Menu

Can I see your Kindergarten schedule?

mom2denj

I am getting ready to make a schedule. I would love to see how you break up your day. We are doing a full K day. Math, reading, science, bible, art, handwriting, and we are going to use AAS. We are going to take it easy. I I am not going to do everything everyday. We will be doing math and reading everyday. I am just not sure how to schedule. I HAVE to have a schedule though. =)

Edited by mom2denj

What we are doing right now (our daily goal ;) )

10-1030am Circle time. Do some drilling, some singing, poetry, and review calendar and days events. Bible

1030-11am Phonics Road and activities (longer if needed)

11-1130am Free play (may put out some "stations")

1130-12pm math (m/w/f) science (t/th)

12-1230pm special stuff (read alouds, project, etc w mom)

1230-130pm Outside or free play depending on weather and illness :)

130-2pm Lunch

2-245pm Art/sensory play/ music (rotates)

245-415pm Quiet time :) (Can do history with olders if able to participate without making me pull out my hair! :D )

What we are doing is on mu blog (under "About") but we don't necessarily follow a time schedule. Certain things usually get done on certain days, like Bird Study on Mondays, Religion Study on Tuesdays, Prehistory on Sundays, etc... But I don't plan things like "9:00am - 9:15 HWT" or anything like that. More of a general plan (i.e. this afternoon we will cover Prehistory).

i had a schedule when my daughter was in kindergarten. i felt it worked out really nicely & put a good rhythm to our day. hth.

MONDAY

Math

Phonics /Reading/Writing

Nature Walk/Study

Piano Lesson

TUESDAY

Math

Phonics /Reading/Writing

Science

Library Outing

Sewing / Gardening Co-op

WEDNESDAY

Math

Phonics /Reading/Writing

Social Studies

Nature Walk/Study

Piano Practice

THURSDAY

Math

Phonics /Reading/Writing

Science

Bible

Piano Practice

FRIDAY

Math

Phonics /Reading/Writing

Social Studies

Game Center

Piano Practice

We do math (RightStart), phonics (Funnix), and handwriting (HWT) every day. We do the phonics some time in the morning, generally I wait for a little lull in the play time and swoop in with the Funnix lesson. This usually happens between 9 and 10. After that I let my two girls spend 20-30 minutes playing starfall or watching an educational video. They get to watch Kipper once a week.

At 12 or 12:30 my two and half year goes down for her nap, and I sneak upstairs with my five year old to do school. We do math for maybe 15-20 minutes, then handwriting for 5 to 10 minutes. Then we usually read some books or play a game. I send my 5 year old out for "recess" if the weather is nice, and she collects the chicken eggs. After that we do one subject that changes day-to-day.

Monday - Literature (extra read-aloud time)

Tuesday - Geography (putting together geopuzzles, reading books about different cultures and looking at maps)

Wednesday - Art (I use Scribble Art by Maryanne Kohl for art project ideas and the Child-Size Masterpieces cards, along with library books for art appreciation)

Thursday - PE (We don't always do PE but I try to have a dance video or play Simon Says or run around outside if the weather is nice)

Friday - History (Usborne Living Long Ago and books from the library)

Saturday - Science Saturday! (My daughter's favorite day of the week. We use Elemental Intro and keep it super simple with a book, discussion and an experiment/project)

I have a 7 month old tagging along during school time so it's difficult to juggle the projects at times. After we finish school for the day I turn on an audio book for my Ker and have some quiet time until the two year old wakes up. We do scripture study and memorization, additional read aloud time, and arts and crafts throughout the day informally. I spend zero time prepping each night. If we go up to the loft to start school and I have to set something up, my Ker will do something from a Kumon workbook while I set things up. We have a lot of fun!

Well the summer before 1st grade we do an intensive reading program for the student and introduction to math through workbooks and things but 'reading and math' were the only things we did daily, writing got done also.

I'm going to be scouring these types of posts for a while to see what Kindergarten looks like in most homes. My students aren't academic types at all and abhor anything 'extra' so I kept it short, but I'd have loved to do drawing and science at least 3x a week on top of our daily core.

