Menu

If you thought you were depressed what would you do?

Okay seriously I think I'm despressed. No surprise... I've said it before. But I don't know where to go from here. I don't want to take prescription medicine (have my fill of that) and would rather go natural. What should I do? Should I see a natural health doctor? I don't want to admit I need help... but it would feel so good to not feel so awful anymore. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. Most of my days are bad days, and my good days are like most people's bad days. A good day is one where I don't want to scream or cry and just feel mostly blah. There are a few moments that bring me happiness... but most everything is swallowed up in sadness and rage. I thought for a long time that it was the affects of my thyroid cancer and not finding the right dosage for synthroid.... but it's not getting better. I am really, really struggling and don't know what the first step is to take. I'd appreciate any advice you could give. Thanks for listening.

Could you go see a psychologist to talk to? At least for me therapy helped me through a lot of my mental health issues (including depression).

I'm sorry you're suffering.:grouphug:

ETA: also I know you said you don't want to do meds, but maybe you could talk to a psychiatrist for an initial evaluation? that was the first step I took when I realized I needed to seek help. A psychiatrist could help guide you to the most effective treatments and also give you a diagnosis.

Edited by actuary

If you found out that a prescription medication could make you feel better relatively quickly, would you still be opposed? I'd see my gp, describe my symptoms, tell him that I prefer not to take medication but would if he thought it would help, and take it from there.

Hope you are better soon! :grouphug:

About the gp vs. psychiatrist, for my insurance I didn't even have to get a referral to go see a psychiatrist. You could go directly to see a psychiatrist. So if possible, I might go directly to see a psychiatrist, simply because psychiatrists are experienced in that field and can do a more thorough evaluation.

At least for my insurance, they actually preferred people to just go directly to the psychiatrists instead of going to the gps first.

Just another thought. :grouphug:

My dear, there is no shame in taking medications. It sounds like what you are dealing with is more than coping strategies or self-care can handle.

Also, I'd go to the GP. It might be that some medication you are already taking needs to be adjusted, or perhaps you are severely anemic or some other medical condition. Just tell Dr honestly what you are feeling.

And, therapy is also good... there are lots of clinics where you can find sliding scale-- I would look up NAMI.org and see what resources they have near where you live.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It could still be your thyroid causing your depression. My mom has hypothyroidism and gets very depressed when her meds are out of whack.

As for natural solutions St John's Wort has been shown to be as effective as SSRIs in double blind studies to treat mild to moderate depression. A lack of Vitamin D can also cause depression, it's typically the cause of SAD. Omega 3 oils found in fatty fish, flax seed and walnuts can also reduce depression.

As someone who has suffered from clinical depression, I've found ABA (applied behavioral analysis, ordinarily used for autism) to be the most helpful. If you can find a therapist that does ABA with depressed patients you will get significantly better results than just taking something prescription or otherwise.

HTH :grouphug: It will get better.

I would see a therapist. If the therapist thought medication was appropriate while we began working on the psychological stuff, I would consider it. I would never, ever take psychotropic medications instead of therapy.

I see St John's wort has been mentioned. As a practicing herbalist I will put out the general caution that, while somewhat effective for mild depression, St John's wort is known to affect a liver process which is responsible for the clearing of other medications - blood pressure meds, hormones, anticonvulsants, etc - as well as increase sun sensitivity and, really, it does not work nearly as well as cognitive behavioral therapy (as is true for SSRIs). For clients, I would use it for chronic pain management; for depression, I would refer for therapy. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse
St John's wort

Hi-

Do you feel that your depression is in any way hormone related? I feel dumb giving advice for this when I feel like I am in your boat right now. I have tried dong quai for hormone related depression and rage with pretty good results. There are a variety of herbal remedies for depression. If you want to stay natural, I would recommend going to a naturopath and see where that takes you. He/She may recommend therapy along with herbs or whatever. And if there is no improvement, ofcourse you can go see a regular dr and get meds. I have been depressed on and off for about 13 years after I adopted 5 RAD children at one time even though I was on prozac some of that time. When I got pregnant 9 years ago with my youngest son, the depression went away some as I was so thrilled to be pregnant. Then I had my youngest child (dd) and was again just thrilled beyond belief. Things had been good up until about 5 years ago and they have gotten progressively worse due to the actions of others in our lives. Anyways- I just admitted to my husband the other night that I feel like I am barely keeping my head above water, that I just hope to survive until the kids are all grown. I need to take the dong quai more religiously as I am sure it would help. Anyways, I dont know why I just told you all of that... maybe just to let you know youre not alone. PM me if you just want to talk. :grouphug:

It could still be your thyroid causing your depression. My mom has hypothyroidism and gets very depressed when her meds are out of whack.

