Menu

iPad - Oh how I wish they were less expensive!

See...I just wish I could justify getting one LOL! I would like one...but I have an iPhone and it does all the same things, just with a smaller screen. And I have internet anywhere on my iPhone (for the iPad I would not pay the monthly 3G fee). I just can't justify the expense for something I basically already own LOL!

consoling2.gif I understand. :grouphug:

But if you put away $50/mo starting now, you can get yourself one for Christmas. :D

OMG yes! My own Christmas present! Woot! I am going to do that!

Although I may ask for Apple GCs for my b-day and get it for my b-day! Hmmmm....

See...I just wish I could justify getting one LOL! I would like one...but I have an iPhone and it does all the same things, just with a smaller screen. And I have internet anywhere on my iPhone (for the iPad I would not pay the monthly 3G fee). I just can't justify the expense for something I basically already own LOL!

Sii if I am going to spend the money then I want a BIG screen :D I don't want 3G, I don't wanna pay for it either... to bad it isn't Verizon! They really should give you the option. Humph.

I love the look of the Ipad, but Mr. Jobs won't let us nerds have flash on it. So no facebook games. So i ended up getting this instead, http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/inspiron?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&ref=gzilla and I have to say I love love love it. Plus its half the cost of an ipad. I love having the full power of a full PC in a tiny package with a touch screen.

I love the look of the Ipad, but Mr. Jobs won't let us nerds have flash on it. So no facebook games. So i ended up getting this instead, http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/inspiron?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&ref=gzilla and I have to say I love love love it. Plus its half the cost of an ipad. I love having the full power of a full PC in a tiny package with a touch screen.

I looked at that but it is more than the iPad I was looking at and if I am getting a "laptop" I want to be able to play my game on it so I *need* a video card.

*sigh*

The next generation of iPad will be coming out later this year - perhaps the remainder of the 1st generation iPads will be discounted. I have been drooling over them since they came out. My dh was issued one for his job and I am not allowed to touch it. :glare: What a waste. I could put that device to much better use! :lol:

Oh my, that's freaking awesome, but yes the price was more than the ipad? I have an iphone, so I really don't "need" anything else.

I looked at that but it is more than the iPad I was looking at and if I am getting a "laptop" I want to be able to play my game on it so I *need* a video card.

*sigh*

What game do you play? I actually have a full sized laptop to play my games on. LOL this one is just for doctors offices and places where i wouldn't get to play my game anyhow LOL

Oh my, that's freaking awesome, but yes the price was more than the ipad? I have an iphone, so I really don't "need" anything else.

How much are the ipads going for these days?

I looked them up and to get the biggest one, which is still way small than my netbook, is 829$ so that is more than I paid for my flip screen netbook.

I just got an iphone (and went back for the iphone 4 after asking here), but I can't see reading books as matter of course on that thing. I mean, yes, in a pinch. But? No. lol

I am getting an ipad for my birthday. The end! I have held out for far too long.

What game do you play? I actually have a full sized laptop to play my games on. LOL this one is just for doctors offices and places where i wouldn't get to play my game anyhow LOL

Everquest 2 :)

Yes this one was the one I was looking at the $499 one. The Dell Duo is only about $50 more but still more than that one :)

I looked them up and to get the biggest one, which is still way small than my netbook, is 829$ so that is more than I paid for my flip screen netbook.

The smallest iPad is the same size as the biggest iPad. There is only one size. The least expensive iPad is $499. Hopefully, as with other electronic devices, the price will come down, because iPads ROCK!!!

Bill (sent from iPad)

The smallest iPad is the same size as the biggest iPad. There is only one size. The least expensive iPad is $499. Hopefully, as with other electronic devices, the price will come down, because iPads ROCK!!!

Bill (sent from iPad)

Actually there are several ipads based on what size you get, from 8-64gig ones.

Jaimie

:bigear: Which one should I get? I cannot even believe how much I love my iphone. To the point I feel ashamed.

Bill (sent from iPad)

Actually there are several ipads based on what size you get, from 8-64gig ones.

