agree 100%.

Agreed. :D

"Go to the Dump" is how my six year old mastered the pairs that make 10 this year. Now we are playing the card game "Addition War" to practice the higher basic facts. If she doesn't know the sum of her two cards, she uses the abacus to visually regroup...we've been playing this on and off for a few weeks and has made great gains. I love how there is understanding behind the facts this way as opposed to just rote memorization.

Spy Car told me they don't have to be memorized; it will come naturally as you work with them over and over and over and over. As long as she can figure them out quickly in her head, you can move on.

:iagree: I've seen this happening with my two oldest. I wouldn't sweat it, especially for how young she is. She'll get it! ;)

"Go to the Dump" is how my six year old mastered the pairs that make 10 this year. Now we are playing the card game "Addition War" to practice the higher basic facts. If she doesn't know the sum of her two cards, she uses the abacus to visually regroup...we've been playing this on and off for a few weeks and has made great gains. I love how there is understanding behind the facts this way as opposed to just rote memorization.

My son also made great gains playing these games. It is amazing the strides that can be made when one works in a spirit of fun.

Bill

I have not read the other replies, but MUS blocks are AMAZING. I absolutely love them. We take our 10s block to work on this with ds and I put a number block (that is also color coated) and he finds the "missing link" to make it 10. I am in love with my MUS blocks! I will use them until ds begs me to stop :lol: We have used them SOOO much its going to hurt when we no longer need them

I have been following this thread with much interest, my son is almost finished with 1A, We have been camping out and working on number bonds, becasue its seemed very hard for him to regroup when he didnt know that 5 and 2 was 7. so please correct me if I am wrong. Before we move on he should know all the number bonds to 10. right now he can do to 5 easily 6,7, 10 ok and not 8 or 9. Should I make sure we know these before doing 1B? or should we keep moving on and working them on the side? we have been using MM addition RS games and some online stuff. DO I have this right?

:iagree: We hit a wall in 1B because I didn't make sure she knew her number bonds from two to ten. It's tempting to move forward without knowing the facts when they understand the concepts, but it might lead to frustrations on down the road. I personally would camp out and play games (like the ones suggested in the HIG), use the mental math sheets and possibly some online drill until those facts are cemented. You'll be glad you laid a good foundation as you progress through the levels, take it from someone who learned that the hard way ;).

:iagree: we never drilled either but I made sure ds had mastered those number bonds. I wouldn't on to 1B unless they were automatic (I like nmoira's term). It would be unnecessarily frustrating to move on.

FWIW, I do agree with Spy Car as to the methods. I just don't see the rush to forge ahead with a 5yo if the concept isn't mastered (and I wouldn't say that it is unless the number bonds are automatic). I'm not so concerned with speed at my house as long as there is no frustration.

I just don't see the rush to forge ahead with a 5yo if the concept isn't mastered (and I wouldn't say that it is unless the number bonds are automatic). I'm not so concerned with speed at my house as long as there is no frustration.

I have been following this thread with much interest, my son is almost finished with 1A, We have been camping out and working on number bonds, becasue its seemed very hard for him to regroup when he didnt know that 5 and 2 was 7. so please correct me if I am wrong. Before we move on he should know all the number bonds to 10. right now he can do to 5 easily 6,7, 10 ok and not 8 or 9. Should I make sure we know these before doing 1B? or should we keep moving on and working them on the side? we have been using MM addition RS games and some online stuff. DO I have this right?

You might need a sideways move. Have you ever worked with manipulatives like C Rods (or MUS blocks) so he could play with making all the combinations that make 7 (to choose just one?) in a "concrete" way?

These skills do need to be learned. My best advice is not to panic or let him see that you are stressed and frustrated (or worried).

But yes, I think you need to gently work on these skills. You can make up your own number bond pages, play games, maybe allow some gentle electronic/computer games, and consider manipulative work. He does need to learn these. But children develop at different speeds.

My son got an incredible amount of fun mathematical understanding from playing with C Rods using Miquon and Miquon-like means. Other kids take to the Right Start Abacus. But yes, he needs to know 7 can be split into 5 and 2. And "pairs that make 10" need to be solid.

Just try to keep it fun and developmentally in line with where he is now. Patience really is a virtue. He will get there and it is worth journey.

Best wishes!

Bill

Has anybody seen that wooden "math puzzle?" I don't know where to get them; I got mine at a craft fair in Ithaca, NY ages ago, and held onto it for 7 years until we finally had our first child, and I'm so glad I did!

The shapes were created so very well . . . all put together, the numbers 1-10 form a rectangle. 1 is a unit square.

