Menu

How do you start your HS day?

fourcatmom

Next year I am really wanting to start the day off with some kind of planned thing that says "we are starting school". So, either saying the pledge, doing a bible verse or some sort of independent or creative writing task. I am thinking of writing something on a white board and then let them do some research or work to complete it???

Does anyone have any ritual that they do to start their day?

Does anyone start with the Pledge of Allegiance?

We start with our Bible reading. We read straight through the Bible and currently we are reading in I Samuel. I generally read 2 chapters a day, but we did skip some of Levicticus this year.

Next Year I am considering starting with a "journal" time each day...where my kids will right the date (learning to spell the months and handwriting for all), maybe dictate to them our Bible verse, word of the week, etc. I would change it each day and allow them a little time to write a story, thought or draw a picture. This is just an idea, I haven't fully developed it yet.

We start with our Bible reading. We read straight through the Bible and currently we are reading in I Samuel. I generally read 2 chapters a day, but we did skip some of Levicticus this year.

Next Year I am considering starting with a "journal" time each day...where my kids will right the date (learning to spell the months and handwriting for all), maybe dictate to them our Bible verse, word of the week, etc. I would change it each day and allow them a little time to write a story, thought or draw a picture. This is just an idea, I haven't fully developed it yet.

We start with our audio Bible and then follow that up with any other audio resources we are using at the time... poetry or an audio book or music that goes along with what we are studying. I started this awhile back and it works well for us. We school at the kitchen table and this gets the children there and focused while I prepare a quick breakfast and then do the breakfast dishes.

We don't have a formal start routine, although I before I started the school year I thought we would be having a 'start time'. As it turned out, my DS10 would be up and dressed before me doing his Saxon Math! DH couldn't believe his eyes. That DS is an early riser and goes to the schoolroom, gets his math out and starts early. Later on he'll come join us for breakfast, morning chores, and then back to school. With my DD's being scatterbrained like they are, it takes a while for them to get dressed and simple morning chores done (tidy room, empty dishwasher, brush teeth).

After feeling like school just isn't being done properly due to us not starting together, I decided to not stress about it and let them start when they could. My only steady rule is that you have to be started by no later than 8:15am. A good reason to not force a start time is because I could better stagger the two older ones with the time they needed from me.

If you do like the idea of saying the pledge or a prayer or Bible reading, then aim for it, but don't be too disappointed if their routines change that routine. That's what I found happened with me, and I think it's better to let DS go ahead and start math while I'm still in bed if that's what he likes instead of making him wait til I'm done eating breakfast, showering, dressing lil toddler sis, etc...

We don't have a formal start routine, although I before I started the school year I thought we would be having a 'start time'. As it turned out, my DS10 would be up and dressed before me doing his Saxon Math! DH couldn't believe his eyes. That DS is an early riser and goes to the schoolroom, gets his math out and starts early. Later on he'll come join us for breakfast, morning chores, and then back to school. With my DD's being scatterbrained like they are, it takes a while for them to get dressed and simple morning chores done (tidy room, empty dishwasher, brush teeth).

After feeling like school just isn't being done properly due to us not starting together, I decided to not stress about it and let them start when they could. My only steady rule is that you have to be started by no later than 8:15am. A good reason to not force a start time is because I could better stagger the two older ones with the time they needed from me.

If you do like the idea of saying the pledge or a prayer or Bible reading, then aim for it, but don't be too disappointed if their routines change that routine. That's what I found happened with me, and I think it's better to let DS go ahead and start math while I'm still in bed if that's what he likes instead of making him wait til I'm done eating breakfast, showering, dressing lil toddler sis, etc...

I do agree with this that's why I was thinking of writing something on a board and when they were ready to start, that's how they would start and then we would come together at some point or just move on from there. I let get up and they watch a little tv and then that goes off and they jump into books but I was don't really like the way it works now. I think next year, no tv but we usually start by 9 and I would like to be earlier next year too.

We start with "Circle Time" which involves Bible story, devotion, hymn of the week, memorizing books of the Bible, Pledge of Allegiance, and then a prayer. Then we're ready to hit the math books. We'll see what happens when Baby makes her arrival. =) I'm trying to be flexible, but still keep some sort of routine.

We start our homeschool day with a "morning meeting." We gather and my younger child states the date (calendar skills). Then I proceed to describe the plan for the day -- any outtings, errands, appointments, etc. Next is prayers, memory work, and a rotating elective, all of which work best as a group.

DD is free to start school assignments before the morning meeting, but is not required to do so. Sometime she does, sometimes she doesn't.

My kids are early risers, and I am not, so this works for us.

We start our homeschool day with a "morning meeting." We gather and my younger child states the date (calendar skills). Then I proceed to describe the plan for the day -- any outtings, errands, appointments, etc. Next is prayers, memory work, and a rotating elective, all of which work best as a group.

DD is free to start school assignments before the morning meeting, but is not required to do so. Sometime she does, sometimes she doesn't.

My kids are early risers, and I am not, so this works for us.

