Menu

C'mon! You guys are failing me!

amyinva

Sorry to keep posting the same thing, but I really need some suggestions for where to start with choosing a science curriculum for my upcoming 3rd grader. We have been using k12 this year through a Virtual Academy, but it is just too expensive to pay direct (about $350 for one kid for one class) and our VA looks like it might be closing next year.

I am looking for something planned out- I don't do well with having to plan things, I like to open it and go. I want rigorous, becuase she loves it and wants it that way.

Any ideas for any curriculum that is not $350 per class? That meets any of the above criteria? Or just anything I should look at that anyone likes a lot? I'll take anything, just want a place to start!

thank you!

Amy

Sorry to keep posting the same thing, but I really need some suggestions for where to start with choosing a science curriculum for my upcoming 3rd grader. We have been using k12 this year through a Virtual Academy, but it is just too expensive to pay direct (about $350 for one kid for one class) and our VA looks like it might be closing next year.

I am looking for something planned out- I don't do well with having to plan things, I like to open it and go. I want rigorous, becuase she loves it and wants it that way.

Any ideas for any curriculum that is not $350 per class? That meets any of the above criteria? Or just anything I should look at that anyone likes a lot? I'll take anything, just want a place to start!

thank you!

Amy

Have you looked at Real Science 4 Kids? We're not doing "formal science" right now, but if I figure out how to fit it in, we'll do one of their programs. We did their Pre-Level 1 Chemistry last year and enjoyed it. I don't know if it meets your requirements, but wanted to give you something to look at :001_smile:.

You just want science suggestions?

Apologia Elementary Science Books are wonderful. Pretty easy to go with LOTS of choices now. :) Just take 2 weeks to cover a lesson, add in some experiments (there are companies that sell science kits to go with the curr., but the materials are easy to find on your own), and put it all in a notebook form.

I am looking at this Elemental Science and it is written by one of our own WTM members. :) I normally get their science classes from Co-op. We are starting a new co-op next year and I am not sure what classes there will be. So I am looking at options for this upcoming year.

And of course you have the options of doing lapbooks on different topics. Some (like HOAC) even come with an experiment or two related to the topic of the lapbook. But that might not be rigorous enough for you. But it is an option.

Well, you didn't want it to be expensive OR require much teacher work, so that's why I didn't speak up before. But here you go -- this is what we did, which never cost us that much:

Up through 6th grade, each summer I took about 2 weeks of time to plan out our science:

1. I picked a general science topic, used science encyclopedias to make myself a list more specific topics to cover

2. used the online library card catalog to make a list of books and videos to cover that topic

3. buy a book with science experiments that were all geared around those science topics; or buy several kits

4. flip through the experiment book, make a list of supplies, purchase them, and put them all in a box

5. throughout the year, enjoy working our way through our list of books, videos, experiments, kits enjoying as we had time -- sometimes 4 days a week, sometimes skipping 2 weeks if other things came up; once every 2 weeks, I'd get online and reserve the next book or two or video or two from the library.

If you're interested in going this route, I'd be happy to post a list of books, videos, kits, etc. to go along with the science of your choice. : ) BEST of luck finding what works for your family and your budget! Warmly, Lori D.

Well do you want christian or secular or what? Multiple topics or a chem focus? I like the BJU science a lot. We also did a book from the American Chemical Societyy that someone sent us (I forget the title) and enjoyed working through that. I had cartoon characters telling a story and then simple activities to demonstrate principles. Didn't care especially for RS4K pre-chem. The content was fine but I didn't like the lab book or the formatting. We're doing Apologia's bird book right now along with a Poppy guide from Moving Beyond the Page. The Cosmos and Thames kit didn't go over big, which surprised me.

For us, the best balance seems to be doing BJU science as our spine and then doing other fun kits and topical books as we feel inspired.

If you're interested in going this route, I'd be happy to post a list of books, videos, kits, etc. to go along with the science of your choice. : ) BEST of luck finding what works for your family and your budget! Warmly, Lori D.

