Menu

New Jersey anyone?

There is a very good chance that Dh will be transferred to his company's New Jersey office.

When I tell people of this, I get the same reaction from everyone. They say "New Jersey? Why on earth would you move there?" All said with a little sneer on their face.

So, please tell me, what is wrong with New Jersey? Specifically south Jersey - Atlantic County area. I'm really starting to get nervous about this move since the negative reaction has been universal. I need to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

We got the same reaction. FWIW I was just commenting to dh last night that South Jersey has NOT been anything like people claim Jersey is. So far, people are extremely friendly and nice. We live in Burlington County and its very rural and peaceful. I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting last night in New Egypt (where the Jersey Shore girl Dena is from) and thus expected people to be kind of trashy. Totally not the case. At all. The longer I'm here (and it's only been 2 months), I'm starting to get *really* annoyed at the media representation of NJ. That's just not my reality. Maybe North Jersey is different and that's what they mean? No idea.

Absolutely nothing wrong with New Jersey, although I will admit to being a little biased. ;)

I know whenever I am away from home the perception of NJ is that it is one giant city - just an extension of New York City or Philadelphia.

South Jersey is cheaper to live than North Jersey. You also tend to have more options for lots of land. DH's family is all from South Jersey and we are actually down there right now visiting his parents. Usually they will get less snow down here than up north but the closer you are to the ocean, the more you may see flooding/hurricanes. We have hot summers (mostly 80's and 90's) and cold winters (lows in 20's/30's).

Homeschooling is easy in NJ - you have to do nothing. No notification, no reporting, nada.

It's not all bad! :001_smile: We have beautiful beaches, are close to both Philadelphia and NYC, and have no HS regulation!

If you are thinking of relocating, I would investigate the real estate market in Atlantic County. You don't want to be too close to Atlantic City (unless you secretly like to gamble and party 24/7!). Home prices are low compared to what they were prior to the economy crashing, but there are still some pretty pricey areas. Our real estate taxes are very high, though I do not know the numbers for that County.

When budgeting, take car insurance into account as well, as we are the highest in the nation. You have to shop around.

We have lots of shopping, lots of activities for kids. Smithville in Atlantic County is a pretty little area with shops & restaurants & pedal boats.

If I can help with anything specific, please PM me. My brother lives down that way, so I can ask him if I don't know the answer.

We got the same reaction. FWIW I was just commenting to dh last night that South Jersey has NOT been anything like people claim Jersey is. So far, people are extremely friendly and nice. We live in Burlington County and its very rural and peaceful. I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting last night in New Egypt (where the Jersey Shore girl Dena is from) and thus expected people to be kind of trashy. Totally not the case. At all. The longer I'm here (and it's only been 2 months), I'm starting to get *really* annoyed at the media representation of NJ. That's just not my reality. Maybe North Jersey is different and that's what they mean? No idea.

Waving from Burlington County! Glad you are happy here!

That's just not my reality. Maybe North Jersey is different and that's what they mean? No idea.

Nope, North Jersey isn't as typically represented either. Once you are outside of the Newark area anyway. We are about 40 miles from New York City. We live in a very rural neighborhood with a sheep farm right down the road and an alpaca farm about a mile away. Lots of apple orchards up north, as opposed to cranberries and blueberries down south. The farther North and West you go, the more rural and wide open it becomes but hillier/more mountainous than South Jersey. Also a lot more dairy farms up north.

I know most think its a big joke but we are called the Garden State for a reason.

I grew up in Jersey, and I have family still there. The only thing really bad is how expensive it is to live there. The property taxes are very high, no matter where you go. Car insurance is also very high. It is the mostly densely populated state (per square mile) which means there is a lot of traffic. But it's not that bad. It's nice to be so close to so many things. I laugh now, when I think about how my parents thought NY city was too far to go visit. It was a 90 minute drive, not that far! My mom refused to go to Philly, but it was 15 mins away.

If you have to move there, it's ok.:001_smile: You will survive. I think most people have a bad impression of Jersey because they only ever drive up the Parkway or Turnpike, then you past some not-so-nice cities. There are refineries up north, and it smells bad.

Nope, North Jersey isn't as typically represented either. Once you are outside of the Newark area anyway. We are about 40 miles from New York City. We live in a very rural neighborhood with a sheep farm right down the road and an alpaca farm about a mile away. Lots of apple orchards up north, as opposed to cranberries and blueberries down south. The farther North and West you go, the more rural and wide open it becomes but hillier/more mountainous than South Jersey. Also a lot more dairy farms up north.