I like this idea. My kids are going to be in 5th and 4th but I still feel like I want some sort of thing that brings us together and then they can start on their work. I often feel very scattered in the morning and I was hoping this might help us.

I like all the ideas, especially the bible too.

I hear memory work talked about a lot on here...what is that?

We "start" together with a prayer and devotional (not our actual scripture reading, which we do at night with my husband) and memory work (memorizing poems, scriptures, and facts and reciting/reviewing previously memorized items). We occasionally do the pledge of allegiance, try to sing a hymn, maybe read a poem.

My 10yo also has started getting started on his schoolwork early, so this devotional often comes later in the day. We therefore don't have a consistent first thing, although I feel better when we do.

Our rule is that we start school at 8:30. By that time, everyone has to have eaten breakfast, gotten dressed and brushed their teeth. If they do all that early, they're allowed to have computer time before school (they each get 45 min of computer time a day to play games.) They usually get up around 7:00 so they have plenty of time to play before school.

Around 8:00 I make a list for each of them on the whiteboard of the assignments/lessons they are to do that morning. Then I make a separate list of the things we hope to do in the afternoon while the toddler is napping (things like messy art projects, history read-alouds and science projects.) At 8:30 they come to the table and start working through their list. They can do their work in any order, as long as it's all done by lunchtime.

They tend to start the day with memory work, though I'm not sure why or when this became their routine! I think the performance aspect of it does make for a nice segue from playtime to school time.

I start with classical music playing in the background. It keeps everyone quiet and focused. We have our daily schedule posted on the refrigerator before the kids get up so they know what to expect. Like a previous poster, I don't mind staggering the kids starting because it allows me to concentrate on each child and their work.

We start with Bible reading during breakfast. I'm reading out of Egermeier's now, because straight Bible was a bit too much when my oldest is first grade (I was having to skip some things that I'm not ready to discuss yet!). At your kids' ages, I'd be doing straight from the Bible though, I'm sure. We do some questions and a narration on the Bible reading (my son enjoys this, and I'm still writing the narration anyway). Then we clean up the table and start math.

I would like to get some memory work in there somewhere. It's on my list of things to stick in somewhere. We have poems we're working on for FLL, Bible verses, and I'd like to have his Bible drill class questions available to study as well.

We also start our day with Bible reading. Our longest held routine (several years and running) is to choose a verse to copy and then for youngers, they look up one word in a dictionary and write the definition. The olders look up at least one Scripture reference and write that instead of vocab. Then everyone usually gets started with math.

Our formal start point is when I write the days work on the whiteboard. Both of the boys like to see what needs to be done in the day and then we can choose what we want to do first. We used to always start with Math, but one tough math lesson might ruin what could have been a good day. So if I know that we are starting a new concept in Saxon, or if we will be covering a skill that they are struggling with, I might suggest we start with something else. Then they take turns marking out each thing as we get it done.

Ours is Bible & breakfast (everyone gets their own cereal or bagels, etc.) at 8:00. We call it "Meet and Eat." :D

We change things up occasionally, but we're currently going through Sword Fighting for a devotion and weekly verse and reviewing past verses. Then, the older two each read the passage we are memorizing (currently Psalm 91).

Since we are all together, I find that this is the best time to do subjects that we do together. In the past, this was Greek, but this year it was Geography on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Erm. Here, it looks like, "Hey! DS! It is 8:30! Get in here and get started! Stop that. I mean it. Now!" :blushing:

Here it's "gosh darn it, I did not mean to be on the computer that long!" and those are my words, not the kids, lol.

I tried starting with a short devotional, 5-10 minutes including a song, a prayer, and memory work. But then I found that I liked doing math over breakfast. We still do the devotional, but it is so nice to get math out of the way first thing.

We listen to hymns and/or worship music while we eat breakfast. When school starts at 8 we switch to classical music. We call it our 'thinking' music. :)

ETA: We do our pledge of allegiance when we head into our school room in the late morning. We start school upstairs in the kitchen with math and then make our way to the school room when we need the white board.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
more info

Next year I am really wanting to start the day off with some kind of planned thing that says "we are starting school". So, either saying the pledge, doing a bible verse or some sort of independent or creative writing task. I am thinking of writing something on a white board and then let them do some research or work to complete it???

Does anyone start with the Pledge of Allegiance?

:cheers2: Coffee.

Oh, and then when the children WAKE UP, ;) we do breakfast, clean-up, and then in my ideal world we start with Bible together as a group.

My husband is a public schooler teacher *gasp! :)* and starts off his chorus classes with a minute of seat work that gathers everyone's focus as people are taking their seat, role call happening etc. He will write a question or problem on the board and they have to copy it in their notebooks. Sometimes it is important info that has to be relayed to parents, and they can't use the "I didn't see it!" excuse. :)

Maybe that would work in the HS setting too. Have a whiteboard or printout with a scripture verse to copy, memory work, definition, the list could go on. As you corral everyone, it gives them something to do that signals that work is about to take place. After it is completed and attention is focused, have the pledge, prayer, or whatever works for your family and age group.