Menu

American girl dolls/books....educate me please, DD wants one.

DD6 is turning 7 next month and is asking for an American Girl doll. She cares for toys well so I'm sure she will take care of it. She's been asking since she was 4 and "Santa" got her an off-brand one when she was 5 and she's been very happy with it (actually, she doesn't even know the difference). She's been surfing the American Girl website and Etsy (for clothing) a lot here lately. She was looking through the "create your own" dolls, but she finally settled on wanting Kit.

I have a few questions.

For one....the hair. Of course DD's off brand doll has atrocious hair. If the American Girl doll gets mixed in with other stuffed animals and her hair is going everywhere, then is there any hope of taming it again? Do you need a special brush?

For two....the books. Do you think that DD is old enough to enjoy them? I'd be reading them to her, but I was wondering if she's too young to enjoy them yet? And I know there's a Kit movie as well. Do you think she's old enough to enjoy that? If I could find it for cheap, I thought I could put it in with Kit on her birthday.

DD is extremely excited about the possibility of getting Kit. She's saved a TON of clothing to the favorites folder on my Etsy account (much cheaper than the ones on the AG website). And she's even found some bunk beds on Etsy. And she saw a doll carrier at Target today for their My Generation Girls that she really wants. This is all sounding very expensive LOL....actually she gets $100 from her grandparents that she can put towards accessories if I get her the doll.

Does AG ever run specials or have codes? Although I don't really have too much time to wait for them to run a special. Someone told me to check on eBay first.....I really want a new doll though. I wonder if any of them on eBay are new?

Thanks for any info that anyone can give!

DD6 is turning 7 next month and is asking for an American Girl doll. She cares for toys well so I'm sure she will take care of it. She's been asking since she was 4 and "Santa" got her an off-brand one when she was 5 and she's been very happy with it (actually, she doesn't even know the difference). She's been surfing the American Girl website and Etsy (for clothing) a lot here lately. She was looking through the "create your own" dolls, but she finally settled on wanting Kit.

I have a few questions.

For one....the hair. Of course DD's off brand doll has atrocious hair. If the American Girl doll gets mixed in with other stuffed animals and her hair is going everywhere, then is there any hope of taming it again? Do you need a special brush?

For two....the books. Do you think that DD is old enough to enjoy them? I'd be reading them to her, but I was wondering if she's too young to enjoy them yet? And I know there's a Kit movie as well. Do you think she's old enough to enjoy that? If I could find it for cheap, I thought I could put it in with Kit on her birthday.

DD is extremely excited about the possibility of getting Kit. She's saved a TON of clothing to the favorites folder on my Etsy account (much cheaper than the ones on the AG website). And she's even found some bunk beds on Etsy. And she saw a doll carrier at Target today for their My Generation Girls that she really wants. This is all sounding very expensive LOL....actually she gets $100 from her grandparents that she can put towards accessories if I get her the doll.

Does AG ever run specials or have codes? Although I don't really have too much time to wait for them to run a special. Someone told me to check on eBay first.....I really want a new doll though. I wonder if any of them on eBay are new?

There are Kit, Molly, and Chrissa movies. They're all great, but the Molly movie was especially moving (for me at least--I blubbered through a good percentage of it!).

There are often NIB dolls on eBay, and AG usually does a free shipping code once or twice a year. I think someone posted about it recently, but I don't know when it expired.

The hair has held up pretty well for us, but I also don't allow them to get thrown in the with the rest of the stuffed animals. They're special dolls and require special care--I'm not super nitpicky about it, but the dolls are kept in their rooms. DD5's dolls have a bed, and DD8 keeps hers on a shelf. They play with them often. They were all just out for a sea voyage this morning, in fact! The accessories are beautiful and high-quality and get tons of use. There are also doll hospitals you can send (or bring) them to when they need rehab--I think hair is one of their biggest fixes. So far though, the hair has been fine here. DD8 does have an American Girl brush and spray bottle that she uses on the dolls' hair when she's in the mood

I think 7 is probably old enough to enjoy the books, especially if she's invested in the doll and her story. DD8 has been reading them for at least a year on her own, so depending on your DD's maturity level, I bet she'd enjoy them.

