Menu

I love my average kid

Because so-called gifted kids get most of the glory already, I'd like to state publicly that I LOVE MY AVERAGE, NON-ACCELERATED KID.

She's athletic, funny, creative and bright. And she works on grade level or, sometimes, slightly below. Whatever. She's awesome and is going to go places in this world. :D I'm so proud to be her mom.

Because so-called gifted kids get most of the glory already, I'd like to state publicly that I LOVE MY AVERAGE, NON-ACCELERATED KID.

She's athletic, funny, creative and bright. And she works on grade level or, sometimes, slightly below. Whatever. She's awesome and is going to go places in this world. :D I'm so proud to be her mom.

:iagree: Me to! My kids are amazing! They are grade level workers (Except ds who is autistic who has a phenomenal sense of numbers) but my kids work hard. They do what they have to to learn what they have to! I slow them down when needed and it works just fine! My kids are awesome!

I have one, too!! :001_smile:

Julie

There are people who seem to think that all home schooled kids are advanced, and since mine are not then I must be doing something wrong.

This. My dc are basically average. With 6, I run the spectrum but they are all amazing!!!!! They make me laugh. They make my heart sing. I am proud to be their mom!

I was looking for the "like" button. But never mind, I went out and found one. facebook-like-button.jpg

Ummmm, why WOULDN'T you love your kid regardless of how they do academically?

I think it's kind of insulting to use the term 'so-called gifted kids'. I would have :D at your post if you had left that part out.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I think it's kind of insulting to use the term 'so-called gifted kids'. I would have :D at your post if you had left that part out.

I agree. My 'average' son with some learning struggles is the joy of my heart. My 'gifted' son is not 'so-called' and is also my beloved child.

Lift one without stepping on the other, okay?

Yep.

I've never understood why it's necessary to compare children in order to feel proud of yours.

C'mon. Seriously? Of course I love both my kids. You're missing the point.

I was a so-called gifted kid. So was my DH (actual he was considered profoundly gifted). So is my younger DD. I have issues with that label. I prefer "academically accelerated." I think it's a MUCH better descriptor. Gifted is too ambiguous a term.

I think my older DD (the "average" kid), works harder for the same results that her accelerated younger sister achieves with ease. I am in awe of her perseverance. She's "gifted" in perseverance. :)

And, I hear parents *all the time* speak, with awe in their voices, about their 3rd grader reading at an 8th grade level or doing algebra or whatever. I think that's cool, too. But, I think it's high time we sing the praises of the *average* kid who usually needs to work harder and longer for a similar outcome.

BOO-YAH! Go "100 IQ'ers" of the world!!! :D

Yep.

I've never understood why it's necessary to compare children in order to feel proud of yours.

I have both an academically accelerated child and a typical kid. The accelerated child gets "oohs and ahs" all the time when people find out some of her academic achievements.

My "average" DD gets nothing much from the rest of the world. She doesn't stand out (to others). I just feel like offering a little public praise to her. That's all.

We think both DDs are the cats meow.

Please stop reading too much into my OP. I've been around this forum a long time. Give me the benefit of the doubt, ok?

I have issues with that label. I prefer "academically accelerated." I think it's a MUCH better descriptor. Gifted is too ambiguous a term.

It's different, though.

"Academically accelerated" is something you do, while "gifted" is something you are.

It's possible to be gifted and not accelerated, and it's equally possible to be accelerated and not gifted. The terms are not equivalent.

I just hate these threads. Those of us who have kids who are really different from the norm are, apparently, not allowed to talk about them for fear of making someone else feel badly. I don't get it. If your child won a baseball game, it would be fine to brag. If your daughter placed second in a beauty contest, it would be societally acceptable to tell the world about it.

But have a kid who's intellectually gifted and/or academically accelerated, and we're supposed to hide.

Sigh.

