Menu

packing lunches for park/zoo/beach etc?

I'd really like some ideas of things to pack for lunches when we go out for the day. We're eating too much fast food because I'm not making it a priority to pack food. Ideally, I'd like to pack food the day before (or even a couple days before) and then just throw it in the cooler. I'm thinking this would make it easier to have summer adventures. Any great ideas?

So far I'm thinking....

strawberries/blueberries (other fruit that wouldn't get brown?)

cheese/crackers

hardboiled eggs

What ages are you looking for? When mine were younger and grazed through meals, I would get cubed ham, cubed/sliced cheeses, crackers, raisins, grapes, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, some kind of fruit at any rate, carrot sticks, cheese sticks, pretzels, peanut butter crackers. Stuff like that and throw it in the cooler with napkins for each, then at lunch I could give each kid a bit and if they ate it they could get more, but if they decided to go play, their entire lunch wasn't wasted. As they get older, they switch to more sandwiches/subs type lunches.

We eat away from home several times a week. Some of our favorites:

Coat chicken tenders with either panko breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and saute in oil- they last several days in the fridge and are fabulous cold, either just plain or put into a wrap.

Pasta salad can be made with all kinds of things- we especially like it with cherry tomatoes, black olives, leftover rotisserie chicken, cubes of cheese, or salami strips in it.

bento style snack box- rolled up deli meat, laughing cow cheese wedge, crackers, fruit and veggies cut into bite sized pieces.

We actually use bento boxes for most outings- each person has their own food, arranged nicely. It makes the food look more special and just takes a bit of time.

Here are some things we usually take with us (we are gluten, dairy, and soy free):

bread (gluten-free over here)

nut butter

jelly

Lara bars

sliced cucumbers

grape tomatoes

hummus

tortilla chips

mandarin (or any easy peel) oranges

rice cakes

yogurt (coconut milk kind)

Thanks! I have an almost 4 and an almost 1 (who is VERY good at eating solids) I'm definitely thinking along the lines of grazing. Cubed ham is a great idea! So are peanut butter crackers and pretzels. Ds won't eat carrot sticks and dd is still too little for those....thanks for the ideas. My list is growing!

ETA: I was just responding to the first person who answered......while everyone else was posting! Everyone has had great ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Edited by T'smom

We like bringing tuna or chicken or ham tortilla wraps. I bring tons of different types of fruits and veggies. I also pop by our local baker and pick up freshly made cheese bread and soft oatmeal cookies....they eat the bread plain as is and when it sits out in the sun and gets toasty warm they love it even more.

I have small cutting boards and paring knives with covers to help with on-the-go lunches. We just grab fruit, veg, cheese etc. and when lunchtime arrives, we cut up what we need and share. I also bring containers of hummus or other dip type things and crackers.

If we'll be out a long time I throw in some frozen water bottles to keep everything cool.

It helps to keep a list in the cooler or picnic basket of what items and foods you want to grab.

I am a fan of hot dogs/brats.

Put them in the bun, wrap in foil and stick in oven for 1/2 hour before leaving. When leaving, stick in soft side cooler. They will stay warm for several hours.

This is a great idea! When dh grills, I always ask him to grill lots of extra hot dogs and then we have them for lunch the next couple of days. But I hadn't thought of them as portable!

but when the kids were younger, and there was no time to prepare in advance, our version of fast food was to throw juice, cream cheese and peanut butter in the cooler and stop at Dunkin Donuts for bagels.

Special treats/drinks for my kids included those chocolate milks in a box and if you bring water bottles and lemonade mix, you can just pour the powder into individual water bottles and shake.

We like bringing tuna or chicken or ham tortilla wraps. I bring tons of different types of fruits and veggies. I also pop by our local baker and pick up freshly made cheese bread and soft oatmeal cookies....they eat the bread plain as is and when it sits out in the sun and gets toasty warm they love it even more.

What are your fave fruits/vegs to take? I like the idea of stopping at the bakery!

I'm also thinking that I could bake cookies and then pack them in servings to take....usually they just get nibbled on right away and we don't have any left.

We pack our lunch to go alot of places. We have homeschool group every Wednesday (but not during the summer) so we pack a lunch for that too.

I'm a big fan of small rubbermaid/gladware containers, so usually I fill those with a variety of the following:

PB&J sandwich, cut up

Nutella sandwich, cut up

strawberries

grapes

watermelon

apple slices

graham crackers (with PB or Nutella to dip in)

cheddar bunnies

small salad with a small container of dressing

bagel with cream cheese

round crackers, squares of cheese and pepperoni to make a cracker sandwich

squirrel wedges (nuts, PB, honey, Nutella blended together and spread between whole wheat tortillas and cut into wedges)

cubes of cheese

mini deli sandwich (Hawaiian roll with mayo, with lunchmeat and cheese in the middle)

rolled up lunch meat with a toothpick to keep it rolled up)

Sometimes, I even head things up and put them in a thermos....

hot dogs

chicken nuggets

Bernie O's (organic spaghettio's)

mac-n-cheese

mini chicken sandwich (Hawaiian roll with mayo on it and a chicken nugget in the middle)

Hmm....that's all I can think of right now.