This is approximately what I do:

9:00 sit with ds6. Do MUS lesson, one page.

Do Saxon K lesson with meeting book. I don't always do this.

Do 2 or 3 pages of practice with Handwriting Without Tears.

Do about a 1/2 page in Phonics Pathways.

Go through a set of sight word cards.

Sometimes he reads "First Steps" Pathway reader.

Sometimes, we do a "Draw Write Now"

Sometimes we do a page or two of Building Thinking Skills.

Sometimes he does a couple of dot-to-dots.

Sometimes we put together a puzzle, about 50-100 pieces.

He joins in with the big sibs for Science and History. His sit-down work takes about 1-1.5 hours.

We start around 8:15. Sometimes it's closer to 8:30.

We alternate 'writing' subjects with 'oral' or hands-on subjects, and I try to make sure all the 'writing' subjects are done in that first hour after we start. Generally, we do all of our LA stuff: handwriting, phonics, readers, spelling, writing with ease, first language lessons, phonogram cards, readywriter drill. I usually use some of our literature in there as well for non-writing subjects. Then we do a page of Miquon and read more, as well as do a calculadder drill. We take a break starting around 9:15 or 9:30 and lasting until 10:15 or 10:30. After the break, we do Right Start. History fits in on one side of the break or the other, depending on the day. We do science informally, which generally means the only science we would do in the morning would be reading a Let's Read and Find Out or Magic School Bus book. He does experiments once or twice a week in the afternoons. We listen to German & Classics for Kids during mealtimes or in the car. We also do memory work either during the morning work or in the car or whatever.

I've found that having set times for his work without worrying about the exact order within the subject has helped.

We don't have a schedule and may never have one :tongue_smilie: Basically, the things we try to get to are in my siggy (and we aren't "officially" doing K til this Fall when he would be "in" K at PS, so this is our K5, which will carry into K).

We don't even have a set M-F schedule...in fact, we do school on most Saturdays :lol: When we accomplish all our 'work' that day...this is what we typically do...

LA -

- roughly 1/2 a lesson from ETC book 1 (doing a full is just too much writing at his age, this Fall we may start with full lessons, but I don't force, so IDK);

- a step from AAS (we JUST added this to our routine, so it's new to us)

Math -

- a lesson from Singapore 1A (sometimes 2 depending on lesson)

Geography -

- a lesson (or two) from Maps, Charts Graphs; some of our Expedition Earth lessons (varies depending on country)

Science -

- nature study (letterboxing, etc) and sometimes Singapore Science

and we make a point to have him do a Headsprout episode 2-3 times a week (although, he's about to be completed with Early Reading and we will be on a break until he starts Reading Comprehension) and 2-3 visits to Math Whizz each week as well to complete sessions.

The rest of our time is playing, reading reading reading and play dates, field trips, etc. :D We have no set time when we always sit down to do work...usually right after lunch, but not often enough to say that it's a 'set' thing...it also depends on what we have going on that day...if we have a field trip or event, sometimes we do school after we get back after a rest, but sometimes we write off school that day and just carry on til the next day :D

Ours is fairly relaxed, much of this is just an enriched home but if I schedule it as 'homeschool' I'm far more likely to do it ;).

Daily: HWOT - K (10-15 minutes)

Daily: Reading alone and parent read aloud to children (DS has been reading for awhile now, did phonics and such last year. I'm planning to start spelling with him in 1st grade). Many of the books we choose cover various subjects such as social studies and science.

Daily: Bible Memory Verse (done at bedtime before prayers)

3-4x/week: Math (DS will probably beg me to do it 6x/week so we'll see how often we end up doing it)

2x/weekly: Art from Mary Ann F. Kohl's "Preschool Art" (it's actually for ages 4-8 and has great ideas, directions, supply lists all laid out.