The AG dolls have been a big hit here. I highly recommend them if she's really ready.

We currently own 8 of the AG dolls and Kit has the easiest hair of the bunch to care for. You do need either the AG brush or a wig brush. A regular hair brush will not do well.

My 7 year old has been fine with the books. We have the Kit movie and so far, Boo-Boo hasn't much cared to watch it so I can't comment there. Boo-Boo owns Julie, Kit, Kaya, and Lanie and Kit is a favorite. The dolls have been the best toy investments we have made. A few of the dolls were purchased off Craig's List and at a garage sale by my MIL so we have not purchased all of them brand new.

I believe the Pleasant Company (developer of AG) originally intended to market the dolls to 7 year olds. We have many books and a few dolls, your dd is probably at a perfect age. We've not had trouble caring for AG hair. We do have the brush for it. My dd keeps her dolls on a shelf, not in a toy box with random other dolls and stuffed toys.

Thanks everyone!

I searched online for a coupon code and found one for free shipping, so that saved me nearly $14.

I got Kit for her....she's going to be so excited. And I also ordered the brush that goes with it, just in case.

I'll have her keep Kit seperate from all other dolls and stuffed animals like a few of you mentioned.

That's awesome that they were originally marketed to 7 year olds. Hopefully she will enjoy the books. I think we'll give them a shot since she's getting the book with Kit. I just hope that my 4 year old remains happy with her Springfield Doll that she got a few years ago and the My Generation Doll that she bought at Target today with birthday money.....I can't spend that kind of money on a 4 year old LOL.

I can't wait to give it to her!

My daughter got Rebecca for Christmas and she has taken very good care of it, but the hair is very difficult to manage. It's amazing how knotted it gets. We bought the AG hair comb that was recommended for Rebecca, but I can still barely get it through the hair.

Anyway, my daughter goes to an AG book club and one of the other little girls has Kit and the hair looks perfect. So, I think Kit is a good choice.

Lisa

I have a few questions.

My 7yo has enjoyed listening to all of the books and watching the movies (we all enjoyed those) for over a year now. She is just starting to enjoy reading the books herself.

I believe American girl dolls do need a special hairbrush and their hair can be tamed with I either a spray of water or a light conditioner (think detangler spray), because they are made with wig hair and oils from your dd's hairbrush isn't good for them. (I think you can check that information on their website somewhere).

You do need a special hairbrush, either from AG, or a wig brush, and I would recommend getting a set of ponytail holders that is only to be used on the doll's hair, so oils from human hair don't wreck the doll's hair. And a small spray bottle; the hair brushes better when it's damp. We have Kirsten and one of the Just Like You dolls; the JLY doll's hair is more manageable -- Kirsten has a TON of hair. DD keeps her dolls separate from other stuffed friends, and I encourage her to keep them sitting up if the hair isn't braided (particularly Kirsten). I think 7 is a great age for the AG dolls!

I got a Samantha doll when I was 9 (one of the very first ones when Pleasant Company first premiered) and I loved it. If anything I was a little old, because I only had a few years for playing and collecting before I moved on to tween things. I gave my oldest a Felicity doll just before her 7th birthday, because I wanted her to have plenty of years to enjoy her. You won't regret getting it for her now.

There's also a Samantha movie. Actually, I found the Kit movie to be the most difficult to "suspend disbelief" over because the bad guys were just so incredibly overdone and buffoonish.

My girlfriend, a doll collector, rescued a Kirsten we got at a yard sale. Kirsten's hair was totally wrecked. She dampened it, used a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner (I think we had Garnier Fructis) and the wig brush. As was said earlier, don't try to brush the doll hair with the same brush used by people because the oils will attract dirt.