If you find the 3 block, the 1 and 2 blocks fit together on top of it and can form the shape of the three block.

If you find the shape of the 5 block, either the 1 and 4 or the 2 and 3 blocks will fit on top and create the shape of the 5.

1 and 6, 2 and 4, or 3 and 7 or 1 and 2 and 4 will work together to create the shape of the 7 block.

On the backs of the shapes are dots representing the numbers.

This thing can be used in so many ways . . . surely someone must be manufacturing it for real by now-- from the way people discuss number bonds (we started SM in 2A and I'm not using the HIG, but it sounds like this kind of concept, if I'm catching it right?) it sounds like this would be a fun manipulative to have around the house for kids to just play with on their own in the pre-math years and then use intentionally in the 1A and 1B years?

Even with jumping into Singapore partway through and having never heard of number bonds before, my kids never had any trouble getting the idea of breaking down numbers into parts for mental math (ie 6 = 4+2), I suspect, because of growing up with this puzzle. I'll post if I find it somewhere.

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

Has anybody seen that wooden "math puzzle?" I don't know where to get them; I got mine at a craft fair in Ithaca, NY ages ago, and held onto it for 7 years until we finally had our first child, and I'm so glad I did!

The shapes were created so very well . . . all put together, the numbers 1-10 form a rectangle. 1 is a unit square.

If you find the 3 block, the 1 and 2 blocks fit together on top of it and can form the shape of the three block.

If you find the shape of the 5 block, either the 1 and 4 or the 2 and 3 blocks will fit on top and create the shape of the 5.

1 and 6, 2 and 4, or 3 and 7 or 1 and 2 and 4 will work together to create the shape of the 7 block.

On the backs of the shapes are dots representing the numbers.

This thing can be used in so many ways . . . surely someone must be manufacturing it for real by now-- from the way people discuss number bonds (we started SM in 2A and I'm not using the HIG, but it sounds like this kind of concept, if I'm catching it right?) it sounds like this would be a fun manipulative to have around the house for kids to just play with on their own in the pre-math years and then use intentionally in the 1A and 1B years?

Even with jumping into Singapore partway through and having never heard of number bonds before, my kids never had any trouble getting the idea of breaking down numbers into parts for mental math (ie 6 = 4+2), I suspect, because of growing up with this puzzle. I'll post if I find it somewhere.

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

I would love to see this math puzzle if you get the chance. I think it is certainly true that playing with things like this, or C Rods or MUS blocks can set a child up for an almost native understanding of "number bonds."

Bill

The means are critical though, no?

I hope I'm not misunderstood on the importance of learning all the pairs that make 10 (among other skills). If a child is faced with 8+7=[ ] they need to know that 8 needs two to be 10. They also need to be able to reason that the "number bond" where 7 "the whole" and 2 is one "part" leaves the other "part" being 5.

They need to have the skills to "work" this strategy. And it is important to talk through the strategy over and over and over again until it is throughly understood.

Beyond this these should be played with and learned. They are vital skills of re-grouping that do need to be learned through use.

But learning through use is different than "memorizing." There is so much mental math in Singapore (that requires evermore sophisticated re-grouping skills as one goes along) that it is imperative that these skills be learned through "doing."

I'm not suggesting it doesn't take work (atlthough some of the work ought to that the form of "play") because it does. Just like you need to have a child work through reading dozens and dozens of Bob Books (or whatever) rather than having them memorize Hop on Pop to give the illusion of fluency. I'm sure we do not disagree.

I will second what Pata has said, games can be a great way to reenforce these skills and for most children they are a fun activity so it is one way to get in more of the work/play necessary to develop the skills that are necessary going forward. These are foundation skills. They do need to be mastered.

Bill

Figured :D

Here is a fun idea for working the number bonds that I wrote about a couple years ago using a "flap book". There is a picture in post 34 but some discussion in earlier posts. Original idea stolen from the Miquon First Grade Diary.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76209&highlight=Flap

Bill

Thank you for the link to the older thread and thank you everyone for all your input. I have been spending a lot of time reading a bunch of threads these past few days... and nights :tongue_smilie:.

You might need a sideways move. Have you ever worked with manipulatives like C Rods (or MUS blocks) so he could play with making all the combinations that make 7 (to choose just one?) in a "concrete" way?

These skills do need to be learned. My best advice is not to panic or let him see that you are stressed and frustrated (or worried).

But yes, I think you need to gently work on these skills. You can make up your own number bond pages, play games, maybe allow some gentle electronic/computer games, and consider manipulative work. He does need to learn these. But children develop at different speeds.

