Menu

So...what do you have sitting on your shelves.....

That you know you

1. Calls your name and tells you to get busy!

2. Swear you will get to....someday

3. Are planning to definitely use......maybe.

4. What was I even thinking???

For me...

1. The rest of this years CLE light units....I keep telling myself we are not behind...we are where we are at....

2. Watching the TWSS videos. They have been sitting on my bedSide table next to me for 3 years!!! Seriously? I will watch these....someday.....

3. God and the History of Art and Beautiful Feet's Classical Music. I have both sets and try to incorporate these yearly. They are so nice,! They are right up my alley!!! I think next year...hmmmmmm.

4. I have 4 levels of BJU math with 2 sets of new workbooks because I have the 2nd edition...and wasn't sure if the workbooks would be available when I needed them.....Then I discovered CLE. My kids love it...they are happy with CLE and learning math better than ever.....I hope these will bless someone else. They are in my ...no guilt, send them to book samaritan...pile.

....so...how about you??

Faithe

1. Calls your name and tells you to get busy! The LAST CLE math light unit! We have six lessons and a test left, and we are done with grade 4!

2. Swear you will get to....someday Geography. I lined up some great resources for a full-year world geography study, and I haven't gotten very far into it. Maybe I'll finally do it when my 3 year old gets old enough.

3. Are planning to definitely use......maybe. I've been putting off Life of Fred until this summer, but I think I may just do a math review workbook this summer instead. Or maybe I'll just read it as a story and do the problems for my ds without asking him to do anything. Or maybe I'll just sell the books.

4. What was I even thinking??? Scott Foresman Reading. We do plenty of reading with our lit-based history, and I don't have time to add in something else just for the worksheet aspect.

Two things in particular come to mind:

1) The very expensive lego education kit I bought 2? 3? years ago. We have done some of the activities, and my kids enjoyed them, but I don't think they grasped what they were supposed to be learning and we're already busy enough with schoolwork to do something that I'm not sure wound up being so educational. I go back and forth on whether to go ahead and do some more of the lessons or just sell it.

2) Time Travelers CD. We had two of these. We did one. My daughter enjoyed doing it, but, boy, what a royal pain it was. I think these would be great as a complete American history program with some books added in. But as a supplement? No so much. Again, trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and push through it or just sell it. We're just finishing up American history now.

Lisa

1. Calls your name and tells you to get busy! IEW... in all its forms

2. Swear you will get to....someday - All American History. someone will use this... someday!

3. Are planning to definitely use......maybe. All the American Girl teacher's guides, novels, ____'s World books, craft & recipe books. My oldest is way too old now. Maybe my 4th grader next year??? I think it's our last shot.

4. What was I even thinking??? Apologia science. We all hate it. I finally sold it all this week so I would stop feeling guilty. ;)

The rest of FLL 1 and AAS 2 for my DS. We slowed way down on these when he made a breakthrough on his penmanship (went from not even being able to write his name to writing long sentences). But I really need to pick up the pace on at least AAS.

Finishing up Spelling Power for my DD. That got dropped out of her LA "loop" schedule because I wanted to focus on other aspects like cursive penmanship and writing. She's on level I of SP so there isn't that much left to do.

Right Start A and/or B for my DS. I :001_wub: the foundation RS B gave my oldest in math. He wasn't ready for RS A at the beginning of this school year so I shelved it. He has been doing fantastic with a combo of MEP (did Reception and most of 1A) and Singapore (currently flying through the 1A text). I've been incorporating some of the RS methods into MEP and Singapore but I haven't quite figured out what exactly I'm going to do with math for him.

Saxon 1. I borrowed this from our virtual charter's lending library back in the fall on the recommendation of a friend when I had told her about DS' issues with RS A. I'm not a Saxon girl and it's just been taking up space on my bookshelf ever since. I'm turning it back in next month at the charter's end-of-year bookswap.

