Menu

Heading to Oregon coast, suggestions?

We're going to Oregon in a few days, I am open for suggestions for places to hit. We are studying Life this spring and I simply googled "tidepools usa" and Oregon came up repeatedly. We want to see ocean and shore life. We're already familiar with Midwest, mountains, Florida, so I thought Oregon might be fun to visit. We're also thinking of moving there in a few years.

So far we plan to go to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. We want to go to Depoe Bay and go on a charter boat to hopefully see whales. On our way back we'll hit Crater Lake National Park.

Ideas?

My in-laws live in Newport so we've spent some time in the area. There is a beach about 10 minutes south of Newport called Seal Rock. If the tide is right there are some great tide pools there. And when you're done, there's a wonderful ice cream/candy shop close by. :D

Cape Perpetua has some of the best tide pools.

Are you flying into Portland? There is OMSI Oregon Museum of science and industry. We Oregonians love OMSI. Also, not exactly science related (although you can look at plants) We have a chinese classical garden, and Japanese gardens. If you could only do one I would do the Japanese gardens as they are on a hill and overlook Portland, with a great view of Mt. Hood. I believe on a clear day you can also see St. Helens from the Gardens. The mountains are different out here. I used to live in Boulder, and the Rockies are just this big mass of peaks all together. The cascades are all spread out with just single mountains popping out of the landscape.

Okay, back to the coast. I haven't tried to do this as a homschooler yet, but when I was a kid on an OMSI camp, they got us into the Hatfield Marine Science center in Newport. It was really cool, I would look into it. Also, while in Newport go into old town. There is a really nice Wyland mural of Grey whales and eat at Mo's chowder house. They are all up and down the Oregon coast, but the one in Newport is the original one that Paul Newman ate and loved while he was filming a movie in Oregon. Part of any trip to the beach has to include a Mo's. Another food thing to try in Burgerville. It one the Food magazines best burger. It also has the best milkshakes. They have tried to get them to franchise out of state, but they won't as they would have to compromise quality. It is all fresh local food.

Depot bay is great for whale watching, but also head out to Yaquina Head lighthouse, the whales come really close into shore there.

How long are you in Oregon for? It is a big state and I don't want to recommend to much. I love it here! Write here or PM if you have any questions.

Cannon Beach has great tide pools around Haystack Rock if you can get there around low tide. They always have volunteers there to help point out and identify sea life and make sure no one steps or takes anything (it's a protected area).

You can also get on one of the Whale boats in Newport (where the aquarium is located). There are a lot of fun little shops in Newport as well as the Oregon Undersea Garden (which is NOT spectacular but is interesting). There's also the wax museum and Ripley's Believe it or Not. These are all within walking distance of each other on the same street. Also you can view the Sea Lions here as well. Although, be prepared that there are some that look a little sad. Very interesting though. Just listen for them to find them. :D There is also a very small "shopping/restaurant area" near the aquarium. It is RIGHT before the aquarium. The building looks like a pirate ship. The restaurant is a complete dive, but if you like tuna melts, they have the best one I have EVER had. Also, if you walk behind the restaurant, there is a small street of little shops that have neat pirate statues that are really great for very interesting pictures.

Another really fun trip is to the Yaquina Light house. You get to go in and all the way to the top.

http://www.yaquinalights.org/

Lincoln City has the best playground area near Devil's Lake.

Here's a random youtube video that shows a bit of it.

You should of course eat clam chowder at Mo's, although my husband doesn't like it, it's pretty famous. I like the one in Lincoln City.

There are some really great candy shops in Depoe Bay (one of them has fudge to die for) and in Lincoln City as well. The salt water taffy made at these shops is PERFECT to take home for gifts for friends and family.

I wish I knew you were coming earlier, we would have LOVED to meet up for tide pooling, etc.

If you want even more ideas for areas off the beaten path, check out this blog. You might even want to email here to ask for suggestions. I'm guessing she is an expert on the areas to go to for the best learning experiences.

http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com/

If you click this link, you can see a few of the photos from the pirate statues. There are several more as well.

http://www.whispersprings.com/homeschooling/recent-photos/

ETA: The ice cream shop across the street from Mo's in Lincoln City is really great!!

