Menu

Child Molester gets out of jail on the agreement that he-

gets neutered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/04/francis-phillip-tullier-castrated-child-molester_n_831502.html

I mean, am I the only one that thinks this is the most stupid thing ever?

Just because his anatomy doesn't work right doesn't mean he has no other weapons.:glare:

Or does the surgery change the brain?

I give them a FAIL.

gets neutered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/04/francis-phillip-tullier-castrated-child-molester_n_831502.html

Just because his anatomy doesn't work right doesn't mean he has no other weapons.:glare:

I give them a FAIL.

With you on the major fail. Most of the abuse I suffered didn't include interaction that castration would prevent.

Castration is a punishment; not a way to keep children safe.

Boy, I don't know as I'm not a medical professional. I did know a jail chaplain one time that said that chemical castration (the felon comes to a clinic each week during probation for hormone injections) does take the "desire" out of them. He said for those that did stick to the program, 80% did not relapse while taking the shots.

Of course, I'm dubious because it's hard for me to imagine a molester owning up, "OH yeah, I accosted a kid this week!", and going back to jail. Given that so many of their victims never come forward, I just can't imagine this being preventative.

Once child molesting is proven conclusively, I'm all for locking them up and throwing away the key. I know that sounds uncivilized, but sometimes I do think there comes a time when someone chooses to do something so evil that they forfeit their rights to be treated civilly.

I can't help but feel it's a failure. But, I suppose that it's possible that making them a eunach does reduce recidivism. I'd want some medical/psychological studies on this that really back that up before scums get to start having get out of jail surgery at the taxpayers expense on the backs of children!

Faith

The whole idea of castration is to remove the desire. I just don't think there is enough data to know for certain that this works well enough to allow someone into society. For instance r*pe is a power thing, not a s*xual thing, I just don't think we know enough about the motivation behind other s* crimes

Lara

Not only FAIL but Epic FAIL!

Regardless of the scientific aspects of hormones, he committed a crime against girls that put him in jail. And not only that but according to the article it was "hundreds".

Ugh.

I know. I mean, I'm all for seeing both sides of the argument, but *hundreds*?

I don't think this is going to work, and if I were that judge there is no way I'd be able to sleep.

I understand the anger on one point. On another I recently had my dog neutered. The difference in him was instantaneous. I know people are not dogs but he went from jumping on everything, peeing on everything to being completely sweet and docile. He has never marked or humped anything since he came home.

Like I said, animals aren't people but I am certain that testosterone works the same way for men, especially sexual predators.

Now on the flip side, letting him loose is ridiculous because he can easily find a way to get testosterone supplements or cream. Sexual predators are resourceful.

I don't really care whether or not it reduces repeat offenders... It is like saying that the reason the man committed these crimes against girls is because he is male, something that he hasn't got control over.

The man committed the crime, was sentenced to what I assume was an appropriate amount of jail time, and should serve that time. Now if they want to make castration a condition of his parole once he has served the time, I'm fine with that.

I haven't read all the replies, but if you read some of the comments in the Huffington Post article, there is a link to one of the articles from when he was first charged. His offense is stated there and I will not list it here, but it doesn't seem that castration is going to matter to him that much.

Disgusting.

For instance r*pe is a power thing, not a s*xual thing

I've heard this for years, but I don't think it is true in all patients. I work with rapists ( mentally ill rapists) and some people who walk and talk are operating, morally, on a reptilian brain. See food--grab food. See woman --grab woman. And yet, until you interact with them, you don't know they have a problem. You could pass them in the store and think them just a little dull in the IQ department. (I.e. in order to get a thrill over the power over the other person, you have to see them as a person who can be dominated. Some people just see others (and themselves) as "things". Do you feel you dominate a car when you turn on the ignition?)

Treatment, response, and disposition need to be individualized. (I am not commenting about his case in particular, because I don't know the particulars. I do know there is a push to get people out of institutions because without that philosophy, there will be more and more people in them, and the state governments are panicking over the price-tag.)

I'm not sure that it would work. There are TONS of men that have lots of testosterone and a high sex drive. There are NOT lots of men that are sexual predators. It takes more than just lots of testosterone to make a sexual predator.

I think they are crazy for releasing this guy. Yes, castrate him for punishment....don't release him.