I know most think its a big joke but we are called the Garden State for a reason.

I remember the first time I went to the NW part of the state. It is beautiful. The mountains are so pretty, and the area is absolutely tranquil, although extremely expensive.

Oh thank you! That makes me feel much better!

The weather worries me a bit. I'm from the southwest. Here it's hot and dry. All. year. long. We get a max of 3" of rain per year. I'm not at all thrilled about that strange white stuff that falls from the sky.

I'm glad to hear that the people are nice. I had begun to think that all folks from New Jersey were rude.

I'm hoping we can get a few acres of land. I want goats, chickens and a veggie garden! I can't grow things here. It gets too hot by June and everything dies.

Atlantic County gets less snow than further East, so you might get just enough for your kids to enjoy and not enough to make you cry.;)

That said, we have had some big snowfalls the past few years, so you might want to knit some mittens!

Oh thank you! That makes me feel much better!

The weather worries me a bit. I'm from the southwest. Here it's hot and dry. All. year. long. We get a max of 3" of rain per year. I'm not at all thrilled about that strange white stuff that falls from the sky.

I'm glad to hear that the people are nice. I had begun to think that all folks from New Jersey were rude.

I'm hoping we can get a few acres of land. I want goats, chickens and a veggie garden! I can't grow things here. It gets too hot by June and everything dies.

It is humid in Jersey. That might take some getting used to. Snow isn't that bad.

I have lived in South Jersey almost 30 years and love it here. People are very family oriented, almost a small town feeling. I live in Cape MAy County, just over the border from Atlantic County. You do not want to live in Atlantic City, no way but there are very nice rural areas in both Atlantic Couunty and Cape May County . In Cape May County you can get a house with several acres and still be close (30 min. or so) from the beach . Let me know if you have any questions about this area.

the last two wiinters have been brutal, but before that the last several ones were quite mild

p.s. the beaches here are wonderful and the people are friendly, lots of Italians of which I married one.

The change from dry to humid in the summer will be your toughest transition. Lots of friendly homeschoolers in Atlantic County. I'm in the county south of it, and we don't even have our own group 'cause the Atlantic County folks are so accomodating. :)

I wasn't born here, but I've lived in the northeastern part of the state, and now the southeastern part. My husband could live anywhere in the US and do his job. We choose to stay here.

I got the same reaction when we were moved to NJ for a year. We lived in Cherry Hill (Camden County) and it was WONDERFUL!!! Beautiful area...so much to see and do! You can easily go into Philly and NYC....train system is great. The people were friendly and it felt a lot like home to me. :001_smile:

Dh's job would be in Egg Harbor so we would need to live withing driving distance of that. Right now he commutes about 35 - 40 minutes each way so he would be ok with a drive like that.

I have been trying to get a feel for where we might settle that would give dh a decent commute and me my little plot of land (2 - 4 acres). Course, I would need a grocery store fairly near too. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

I'm thinking more west than south or north, only because dh's family lives NW of Philly. We would want to be able to do day visits to them.

So, please tell me, what is wrong with New Jersey? Specifically south Jersey - Atlantic County area. I'm really starting to get nervous about this move since the negative reaction has been universal. I need to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

Besides the outrageous property taxes, ridiculous government intrusion and control over your life? Nothing.

I live here, and were it not for my husband's very secure job, I would move out in a heartbeat. Yes, we have beautiful beaches, but you pay through the nose to use them. It is very difficult to live comfortably here.

Besides the outrageous property taxes, ridiculous government intrusion and control over your life? Nothing.

I live here, and were it not for my husband's very secure job, I would move out in a heartbeat. Yes, we have beautiful beaches, but you pay through the nose to use them. It is very difficult to live comfortably here.

I'll have to do a comparison. It's very expensive to live here too so it might not be too much of a sticker shock.

What do you mean by "ridiculous government intrusion and control over your life"?

I live in NJ, and it is fine to me...I always dream of living in the New England states, but it is fine here...We have THE GREATEST homeschool laws here (no one to report to, no tests to take, nothing)...I hear it is expensive, but I have nothing to compare it to...I was born and raised in NJ and haven't lived anywhere else ;)

It is the most densely populated state in the country, so lots of people live here...You can make a life for yourself anywhere that is safe and be okay...I was afraid a year ago that my husband was going to transfer to Florida...I can't imagine living without the change of seasons...Fall is my favorite season...It didn't happen, but during the process I resolved that I would be okay and love whatever there is good to love about a place, even if it is different than what I am use to...