Edited by Cindyz

Cannon Beach has great tide pools around Haystack Rock if you can get there around low tide. They always have volunteers there to help point out and identify sea life and make sure no one steps or takes anything (it's a protected area).

:iagree:

Are you flying into Portland? There is OMSI Oregon Museum of science and industry. We Oregonians love OMSI. Also, not exactly science related (although you can look at plants) We have a chinese classical garden, and Japanese gardens. If you could only do one I would do the Japanese gardens as they are on a hill and overlook Portland, with a great view of Mt. Hood. I believe on a clear day you can also see St. Helens from the Gardens. The mountains are different out here. I used to live in Boulder, and the Rockies are just this big mass of peaks all together. The cascades are all spread out with just single mountains popping out of the landscape.

I DEFINITELY agree with this. If you can make it to OMSI for the day you will have a great time. it's a very hands on science museum. It's only about an hour and a half or so from the coast.

How long and how far are you going? The entire coast line is beautiful. If your going to the northern coast check out Seaside, Astoria, and Cannon Beach. You can also visit the Lewis and clark fort outside seaside. Fort Clatsop. The Aquarium in Newport is nice, but the beach there isn't my favorite. If your headed further south be sure to Hit Charleston it is west of Coos Bay. They have a beautiful garden there, and Bastendorf beach is a favorite of ours. There is also an excellent tide pool up the road from the gardens. Jedediah Smith State park is gorgeous too. If you are interested in camping we like Bastendorf and Harris Beach State park. Harris beach is by Brookings and a short drive to the red woods. Camping in Oregon is cheaper in Oregon than California. If you want anymore info I probably could answer I have lived in Oregon my entire life and have been to pretty much every beach.

Nice town. Lovely beaches. We went there for a reuniuon when the kids were little and even toured the cheese factory. Very Cool!

Sadly the Bandon cheese factory has been torn down. Tillamook bought it out and leveled it. Bandon is a cute little town though and Face Rock is neat.

we LOVE Umpqua SP. Where the Sand Dunes meet the ocean.

Many SP in OR have yurts you can rent inexpensively. So camping without hauling the gear. Tend to be booked ahead, tho.

OT: if you're in CO late May/early June the Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument is awesome -- 6" deep creek flowing thru surreal sand dunes; great kid-friendly hikes. When we lived in CO we went there 4x a year in the Spring.

a few more thoughts..

If you go to OMSI be sure to go to the planetarium and see an IMAX movie as well.

There are lots of kite shops. Get a great kite and fly one on the beach...so fun!

Remember that the beaches aren't always very warm and can be very windy so pack some hooded sweat shirts especially for Satori.

You can learn to blow a glass float at this glass studio in Lincoln City.

http://www.oregoncoast.org/foundry/index.php

I'm not sure how long you are going to be in the area, but the wonderful Portland Rose Festival is about to start up. There are various parades, shows and other fun. We enjoy fleet week and the dragon boat races and Griffin loves going into the big ships.

http://www.rosefestival.org/

I love Oswald West State Park (closer to Cannon Beach). It has a nice trail through the forest to get to the beach.

In Lincoln City, there is a restaurant called Dory Cove. My dad and I used to eat there every time we'd go out to the coast. I absolutely love their clam chowder.

I also loved the Devil's Punchbowl when I was a kid. I haven't been there in ages. My dad never understood why I liked it, but he'd suffer and take me there. :D

We're driving into Portland arriving late on Sunday, staying the night, and the next two nights in Newport. Then we head south from there along the coast. We'll be staying inland from then on and driving home Friday.

What a challenge to pick and choose from everything you all suggested in our short time. But if we move there, it's good to know there's tons of stuff to do there! I think Cindy's pictures on her blog planted the idea in my mind that I'd like to move to Oregon someday. :)

The weather prediction looks a bit chilly, so we're packing warm clothes. We recently got a foot of snow here though, so we're looking forward to no snow!

OR coast is almost always chilly :) Take it from me, we had a beach house in Lincoln City growing up in the Portland area. It can be a hot day but the wind will be freezing.

