Menu

13 year old ds doesn't want me to attend school talent show - pity party

My ds started at a charter school in January. They are having a talent show tomorrow. Parents and siblings are invited (since this is new to us, I don't know if most go or not), but ds does not want me there. He says my presence will make him nervous (even though we are present everywhere else he plays - recitals, church, competitions, etc.). I am sure he is trying to be diplomatic and spare my feelings, 'cause I truly think he just doesn't want me there. I "get" it. I was 13 once, too. But, it still kind of hurts my feelings.

Will you feel sorry for me?

I might go and hide in the back. I'd not tell him until he's a mddile -aged man.

;) If he doesn't know you're there it will not affect him. lol

Go incognito. After you do that he'll never be embarassed to have you go to anything again. Mainly because he'll be really concerned about what you'll do if you aren't invited next time.

I'd go anyway, given that parents and siblings are invited... I refuse to play the "I'm embarrassed by my parents" game. ;)

(I'm not saying that I don't give them space or anything, as I do. It's just that I think that kind of attitude is hurtful and I won't condone it.)

It's not a tiny place, but it's not huge either.

Mostly, I think I am sad when these things happen b/c I cannot call my mother and tell her how sorry I am that I was such a jerk/*itch to her at that age. She passed away when I was 24.

Ds is not being a jerk. I asked him to tell me his preference, and he did. In a way, I feel like it wouldn't hurt him to be hugely embarrassed and feel terrible if I am one of the few parents not there. Might be more effective if he learned that himself, kwim?

When I was that age, I told my mom I didn't want her to come to the school awards assembly. She didn't! When I got home, I asked her where she was!!! She was So confused.

Basically, I didn't think my friends' parents would come and I didn't want to be the only geek with her mom in the audience. So, I asked her not to show. Then, at the actual assembly, ALL my friends' parents were there and I felt left out!! So, of course, I blamed my mom!!! :lol:

I'd go and listen behind closed doors if you have to!!! I bet, deep down, he wants you there.:grouphug:

My son is in dance and theater, and he hates being watched during rehearsal. He has asked me not to stay, so I don't. His friend also hates being watched, but her mother goes to every rehearsal. I think it's terrible that she doesn't honor her dd's wishes. Your son will probably find he misses having someone there and asks you to come next time. It's hard, though, I know. We don't want to miss anything! :grouphug:

Ds is not being a jerk. I asked him to tell me his preference, and he did. In a way, I feel like it wouldn't hurt him to be hugely embarrassed and feel terrible if I am one of the few parents not there. Might be more effective if he learned that himself, kwim?

I would go anyway, if my preference was to be there. It's a parent's job to embarass their children.

(I was horribly embarassed by my parents when I was a teen. I don't think them listening to my requests or not affected anything.)

I would go anyway, if my preference was to be there. It's a parent's job to embarass their children.

(I was horribly embarassed by my parents when I was a teen. I don't think them listening to my requests or not affected anything.)

:iagree: Just promise you won't do like the movies and give a standing ovation, or blurt out phrases during the performance, or take the video camera up front and follow them at the edge of the stage, or join them backstage to hug and kiss them beforehand.

You could suggest all these things, then sitting quietly with a smile on your face won't seem so bad.

I'm 44 and my mom can still embarass me.

My son is in dance and theater, and he hates being watched during rehearsal. He has asked me not to stay, so I don't. His friend also hates being watched, but her mother goes to every rehearsal. I think it's terrible that she doesn't honor her dd's wishes. Your son will probably find he misses having someone there and asks you to come next time. It's hard, though, I know. We don't want to miss anything! :grouphug:

I think the OP's situation is different though…it's not a rehearsal, it's a presentation to which the parents & siblings have been invited.

I think the OP's situation is different though…it's not a rehearsal, it's a presentation to which the parents & siblings have been invited.

I got that. I still think his wish should be honored. :001_smile:

Edited by Mejane