I was born and raised there - nothing wrong with it. If you are going to the atlantic county area, feel free to PM me. That is where we lived for a number of years before relocating to northern virginia. If you are looking for a cute, lovely, holds its value town, may I suggest Linwood.

I lived in NJ when I was a kid. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the radio stations were horrible (back when I was a kid). :D But, don't not move there because of bad radio.

Their homeschool laws are awesome. I also heard the state likes homeschoolers.

You can go to the beach, too. :thumbup1:

I lived in NJ when I was a kid. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the radio stations were horrible (back when I was a kid). :D But, don't not move there because of bad radio.

Their homeschool laws are awesome. I also heard the state likes homeschoolers.

You can go to the beach, too. :thumbup1:

That's ok. I listen to Pandora!

I went to the beach there once. I can't even remember the name of the beach. Dh just called it "The Shore". It had this great boardwalk with shops all along it. The water was warm too! The Pacific is cold. (Although my kids didn't have a problem swimming in it in December!!)

I'm really happy about the hs laws. Here, the only thing we have to do is send in a letter of intent - once. No testing or anything else. I didn't want to go anywhere with more rules and regs. In the case of homeschooling laws, less is better!

I'm off to research Linwood!:001_smile:

I just typed out a long post and deleted it because it will probably turn political and get your nice thread deleted.;)

If you want to know, I will PM you, but do a little research on what is going on here with immunizations, teenage driving laws, and the so called "green laws." I could go on.

We used to live in Burlington County. DH for 5 yrs and me for 3 yrs. Honestly, we both hated it. Out of all the places we have lived, this was the one we liked the least. I found people to be rude and in a hurry - my first experience in a grocery store involved almost being mowed down several times by barreling shopping carts. Traffic was awful - 45 min to go 15 miles. A lot of roads were only 2 lanes and the traffic was just too much for them. In summation for me, it took the worst part of rural life and the worst part of suburban life and smashed them together. The area around the base was economically depressed, so trying to find a job w/o a 45+ min commute that paid decently was a nightmare. You couldn't pay me enough money to move back there.

There were a few positives - we had the most awesome pediatrician, and the blueberries/corn/peaches from the road side stands were divine.

South Jersey is awesome. Many of the nations blueberry farms are there, there's amazing performance schools, historical richness. Great place to live.

If you're new to the East Coast, yes, it IS fast, and we don't wait and everywhere else seems painfully slow, true, but there's a reason. We don't take much bull pucky here. Time is $. I don't have time to wait a half hour for someone to make my lunch when I only get an hour for lunch, IE. I get stuff done *fast*. I'm a fast worker and any company would love to have me. MANY people are exactly the same, here. Of course there are slackers, too. :-) Don't worry, the blessings far outweigh the bad.

We ahve some of the most beautiful shoreline in the states, and we know it. Yup, believe it or not. There is a huge amount of bird migration-some of the best in the nation, and we have a bit of the Appalachian Trail, too. It's very hilly believe it or not. You don't see flat except by the shore. We ahve great history Revolutionary war sites, we ahve the oldest road in the country, and some of the most amazing historic buildings.

We have almost NO regulations for homeschooling, no reporting and Gov Christie likes homeschooling, too. We looked at moving out, but stayed just because of the ease of homeschooling.

And then there's the Diners. 'Nuff said.

Edited by justamouse

another wave from burlington county!! I also pm'd you..

Robin in NJ

dd(11)

dd(8)

South Jersey is awesome. Many of the nations blueberry farms are there, there's amazing performance schools, historical richness. Great place to live.

If you're new to the East Coast, yes, it IS fast, and we don't wait and everywhere else seems painfully slow, true, but there's a reason. We don't take much bull pucky here. Time is $. I don't have time to wait a half hour for someone to make my lunch when I only get an hour for lunch, IE.

:iagree::lol::lol:

robin in NJ

I lived in NJ until I was 23. I grew up in central NJ, and went to college at Rutgers.

There's a lot I like about NJ. We'd never move back there because DH simply couldn't make, on an academic's salary, enough to live on even if I were working part-time, and we don't want to have to rely on two incomes to get by, but if the cost of living weren't so ridiculously high, we'd definitely consider it. It's not a bad place to live, at all. I agree about there being a lot to do. You've got NYC and Philly in day-trip distance, the beach nearby, and just tons of stuff going on.

