Menu

How many days a week can I visit a used book store before I start seeming crazy?

I live as close as a person can to a great little used book store. Lucky for me they're closed 2 days a week. :001_smile:

How many days a week would you go? It's random, but for the most part I always find something good.

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable about going in so often..

I bought 23 chapter books today for $.25 today. I wonder what they'll have tomorrow? :blush:

FWIW, the books get read.

Any other serious book buying maniacs out there?

I live as close as a person can to a great little used book store. Lucky for me they're closed 2 days a week. :001_smile:

How many days a week would you go? It's random, but for the most part I always find something good.

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable about going in so often..

I bought 23 chapter books today for $.25 today. I wonder what they'll have tomorrow? :blush:

FWIW, the books get read.

Any other serious book buying maniacs out there?

In my mind, you'll only be crossing the line if you show up on the two days it's closed.

Make friends with the owners :001_smile:. Lucky you!

Fortunately, I don't live that close to one, otherwise I'd be just like you! I am near a GREAT half price books once a week, and I usually spend $30, at LEAST in there. Every week. Of course, their books are more expensive, but they are still discounted. I'd say the books average $3/each.

You're a regular customer who buys stuff. The owners love you and no one else outside your immediate family has any idea you go that often.

Except for the message board you just told, but that's besides the point. ;)

If you can afford it, go as often as you like. It's not crazy, it's dedicated.

Just offer to volunteer! I'd love to be that close!

This is funny because I alway think I should volunteer there, then I panic and think, "NO!! Would if that didn't work out??".

I can't risk having a beef with them, then not feeling comfortable going in (all the time). I already play nice and bite my tongue enough, there are some cranky people who work there.

I go to Half Price books at least once a week, often twice. I don't think I've left without buying at least one book. I love their clearance section. They always have the classics and older books on clearance for .50!

If I lived near a local used book store I'd be there 2x a week for sure!

You're a regular customer who buys stuff. The owners love you and no one else outside your immediate family has any idea you go that often.

Except for the message board you just told, but that's besides the point. ;)

If you can afford it, go as often as you like. It's not crazy, it's dedicated.

:iagree::lol:

:D

Unless you just happen to be walking by and peek in the window.

This is funny because I alway think I should volunteer there, then I panic and think, "NO!! Would if that didn't work out??".

I can't risk having a beef with them, then not feeling comfortable going in (all the time). I already play nice and bite my tongue enough, there are some cranky people who work there.

This is wise. It's like not dating your best friend, 'cause you don't want to ruin the friendship.

As for cranky people who work there, why is this? I don't go to one of our used bookstores any more because the employees are cranky and, frankly, look like they might be on, umm, you know, a registry somewhere.

Terri

There is an amazing book store near Mystic, Connecticut. It is huge with a bunch of different buildings. If I lived near there (even an hour away would be close enough), I would be there practically everyday. I could go everyday for a year and not see everything and they are always getting new stuff.

I actually got a job at a used bookstore--after months of job searching, in a horrible, horrible economy--for no other reason than that I was there all the time browsing the books. The manager said he would normally never have considered hiring me, because I was quite a bit overqualified for a part-time minimum wage job, but because he knew me, he gave me a chance. So time at the bookstore worked out in my favor in that case.

We have a branch of the local library three blocks from our house (about a five minute walk). Pretty much any day it's open and the weather is okay for walking, we're there.

You're not crazy;). We frequent the ones in our area (in rotation) as often as possible, as well as the local thrift stores. We also travel by used bookstore :D. If I haven't scoped out any used bookstores in the area and along the route there, the first thing we do when hitting a hotel is to pull out the phone book to see if there are any used bookstores.

Once, on a 2.5 week driving trip, we happened to be in Ithaca, NY on the day their Friends of the Library book sale opened---the 3rd largest used booksale in the country!! We had to ship 60 lbs of books home because there was no more room in the car (due to stops at previous used bookstores). We have about 19 of the 6 foot Sauder-style bookcases, several smaller bookcases and a couple of large built-ins---all full of books, some still double-shelved. The last time my husband tried to catalog, he stopped at 4000 (and that was before he hit the children's books, and before we started homeschooling ;)).