We pack our lunch to go alot of places. We have homeschool group every Wednesday (but not during the summer) so we pack a lunch for that too.

I'm a big fan of small rubbermaid/gladware containers, so usually I fill those with a variety of the following:

PB&J sandwich, cut up

Nutella sandwich, cut up

strawberries

grapes

watermelon

apple slices

graham crackers (with PB or Nutella to dip in)

cheddar bunnies

small salad with a small container of dressing

bagel with cream cheese

round crackers, squares of cheese and pepperoni to make a cracker sandwich

squirrel wedges (nuts, PB, honey, Nutella blended together and spread between whole wheat tortillas and cut into wedges)

cubes of cheese

mini deli sandwich (Hawaiian roll with mayo, with lunchmeat and cheese in the middle)

rolled up lunch meat with a toothpick to keep it rolled up)

hot dogs

chicken nuggets

mac-n-cheese

mini chicken sandwich (Hawaiian roll with mayo on it and a chicken nugget in the middle)

Hmm....that's all I can think of right now.

That all sounds great! Much more appetizing that Taco Bell! The pepperoni/cheese/cracker is genius! My ds LOVES pepperoni.

Do you put something on the apple slices to keep them from turning brown?

hot dogs

chicken nuggets

mac-n-cheese

We've done hot dogs in a thermos before. I just put them in cold and pour boiling water over them. They stay very hot. It helps to have a wide mouth thermos. :glare::)

My kids LOVE ham on those Hawaiian rolls. Walmart makes some pineapple rolls. They don't seem all that pineapple-y to me but they are sweet and small. And they are a perfect size for littles.

Wow, y'all are much more creative than I!

Each of my dds had her own little slightly-insulated lunch bag; I made a sandwich for each of us, and added some fruit and called it a day. I guess we weren't much for snacking, so I didn't pack those.

I pack lunches a lot! My kids love picnic lunches. I kinda take the bento box route. I highly recommend this blog... http://www.anotherlunch.com ...she has great ideas for lunches. Also I think someone mentioned about packing apples without turning brown...this lady uses Pink Lady apples and those don't turn brown after you slice them. They are pretty much the only apples I buy now...love them!

Hope this helps!:)

Because we don't have a dishwasher and I didn't want to hand wash a billion and twelve Bento box things, I got these. I like them a lot, I even use them regularly for breakfast and lunch at home. We do broccoli florets (I buy a bag of prechopped stuff from Costco), pretzel sticks, couscous, wraps, carrots, strawberries and yogurt, grapes, oranges. More ideas here.

You can also bake muffins and freeze them ahead of time. Get a mini-muffin pan so they're a good size for your kiddos. I like low-fat banana ones with nuts and sometimes chocolate chips. You can also freeze tubs of hummus, and mini-pita breads. Diced cheese freezes well also.

We like the Pink Lady apples, and also the Granny Smith ones for taking along.

Camping stores sell a small salt/pepper shaker which is nice to take along.

I cut down a larger thin cutting board to just fit my lunch box. Those nice colored sheathed knives are wonderful for lunch boxes.

Smoothies are nice.

I also make yogurt parfaits from frozen berries, plain yogurt, and walnuts.

These are GREAT ideas. For me, it is the daily packing that is a drag. My solution? Prepare several days of food at once and put in baggies or reusable containers. So, if you would need 3 servings of watermelon balls for 1 outing, maybe make 9 servings at once to cover 3 outings. Bag up a ton of pretzels, etc. Then it becomes MUCH easier to grab and go.

These are GREAT ideas. For me, it is the daily packing that is a drag. My solution? Prepare several days of food at once and put in baggies or reusable containers. So, if you would need 3 servings of watermelon balls for 1 outing, maybe make 9 servings at once to cover 3 outings. Bag up a ton of pretzels, etc. Then it becomes MUCH easier to grab and go.

Me, too, on the daily packing. If I know we'll be out a lot that week, at the beginning of it I will make fruit salad (just a bunch of chopped up whatever is in season thrown together) and then split it up into various sized containers for the fridge. I put yogurt into smaller containers (I buy tubs usually, if the individuals are as cheap I'll buy them if I know we'll be out). We do the cheese/cracker/pepperoni thing a lot, too, so I cut up a bunch of cheese and make sure the pepperoni is in decent size bags (we buy the 5 pound bag from Sam's). I'll bring deli turkey or roasted chicken for mine. Crackers we just grab a box or a sleeve, depending on the cracker. I'll buy a big bag of pretzels or pita chips and divvy them up into smaller bags/containers. Nuts of almost any kind are a hit with my crew, but you couldn't give them to your 1 year old.

Anyway, ditto on the ready-to-go containers at the beginning of the week!