I too am proud of my average kids, all three of them. I am especially proud of my oldest son for his wonderful, loving, and sweet nature. I am especially proud of my youngest for his amazing energy and willingness to try anything. My dd is especially dear to me because although she works on grade level for many things reading has been an almost impossible mountain for her to climb. She's just reading Magic Tree House and it's slow going, takes her about a month to get through one because 2 pages takes her about 45 minutes to read. This girl has an amazing memory for science though and loves any animal that crosses her path.

I was unbelievably proud of her today because it was the Reading Comprehension part of standardized testing today and although it was really hard because she had to read it all herself she did her best. She sobbed at the end because she only completed 1 out of the 3 readings and question sets in the time alloted but I was so proud of her because she gave it all she had. After the test I just cuddled her and told her she was amazing.

It's different, though.

"Academically accelerated" is something you do, while "gifted" is something you are.

It's possible to be gifted and not accelerated, and it's equally possible to be accelerated and not gifted. The terms are not equivalent.

I just hate these threads. Those of us who have kids who are really different from the norm are, apparently, not allowed to talk about them for fear of making someone else feel badly. I don't get it. If your child won a baseball game, it would be fine to brag. If your daughter placed second in a beauty contest, it would be societally acceptable to tell the world about it.

But have a kid who's intellectually gifted and/or academically accelerated, and we're supposed to hide.

Sigh.

This is a great discussion for a spin-off. I'll weigh in on that thread.

I think all children need to hear someone sing their praises now and then:001_smile:. That said, I do sort of see where the other posters are coming from. There really isn't a need to compare.

I'm a member of another message board with threads that get downright nasty at times about all the "so-called" gifted kids out there. I don't post much on those threads becaue I do have one of those kids. She also struggles with ADHD and poor handwriting skills, and we deal with it all the best we can. But threads like these make me wonder if it is even o.k. to be proud of her academic achievements in public, or at least on a public message board. Why is it a positive thing to be proud of your child's tenacity and perseverance, but it's called bragging if you are proud of your child's reading level or advanced math skills?

But others have.

And, as I recall, it pretty much always deteriorates into hurt feelings on both sides.

I'm bowing out now.

Good. Let's just let this thread die. :(

It was started with great intentions and degenerated into... this.

Sheesh. I wasn't trying to insult YOUR (general you) kid by sharing how proud I am of MY kid.

I feel so disappointed right now. Seriously, deeply disappointed.

Sheesh. I wasn't trying to insult YOUR (general you) kid by sharing how proud I am of MY kid.

Please don't be disappointe!You have every right to be proud of your daughter. I know that my perception has been colored by things I've seen written elsewhere about "gifted" children.

C'mon. Seriously? Of course I love both my kids. You're missing the point.

I was a so-called gifted kid. So was my DH (actual he was considered profoundly gifted). So is my younger DD. I have issues with that label. I prefer "academically accelerated." I think it's a MUCH better descriptor. Gifted is too ambiguous a term.

I think my older DD (the "average" kid), works harder for the same results that her accelerated younger sister achieves with ease. I am in awe of her perseverance. She's "gifted" in perseverance. :)

And, I hear parents *all the time* speak, with awe in their voices, about their 3rd grader reading at an 8th grade level or doing algebra or whatever. I think that's cool, too. But, I think it's high time we sing the praises of the *average* kid who usually needs to work harder and longer for a similar outcome.

BOO-YAH! Go "100 IQ'ers" of the world!!! :D

No, I am not missing your point. I got it exactly, and I still think there's no need to put down others and compare in order to love and appreciate your kids, wherever they are in life.

I think all children need to hear someone sing their praises now and then:001_smile:. That said, I do sort of see where the other posters are coming from. There really isn't a need to compare.

I'm a member of another message board with threads that get downright nasty at times about all the "so-called" gifted kids out there. I don't post much on those threads becaue I do have one of those kids. She also struggles with ADHD and poor handwriting skills, and we deal with it all the best we can. But threads like these make me wonder if it is even o.k. to be proud of her academic achievements in public, or at least on a public message board. Why is it a positive thing to be proud of your child's tenacity and perseverance, but it's called bragging if you are proud of your child's reading level or advanced math skills?