To add to the above wonderful posts:

Tillamook Cheese Factory (further north than Newport though)

Devil's Punch Bowl is a quick side stop on the drive down 101 but really cool to see how it was formed, you can jump out see it and get back in car in twenty min tops http://www.directoryofhamilton.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/devils-punch-bowl.jpg

Sea Lion Caves are really cool for kids but a little spendy I think

Hatfield Marine Science Center isn't too far from the main aquarium but also really cool and a little different. I think it is still run by OSU, used to be free. They have a website you can check out. http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor/

Love eating at Mo's

Depoe Bay is fun to walk around and has really good candy!

Of course History-wise there is tons. If you are driving down 101 you will see lots of signs and pull outs for famous capes and lighthouses. My kids love them all :)

ETA Saw you are staying in Newport 2 nights. The wax museum and undersea gardens are favorites of my kids also.

We're driving into Portland arriving late on Sunday, staying the night, and the next two nights in Newport. Then we head south from there along the coast. We'll be staying inland from then on and driving home Friday.

What a challenge to pick and choose from everything you all suggested in our short time. But if we move there, it's good to know there's tons of stuff to do there! I think Cindy's pictures on her blog planted the idea in my mind that I'd like to move to Oregon someday. :)

The weather prediction looks a bit chilly, so we're packing warm clothes. We recently got a foot of snow here though, so we're looking forward to no snow!

No matter how cold you think the Oregon coast will be, it will be colder. :D

I love the tide pools around Newport. Devil's Punch Bowl is a cool place to visit and there is a Mo's there with [according to my dd and dn] the best clam chowder bread bowl.

Where inland were you looking to head? We live in Salem with is about 50 minutes east of Newport. Silver Falls State Park is near here and pretty neat. Or you could go to the Oregon Gardens [kinda pricy, but neat gardens].

The drive is tough. I've done it before. [Portland to Steam Boat Springs] You may need a day to recover from it.

The weather prediction looks a bit chilly, so we're packing warm clothes.

Definitely pack cool weather clothes, and maybe a warm(ish) weather outfit or two. The weather at the coast is really unpredictable. It can be gorgeous and warm a few miles inland, and foggy, windy and cold on the beach. And some days the weather is amazing, warm and sunny, right on the beach.

If you like hiking, you might want to check out this site:

http://www.oregonhiking.com/hiking/coast/

and this one.

If you can stop at Heceta Head Lighthouse (Devil's Elbow is the name of the park, I think), do. The beach is fairly protected from the wind, with tidepools and caves accessible at very low tide, a great beach to play on, access to a creek to wade in too, and a short hike up to the lighthouse. There's a great view down the coast from the lighthouse lawn and the lighthouse tour is quick and interesting. We were fascinated by the lighthouse lens. Up close it is stunningly beautiful.

Have fun! There are so many things to see and do on the Oregon Coast!

Cat

I second the Tillamook Cheese Factory (further north than Newport though) free and very interesting.

I second and third the Hatfield Marine Science Center - our favorite and it's free(donations accepted) http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor/

Depoe Bay has a great whale watching center(also free) and they have like a scavenger hunt for the kids through the different "exhibits". No live animals but skeltons and the like.

Love Ft. Clapsop http://www.nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/fortclatsop.htm

If you get down as far as Bandon.. there is the West Coast Game Safari. Lots of petting opportunities(I think we got to pet a bear). http://www.gameparksafari.com/

Farther inland.. in Winston(you'll see signs for Roseburg which is the "large" town right by Winston) is the Wildlife Safari. It is very, very cool drive through(think giraffes looking in your car windows!) and has a walk through village also. http://www.wildlifesafari.net/ One neat thing about the WS is that they allow the animals to breed so in the spring/early summer there are always baby animals gadding about. Baby zebras are so very cute!

We are headed to Depoe Bay for Sunday and Monday nights.. maybe we'll see you at the aquarium.. I'll be the crazy lady staring at you trying to figure out if I know you.. LOL

We're going to Oregon in a few days, I am open for suggestions for places to hit. We are studying Life this spring and I simply googled "tidepools usa" and Oregon came up repeatedly. We want to see ocean and shore life. We're already familiar with Midwest, mountains, Florida, so I thought Oregon might be fun to visit. We're also thinking of moving there in a few years.

So far we plan to go to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. We want to go to Depoe Bay and go on a charter boat to hopefully see whales. On our way back we'll hit Crater Lake National Park.

Ideas?

