Menu

heard trashmen yell "WOW" at all my trash

we have trash pickup once a week and I have spent all week de-cluttering. We put trash in the back behind the garage to be picked up. I heard the guys yelling wow when they got to my trash, there was so much. I just hope some day they don't knock on my door and tell me that I have met my trash guota lol.

:lol:

Once when we decluttered, we watched the guy *start* to pitch stuff in the truck and then pull something out and toss it in the cab. Immediately the driver hopped out and they both poked through stuff before pitching it in and moving on. I got tickled because I *thought* I had taken anything truly *useful* to Goodwill. But HEY! If they can use it, GO FOR IT! :lol:

My cousin is a garbage man. He does come home with cool stuff from time to time. Once someone threw out a brand new power generator. He ended up picking it up, and going back the next week and knocking on the door to make sure they really meant to throw it out. It had worked beautifully.

The people thought it was broken since it didn't work. They thought if you plugged it in during a black out it would generate power. They didn't know you needed to put fuel into it. :confused:

They did say he could keep it.

My cousin is a garbage man. He does come home with cool stuff from time to time. Once someone threw out a brand new power generator. He ended up picking it up, and going back the next week and knocking on the door to make sure they really meant to throw it out. It had worked beautifully.

The people thought it was broken since it didn't work. They thought if you plugged it in during a black out it would generate power. They didn't know you needed to put fuel into it. :confused:

Oh my word! :lol: "plugged it in during a black out"??

What a man of integrity he is!

Oh my word! :lol: "plugged it in during a black out"??

I have a friend who used to work at a call center. Someone called b/c their computer wasn't working. They went through normal stuff and then friend asked if it was still plugged in. "Hold on. I need to get a flashlight, the power is out."

I heard the guys yelling wow when they got to my trash, there was so much.

My cousin is a garbage man.

Hey, I heard an interesting interview on the Bob Edwards show a few months ago. He talked w/ Robin Nagle, an anthropologist-in-residence at the NYC Dept. of Sanitation. I think you can look up old shows & listen to podcasts. Her interview was Wed., Oct. 27, 2010. In addition, here is an online interview/write-up I found:

http://www.believermag.com/issues/201009/?read=interview_nagle

(Thought you &/or your cousin might enjoy reading it.)

Edited by Stacia

Since our county took over our trash service, if we have more than fits inside the can, the company will leave it and attach a note saying that if we have excess trash we can rent an additional can for "X" dollars per month.

This is the same company we had before the government contracted... and they used to take anything we set out. @@

Hey, I heard an interesting interview on the Bob Edwards show a few months ago. He talked w/ Robin Nagle, an anthropologist-in-residence at the NYC Dept. of Sanitation. I think you can look up old shows & listen to podcasts. Her interview was Wed., Oct. 27, 2010. In addition, here is an online interview/write-up I found:

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/party_ideas.html

(Thought you &/or your cousin might enjoy reading it.)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: birthday party ideas?

Dh can always tell if I've been decluttering. On my off weeks we only fill one trash can. When I am purging, we fill 2 cans full and sometimes have extra. We technically have a 5 bag limit but we go over that frequently and have never been charged. Since our village pays for the service for the entire village, it's more a 5 bag average than a rigid rule.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: birthday party ideas?

I'm really getting a kick out of imagining this one.

"Okay, kids, since Earth Day is coming up, I thought we would focus on using less resources for this party. Go on out to the trash cans and see what you can find. There's a prize for whoever finds things to play with and better yet, see if you can dig out something to be a birthday cake!!"

That is funny we just changed trash services 2 weeks ago and we had a ton of trash (spring cleaning and building a second bathroom) this past Friday. I was gone taking the kids on a field trip when I got back they only dumped the two trash cans that were not very full:glare: I took what I thought was good to the Goodwill also (before trash day). But then a very nice Buick pulls up:auto: and starts loading their car up it took them 20 minutes to get it to all fit. I always say one mans trash is another mans treasure. :001_smile: I was just so glad they did because we had our sons birthday party the next day and I did not want anyone to see that trash. ;)

If only it worked like that, our energy crisis would be over :lol:

MAGIC POWER!

I'm pretty surprised at how so many of you are able to put as much trash out as you want! We have unlimited recycling pickup, but trash... one can only! I think this is a good thing, as I know people who wouldn't bother recycling otherwise, but it's a pain to have to go to the dump to get rid of things when doing remodeling and decluttering.

We have unlimitied garbage pick up. But I think the reason is that we live in a university town. Many people say that regardless of any limits the students will just put out what they want when they want. During certain times of the year it's just accepted by the garbage men that huge loads will be put out, including furniture....

Also many people forget to put out garbage for a week or two, and then it's a huge load.

wow, I never knew people had to pay for trash pickup or had limits. I guess we are pretty lucky here, no charge and no limits. And to think that I was perturbed that they would not take my old tv, they put a sign on it for me to call public works to have it picked up. I feel quilty that I was perturbed. I should be thankful for no charges and no limits, which I am thankful for.

When we bought our house, I was expecting to have to pay a fee for garbage pickup, but the town takes care of it. No limits. I once had big glass shower doors and a toilet to put out. I called for a large item pickup and they were here within 15 minutes. I was stunned. Small towns do have advantages.

We lived in a house in Japan where the trash and recycling were so complicated. There were a dozen bins along the side of the road. All of the houses in the neighborhood put their trash there. We had to sort everything by type and color, and use different kinds of bags. I thought I had it figured out, but I was wrong. They took all of our trash out of the bins and brought them back to our doorstep!