My son got an incredible amount of fun mathematical understanding from playing with C Rods using Miquon and Miquon-like means. Other kids take to the Right Start Abacus. But yes, he needs to know 7 can be split into 5 and 2. And "pairs that make 10" need to be solid.

Just try to keep it fun and developmentally in line with where he is now. Patience really is a virtue. He will get there and it is worth journey.

Best wishes!

Bill

Thanks! I do have Miquon orange and the rods, I will pull it out and do that for awhile. I'm not at all panicky about it, I just want to make sure we do it the best way possible! Thanks so much your math advice has been a great help to me!

:iagree: I've seen this happening with my two oldest. I wouldn't sweat it, especially for how young she is. She'll get it! ;)

Memorize number bonds? What am I missing? Aren't these the math facts? I use the triangular flash cards. What am I missing? (Am I that far away from K and 1 math?)

Memorize number bonds? What am I missing? Aren these the math facts? I use the triangular flash cards. What am I missing? (Am I that far away from K and 1 math?)
Yeah, but in parts and wholes. They need only be memorized/automatized through ten (i.e. ten is the whole) to be able to use Singapore's strategies to calculate when crossing tens, etc.

Thanks! I do have Miquon orange and the rods, I will pull it out and do that for awhile. I'm not at all panicky about it, I just want to make sure we do it the best way possible! Thanks so much your math advice has been a great help to me!

The C Rod activities are "number bonds" in the form of concrete manipulatives a child can use his or herself to prove these whole-part relationships.

If they have the "parts" they can use rods to find the "whole". If they have a "whole" and a "part" they can find the missing part. It is the Singapore model at a "concrete" level of development. And assuming the child takes to it it can be an extraordinarily effective at an age when they need this sort of approach developmentally.

"Show me all the combinations that make 6" is an easily done assignment for a young child when they have the rods. If they make a "mistake" they see it and self-correct. This builds autonomy, competence and self-confidence.

Miquon and C Rods really are a wonderful compliment to Singapore math-which is not actually an "abstract" method at all.

Singapore does jump rather too quickly into a "pictorial" presentation for some (many) children. I think is is a very legitimate criticism of the program. Miquon and C Rod play can fill that gap, and the HIGs attempt to do this as well. I just wish they used C Rods rather than linking cubes. Oh well.

The HIG suggestions, BTW, can easily be adapted to rod activities. Many of the HIG suggestions we every similar to what we were already doing just with a different manipulative.

I'm pleased if I've been of help.

bill

Yeah, but in parts and wholes. They need only be memorized/automatized through ten (i.e. ten is the whole) to be able to use Singapore's strategies to calculate when crossing tens, etc.

Whhooops. Entirely missed THAT boat. We seem to have left the harbor without it. :001_smile:

Whhooops. Entirely missed THAT boat. We seem to have left the harbor without it. :001_smile:

Well, just get that "Basic" deck of Rightstart green cards and play "Go to the Dump". That is my plan.:D I'm hitting a used curriculum sale tomorrow and have made copious notes regarding what I must have to teach dd all of this good stuff. Honestly, I wouldn't know a c rod if it bit me in the butt, but I will be looking for them tomorrow.

I tell ya, my sons just "got it". I don't know how. It was similar to how they learned to read. I think it had something to do with magical fairy dust. :D I swear I haven't taught them a darn thing. I've just bought some really great curriculum and held it while they read.;)

(Pardon me if I seem loopy...I posted on the "soda with food stamps" thread regarding health insurance and got all worked up.:tongue_smilie:)

Spy Car told me they don't have to be memorized; it will come naturally as you work with them over and over and over and over. As long as she can figure them out quickly in her head, you can move on. :)

ETA: I would agree with PP that all the 10s should be memorized, as they are used so much for other strategies. What worked for us to get the 10s was to play "Making 10s." I would call out a number from 0-10 and DD would respond with whatever went with it to make 10. So if I said 7, she'd say 3. We did this all the time throughout the day; I'd just randomly call out a few numbers and she would answer. I also made a file folder game where she matches numbers that go together to make 10.

We played Make 10 Dominoes (instead of putting matching numbers together, put together numbers that add up to 10) and Make 10 Go Fish (making pairs that add to 10). My kids really enjoyed these in K and 1st grade.

We didn't memorize the other number bonds, other than making sure they understood the concept.

I have killed this thread with my goofiness. Is my prize in the mail? Could I choose it? Could it be a deck of basic Rightstart cards?:D

Hey, I start the thread.... so if you get some, I do too! :D

DD and I have been playing make 10 dominos for the last couple days. I can see how much quicker she's able to figure out the missing part. Probably going to pick up some index cards and make a set of cards for Go to the Dump.