Yes, those poor people who live in New Jersey.

Its so awful. It takes me 30 minutes by train to get into New York City. Poor me. I have the finest restaurants, museums and theater to choose from. I am so deprived. I hate living here. In fact, I just got back from New York City.

I dont know how I have managed to live in New Jersey from ages 3-12 and from ages 37-present. What was I thinking!

I can be in Philadelpia in under 2 hours. Another awful place to live close to. Did I mention the beach? I hate the fact it is only an hours drive away.

Have you ever been to Princeton? Horrible place with that world renowned University. I hate hanging out there. I mean it was good enough for Albert Einstein to live there but what does he know.

I can be in Washington DC in 3 hours or Massachusetts in 4 hours. Two more awful places to live close to.

If people are dumb enough to watch Jersey Shore and think that is what New Jersey is like so be it. As long as they know that 99% of the cast is not from New Jersey.

If you do go, you'll never have a legitimate reason to be bored. ;)

I am looking forward to that! There's so much history in that part of the country. We just might spend the whole year on one big field trip! It's green too! Here, there is no history and it's brown.

Yes, those poor people who live in New Jersey.

Its so awful. It takes me 30 minutes by train to get into New York City. Poor me. I have the finest restaurants, museums and theater to choose from. I am so deprived. I hate living here. In fact, I just got back from New York City.

I dont know how I have managed to live in New Jersey from ages 3-12 and from ages 37-present. What was I thinking!

I can be in Philadelpia in under 2 hours. Another awful place to live close to. Did I mention the beach? I hate the fact it is only an hours drive away.

Have you ever been to Princeton? Horrible place with that world renowned University. I hate hanging out there. I mean it was good enough for Albert Einstein to live there but what does he know.

I can be in Washington DC in 3 hours or Massachusetts in 4 hours. Two more awful places to live close to.

If people are dumb enough to watch Jersey Shore and think that is what New Jersey is like so be it. As long as they know that 99% of the cast is not from New Jersey.

Gingersmom, your sarcasm makes me smile :001_smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by justamouse viewpost.gif

If you're new to the East Coast, yes, it IS fast, and we don't wait and everywhere else seems painfully slow, true, but there's a reason. We don't take much bull pucky here. Time is $. I don't have time to wait a half hour for someone to make my lunch when I only get an hour for lunch, IE.

I don't think the "fast life" intimidates me. I live in a major city so I feel like I'm always in a hurry too. Slowness irritates me.

I remember the first time I went to the NW part of the state. It is beautiful. The mountains are so pretty, and the area is absolutely tranquil, although extremely expensive.

Actually most of the NW part of the state is very cheap to live in (Sussex and parts of Warren County). Houses go for 50-75% of what they do in the middle of the northern part of the state (Morris, Essex, Bergen, Passaic counties). In large part because there are a lot fewer jobs in that area. The biggest employer in Sussex County is Walmart.

I will say it is kind of true about government intervention. We have laws for EVERYTHING - helmet laws (motorcycle and bike), no riding in the back of trucks laws, seatbelt laws, car seat laws, restrictive gun laws...if there's a law for (or against) something in another part of the country, more than likely we have it here too. But, I've never found it particularly intrusive.

It makes it kind of funny that there are no real homeschool laws.

One big plus in NJ - you will never have to pump your own gas and our prices tend to be lower than most of the rest of the country.

I will say it is kind of true about government intervention. We have laws for EVERYTHING - helmet laws (motorcycle and bike), no riding in the back of trucks laws, seatbelt laws, car seat laws, restrictive gun laws...if there's a law for (or against) something in another part of the country, more than likely we have it here too. But, I've never found it particularly intrusive.

It makes it kind of funny that there are no real homeschool laws.

One big plus in NJ - you will never have to pump your own gas and our prices tend to be lower than most of the rest of the country.

We have all of those laws too. Maybe I'm just used to being over-regulated!

I love love love the idea of not pumping my own gas! That alone makes me want to move! (Can you tell that I don't like pumping gas)

I forgot about not being allowed to pump our own gas. I would feel sorry for the person waiting behind me if I had to figure out how to work the pump lol.

Also I second the opinion that the Diners are wonderful. Actually I think that diners originated in N.J. also movie drive ins and traffic circles.