1. Calls your name and tells you to get busy! The supplemental books I bought for this year, like the Burgess books, the Secret Garden, Our Island Story. The videos I got for science, like the rest of the Planet Earth and The Life of Mammals series. We've gotten about halfway. Piano. Spanish.

2. Swear you will get to....someday BFSU and all our OTHER literature I've collected. And the stories in What Your Second Grader Needs to Know (and First Grader, and Kindergartner...) WWE 2, maybe once we finish the grammar book we're working on. The Violin Book series (I have books 0-2 and a full size violin. My 7 year old can't use a full size violin.)

3. Are planning to definitely use......maybe.Art Adventures at Home. I bought this after we finished the first level of Atelier and couldn't afford the next. Games for Reading, Games for Learning, The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas. That one unit of FIAR volume 4 I bought and printed.

4. What was I even thinking??? Angel Bear Yoga (it's too weird for us), and the ArtPac I bought. It's not art. It's coloring, cutting & pasting with very specific directions. Miquon. Rod & Staff first grade math. We currently have 3 math programs in our house for 2nd grade, and only one child. I'm too embarrassed to say how many programs I bought for first grade math. :blushing: But she has a really good handle on math!

1. Calls your name and tells you to get busy:

Too many!!:lol:

Classical Writing Maxim, all the books I need to finish reading for this year and all of the books for next year (High School! :ohmy::scared:), Jacob's Algebra I (I'm supposed to go through it myself before her!), etc. etc.

2. Swear you'll get to...someday...:

the Killgallon books I bought for both of them

3. Are planning to definitely use...maybe:

too many to list

4. What was I even thinking??

TOG

I picked up a classic version for Year 2 thinking I could finally get a good look at this. I had always looked but never purchased and I'm so glad I didn't. It would have been an expensive mistake. I like that it had teacher notes, but even with those I felt like the lessons never really honed in on the objectives I would have found important.

Well, it's not technically on the shelf, but on the shelf in my mind is PR3. We're accelerating until we get to it. I also have the Right Start box of math games that I MUST figure out. I have about 3 of the 100+ games figured out. Living Memory and CC Foundations guide. I WILL make memory work a priority next year, I will, I will!

I have a bunch of "just in case" things held over from my oldest, including Winston Grammar, Life of Fred (fractions & decimals), Mystery of History 1, some logic books.

Also held over from dd, but with definite plans to use: IEW, Real science 4 kids chemistry.

4. What was I even thinking??? I think I've sold everything that falls into this category. Well, WRTR qualifies. I need to sell it still, or give it away. I could never wrap my brain around it until I found PR. Oh, I have "How to Write a Great Research Paper," a convention RR impulse buy that turned out to be pointless.

That you know you

1. Saxon math and Sonlight history/literature yell at me and won't let me relax :glare:.

2. Figuratively Speaking--I think this coming year will be the year :001_smile:.

3. The Whole Picture art program--I actually have it scheduled this summer, but we started our summer plans last week and we already missed art :lol:.

4. I don't think I have any "what was I even thinking" items on my shelf because I think I've gotten rid of them all :tongue_smilie:.

That you know you

1. Fll 1/2 and TRAH for spelling really need to finish fll and figure out how to use TRAH for spelling, the directions are so easy, why can't I follow them?:confused:

2. trail guide to geography and a long list of supplemental books, that I need to pre read, A World of Adventure (I love, love, love that curriculum and i'm going to start saving for it right now and try to get it next year for DS's 4th grade year).

3. IEW, it's off the shelf and primed for next year, mastering mathematic (it's a great program that i'll probably use to supplement the trouble spots in Singapore and it was a free gift)

4. I don't have any of those

Edited by mama25angels

That you know you

....so...how about you??

Faithe

1. Apples & Pears Spelling and Dancing Bears Reading - These rock!!! and I want to get ds8 to the end of both of these books before we start some fun stuff I have planned.

2. Song School Greek, Hey Andrew....Book 1, and Lively Latin. (=fun stuff to get to when we finish #1)

3. A science teacher's resource book I found free...I see-saw between thinking it's awesome and thinking it's too much fuss.