1x/week: Nature Time (K science). We do programs through our local nature center that are fabulous)

3-4x/week: Outdoor/Gym (averaged out over the year due to bad weather in winter and nice weather in summer)

I'm going to be scouring these types of posts for a while to see what Kindergarten looks like in most homes.

Well, I don't really schedule K, but we do a full course of subjects, in a large part because the state requires it. So I can share what it looks like, more or less.

We school 4 days a week at the moment. That may change next year, as it will be my first with two (2nd and K) and a new baby. But as it stands now, 4 days, and we do handwriting, phonics, and math each day. Science and "social studies" happen twice per week. I have my own around-the-world study that we do for social studies in K, and it's a lot of picture books with some crafts and food. With my oldest, science and geo weren't always twice a week as we were even less scheduled, but we're in that routine now, and I suspect my younger will want to be like her big sister. Music and art are once per week officially. We have a PE class once per week, and most likely there will be one other day of official sport.

Right now, school is "out" before lunch, except for read alouds (which technically are school I guess, but I don't think of it that way). We start over breakfast, and there's usually a break in there. I suspect that if we don't get a bit more disciplined with our time (with my oldest) we'll be doing some school after lunch next year. I envision moving science and history/geography to afternoons if necessary, as those are considered by all the "fun" stuff. Phonics for my Ker and math/writing for my 2nd definitely will be done first.

I guess my point is, you can cover a full spectrum of subjects quite easily in a very short amount of time with just one Ker. Of course, they need lots of breaks, and in our home, lots of time between pencil-holding subjects. But more than that, lots of play. :D I think we all know that one, though.

Have fun making your schedule, and enjoy your kindergarten year together!

We don't do set times for anything. We just do it for however long it takes. While my son does school, my dd has toys/manipulatives she can play with just during school. Usually that works. :tongue_smilie:

-We start around 10:00am with a read-aloud. This helps transition from playing/watching tv to school.

-Next we do AAS. Since we are using it for Reading/phonics as well as Spelling we take it slow. Monday we read the new word cards, review old cards, introduce any new key cards or sound cards. So far he's been able to read all the cards on the first try. Tuesday we use the tiles to do the Word card words and some of the extra words. Wednesday we use Spelling City and he does the words there. Thursday he writes some of the words out (will do the phrases when we get to that point).

-Next we do Math. We are doing MEP, Addition worksheets, Time and Money.

-Next is ETC. I currently have these set to match AAS but I think we aren't going to be able to do that much longer. I take all the pages for a lesson and divide them by the 4 days we school.

-Next is Handwriting using print-offs from Donna Young and/or a lap-size white board.

-Then he reads a book to me.

-Our last morning topic is a game (usually around 11:30am). One day a week we play a game instead of doing "book" work for each subject except spelling (he thinks the tiles are a game). We may play Money Bags, Sequence, Domino parking or Smath for Math; Scrabble Jr, Boggle Jr., Very Silly Sentences for Reading. The game will be the last thing we do before lunch regardless of where that topic normally falls, otherwise it's very hard to get back into sit-down stuff.

After lunch, we do our current topic for Continents/Cultures/Habitats.

We start around 7 or 7:30, right after breakfast. About 15-30 minutes of math (Singapore, mostly, with some supplements), maybe 10 minutes tops of handwriting (HWT), and about 20 minutes cello practice. FIAR lesson/activity for about 30-40 minutes. Lately DH has been tucking in about 15 minutes or so of computer programming lesson in there somewhere, too.

All of this happens sort of around the usual morning chaos of getting dressed, feeding the baby, seeing Daddy up and out (he works late and goes to work late), and so on. My 3yo loves to 'do homeschool' too, so I have some workbooks for him and he joins in for the FIAR stuff, but he's pretty distracting so we have to work around that, too.

Official 'homeschool' is done by 9 or 9:30 -- the rest of the day is playground, reading, playing at home, field trips, library trips, playing with friends, swimming, misbehaving, etc. Our FIAR lessons have a way of informally pervading the whole day, though -- the boys will frequently run with whatever we're learning about and explore various aspects through their play. We don't have room for many toys but we have a big set of unit blocks (we could use more, actually) and they get a ton of use.