Oh, I almost forgot. One major MAJOR down side. Making a left turn. :banghead: Most of the time if you need to turn left you have to get in the RIGHT lane and do a funky u-turn loopdeeloop. But sometimes you can make a regular left turn. It's just hard to say which it's going to be. They like to surprise you. :glare:

Dh's job would be in Egg Harbor so we would need to live withing driving distance of that. Right now he commutes about 35 - 40 minutes each way so he would be ok with a drive like that.

I have been trying to get a feel for where we might settle that would give dh a decent commute and me my little plot of land (2 - 4 acres). Course, I would need a grocery store fairly near too. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

I'm thinking more west than south or north, only because dh's family lives NW of Philly. We would want to be able to do day visits to them.

Egg Harbor City or Township? Hammonton is North of the City and is nice. If you live anywhere near the Black Horse Pike it won't be hard to get to Philly, or the Express Way, that is a fast way to Philly. Mays Landing is nice, it is more west, but along 40 instead of the Black Horse Pike.

I think that whole area is a great place to live, but I grew up not too far from there (more north on the Black Horse Pike). Egg Harbor was rural back then. It may still be. You mentioned having a garden. I don't know what the land towards the shore is like, but where I lived I think you could just throw some seed down and everything grew great. There is a reason it's called the Garden State. :001_smile:

We moved to NJ, from the shoreline of CT, about 6 years ago. I had a very bad attitude about the move, and really didn't want to move. While I miss CT, I have found NJ to be quite beautiful as well. It is very easy to homeschool here, as it was in CT. I really was expecting all of NJ to look like Newark, but there is so much natural beauty here. It is, however, VERY EXPENSIVE to live here. We moved from a house in walking distance to the beach, completely private, with panoramic water views on 3 acres to a suburban neighborhood with 1 acre in NJ (same size house): we tripled our property taxes and doubled our mortgage. We do hope to move from NJ someday, just so that we can get out of debt. We could easily move to neighboring states, and buy a comparable house, and lose the mortgage.

I love not being allowed to pump my own gas.

We're moving out of NJ (to SW VA), but we have mostly enjoyed our 11 yr stay here. We live in central NJ--friendly people, easy traffic, great shopping.

The bad--property taxes, insurance. And, yes, government intrusion. We had to have an inspector come to see if our house is up to code to sell--not a horribly bad idea, but no place else I lived required it except for new construction. Some of the codes are good (mounted kitchen fire extinguisher), some are over the line (screens on all windows--how is that their business?). Friends went through a permitting process for building a new deck, and it was insane and way overkill (speaking as a civil engineer) what they required for the design.

Love the hsing laws though! And there is way more rural NJ than most people think.

I forgot about not being allowed to pump our own gas. I would feel sorry for the person waiting behind me if I had to figure out how to work the pump lol.

Also I second the opinion that the Diners are wonderful. Actually I think that diners originated in N.J. also movie drive ins and traffic circles.

I think I need to start getting gas off base. Ours is self pump. :glare:

I've lived in NJ for 13 years now. It is really not all that different from where I grew up (NY). There are suburban communities, rural communities, and urban communities. The high taxes are a pain but I feel I do get a lot for the taxes I pay. I like the convenience of being close to NYC and a few hours from everywhere else I want to go. I really dislike our current Governor and corruption in NJ government has spawned its share of books, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Soprano-State-Jerseys-Culture-Corruption/dp/0312368941

Our homeschool laws (or should I say lack of) are wonderful.

I'd move back in heartbeat if I could. Seriously. I'm from PHiladelphia, in NJ mostly lived in Burlington County, and my children were born @ the Med Center at Princeton.

Atlantic County. Hmmm. I'd look at living in Hammonton or the tip of Burlington county (Shamong, Medford, Indian Mills - fantastic schools and there is homeschool support as well). My friends who work @ the shore seem to have all moved to Northfield, NJ - Atlantic County. I have friends in Mullica as well. I'm partial to the Medford/Shamong area because you're then 45 min from Long Beach Island (beach) and 45 min-ish from Philly. From Trenton you can get a train into NYC. What's not to like really????

It is congested in some areas of South Jersey, but nothing Central or North Jersey. 70 and 73 can be slow but I'll take that any day over sitting on Rt 9 (if you've done this, you kwim). Some people consider parts of South Jersey "the sticks" but you're still a short commute from major urban areas.

Enjoy looking!!!!!!!!!!!!