4. I've already destroyed the evidence...:tongue_smilie:

MUS Alpha - we must be able to finish this sometime during the primary years!!

Artistic Pursuits. I love it. If only I had time!

Mystery of History - so neat. Great integration. Must figure out how to get this in somehow. I have the audio cds...maybe sneak them onto dd's iPod...

Apologia Astronomy - I SO thought I would love this. Tried it twice. Just. Can't. Do. It.

1. Singapore

BFSU

AAS JUST moved here from #2 last week.

ETC

the dry-erase math books

2. MEP

Our recorder book

Botany & Anatomy coloring books

Animals & Their Habitats

100 EZ Lessons

3. SOTW 1

Discovering Great Artists

4. Everything else, lol. Almost. A lot of it is leaving for a curriculum swap tomorrow. Esp the French stuff (I don't speak French, neither does dh!), and some things for older grades like Map Skills.

That you know you

Getting Started With Latin (so I can brush up on my college Latin) :blush:

Handbook of Nature Study

The Prang Primary Course in Art Education-- Maybe I'll use it with future children for K or 1st, but probably never with ds 7. It's involved enough that I could design and entire year of study around just art. Sigh... I *love* art, *love* this e-book (free on google books) but it's not our focus right now.

History Odyssey Level 1, Ancients. :D

1. BFSU. We've been doing topical studies and they have really s t r e t c h e d out lol. I'm excited to continue BFSU throughout the Summer.

2. Handbook of Nature Study. Not clear enough on how to use it, or not user friendly enough for me. It's something. May use it with dd.

3. Calculadder. Ds turned out to hate timed drills, getting stressed out and having meltdowns. Can use it with dd in a year or so.

4. My Jesus and I. Boooring.

Artistic Pursuits. :( I'm sad about it because I went way out of the way to obtain it and the "stuff" to use with it was costly. We obtained the K-3 book a few years ago and just haven't gotten into it. I wanted something to help the kids explore various methods and mediums of art. I thought it would do the trick because of the vast range of items included but we never made it pas, dare I admit it, Lesson 1. *deep sigh* I'm actually trying to find an art teacher in my area now. :lol:

2. Handbook of Nature Study. Not clear enough on how to use it, or not user friendly enough for me. It's something. May use it with dd.

Try checking out this blog. It gives weekly challenges using the Handbook of Nature Study. (This is my #2 as well btw, and my plan is to start there with challenge #1 this week! Hopefully I won't be sitting here with this still on my list next year. lol!)

2) Time Travelers CD. We had two of these. We did one. My daughter enjoyed doing it, but, boy, what a royal pain it was. I think these would be great as a complete American history program with some books added in. But as a supplement? No so much. Again, trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and push through it or just sell it. We're just finishing up American history now.

We've enjoyed the Time Traveler Civil War unit that we are currently finishing! I love that it is structured, has it's own spine text, and that it gives a range of activities to choose from. I'd go loopy if we tried to do everything, but my kids adore the projects we've done. Give it another try ... and if it doesn't work for you PM me so I can buy your stuff :tongue_smilie:

1. Calls your name and tells you to get busy! - Meet the Masters and Sonlight read-alouds keep me on track but in the interest of full disclosure I need to admit that I formed groups for both of these things and the other moms hold me accountable to stick to the structure I dream up at the beginning of each year.

2. Swear you will get to....someday - Right Start math games. I have a DD who hates all games until she has mastered the rules. She would learn so much from these if only I had the heart to force her to play.

3. Are planning to definitely use......maybe. - The Nature of Science is fascinating, but I simply haven't figured out how I want to put it into action.

4. What was I even thinking??? - The What Your ___ Should Know series. I've realized that I really don't care for what the author has to say.

Lisa

:iagree:I never did a whole one, just a small part, but yup, it was a huge pain. I love how they look. The kids learn a lot. I think your idea makes sense, but I still don't think I want to try these again. I have four!! yes, four sitting on my shelf, but I can't quite get myself to part with them yet.