As for natural solutions St John's Wort has been shown to be as effective as SSRIs in double blind studies to treat mild to moderate depression. A lack of Vitamin D can also cause depression, it's typically the cause of SAD. Omega 3 oils found in fatty fish, flax seed and walnuts can also reduce depression.

As someone who has suffered from clinical depression, I've found ABA (applied behavioral analysis, ordinarily used for autism) to be the most helpful. If you can find a therapist that does ABA with depressed patients you will get significantly better results than just taking something prescription or otherwise.

:iagree: Years ago, I went to see a therapist because I was just blaaaahhhhh. Turns out it was my thyroid. How nice, you get depressed when it is overactive. :glare: You also get depressed when it is underactive.

It helps me to remember when I feel that *****y, it is my thyroid. That bit, though trivial, really helps put it all into perspective. I am still working on the right combo of meds. I exercise a lot and try to get sunshine. Also, I have been taking lots of caffeine. It feels so restorative to me. :)

I have trouble getting out bed, too, at times.

I have used St. John's Wort in the past as a natural depression remedy and found it highly effective. There has also been research that supports its effectiveness for mild to moderate depression. I have a book on it somewhere but it is probably still packed from our move. One note, like many prescription remedies it takes 1-2 months to reach full effectiveness.

:iagree: Years ago, I went to see a therapist because I was just blaaaahhhhh. Turns out it was my thyroid. How nice, you get depressed when it is overactive. :glare: You also get depressed when it is underactive.

It helps me to remember when I feel that *****y, it is my thyroid. That bit, though trivial, really helps put it all into perspective. I am still working on the right combo of meds. I exercise a lot and try to get sunshine. Also, I have been taking lots of caffeine. It feels so restorative to me. :)

I have trouble getting out bed, too, at times.

Along the lines of sunshine, OP, have you tried adding a vitamin D3 supplement, to see if there's any improvement, or had your D levels checked? I doubt this would be sufficent, by itself, but it may be something to consider.

I am happily medicated and I am thankful for it (as is my family). I find that a low dose of meds keeps me in balance. Since the death of my daughter I have battled depression and I feel medication is a right, good, healthy option for me. Unfortunately, it means that I am about 25 lbs heaver than I should be, but I have just come to accept it, the trade off is totally worth it to me. The medication has really helped me get my life back and have FUN with my kids instead of being filled with anger all the time. It helps me be the kind of mom and wife I know I can be, and want to be.

Well thats the other thing that keeps me from seeking help... my insurance bites. Being self employed and a history of cancer makes it hard to get good insurance. I'd have to foot the bill whatever I decide to do.

If you live near a university with a graduate program in psychology, they might have a free clinic. Graduate students training to be clinical psychologists provide therapy and they are supervised by professors. Just another idea about where you might be able to get some free help.

First of all, :grouphug: I am sorry you are struggling. I have struggled with depression for off/on close to 6 years now. It can be SO hard to find something that works because everyone is SO different!!

I wanted to recommend the book, The Depression Cure, to you. I am not against meds...in fact, I've been on lexapro for a few years now and it has been a LIFESAVER. However, there are side effects that are getting harder and harder for me to live with. So, I began searching out alternatives...this book is GREAT. It gives you 6 things to add to your life that will help without meds.

Also, St. John's Wort never worked for me. But 5HTP helped my BIL. And a high dose of a QUALITY fish oil has also helped me to a degree.

I hope you can find something that works for you!!

:grouphug:

I started a vitamen B complex a few days ago and the difference has been incredible. I'm also taking fish oil supplements (started the same day). :grouphug: Sometimes, you're run down because life is stressful and you have a vitamen deficiency.