If you like children's museums, the one in Medford (just SW of Crater Lake on I 5) is very nice.

I second the Tillamook Cheese Factory (further north than Newport though) free and very interesting.

I second and third the Hatfield Marine Science Center - our favorite and it's free(donations accepted) http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor/

Depoe Bay has a great whale watching center(also free) and they have like a scavenger hunt for the kids through the different "exhibits". No live animals but skeltons and the like.

Love Ft. Clapsop http://www.nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/fortclatsop.htm

If you get down as far as Bandon.. there is the West Coast Game Safari. Lots of petting opportunities(I think we got to pet a bear). http://www.gameparksafari.com/

Farther inland.. in Winston(you'll see signs for Roseburg which is the "large" town right by Winston) is the Wildlife Safari. It is very, very cool drive through(think giraffes looking in your car windows!) and has a walk through village also. http://www.wildlifesafari.net/ One neat thing about the WS is that they allow the animals to breed so in the spring/early summer there are always baby animals gadding about. Baby zebras are so very cute!

I agree with all of these suggestions, and for all the rest for that matter. I grew up in Winston before moving to the Portland Metro area right out of high school. The Safari is something you won't want to miss, and Portland is just the best little city!

The Oregon coast is incredibly beautiful -- you are going to love it! When you come back for a longer stay, I highly recommend that you plan a vacation that starts on the northern coast at Astoria and works all the way down to the southern coast to California. There is so much variation along the coast as you move along on Hwy. 101. You'll be thrilled each step of the way, thinking it's the most beautiful beach and view of the ocean until you come to the next one that is even more beautiful. By the time you get down past Bandon, you will see breathtaking beauty as the rock formations become much more dramatic. The southern coast is probably my favorite, but then again it's all pretty amazing. I am a native Oregonian and have cherished the beauty of our coastline all my life. You are in for a real treat!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I second, third and fourth all of the above suggestions. You can't go wrong at the Oregon beach or in Portland. I am a native and I still haven't hit everything I want to. We just went on a day trip to Silver Creek Falls (I live 15 minutes away) to finish up our tree studies unit.

One major thing to remember about weather is that typically it is windy at the beach. In the morning, if it is decent weather, it won't be too windy but by mid-afternoon you will need to hold onto your hats. One of our favorite sayings here is that if you don't like the weather in Oregon, wait five minutes because it will change.

Above all, have fun!

Since you'll be in Newport, a smaller marine science museum that we always visit is the Hatfield Marine Science Center. In some ways we like it better than the Aquarium that you're planning on visiting. First, it's free. They have some outstanding touch pools. It's smaller, and we can usually see the whole thing in an hour. It is never crowded. It's right in Newport, just over the bridge going south and kind of tucked back there but I think there are signs. Be sure to call ahead to find out when they will be feeding the octopus. Here's the web site: http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor/

Another thing we like to do is watch the sea lions in Newport. Go to the old fishing bay section of town where the tourist traps are (Ripley's Believe it or Not museum) and just past a seafood factory there are several amazing huge sea lions that lounge around below the piers, slipping in and out of the water and groaning/barking. Bring your camera!

If you have a kite, bring it. They're pretty fun to fly on the beach and it's always windy. I think you've got the right idea by bringing warm clothing - in the many times we have visited, it has never been warm. Often it is rainy and the wind on the beach can be strong. Hope you have fun!

Just down the road from the aquarium is the Rogue Brewery. It's our favorite restaurant in Newport. You can get a good price on cases of beer during their sales. There is also a Rogue Brewery restaurant on the waterfront, if you prefer a quieter place to eat.

If you like seafood, Mo's in Lincoln City is just up Hwy. 101 from Newport. It's casual (picnic tables) but supposedly has the best seafood. I wouldn't know because I think shellfish is gross. :) Lincoln City also has the Inn at Spanish Head, which has a nice restaurant, Fathoms. We go to Lincoln City a few times a year, but usually make our own food, so that's about all I've got.

Back in Newport, there are a couple fun/cheesy places for kids on the waterfront - Ripley's Believe It or Not, and the undersea garden (not sure of the name).

Tillamook is a couple hours north of Newport on 101. They have a huge dairy cooperative and make delicious cheese, butter, and ice cream (99% of the time that's the brand we buy). They used to do a factory tour, but it's now done by wandering around to watch videos and looking down at the factory floor. I wouldn't make the drive just for the cheese factory, but if you're passing by it's worth stopping in.

The coast is pretty rainy this time of year, so bring your rain jackets and galoshes.

Not quite Oregon, but N. CA coast - Jedediah Smith Redwood SP beautiful.

...and fairly close by is the Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent City, one of my favorites. You can only get to the actual lighthouse during low tide. They have tours. This lighthouse is not just like a tower where you see the light/fresnel lens, it's a house where the lighthouse keeper used to live. Many of the furniture are originals or very good reproductions.

If you're going Depoe Bay/Newport, you probably don't need to also go as far south as Crescent City. One fun trip would be down to the bat caves at Cave Junction on your way to Crater Lake. The tour at the caves is fun! You can even stay overnight in a tree house! After Crater Lake you can head up to Bend to the Oregon High Desert Museum. We did that circuit when our kids were 3 & 9, and it was great. We camped at Lake Selmac in Selma, OR. For even more fun, you could continue up to the Kah-Nee-Ta at the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. They have pools filled by the hot springs and resort services.

Here's a map of the trip.

Edited by ondreeuh

There is so much of the Oregon Coast, it's hard to know what to recommend, would you like to head north or south from Depot Bay? Here's my list of favorites from Astoria south to Newport. The whole coast is great for finding tidepools, vistas, lighthouses, day hikes etc..

*Astoria: Columbia River Maritime Museum, Fort Clatsop (site of Lewis and Clarks winter camp), Fort Stevens, The Astor Column, The Riverfront Trolley, The Children's Museum

*Seaside: Nice downtown area including best candy shop in.the.world - The Buzz on Broadway! (Don't like the beach much, better beach at...

*Cannon Beach - just a lovely little town a very nice beach & Haystack Rock great tide pools and bird watching

*Ecola State Park - tidepools

*Tillamook: Cheese factory - watch the cheese being packaged for shippment through big glass windows, self guided tour, don't miss the fresh squeaky cheese (curds) and Tillamook Ice-cream YUMMY, Also in Tillamook, The Air Museum housed in the humongous blimp hangers, and Main Street Pizza (awesome pizza)

*Three Capes Scenic Loop along which you can see The Cape Meares Lighthouse, The Octopus Tree and the Three Arches National Wildlife Refuge - stunningly beautiful. Cape Lookout State Park day use area a wonderful place to hit the beach (a favorite and we love to camp there as well)

*Lincoln City - several nice beaches, a couple of glass blowing places and home to one of the best little mom and pop cafes in the world - The Beach Dog Cafe. Specialty awesome hotdogs of all kinds, wonderful breakfast, from scratch cooking. It's tiny but amazing!

Between Lincoln City & Newport take the Otter Rock Scenic Loop with an overlook at Devils Punchbowl - spectacular views

*Newport - Yaquina Head Lighthouse (you can go in this one) Tide pools and Interpretive Center. Cost $5.00 per day to go in - well worth it!

Lighthouse at Yaquina Bay

Hope that helps - have fun! I'm blessed to live just 1.5 hours from most of these amazing places :)

Ah - if your heading inland, perhaps you're planning on going through Cave Junction? If so, take a right there and head on up to the Oregon Caves! These are a must see in that part of the state. So, so worth the stop! :)

I just wanted to second the idea of Great Sand Dunes National Park. There was NOBODY else there (middle of summer) and we had it all to ourselves. There is a longish hike through the dunes and to the ocean, which you will also have to yourselves. Nobody on the beach for miles and miles -- just amazing. And if, like me, you have a National Parks pass, it is free. (I think that is why nobody else was there; there is a hefty fee for day use and perhaps everyone else had Oregon State passes.)

I've driven the entire Oregon Coast numerous times. Another place I recommend is Brookings, Oregon. There is a Best Western in Brookings which is memorable because of the view. Book it way ahead of time, though -- word of mouth is getting around. We also love the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats. We almost always see wildlife right out in front of the hotel, and I believe every room has an ocean view.

I am having trouble remembering the other beach we stumbled across. (Edited: Glenedin Beach.) Oh and YES to OMSI. We have been members for years, even though we've never lived in Portland.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly