Menu

Poll: How would you feel about skydiving as an 18th birthday celebration?

Sooooo, my dd wants to go skydiving for her 18th birthday. I don't know how I feel about this. I, myself, have always wanted to go but currently do not consider myself in the right shape for it. However, my husband would NEVER go. He is a much more cautious person than I, and he has major concerns. Of course, my dd is going to be 18 and could go ahead and go without any input from us. But at this point, she respects and values our feelings about this.

I was all gung-ho with no reservations at all until my dh started googling skydiving accidents in an area near us. The accident rate was NOT comforting. Now we're digging for information for the next closest outfit and nothing is coming up. I think that is a positive thing.?!?

Anyway, I just wondered what you all thought of your child skydiving. :D I would particularly love to hear from people who have gone skydiving and from people whose children have gone skydiving.

ETA: I forgot to add the poll! Aaaack! If someone wants to send me a pm with instructions how to add a poll after the fact, that'd sure be nice. At least I think I heard it's still possible if noone has added a comment yet.

Edited by Natalieclare

My neighbor went skydiving for her 40th birthday. I think the company was in Issaquah but I'd have to ask her for sure. She had a blast. She got a video and some still shots of the experience.

I know there is a paragliding outfit in Issaquah, but we haven't seen any skydiving there. If you have a name of a good place, we'd love to have it!

What about you, Jean? Would you go? How would you feel about your kids going?

My dh would adamantly say no. At 18? I'd probably steer him toward a nice balloon ride instead, those are nice. But I'm a big chicken and hate heights.

I had someone explain to me in very vivid detail the rush of skydiving. It sounds lovely. However if one parent had extreme reservations I'd find a nice alternative.

Tell her to make out a living will before she does, just in case and to have loads of fun, so long as Pappa Bear doesn't tie her to the beams in the basement.

(Seriously, I know that sounds morbid but I'm just trying to be practical). At 16-17, we all had to talk about our living will preferences and my dad had us make them out for real when we turned 18.

We told our dd, that if she wanted to do that, then she needed to be able to have her own health insurance..

Instead, she did something really awesome... went to Thailand :)

Later, she said, 'ya know, i'm kind of glad you guys made me think that one through a little bit, because i realize it was a little overrated.

Don't want to be a stick in the mud....but i'm a realist...and it needs to be her decision and be responsible for the outcome :)

Even if it's a blast..

The young people in our group (we did it as a church fund raiser) all loved it. I thought it was amazing and terrifying all at once. We jumped from 14,ooo feet on a gorgeous NW afternoon and the view was incredible. However, my tandem landed badly and I broke my tail bone. It also took me 3 weeks to unplug my left ear. But boy do I have a cool story! My boys think I'm the bomb!

Would I let my 18 yod do it? Wow...that's tough!

I know that wasn't much help, but thought my story would give some insight. The company we used is out of Shelton.

Holly

I'm scared of heights and so are my kids!:D

Ah, that makes things simple then. My dds and I are just not wired that way. :tongue_smilie:

I went as a young adult and I can tell you my parents *hated* it!:lol:

:lol::lol:

I'd let her go, but... my husband's airborne in the Army (well, Guard now, but was Army). Nothing to me was scarier than watching him jump. Civilian skydiving, I'd be more than fine with. The parachutes look sturdier. LOL

Well, sturdier... that's comforting...I think!

My dh would adamantly say no. At 18? I'd probably steer him toward a nice balloon ride instead, those are nice. But I'm a big chicken and hate heights.

I had someone explain to me in very vivid detail the rush of skydiving. It sounds lovely. However if one parent had extreme reservations I'd find a nice alternative.

I've been mentioning alternatives: a ride in a sea plane, hot air balloon, ropes course...Nothing compares to skydiving, I guess. In August, an indoor skydiving venue is opening up. It looks like it would be right up our alley, and I'm sure she'll save up to go there. But, her birthday is in April and she wants to celebrate with panache!

Tell her to make out a living will before she does, just in case and to have loads of fun, so long as Pappa Bear doesn't tie her to the beams in the basement.

(Seriously, I know that sounds morbid but I'm just trying to be practical). At 16-17, we all had to talk about our living will preferences and my dad had us make them out for real when we turned 18.

This is a great point. We've been talking tonight about the possibility of a bad outcome and trying to imagine how we'd feel if she were to become paralyzed or some other tragedy. I'm thankful she is very reasonable and willing to look difficult things full in the face.

:iagree:

I'll first research to make sure they aren't going with a 'bad' company. But other then that I'll have no problem with it. My dh is training for his private pilot license and says, "I see no point in jumping out of a working plane".

But then my eldest is only 6, so risky stuff like this isn't even on the horizon yet. (I would research the information on risks, and what not. I remember doing so years ago for various kid sports and was surprised to find out which ones are the most dangerous)

Hahaha to the pilot hubs!

I'd do it and let my kids do it, but i think the health insurance/ living will things are spot on.

The accident rate would bother me: if we couldn't find one w/ a better rate, I'd ask to either travel to one that does or postpone it [and do something else fantastical. :) ].

{{Mr. Boo is a pilot too}}

This subject has just come up at our house this week. A girl from our church who is 20 (still living at home) went skydiving without letting her parents know because she knew they would say no. She had a great time.

I told my kids that if they are 18 and decided to do something like this, they'd better let me know so I could come and watch. My dd has decided that she's going to do it on her 18th birthday and my dh will probably go with her (We are going to check on his life insurance rules first - LOL). I would never go, but I decided a long time ago that I was not going to impose my fears on my kids and limit their lives (especially as 18 is an adult).

My best friend growing up was never allowed to go to amusements parks/skiing/swimming (without the parents), all kinds of normal activities, because her parents were afraid she would get hurt. Even in high school her activities were severely restricted. That experience convinced me that I needed to be careful not to limit my dc because of my own fears.

you mean, out of a perfectly good airplane?!!!;)

not on my watch

:iagree: I would never give permission to skydive. I think it's insane. I just think it's crazy. Why? Same with bungie jumping. I've seen enough videos of accidents to say....Um....NO!

My son has gone. He was over 18. :glare: If one of my kids does it, I don't want to know before hand. I don't want to see pictures or video. I'd rather just not know about it at all, but if they tell me, I'll be sure to add wisdom to my list of prayers for them. :D

but I decided a long time ago that I was not going to impose my fears on my kids and limit their lives (especially as 18 is an adult).

I agree with this mostly. My DH is afraid of snakes and I get mad at him when he shows it in front of the kids because I feel that it's just passing on an unreasonable fear. I've no problem that he is afraid. I just want him to avoid teaching our kids to be afraid. (So I chase them down and pick them up to balance it out!)

BUT! Some fear has a purpose. Some fears are wise and reasonable. I've no problem teaching my kids to fear something that is inherently dangerous. So on that, I disagree with you. I would want my kids to be afraid to jump out of an airplane and would have no problem teaching them to have a healthy, and IMHO, wise, fear of that!

I don't know how I'd feel about my kid doing it, but I think if we found a reputable company, I'd not give him or her too hard of a time about it. One of my roommates from college went skydiving, and she had a video of it. After watching the video, it didn't look nearly as frightening as I would have imagined. She did one where her rip cord was pulled for her. She had to hold on to a bar on the side of the plane and then let go when they told her to. Then, somehow, they pulled her rip cord when she was at the right distance. Apparently, the hardest part is learning how to land without hurting yourself.

If my child wants to do an adult-level activity and he/she is of the age of consent to do the activity, I would talk to them about necessary precautions or other things to think about- I might even help them research it- and then send them on their way. I would not pay for certain activities. This is one on that list.

My teen and I watched an episode of 19 Kids and Counting where Michelle Duggar did this when one of the older girls turned 18. Looked like fun, and my teen was intrigued--would I do this with her? I said sure, but we haven't brought it up with her dad yet . . . of course we do have 3 years before she's 18 (plenty of time for ME to chicken out!)

I am absolutely terrified of heights for some reason ever since I had children. I would not want them to and would be a complete and total wreck. However my husband would be ok with it and probably want to go with them. I'd prefer he wait till I'm dead and gone though. LOL

Natalie, my neighbor just told me that she went skydiving. The company is in Snohomish. If you want a link, pm me and I can give it to you. My neighbor would like credit for "referring" you. She chose to do it tandem, which is less scary since someone experienced is there to make sure you're doing it right.

Please forgive length--typing while nursing...:D

Snohomish is the place with the lousy record...:tongue_smilie:

I haven't had a chance to read all the other posts yet, but my husband started skydiving when he was 18. He loved it and has over 350 now. He hasn't been in a few years because of finances, but when we were married he had his own parachute and took it very seriously. Now he's a pilot and that's kinda taken over the love. When I was teaching in a private school, I took my class to the drop zone and we all learned a LOT about it. Although I've never done it, I probably would let me child do it as long as my very responsible husband was overseeing! ;)