:grouphug: (for good measure)

:iagree: I tried adding a small dose of cytomel to my thyroid meds last month under my doctor's supervision and felt really down for a while. It took me a bit to realize it was the cytomel. I have had other weird, unexpected reactions to thyroid meds. I don't tolerate Synthroid (horrible insomnia), but do great on levothyroxine (generic). The other weird thing is that I don't tolerate even the levothyroxine without being on a beta blocker. Otherwise, even though my numbers are good, I feel sweaty all the time and almost feel like I'm having tics whenever I try to talk to someone. So, anyway, it might be worth playing around with your thyroid meds some more if you have a doctor who is willing.

Lisa

for me, it was situational PLUS my vitamin D levels were low, I had an underactive thyroid, and I wasn't getting enough sleep or exercise. It took treating all of the above to get feeling better, and that includes prescription meds for the thyroid and the depression! I see no shame in taking meds. I used to be staunchly against them, but after a long time realized that sometimes prescription meds are just better! I did the St Johns Wort and fish oil...it wasn't enough.

Sometimes it's a chemical imbalance and talk-therapy -- nothing at all wrong with it -- won't change a thing.

Have you tried Welbutrin?

Getting out of depression isn't just for you -- it's for your family. And getting out of it when you are depressed is very difficult. Everything is easier when you feel good.

Good luck to you. :grouphug:

Alley

I haven't read the responses. But 1st :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Fish oil.

Exercise. Walk at least 10 min every single day.

Energy work!!!

Rescue Remedy. (I'm not well versed in homeopathy to know anything else that might help.)

I think St. John's Wort helps depression but I don't know the recommended amounts myself. A friend takes it.

You can talk to a naturopath, too, and see what they suggest. But if those don't work & you're still very depressed, I'd call a regular doc & look into standard medication.

:grouphug: I would find a good therapist and go. If I had suicidal thoughts or was becoming non functional in my day to day life, I would not hesitate to see a medical doctor and get some antidepressants. But it is a good choice to start with therapy. A good therapist can help you determine if your depression is such that you need to look for more help than therapy can provide.

I suffered from depression for a few years, but never brought it up to a dr. because I knew they'd put me on medication. I was on an antidepressant years ago for an anxiety thing and I did not like that experience.

I haven't found out yet if I can post this or not (I mentioned it on another thread), but there is a place around here that consults for hormone issues. What they do is free, testing is independent and costs a good bit (I paid $300 which was a LOT for me, but it was the best $300 I've spent in my life), and then after that it's prescription meds (compounded bioidentical hormone replacement creams) and otc vitamins and things. If you just google the happy hormone cottage in Dayton, OH you can look at their website. They seriously saved my life. If you think it could be hormone/thyroid related, get in touch with them. You can at least talk to them for free and decide not to do anything. If you can talk to Lyn, do that and tell her you're Tracie's friend.

I don't mean for this to be some advertisement. I just suffered and suffered for years (with other things than just depression) and never had a dr. listen to me or help me. This was the first person to say "Ok, something might be wrong. Let's find out!" I'm not exaggerating when I say they saved my life. I was so miserable at the point I finally found them I had decided it would be better to just go ahead and die than to face living the rest of my life feeling so bad. And since they will work over the phone, I at least throw the option out there in case someone needs them. If nothing else, their website has a lot of good info and resources to look through.

First of all, :grouphug: I am sorry you are struggling. I have struggled with depression for off/on close to 6 years now. It can be SO hard to find something that works because everyone is SO different!!

I wanted to recommend the book, The Depression Cure, to you. I am not against meds...in fact, I've been on lexapro for a few years now and it has been a LIFESAVER. However, there are side effects that are getting harder and harder for me to live with. So, I began searching out alternatives...this book is GREAT. It gives you 6 things to add to your life that will help without meds.

Also, St. John's Wort never worked for me. But 5HTP helped my BIL. And a high dose of a QUALITY fish oil has also helped me to a degree.

I hope you can find something that works for you!!

I second the recommendation for this book. Here's a link. It's helped me to get off antidepressants (which I had been taking for a long time.) Sometimes, though, I think meds are a good way to go just to get yourself back to a place where you can start working with yourself better. I hope you find a solution. A doctor is a good place to start.

:grouphug: and :grouphug: again. Kudos to you for asking the question.

Even if you don't want to get on meds yet, see a doctor to make sure something else isn't going on (like vitamin deficiency/thyroid/etc) and a therapist. Do something physical EVERY day even that is just walking outside for 15 minutes listening to your favorite tunes.