I don't see how castration absolves him from the sentence he deserved for the crime he committed. If I was his victim, it would be a slap in the face for him to be offered this alternative. He deserves to complete his sentence...then they should castrate him. :glare:

They should NEVER be allowed out.

They are incurable and even were it possible to cure them, which I do not believe, they still need to pay for their crimes.

:iagree::iagree:

In a recent assignment in my school, I had to write about personal biases and their effect on my practice of marriage and family therapy. The above was one of my biases.

gets neutered.

I give them a FAIL.

:iagree: This is d-d-d-dumb

Joann, you and I share the same bias! Seriously, if the evidence is conclusive, I am all for locking them in solitary and leaving them there to rot. I am just sick of wicked, evil, depraved, predators getting out so they can do it again.

Faith

Yup. I believe in miracles. I believe in total transformation. I, myself, am recovering from a seemingly hopeless state of body and mind.

But pedophiles? Nope. Never.

Hummm... does this mean that if someone commits murder with a gun, that we just take away his gun and let him go free?

That if a drug pusher gets caught, we just take away his drugs and let him go free?

That if a car thief gets caught, we just take away his driver's license and coat hanger and let him go free?

The reasoning behind the decision to let this man go free is flawed. There are many, many ways to inflict despicable harm to innocent children and the decommissioning of one piece of equipment will not stop this piece of scum.

If we as a society have any hope of continuing - we have to stop these kinds of people from EVER being allowed the freedom to do this again!

Sorry, such strong language, but does anyone else out there look around sometimes and think, "Our justice system has gone completely nuts?"

I would also like to point out that if prison over crowding is one reason that something like this is being considered, there are alternatives.

A few years ago a law professor in Arizona, along with one his classes, investigated possible ways to relieve prison overcrowding without putting the community at risk. One thing he found was a high number of very elderly inmates who'd been sentenced to life without parole and many of them were in very poor health. As in, going to die fairly soon health...cancer, mega heart disease, aids, type one diabetes and on dialysis, etc. Though they had committed murder, the reality is that they could be safely released to half-way houses for less money to incarcerate than prison, thus making room for scums that are going to commit their crimes again once released. These elderly inmates were in such poor health, they couldn't even begin to commit a crime against anyone else. But, though he brought his study before the legislature, nothing changed. So many families, so much pain, and all of them screaming, "Don't release that one, he killed my....." etc. It was sooooooo emotionally charged and I completely understand that.

Yet, I think some sanity needs to be introduced into the system. We have to look at the good of the innocent and especially the children. If releasing a barely alive murderer who can no longer do any harm, means keeping a predator off the streets, then I think we have to consider that as a very good option. Punishment or community retribution should not be such a hard and fast rule that we are willing to sacrifice more victims in order to make a now harmless felon's sentence stick. I'd much rather a 90 year old man dying of cancer be released to a half-way house even if his crimes were heinous and know that he can no longer hurt anyone else, than release a 30 something predator who has a lot of years and health left to prey on the community.

Faith

I do know there is a push to get people out of institutions because without that philosophy, there will be more and more people in them, and the state governments are panicking over the price-tag.)

I wish the state governments would be concerned with the cost to the community of the people they let out. :(

I cannot tell you how many stories I've seen on the news where a child goes missing, is later found naked lying dead in some ditch, discarded like garbage after some predator has finished with them only to find out later that the predator was a repeat offender that had recently been let out of jail.

Hummm... does this mean that if someone commits murder with a gun, that we just take away his gun and let him go free?

That if a drug pusher gets caught, we just take away his drugs and let him go free?

That if a car thief gets caught, we just take away his driver's license and coat hanger and let him go free?

The reasoning behind the decision to let this man go free is flawed. There are many, many ways to inflict despicable harm to innocent children and the decommissioning of one piece of equipment will not stop this piece of scum.

If we as a society have any hope of continuing - we have to stop these kinds of people from EVER being allowed the freedom to do this again!

Sorry, such strong language, but does anyone else out there look around sometimes and think, "Our justice system has gone completely nuts?"

:iagree::iagree: How can a man who has HUNDREDS of counts against him be "cured" by castration. He is sick and I cannot be cured IMO.