It's not wrong. At least, I don't think it is.

I hate the term gifted. Hate it with a glowing, white-hot passion. It's non-specific and the opposite is non-gifted. HUH? My typical kid has many "gifts" - they just don't show up on an IQ test. A better label is needed (if we need to label at all). .

Like I said, I'm "gifted." My husband is ridiculously "gifted," so is my younger DD. Older DD is more typical and offers the world countless gifts... but is non-gifted. It makes no sense.

"Gifted" is a stupid way to describe an important neurological difference. That's ALL I meant by "so-called gifted." I wasn't insulting myself, my husband, my younger DD and certainly not anyone else's kid.

Leaving for the afternoon. Probably a good thing to shut up now before I manage to inadvertently insult someone else.

No, I am not missing your point. I got it exactly, and I still think there's no need to put down others and compare in order to love and appreciate your kids, wherever they are in life.

I wasn't putting down ANYONE. You chose to read it as an insult toward kids who are labeled as "gifted" (we need a better term). I clarified. Persist in misunderstanding me if you must, but at this point it's all on you.

I have both an academically accelerated child and a typical kid. The accelerated child gets "oohs and ahs" all the time when people find out some of her academic achievements.

My "average" DD gets nothing much from the rest of the world. She doesn't stand out (to others). I just feel like offering a little public praise to her. That's all.

We think both DDs are the cats meow.

Please stop reading too much into my OP. I've been around this forum a long time. Give me the benefit of the doubt, ok?

See, this is where people's perception and reality color their thinking. In my case, my academically gifted DD doesn't get the Oooh's and Ahhh's because she has a difficult time with ADHD. What we hear are comments about how energetic she is, as though that negates any real abilities she does have.

Imagine if I started a thread about "so-called" autistic kids or "so-called" adhd kids or "so-called" dyslexic kids. Using the phrase "so-called" carries deeper meaning and is insulting to parents of those kids who are "so-called".

Something just occurred to me. If you read the OP and don't know me (and most of you don't) you don't necessarily understand my hatred of the term gifted. So, I say "so-called gifted" because I can't stand that term. I have NO issue with "gifted" kids (again - I have one). Please don't construe my disgust with the TERM "gifted" as me trying to insult or "push down" other kids. Not my intention and NOT how I feel. And I believe that "the thing which we generally call giftedness" exists. I just don't like that word.

Imagine if I started a thread about "so-called" autistic kids or "so-called" adhd kids or "so-called" dyslexic kids. Using the phrase "so-called" carries deeper meaning and is insulting to parents of those kids who are "so-called".

Point taken. See what I just posted to understand what I meant and the POV I'm coming from.

I don't know what the big deal is. I have a gifted child, too. It didn't bother me. I think people are too quick to get offended.

OP - :grouphug: Realize that some people actually *do* sit around looking for something to "jump" on. They look to be offended or "take issue" with anything, anything at all.

The reality is, people are here ALL THE TIME bragging about their 4 year old doing college level studies. It actually does get tedious, especially when done in the light of "Oh, woe is me, I am so tired of people commenting on my dc's brilliance. It is *such* a cross to bear." Whateva!!

I'm not comparing any of my dc. I have one, maybe two, accelarated dc. I have 2 with learning issues and autism. I have one who is lazy. :( I love all of them with all of my heart!!! And I am proud of all of them!! They are all gifted in something, music, sports, compassion...

Brag away and I will with you. Bragging about my average dc isn't comparing to anyone else's child. :glare:

The reality is, people are here ALL THE TIME bragging about their 4 year old doing college level studies. It actually does get tedious, especially when done in the light of "Oh, woe is me, I am so tired of people commenting on my dc's brilliance. It is *such* a cross to bear." Whateva!!

Ok, this is getting ugly.

I think I'll go find a math thread to post on. Then maybe I'll look at some kilts :lol:

Something just occurred to me. If you read the OP and don't know me (and most of you don't) you don't necessarily understand my hatred of the term gifted. So, I say "so-called gifted" because I can't stand that term. I have NO issue with "gifted" kids (again - I have one). Please don't construe my disgust with the TERM "gifted" as me trying to insult or "push down" other kids. Not my intention and NOT how I feel. And I believe that "the thing which we generally call giftedness" exists. I just don't like that word.

This seriously amused me :lol:.

:grouphug: I don't know what my kids are (other than boys, and yes, we've told them they're boys ;)), and I love them as well :001_smile:.

It's not wrong. At least, I don't think it is.

I hate the term gifted. Hate it with a glowing, white-hot passion. It's non-specific and the opposite is non-gifted. HUH? My typical kid has many "gifts" - they just don't show up on an IQ test. A better label is needed (if we need to label at all). .

Like I said, I'm "gifted." My husband is ridiculously "gifted," so is my younger DD. Older DD is more typical and offers the world countless gifts... but is non-gifted. It makes no sense.

"Gifted" is a stupid way to describe an important neurological difference. That's ALL I meant by "so-called gifted." I wasn't insulting myself, my husband, my younger DD and certainly not anyone else's kid.

Leaving for the afternoon. Probably a good thing to shut up now before I manage to inadvertently insult someone else.

Ah. I see. That makes sense. At this point, I don't think anybody likes the term.

Fwiw, I've never seen a gifted kid get any glory irl. Academically accelerated? Sometimes they do, but more often if they're not gifted. Thus hitting an extremely sore spot for some.

This is a little off-topic, but for an at-or-slightly-below-grade level performer in a family with otherwise high IQs, I'd seriously consider ruling out LDs, if you haven't already gone down that road. Just throwing that out there.

I took the "so-called gifted kids" comment to mean that the general public seems to think that gifted kids are "super kids" all around. While they may be academically advanced, they are not any more of a "gift" to their parents than non-accelerated children. It's often remarked on the WTM that gifted children have their own special needs.

I don't know what the big deal is. I have a gifted child, too. It didn't bother me. I think people are too quick to get offended.

So would it offend you if I started a thread about so-called adhd kids?

I only posted because my heart aches for some of the Moms here of profoundly gifted kids who have to defend their child and their parenting and their abilities. They have a difficult role as parents, and people tend to dismiss the struggles because it's a "good thing".

Off on a tangent here, but at my son's junior high school, the kids who achieve academically are never acknowledged. No honor roll, no congrats for some kid who won an academic contest. The powers-that-be don't want to make the other kids feel bad. I'm surprised they bother to even grade things.

Athletics are a different story.

So would it offend you if I started a thread about so-called adhd kids?

I only posted because my heart aches for some of the Moms here of profoundly gifted kids who have to defend their child and their parenting and their abilities. They have a difficult role as parents, and people tend to dismiss the struggles because it's a "good thing".

No. I think she was just posting about her average kid. A lot of time gifted kids are oohed and ahhed over. I haven't felt the need to defend either on this board. I just don't care what others thinks about my adhd or gifted kid. :confused:

Off on a tangent here, but at my son's junior high school, the kids who achieve academically are never acknowledged. No honor roll, no congrats for some kid who won an academic contest. The powers-that-be don't want to make the other kids feel bad. I'm surprised they bother to even grade things.

Athletics are a different story.

Really? Here they have great banquets for honor roll and such, and I think they should. They also have banquets for the sports teams.

I took the "so-called gifted kids" comment to mean that the general public seems to think that gifted kids are "super kids" all around. While they may be academically advanced, they are not any more of a "gift" to their parents than non-accelerated children. It's often remarked on the WTM that gifted children have their own special needs.

Nice comment.

Really? Here they have great banquets for honor roll and such, and I think they should. They also have banquets for the sports teams.

Yes, unfortunately it's true, and I know for a fact that this is fairly common in many schools, not just ours.