From someone who had PPD. I did use a low dose prescription for a time but I was easily able to come off it so don't be afraid to try it if you need it.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your thyroid causing a lot of this. Whenever my mom's sythroid dosages are off, she gets really tired, depressed, and angry. My dad can tell when she needs to get checked again by how she's acting.

SLEEP!

Whenever I start to feel depressed, sad , insecure--I take a nap. It makes all the difference. If you have been pushing through to gitter done, you may not recognize what tired is.

Then Exercise and laugh--fake it til you make it.;)

Go to the doctor.:) The dr can't work with you on your thyroid meds if you don't talk to him.

Edited by Rosyl

I suffered from depression for a few years, but never brought it up to a dr. because I knew they'd put me on medication. I was on an antidepressant years ago for an anxiety thing and I did not like that experience.

I haven't found out yet if I can post this or not (I mentioned it on another thread), but there is a place around here that consults for hormone issues. What they do is free, testing is independent and costs a good bit (I paid $300 which was a LOT for me, but it was the best $300 I've spent in my life), and then after that it's prescription meds (compounded bioidentical hormone replacement creams) and otc vitamins and things. If you just google the happy hormone cottage in Dayton, OH you can look at their website. They seriously saved my life. If you think it could be hormone/thyroid related, get in touch with them. You can at least talk to them for free and decide not to do anything. If you can talk to Lyn, do that and tell her you're Tracie's friend.

I don't mean for this to be some advertisement. I just suffered and suffered for years (with other things than just depression) and never had a dr. listen to me or help me. This was the first person to say "Ok, something might be wrong. Let's find out!" I'm not exaggerating when I say they saved my life. I was so miserable at the point I finally found them I had decided it would be better to just go ahead and die than to face living the rest of my life feeling so bad. And since they will work over the phone, I at least throw the option out there in case someone needs them. If nothing else, their website has a lot of good info and resources to look through.

I have a friend who has seen a doctor that does something similar to this I believe. I've considered it.

For the record I'm not against meds, just don't want a bandaid if it really stems from my thyroid issues. I'm just too emotional to make a decision right now about where to start. Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful advice. It means a lot that you would even take the time to respond. I need to feel good again. I haven't been me for 2 years now. Unbearable.

I would find a good chiropractor that can do some blood work. He/She will be able to go from there as far as what your body is possibly lacking. It would be helpful if they were familiar with and use NAET to treat you. Going through cancer and the treatment can totally mess your whole system up.

You may need calcium, Vit. D, Magnesium, Vit. C, Vit, A, the list goes on.

My Chiropractor treats with NAET and can run a blood panel that will tell what you are deficient in.

Personally, I don't condemn anyone who chooses to go on meds but I also know that they are not going to get to the core problem. Most meds treat the symptoms not the problem.

I agree with all the recommendations to get professional help. In the meantime, unless you have some medical reason to need to avoid caffeine, taurine, or B vitamins, try a Red Bull every other day. Sounds :001_huh: but seriously...it has helped people I know, and it helps me. I also am close to someone who was prescribed by a real psychiatrist...guess what..B vitamins and amino acids among other things (zinc and manganese) for treating pyroluria (which causes depression and mood swings). So some of what was prescribed by the doctor could actually be obtained by drinking the Red Bull. It might be worth a try while you look for professional assistance. You might also look for a doctor who can order the pyroluria test.

I have not yet had time to read all the replies. Much of this may be a repeat of what others have said. It may not even be useful or relevant to your situation. :confused:

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. :grouphug:

Here's some info I have.

All of us get depressed at times, such as when a good friend moves away or dies, or during the holidays when we’re alone. We may also get depressed from lack of sunlight during dark winter months or when we listen to the news.

Inactivity (watching TV, reading escape novels) and sugar (chocolate) are sure-fire ways of turning temporary blahs into chronic depression.

These 5 steps will help. If 5 steps are too many, just do the first one. It will help you move on to the rest.

Put a copy of these 5 steps on your fridge. Then you’ll know where to look when you’re down and can’t get up.

STEP ONE: KEEP MOVING

Regular exercise improves your mood as much as medication.

The last thing most of us want to do when we’re depressed is exercise. But it’s the most important step you can take. Force yourself to move. Within 20-30 minutes, you’ll have more energy and feel better emotionally.

Force yourself to get out and walk. If it’s still daylight, get up right now and walk just for 20 minutes. You need to exercise 4-5 times a week to beat off depression. Daily is even better.