This has been my tactic too. I'd love to see your resource list for Life Science and Earth Science/Astronomy, if you have moment, Lori!

Thanks!

Well, you didn't want it to be expensive OR require much teacher work, so that's why I didn't speak up before. But here you go -- this is what we did, which never cost us that much:

Up through 6th grade, each summer I took about 2 weeks of time to plan out our science:

1. I picked a general science topic, used science encyclopedias to make myself a list more specific topics to cover

2. used the online library card catalog to make a list of books and videos to cover that topic

3. buy a book with science experiments that were all geared around those science topics; or buy several kits

4. flip through the experiment book, make a list of supplies, purchase them, and put them all in a box

5. throughout the year, enjoy working our way through our list of books, videos, experiments, kits enjoying as we had time -- sometimes 4 days a week, sometimes skipping 2 weeks if other things came up; once every 2 weeks, I'd get online and reserve the next book or two or video or two from the library.

This was my approach last year, and for the upcoming year. we didn't care for the workbooky curriculum route that we tried out this year...

I like Real Science 4 Kids, but you'd need all three topics to cover the entire year as each book is just about 10 weeks (unless you're combining it with other things). And it's pricey (though not as much as what you were doing).

Prentice Hall is written to middle schoolers, but you could use them as a read aloud and work with her on the experiments. It's not all planned out for you in that there's not boxed experiment items available.

I like the look of the elementary Apologia zoology 3 book, which covers animals. I think it's plenty for an entire year for a third grader. You could raise some of your own critters alongside that if you wanted....

Singapore science offers a mixed bag of topics. I just don't know of any science that includes all your supplies, even if experiments are planned out..... Those that do, such as Science in a Nutshell, don't offer enough in the way of reading. So I don't know of one program that completely covers everything to my satisfaction.

Try this link:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/catalog/cat_science-curriculum.html

I did BJU in 1st and 2nd grade. This year we did a unit study of Bugs with the Big Bug Book.

I'm thinking of Real Science For Kids - Physics this year. I like this web page because it gives all the Science Cirriculum and you can buy every thing you need for the year. That's what I like, not running around at the last minute looking for a ...... or a little ...... to do an experiment.

We did Moody Science's Nueton's Workshop videos also. They are no longer being sold. We bought them at a HS Used Book - Curriculum Sale.

For programs with a teacher guide there are:

http://www.winterpromise.com/science.html

http://www.easyclassical.com/science_product_page.html

The Easy Classical program would be easy to implement if you just bought all the resources and had them ready. Winter Promise has the entire set you can buy directly from them. Noeo and Real Science for Kids look good as well. HTHs. Take care!

I'm scared to death that if I don't have everything planned out, that science won't happen. That's how it was before this year of K12. I love the idea, and I am an Usborne consultant, so i have tons of Usborne science books, but I'm scared!

I would actually like to see what you have too, Lori. Maybe I won't be such a chicken if someone else can get me started.

Amy

I'm scared to death that if I don't have everything planned out, that science won't happen. That's how it was before this year of K12. I love the idea, and I am an Usborne consultant, so i have tons of Usborne science books, but I'm scared!

I would actually like to see what you have too, Lori. Maybe I won't be such a chicken if someone else can get me started.

Amy

What are you afraid of? Grammer school science is not rocket science.

I put all science stuff in a "School Box" only area. At science time pull out the box on like Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM or what ever time Science will be at your house.

Read the Teacher Manual over a day or two before if you need to. You will get the hang of it after the first or second lesson.

If you need a more structured program put your year into a spreadsheet. Then you will know what do do each week.

I have a spreadsheet that I use. I divide up the year of material into the # of school weeks. The spreadsheet keeps me focused on where I'm going and what I need to get done each week or day.

Sometimes I have to bump the work ahead because of unplanned things like the flu or colds. Once this is over we get going again. I'll just adjust the dates and our "school year" gets extended like snow days that need to be made up at the end of the PS year.