We have quiet/nap time after lunch (my K'er is a voracious reader so he's pretty willing to go along with this, as long as I keep him supplied with books) which absolutely saves me, and then I try to get everyone outside again in the late afternoon, but it's hard with the weather lately.

ETA: My 5yo also takes a Mandarin class (along with the 3yo), a sports class, and Suzuki cello.

Edited by JennyD

My DS is an older K and I'm teaching him along with my 8yo. We start at 9:00 with history, Bible, science/art/geography/history activity/timeline (rotates daily), poetry, and read aloud. This usually takes an hour or two depending on how many interruptions we have. If we're doing well, we finish 3Rs before lunch...many days we finish after lunch. He does 2 pages of ETC, a Singapore 1a lesson, reads aloud to me from various early readers, and writes a line of copywork. He gets little breaks as my attention is divided between 4 DC. After this, he is free for playtime/crafts/games/etc.

We do sit-down school from 9 am - 11:40 am 4 days a week. We also have a co-op one morning a week, she goes to German school from 9am - 11:30am on Saturdays, and we have a few afternoon activities.

We don't follow a strict schedule for our sit-down school times. We do use a weekly checklist to make sure we cover every subject appropriately. The checklist indicates how many times per week we're supposed to do each thing. Our school days usually look something like this:

9:00 - 9:30 - Math

9:30 - 10:00 - German

10:00 - 10:30 - Break, during which we watch a documentary and eat a snack

10:30 - 11:00 - 15 minutes of reading, memory work, math drills, copywork

11:00 - 11:40 - Other stuff, such as science, social studies, art, or writing

Exactly what is done in the 9-9:30, 9:30-10, and 10:30-11 blocks is flexible, so she sometimes does the reading/memory work/etc. at 9:30, and the German at 10:30.

The memory work and math drills are done on the iPod Touch, so they sometimes happen in the car instead.

She also does 15 minutes of reading at bedtime.

We do music appreciation in the car by listening to the Classics for Kids podcast. She also does piano lessons with dad in the evening.

I read various kinds of things out loud in the afternoon or at bedtime.

We also sometimes do science activities in the afternoon.

We often go to museums on the weekend.

Edited by skueppers

Out of curiousity, do you spend the whole half hour on the scheduled topic, or is it just the time frame to get it in? and then only takes 10-20 minutes? And do your kids enjoy any finger plays for circle time?

What we are doing right now (our daily goal ;) )

10-1030am Circle time. Do some drilling, some singing, poetry, and review calendar and days events. Bible

1030-11am Phonics Road and activities (longer if needed)

11-1130am Free play (may put out some "stations")

1130-12pm math (m/w/f) science (t/th)

12-1230pm special stuff (read alouds, project, etc w mom)

1230-130pm Outside or free play depending on weather and illness :)

130-2pm Lunch

2-245pm Art/sensory play/ music (rotates)

245-415pm Quiet time :) (Can do history with olders if able to participate without making me pull out my hair! :D )

Out of curiousity, do you spend the whole half hour on the scheduled topic, or is it just the time frame to get it in? and then only takes 10-20 minutes? And do your kids enjoy any finger plays for circle time?

The 30 mins is just the max we will spend on it (unless they are really into.....then we will fudge the schedule :) )

Mixed on the finger plays. I have been searching to find ones that are relivent to other subjects we are studying which holds their interest more.

If I act like I am having a lot of fun, they usually respond well.

Monday:

- Alex reads aloud to me, usually for about half an hour. She chooses the book from a basket I fill.

- We read our Five in a Row book for the week and do a social studies/history/geography lesson related to the book.

- She does 1 to 1.5 pages of math, MEP year 1b.

- We have a chapter book read-aloud, usually either a classic or something significantly above her reading level.

Tuesday - my husband is home with the kids, I'm at work:

- Alex reads aloud to him.