STEP TWO: DON’T ISOLATE YOURSELF

When you’re depressed, it’s difficult to reach out to others. But that’s just what you need to do.

Stop making excuses. Your friends love you even when you’re feeling down. They want to help you as much as you want to help them when they’re in need.

Pick up the phone and make a date with a friend to get together. Have them over for a cup of coffee or tea if you can’t get out.

Look for activities that will distract you and take your mind off your problems. Arrange to go for a walk and exercise with a friend.

Reach out, even if you don’t feel like it.

If no one you know is available to get together, volunteer your services somewhere. Offer to help out one time for just a few hours. If you like it, do it regularly. You’ll meet new people and feel better being around others.

STEP THREE: EAT HEALTHY FOODS

Some foods will add to your depression. Others have the opposite effect. For instance, it’s important to get enough protein – as much as 15-20 grams with each meal. You need protein to help make mood-regulating chemicals. Protein also keeps your blood sugar from dropping. Low blood sugar can cause fatigue and temporary depression.

Avoid any foods that trigger a low-blood-sugar response, such as sugar (honey, pure cane sugar juice, etc.), alcohol, fruit juices, and high quantities of refined carbohydrates (bread, crackers, white rice).

Get junk foods out of the house today.

When you want something sweet, eat a piece of fruit.

Eat small amounts of unrefined carbohydrates such as beans, fresh fruit, and brown rice. They help your brain release serotonin. Half a cup of a starch, such as brown rice or one piece of fruit, is a reasonably small amount.

Make eating good foods easy by planning in advance. Buy healthy frozen meals, especially those that are organic.

Get pre-washed, pre-cut salad greens and vegetables to either eat raw or to sauté with your entrée.

Have some bean dip on hand to eat for a meal or as a snack with carrots and celery.

Buy healthy prepared soups, either dried, frozen, or in boxes.

STEP FOUR: USE SUPPLEMENTS

St. John’s Wort is the most popular and well-studied herb for minor and moderate depression. It has been tested head-to-head with Prozac. It often works just as well as Prozac with fewer side effects.

One reason it works so well is because of its side effect. It causes photosensitivity. Bright light therapy helps reduce depression. By increasing your sensitivity to light, St. John’s Wort magnifies the effects of normal light. It acts just like you’re being exposed to continuous light therapy.

The daily dosage varies from 300-1000 mg a day.

Try it for at least a month.

One warning: St. John’s Wort can reduce the effectiveness of some medications. If you take any drugs at all, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this herb.

Raises serotonin levels

Helps relieve chronic insomnia

Helps relieve mild depression – especially if you’re healthy and not taking other medications.

May help relieve panic attacks – when taken 2-3 times a day

Because this herb can sensitize the skin to sunlight, take it in the evening after the sun has set.

5-HTP

Helps with:

• Sleep problems – quality and duration

• Emotional eating and evening cravings – helps suppress appetite

• Anxiety and depression as it increases serotonin levels

• Melatonin production

• Serotonin production

Best if taken sublingually - opening the capsule and pouring the contents on your tongue.

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking it.

No more than about 3 capsules a day – can safely take up to 400 mg per day – although most need less.

Loses its efficacy if taken every single day – best if you take breaks – sometimes alternating days – and sometimes take a break for an entire month or so

It may take 1-2 weeks to notice any effects and up to 6 weeks to notice the full benefits.

Be cautious about taking this if you’re on anti-depressants

STEP FIVE: USE AROMATHERAPY TO HEAL

Essential oils are never used topically. Never take them internally unless you are under the care of health care practitioner skilled in using them. However, you can safely rub a few drops on your wrist, put them in your bath, or add them to oil and give your hands and feet an aromatherapy massage.

Use only pure essential oils. Synthetic ones won’t work as well.

Lavender is known for its ability to lift depression. It relaxes, stimulates, calms, and invigorates.

Ravensera is energizing and uplifting. It helps relieve chronic depression and promotes energy and mental clarity.

Bitter Orange helps lift anxiety, depression, nervousness, and insomnia.

Patchouli calms the nerves, improves concentration, and lifts depression.

REMEMBER THAT: Everything changes. Today’s depression will turn into tomorrow’s peacefulness and joy if you’ll allow it. Concentrate on everything you have rather than what you don’t have. Appreciate each little blessing. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: