Menu

What's better to grill on: charcoal or gas?

We are debating a future purchase of another grill and are discussing whether to go back to a charcoal one.

What are your thoughts? Which of these have you liked better? I only remember grilling on charcoal when I was young so "I've" never done it myself.

People get very passionate about this LOL My viewpoint is that if you want to cook your food on a bunsen burner (sp?) than get gas but if you want your food to taste good - get charcoal! :D Ok seriously, I prefer charcoal for taste and smell, but a lot of people like gas cause it's quicker to heat up and probably a bit easier to use.

Ease of use go for gas, now charcoal gives it that distinctive taste. We have both. I use the gas more because it is easier to use (don't have to wait for the coals).

I think it is personal preference.

Also I just went and filled our propane tank for it the other day and WOW! It cost me way to much money. Almost double of what last year was. (just a thought to add in there)

We are debating a future purchase of another grill and are discussing whether to go back to a charcoal one.

What are your thoughts? Which of these have you liked better? I only remember grilling on charcoal when I was young so "I've" never done it myself.

Gas is much easier, but charcoal makes the food taste better.

all our meat, we prefer GAS. Our Webber grill is right outside our kitchen and as long as our grill is not buried under snow, dh grills. If I was only grilling once in a while, I'd probably go with charcoal as it does taste better.

Because we grill all of our meat (beef, chicken and fish), we go with what my dh can use quickly. He loves to make those little "X"s all over the meat - just like Outback. He tried smoking some meat once, didn't have the patience for it.

:D

We love hardwood charcoal - not the briquettes. I can taste the petroleum products on Kingsford and the like. I grew up with gas and loved the convenience. I can remember helping my dad shovel a path out the the grill in the middle of winter for a good steak. However, with a chimney starter, the coals are ready fairly quickly, so I can live with the "inconvenience".

We have had both over the years and decided Charcoal is the way to go. We had a few reasons for deciding on that.

1. The movers won't take propane tanks anymore and it's a real pain to have to worry about that with as much as we move.

2. The food tastes better

3. If you've ever run out of propane right in the middle of cooking it's truly a pain, with charcoal we always know if we have enough fuel to cook our meal because we know how much we need to put in before we start.

Those are just our findings over the last 11 years. When we got married all those years ago my dh had never used a charcoal grill. His dad was always paranoid the guys would burn the house down so he never taught them. I taught him how and we did the mini weber for many years. Then we bought a gas grill and found we didn't grill as much because it didn't have that char-grilled flavor. We eventually went back to charcoal after the last gas grill went caput. We have a wonderful Aussie brand Monaro grill and we love it.

We use gas, with a smoker box full of wood chips for flavor. We are usually very busy, and just don't have time to wait for charcoal.

If you have the time, I'd go for charcoal - nothing makes better toasted marshmallows:D (oh yeah, the food tastes good too). If you are usually pressed for time, get gas.

We love hardwood charcoal - not the briquettes.

Yes, we do too. Whenever I go to Trader Joe's I get a couple of bags, but in a pinch we do use Kingsford.

We have a small gas grill here for convenience sake, but when we really want the food to taste good we use our Weber Kettle Grill. It is awesome!! We've had the same one for about 15 years and it is still going strong!

ETA: we use a chimney for starting fires too. I can't imagine going back to lighter fluid. The chimney is better in every conceivable way! :)