Menu

Would you ever wear polyester?

A family member of a friend died and the family asked me to go through all the clothing for first pick since I'm the main person they can think of who is the proper size. Since my wardrobe is very ratty and basic, this is a huge blessing to me. The person who died was about 20 years older than I am but had some very nice clothes. I have no trouble keeping the cotton and wool clothing that fits me. But she also had some nice looking clothes that are made of polyester. My first response was to want to toss them far away from me but I thought I'd get your (hopefully!) more objective opinion first. Would you ever wear polyester (while you load up your grocery cart with food for your crockpot)?

Sure I would. I wear a lot of poly blends and some of the old polyester patterns are even really cool now. Of course, if it's older clothes, then the style of the clothes themselves may just be bad. Or it may be uncomfortable polyester. Nowadays it isn't usually. It can be very nice.

Yes. Polyester has come a long way since double knit.

YES! A VERY LONG WAY!

I recently finished a quilted started by my friend's grandma about 30 years ago. Most of it was bits left from clothes she made for my friend and her sister in the early 70's. When I took that material out of the bag, before it even came out of the bag, when I just felt it, I had flashbacks to that old, horrible polyester! :ack2:

I didn't remember it being THAT bad! But boy has it come a long, long way! So different today!

Sure I would. I wear a lot of poly blends and some of the old polyester patterns are even really cool now. Of course, if it's older clothes, then the style of the clothes themselves may just be bad. Or it may be uncomfortable polyester. Nowadays it isn't usually. It can be very nice.

A lot of these are new clothes that still have the store tags on them. OK - I'll actually try them on!:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I have some poly blouses. One caution it does not breath as easily and my deodorant doesn't last as long. Other than that, I like my blouses.:D

YES! A VERY LONG WAY!

I recently finished a quilted started by my friend's grandma about 30 years ago. Most of it was bits left from clothes she made for my friend and her sister in the early 70's. When I took that material out of the bag, before it even came out of the bag, when I just felt it, I had flashbacks to that old, horrible polyester! :ack2:

I didn't remember it being THAT bad! But boy has it come a long, long way! So different today!

I worked at Publix in the 80's, but their uniforms hadn't been changed since approximately 1975. Good old double-knit stretch polyester green with the seam down the front of the pants and the giant pointed peter pan collar. That was looking good on my 16yo self :D

I am assuming, Jean, your clothes are more current and attractive.

Yes, but never while shopping for crockpot food. :P

OK, as a general rule, no. I don't care for the feel and prefer natural fibers. But I'm not opposed to poly/natural blends. And I was reading the other day that cotton (or whatever) mixed with poly will prolong the life of your clothing. So that's a big plus. Free clothes are a huge plus. So if you like them, go for it!

I worked at Publix in the 80's, but their uniforms hadn't been changed since approximately 1975. Good old double-knit stretch polyester green with the seam down the front of the pants and the giant pointed peter pan collar. That was looking good on my 16yo self :D

Yes, I had forgotten about the double knit stretch part! That was a whole new experience sewing on!

I definitely wear polyester, but it depends on the fabric and season.

For summer, generally no polyester unless in smaller quantities as part of a cotton blend--yes cotton/poly blends are supposed to be more durable than 100% cotton.

For winter, we love our polyester fleeces (we have Lands End and LL Bean fleeces). They don't pill or gather lint in the wash and the new ones can be static-free as well. They've got lots of technical polyester fabrics: some for wicking away moisture (athletic wear or long underwear), some can block wind like a windbreaker, some are waterproof (often used in cloth diapers), and of course many lightweight or heavyweight insulating fleeces (like wool but dries faster).

There are nice dressy polyester knits as well like matte jersey that are nice enough for the office or dressy dresses (couldn't think of a better word right now).

Polyester definitely has a place in my family's wardrobe.

I wouldn't personally, but I am extremely sensitive to the feel of clothing against my skin. I pretty much wear cotton 24/7. I am have a sensitive sense of smell, and I can detect BO on myself if I wear manmade fibers. It seems that my deodorant wears off more quickly for some reason. IDK...

Yes.

I have a new pair of pajamas that I'm sure are polyester. They are knit, they are super light (feel like a feather) and they feel so silky.

I think almost all of DH's slacks are a poly blend. They look and feel like wool, but they are some kind of synthetic blend that can be laundered at home.

I admit to having a prejudice against polyester- even acrylic- as I prefer all things naturale- however nowadays I am not so fanatical and if the colour or style is my thing, I might compromise on fabric a little, or occasionally. Its worth a try if your wardrobe is not up to your liking.