Menu

If you could pick your top 3 read aloud chapter books....

Stone Fox

The Great Turkey Walk

Chronicles of Narnia

Sign of the Beaver

Cheaper by the Dozen

Little Britches

David Copperfield

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Journey Through the Night by Anne DeVries

The Shadow Series, by Piet Prins

In Grandma's Attic

Wait! You only wanted three? I just can't stop once I get going....

Sherwood Ring was the favorite readaloud of all time for all three of my girls. They ranged in age from 7yo to 12yo when I read it to them.

Monsoon Summer was another huge favorite.

Aside from those, I'd recommend Harry Potter, Half-blood Camp books by Rick Riordan, the new Half-blood series by Rick Riordan, the new Kane chronicles series by Rick Riordan, Alex Rider series by Horowitz. I know I could name a lot more, but these are the favorites. The Hunger Games series is excellent, but I sure wouldn't go there with a 4yo or even an 8yo.

For your 4yo, I highly suggest:

My Father's Dragon

Boxcar Children series (Book 1 is not my favorite, but you kind of need to read it to read the rest. The other books are fabulous and have lots of great nature study in there!)

Dolphin Adventure (I brought this on vacation to Sea World because I thought it would be great to read that week. We had to read this in one night because DS5 and DS3 wouldn't let me stop).

My first picks were already listed, so here are others:

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (by the same author that wrote Desperaux) - the only children's book that's ever made me cry

Nurse Matilda

And Ariel's favorite read-aloud of all time: Black Beauty

Guest flyeagle

As a family we recently enjoyed:

Alice in Wonderland

Old Yeller

and Gregor the Overlander (series by the same author as Hunger Games, less intense)

Amber

ds-7 (almost 8) dd-2 (almost 3) dd-1

That kind of age range is more difficult to find appropriate books for the 4- year old yet interesting enough to hold the attention of the 12-year old, but some of the books listed are great, so I'll just add the Oz series, From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, any of the Roald Dahl books because the dark humor of some of the books may be unnoticed by little one, but will be enjoyed by the 12-year old, maybe Grimm's Fairy Tales, and The Search for Wondla (author of Spiderwick Chronicles, which could be enjoyed with that age range).

Could you let us know later which ones you chose and if your kids enjoyed them? We're huge audiobook/read-aloud fans so I'm always interested to see what books resonate with kids.