You can get clothes that will fit at many craft stores but the AG dolls have huge feet compared to other similar dolls and the shoes won't fit. There are tons of videos on Youtube from girls who have made all sorts of accessories for their dolls. My daughter (age 10) loves to watch them.

There's also a Samantha movie. Actually, I found the Kit movie to be the most difficult to "suspend disbelief" over because the bad guys were just so incredibly overdone and buffoonish.

My girlfriend, a doll collector, rescued a Kirsten we got at a yard sale. Kirsten's hair was totally wrecked. She dampened it, used a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner (I think we had Garnier Fructis) and the wig brush. As was said earlier, don't try to brush the doll hair with the same brush used by people because the oils will attract dirt.

You can get clothes that will fit at many craft stores but the AG dolls have huge feet compared to other similar dolls and the shoes won't fit. There are tons of videos on Youtube from girls who have made all sorts of accessories for their dolls. My daughter (age 10) loves to watch them.

Could you share some links to some of the videos or tell me what to look for? My dd would love to watch something like this. :)

We have loved the Felicity and Kit movies. Of the books, we have enjoyed the Felicity and Josefina and Kit series the best. Some of the other series, imo, are a bit snarky. We have stopped books mid-chapter and put them away. The "mystery" books have also been fun, but they aren't tied as closely to the characters.

We have the Felicity and Elizabeth dolls (recently retired). Elizabeth's hair is much easier to care for than Felicity's. I hear that Josefina's hair is very coarse and hard to manage, but that other dolls have better hair. So, research your doll. ;)

I have not seen good, reliable coupon codes. If you are trying for a good deal, I would get a doll on craig's list or ebay and then use the doll hospital tricks to try to revamp her. A separate doll hair brush is worth the $7.

Could you share some links to some of the videos or tell me what to look for? My dd would love to watch something like this. :)

Search on "American Girl Doll room tours" or "American Girl doll crafts" and that should get you started. Given that it's youtube, standard disclaimer---don't let kids loose on it unsupervised.

Searching google on "AG doll crafts" will give you a good bit as well. My daughter has used some of those Japanese eraser sets that are popular as accessories, though the scale varies widely. We also like to explore the dollar store, thrift stores, office supply areas, etc.

Edited by KarenNC

As for the brush, we bought a doll hair brush put out by Gotz at a local independent toy store. I don't remember how much it was, but I think it was less than $7 (of course, that was a few years ago as well).

If you sew (or know someone who does/will), here are free pdfs of historical outfits for several of the dolls. AG put these pattern sets out several years ago, but no longer carries them. http://www.agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html. You can find other patterns sized to fit them in the craft sections of pattern books at your local fabric store.

Edited by KarenNC

How could I have forgotten the Samantha and Felicity movies? :001_huh: Though I'm not thrilled with the message in Felicity (which seems to basically be "Misbehave as much as you can in the name of principle, and your rich grandfather will buy you what you want in the end!"), my kids love that movie. We haven't managed to get Samantha from the library yet.

Search on "American Girl Doll room tours" or "American Girl doll crafts" and that should get you started. Given that it's youtube, standard disclaimer---don't let kids loose on it unsupervised.

Searching google on "AG doll crafts" will give you a good bit as well. My daughter has used some of those Japanese eraser sets that are popular as accessories, though the scale varies widely. We also like to explore the dollar store, thrift stores, office supply areas, etc.

Wow, thanks for this!! DD6 and I spent several hours today ooohing and aaahing over the room tours. We even cleared out the bottom of DD's closet to make space for her own room that she's eager to get started on.

And she's decided that she wants an American Girl birthday party next month instead of the carnival one that we'd originally planned to have (we'll save that one for next year....she was very torn on which to choose). It will be perfect since she'll be getting Kit! Now I've got to plan some things to do.

I have a few questions.

Hmm.. We haven't had much luck with keeping my DD's 2 AG dolls' hair tidy. That is the one problem I have with the dolls she has. We have a special comb but the hair itself seems to just get very 'frizzy' no matter what we do.

She's enjoyed them though!