Once you have an outline of what you will cover, then you can add and suppliment with Library or purchased books.

I've tried the Teacher's Planning things from Teachers' Supply stores and I never used them. The spread sheet works best for me. A HS Mom gave me her spreadsheet and I customized it for me.

I'm nervous about putting together my own thing that doesn't have the aforementioned Teacher's Manual. :) Seriously, I was just terrible about getting science done when I did not have a program that had it all set up for me. It always dropped to the bottom of the list, and rarely got done. This year, it was done consistently and DD loved it, but I can't afford to buy k12 direct, so i need something else.

Maybe I can do RS4K and add to it with all of these Usborne books I already own. :D

DD just started My Pals are Here Science from Singapore Math. It's exactly what were were looking for in elementary math: something secular, open-and-go, not overly time consuming, and substantive.

DD just started My Pals are Here Science from Singapore Math. It's exactly what were were looking for in elementary math: something secular, open-and-go, not overly time consuming, and substantive.

:iagree: My dd9 is absolutely LOVING this!! She asks to do science everyday- no kidding! We've added in a "notebook" that she is putting together on her own just to dig a little deeper- nothing too time consuming, just some extra "research" b/c she enjoys it so much. For instance, when studying animals she found pictures of mother animals and their babies and then cut/glued/labeled them into her notebook (ie....goose/gosling). For plants she looked up native plants of our state, did an interesting search for "carnivorous" plants (ie...venus flytrap), drew a picture of a plant and labeled the parts, etc.... and printed/cut/pasted/labeled all of these in her notebook..... It's really been a lot of fun for both of us. Right now science is the hit of our homeschool along with history.

Fyi....previous science curriculum got moans when it was pulled out.

It seems to me you might be looking for very basic help here. Please forgive me if I am wrong!....You need to choose one book as a spine and have a schedule for it, then after that is all scheduled out with enough room for additions, look through your other books and materials for subjects that match up, then add those pages to your schedule. Have you seen a spreadsheet schedule for a program that uses multiple books?

I like the God's Design Series for Science because it allows us to actually get science done. Each chapter is fairly short and can be read in 5 minutes or less. There are questions for discussion and usually an experiment or activity if you choose to do it. I've been fairly happy with the content because it tends to be very comprehensive, although not written in as entertaining a fashion as the Elementary Apologia books.

It is not visually appealing because there are very few pictures. For the younger grades, some of the topics covered may be a little above a young child's understanding, but you could simply skip those parts.

There are usually three books in each series (with approximately 32 chapters) that are intended to be used for one year. So for example God's Design for Life Science has one book dedicated to plants, one book dedicated to animals, and one book dedicated to the human body. Each book covers a good amount of material.

If you want a simple, easy to do, comprehensive science curriculum without all the extras that follows the WTM sequence, than God's Design Series would be a good choice. You can always supplement with other visually appealing books if you wish.

I would suggest going to their website (do a search on God's Design Science), and they may have some sample chapters on there.

We have really enjoyed picking a spine and adding living books and experiments. It's quite simple once you figure out how long you want to study a topic and what spine you want to use. Ones we've especially enjoyed:

- The Geography Book by Caroline Arnold (Geographical earth science, the experiments were easy and very effective)

- The Space Book by Robert McCrutcheon

- The Earth Science Book: Activities for Kids by Dinah Zike and Jessie J. Flores

We also have The Ocean Book which is similar to the titles above. These are wonderful for short lessons, easy/effective experiments and cheap.

I recently got Head to Toe Science by Jim Wiese for human body studies and I love it. Giant Science Resource Book Grades 1-6 by Evan-Moor (get the download) is wonderful for worksheets as well as The 100+ Series Life Science and other titles, search the board for "100+ Series" to read Nestfor3's post about it, she says which ones are age appropriate.

We also have United Streaming/aka Discovery Education for online videos.

None of the curriculums have satisfied me as a whole, but we also love science and nature study. :D