Menu

Royal succession question....

Ok, just had to ask. I imagine the British population would be rather pleased if Charles deferred to his son, but that's certainly JMO. I simply can't imagine Charles & Camilla being regarded nearly as fondly (and thus effectively) as W&K would be. Seems a better hope for sustaining the popularity of the monarchy, kwim?

If things were still like they were when Edward VIII wanted to marry Wallis Simpson, Charles would either not be married to Camilla or not be able to be King. However, the royal attitude on divorced people changed. ;)

In any case, Charles won't have a very long reign.

If things were still like they were when Edward VIII wanted to marry Wallis Simpson, Charles would either not be married to Camilla or not be able to be King. However, the royal attitude on divorced people changed. ;)

In any case, Charles won't have a very long reign.

That makes me sad for Princess Margaret.

Ok, just had to ask. I imagine the British population would be rather pleased if Charles deferred to his son, but that's certainly JMO. I simply can't imagine Charles & Camilla being regarded nearly as fondly (and thus effectively) as W&K would be. Seems a better hope for sustaining the popularity of the monarchy, kwim?

Maybe the public would like it, but I bet W&K wouldn't. Can you imagine how tough it would be to try to raise children and be King and Queen? Of course, if QEII lasts as long as her mother, the issue won't come up.

I think it would be great if Charles' stepped down. Given the size of his ego, I don't see that happening. Camilla should not be given any official duties at all. I think it would offend everyone. '

Faith

Ego is not the only reason Charles would like to be King, and Camilla already has official duties. She's clearly not there for her good looks, is she?

The queen hasn't stepped down because she considers it her duty to continue doing her job until she's no longer able.

Rosie

You know - as much as I dislike Charles I think he should be able to be King if he wants to - he is the heir and therefore it's his right. It would be very disappointing to be skipped over for a position you have spent your whole life being groomed for.

He's had so much stress in his life that he will probably die before his mother anyway :001_huh:

I think William is too young to be King - he and Kate should be allowed to have a bit of life together before they are given that responsibility.

They need to be about having babies now :tongue_smilie:

Edited by sewingmama

The Queen's husband isn't king, right? He's a prince.

QEII's husband is styled Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh.

Maybe the public would like it, but I bet W&K wouldn't. Can you imagine how tough it would be to try to raise children and be King and Queen? Of course, if QEII lasts as long as her mother, the issue won't come up.

:iagree: She could last another 15 years. If she lasts another 5 years she will beat out Queen Victoria as the monarch with the longest reign. On May 12 she will have the second longest reign surpassing George III.

Ego is not the only reason Charles would like to be King, and Camilla already has official duties. She's clearly not there for her good looks, is she?

The queen hasn't stepped down because she considers it her duty to continue doing her job until she's no longer able.

Rosie

I think like JPII, QEII will hold on to her reign until the day she dies.

You know - as much as I dislike Charles I think he should be able to be King if he wants to - he is the heir and therefore it's his right. It would be very disappointing to be skipped over for a position you have spent your whole life being groomed for.

He's had so much stress in his life that he will probably die before his mother anyway :001_huh:

I think William is too young to be King - he and Kate should be allowed to have a bit of life together before they are given that responsibility.

They need to be about having babies now :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I think Charles should be crowned king if he outlives his mother. He has waited all his life for it. I think it would be humiliating to be the longest heir apparent in history, then to be passed over.

The Queen's husband isn't king, right? He's a prince.

I don't think he's always given the title "prince," either. QE2's dh gets to be Prince Phillip because his father was a king (of Greece). I'm thinking it would be similar to Diana's title, which was not Princess Diana, but HRH Diana, Princess of Wales, whereas Anne gets to be Princess Anne because her mother is the Queen. Prince Albert was Prince Consort (his father was a Duke, but about.com says he was a prince in Germany??).

But then what do I know? I'm an American. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, I think it a kindness the queen keeps going as long as she can.

For as long as she does, Charles and William can live their lives, which are actually very productive, without the entire weight of the crown restricting them.

I would feel the same about chalres becoming king.

The longer he is king before William, the longer William and Kate have to be less restricted in their decisions.

Still a weight, but not near the heaviness of king.

There is something I still don't get. They said today that W & K will be king and queen. Wouldn't W be king, and K still a duchess, especially since she wasn't royalty before their marriage. And if W dies before K then would she be queen?

Queen Elizabeth's husband isn't king, even though he is royalty.

And, would Diana have been queen if all had gone well? Maybe I just need to go to bed, royalty overload!

There is something I still don't get. They said today that W & K will be king and queen. Wouldn't W be king, and K still a duchess, especially since she wasn't royalty before their marriage. And if W dies before K then would she be queen?

Queen Elizabeth's husband isn't king, even though he is royalty.

And, would Diana have been queen if all had gone well? Maybe I just need to go to bed, royalty overload!

William will be King. Kate will be Queen Consort, aka Queen Catherine. If W dies before K, K will be Queen Mother/Dowager Queen.

The title of queen can be used for the reigning monarch and for the reigning monarch's wife. However, in recent history (aka Victoria and Elizabeth II) queens have recognized that the title "king" implies a reigning monarch, and so their dhs have to be content with Prince, or Prince Consort, so that it's quite clear who is actually reigning. That's what I've gathered, anyway.