- They read our FIAR book and usually do a science lesson related to the book.

- They either go on a field trip or go to the homeschool community center for a Lego Engineering class.

- Ideally, she plays computer games for math fact practice. That doesn't always happen.

- Chapter book read-aloud.

Wednesday:

- Alex reads aloud to me.

- We read our FIAR book and do a language arts lesson related to the book.

- She traces and then copies the title of the FIAR book for copywork.

- She does 1 to 1.5 pages of MEP 1b.

Thursday:

- We read our FIAR book and do an art lesson related to the book.

- We read a chapter of SOTW 1 and do the narration and map work.

Friday:

- She does three pages of Sunshine Math, a puzzle-oriented supplement.

- She takes Music Around the World at the homeschool community center.

Thanks! I just found a book of finger plays I'd forgotten we had. I may have to practice them on my own before I try them with the boys.

The 30 mins is just the max we will spend on it (unless they are really into.....then we will fudge the schedule :) )

Mixed on the finger plays. I have been searching to find ones that are relivent to other subjects we are studying which holds their interest more.

If I act like I am having a lot of fun, they usually respond well.

What kind of puzzles are in the Sunshine math? (Off to look it up in a sec.) Do you think it necessary to supplement MEP or just enjoy it?

Monday:

- Alex reads aloud to me, usually for about half an hour. She chooses the book from a basket I fill.

- We read our Five in a Row book for the week and do a social studies/history/geography lesson related to the book.

- She does 1 to 1.5 pages of math, MEP year 1b.

- We have a chapter book read-aloud, usually either a classic or something significantly above her reading level.

Tuesday - my husband is home with the kids, I'm at work:

- Alex reads aloud to him.

- They read our FIAR book and usually do a science lesson related to the book.

- They either go on a field trip or go to the homeschool community center for a Lego Engineering class.

- Ideally, she plays computer games for math fact practice. That doesn't always happen.

Wednesday:

- We read our FIAR book and do a language arts lesson related to the book.

- She traces and then copies the title of the FIAR book for copywork.

Thursday:

- We read our FIAR book and do an art lesson related to the book.

- We read a chapter of SOTW 1 and do the narration and map work.

Friday:

- She does three pages of Sunshine Math, a puzzle-oriented supplement.

- She takes Music Around the World at the homeschool community center.

What kind of puzzles are in the Sunshine math? (Off to look it up in a sec.) Do you think it necessary to supplement MEP or just enjoy it?

You can see Sunshine Math here. We do the first grade level. The puzzles are kind of variable. Sometimes there are ordinary word problems, sometimes it's probability or graphing, sometimes there are little logic problems. It's not tied to a curriculum, so you get things thrown in there that you may not have covered yet. That's intentional - the idea is for the child to puzzle out ways of solving the problem. I think most of it is pretty easy.

It's not at all necessary to supplement MEP, Alex just enjoys the puzzles and, honestly, the randomness. It's kind of fun for her to have no idea what the next puzzle is going to ask her to do. We use MEP because it has a lot of puzzles, but Alex complained that there were too many places where you just had to "fill in the missing number," so I offered her Sunshine Math as a treat on Fridays.

Nice! Thanks! DS loves puzzles, so this is good info.

You can see Sunshine Math here. We do the first grade level. The puzzles are kind of variable. Sometimes there are ordinary word problems, sometimes it's probability or graphing, sometimes there are little logic problems. It's not tied to a curriculum, so you get things thrown in there that you may not have covered yet. That's intentional - the idea is for the child to puzzle out ways of solving the problem. I think most of it is pretty easy.

It's not at all necessary to supplement MEP, Alex just enjoys the puzzles and, honestly, the randomness. It's kind of fun for her to have no idea what the next puzzle is going to ask her to do. We use MEP because it has a lot of puzzles, but Alex complained that there were too many places where you just had to "fill in the missing number," so I offered her Sunshine Math as a treat on Fridays.

Schedule? What's that? :lol:

I tried to have a schedule, it never works for us. I have days of the week that I aim to get certain subjects done. But this can change at the drop of a hat.

For example, math is done M, W, F, Sa, Su. One program M-F and another Saturday and Sunday. Art is done on Fridays. But, Fridays have recently been really nice days here, so... we've been outside! I don't really worry about catching up, I figure it'll even out in the end.

Of course, I don't have to report to anyone this year, and DD is ahead of where she needs to be anyway. The only thing she really NEEDS to be doing right now is learning to read and having fun. We have fun all day, and we do phonics at bedtime. We go to bed everyday, and we've worked out a good system where DD reads one book to me in exchange for me reading a book or a couple chapters to her.

With my daughter, my son was 2. Two year olds are, I think, the most difficult age to school around. I did 30 to 40 minutes per day, Bible, math, phonics, and either history or science, I alternated. I wish I had done it bit more handwriting, but other than that it was good, she ended the year reading at a 12th grade level.

With my son, he does a bit more, he tags along for handwriting, history, and science and then has 10 minutes each of math and phonics. (Sometimes he does extra math because he enjoys math.) Here is how he is coming along with phonics in just 10 minutes a day, my daughter was further along than him in phonics but he is ahead with math:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208407

He also does Spanish on occasion if it is a fun lesson.

Schedule? What's that? :lol:

:iagree: We're finishing up MFW K and moving onto 1st grade in the next few weeks. I only spend about an hour on K. MFW doesn't take very long and I supplement with some CLE K workbooks and Hooked on Phonics. Sometimes, we do worksheets - mazes, connect the dots, etc. I also try to have a read-aloud (we read through a lot of Core K this last year).

I try to start K work first thing in the morning, because after 12, the K-er is too tired and crabby for schoolwork.

We don't have a very structured schedule, but here is what we do.

Daily: Bible (Vos and First Catechism), Read aloud, DD reads to me

4x a week: Math (RS A), handwriting/copywork, Phonics (Phonics Pathways)

2x a week: Nature study/informal Science

We do school in the mornings, usually for about an hour, depending on how much time we spend on math.

In addition, DD has a very low key co-op class once a week which covers Missions and so includes geography, history, other cultures and countries etc as well as some Bible.

We go to library storytime most weeks and DD has choir and ballet each 1x a week.

We started with a very rigid schedule. Funny how I don't see that anymore. :tongue_smilie:

We attempt to start at 9 with devotions, a read-aloud, and going over Awana Bible verses.

Then, we move into our workbox system, in that my son gets to pick what we do. We do all of our math, language arts, reading, etc. in the morning.

After lunch, we do about an hour of read-alouds, geography, science, art, etc.

I've been tweaking this but here is what has been working best for us. This is assuming we don't have a morning activity to go to (which will be the case in September when all our extracurriculars will be in the afternoon.) We are usually finished with breakfast and getting dressed, etc. by 8ish and that is when we start.

Calendar, weather, pledge

Bible and prayer

Phonics and writing

Snack - 10/10:30ish

Music practice (currently glockenspiel)

Math

Coloring/art/craft/free play

Lunch - 12/12:30ish

Quiet reading/resting time (independent)

Read alouds-literature, history, science

Late afternoon - outside time, play date or other activity depending on the day

ETA - I'm looking into getting some French music to play during the day for foreign language exposure. Also trying to incorporate ASL into our day but it always gets pushed aside, unfortunately!

Edited by kristin0713

Schedule?

My K gets up around 7 then helps me make breakfast - she is our official pancake maker.

After she eats, we play hangman then she goes off to play.

Around 10, we do phonics then math.

We typically take a walk during lunch.

She does art, origami, or math on the ipod after lunch.

We play outside in the afternoon.

She gets a story of her choice and a story of my choice after dinner, and she reads to someone.

One day a week, she goes to a ps enrichment school. They do science, technology, a literature-based unit study, art, logic and other things.

She also does Rosetta Stone 2 or 3 times a week for about 30 minutes.

• 4 months later...