Jaimie

Different levels of memory, if that is what you mean by "size." But they are all the same physical dimensions.

Bill

I just got an iphone (and went back for the iphone 4 after asking here), but I can't see reading books as matter of course on that thing. I mean, yes, in a pinch. But? No. lol

I am getting an ipad for my birthday. The end! I have held out for far too long.

I love reading books on mine LOL....I have both the Kindle and the Nook apps and just love having everything that I could possibly need in one small package.

:bigear: Which one should I get? I cannot even believe how much I love my iphone. To the point I feel ashamed.

Mine is a 32 gig, actually 29 gigs (how does that work?). I have tons of apps, a fair amount of books, a small amount of video, no music or photos, and have used just over 6 gigs.

You know how you will use yours better than I would.

Mine is WiFi only. Fine by me as WiFi is faster, widely available, and I don't want to pay a fee. But I can see how someone might choose on with 3G.

I would wait for the new ones. Then either grab an old one with a cost cut, or (more likely) get the iPad2.

Bill

I would use it for travel (dh and I go away about once a month); books, music, movies, internet, plus at home when my kids hog the computer. WiFi is fine!

When I talk about it, dh says to get a laptop...but i want an ipad...not a laptop. I want the smaller size. I don't want another laptop.

I don't play games...unless Neopets Word Poker counts. ;)

When is the iPad2 coming out? What will be the advantages over iPad? I had to pay a $4 restocking fee when I returned my 3GS iPhone 12 hours later. ;)

Mine is a 32 gig, actually 29 gigs (how does that work?). I have tons of apps, a fair amount of books, a small amount of video, no music or photos, and have used just over 6 gigs.

You know how you will use yours better than I would.

Mine is WiFi only. Fine by me as WiFi is faster, widely available, and I don't want to pay a fee. But I can see how someone might choose on with 3G.

I would wait for the new ones. Then either grab an old one with a cost cut, or (more likely) get the iPad2.

Bill

Edited by LibraryLover

I would use it for travel (dh and I go away about once a month); books, movies, internet, plus at home when my kids hog the computer.

When I talk about it, dh says to get a laptop...but i want an ipad...not a laptop. I want the smaller size. I don't want another laptop.

I would so rather have an iPad than a laptop. Laptops are clunky, awkward, heavy, and run hot. An iPad is like a magic slate. It runs cool, was a whiz-bang touchscreen interface (like your iPhone) and the real-estate of a big screen size makes it wonderful for the web, email, movies and reading. And it is REALLY mobile, in a way laptops are not.

I love, love, love it!

Bill

When is the iPad2 coming out? What will be the advantages over iPad? I had to pay a $4 restocking fee when I returned my 3GS iPhone 12 hours later. ;)

I'm not sure what the latest rumors are for the release, but under two months is likely.

The new ones will have cameras, which will be great for Skype and FaceTime. Also they should have a higher res "Retina" display and a non-curved back (which will make some cases fir better. I believe they will also have a faster chip.

Bill

I would use it for travel (dh and I go away about once a month); books, music, movies, internet, plus at home when my kids hog the computer. WiFi is fine!

I am waiting to get an ipad, too. I'm so excited. LIke you, I want the smaller, more portable size.

No one knows exactly when the ipad 2 is coming out. Apparently Apple likes to keep things secret as long as possible, but most people who seem to know about these things are guessing March/April 2011 (just do a google search for ipad 2 release date and you'll see several "techie" articles about it).

Again, due to Apple's secrecy, no one knows what the new ipad will have exactly, but some educated guesses include front facing cameras (for skying and whatnot), usb port, slimmer case, and faster processing.

We're looking at getting the ipad with wifi and 3G. You can purchase a 3G plan on a month-to-month basis. So, say you're traveling one month and you want internet access wherever, then pay $15-25 for the mont. However, you're not locked into any contract, so you can cancel the next month. For the times that you don't need 3G, it just uses wifi. The wifi/3G ipads are more expensive, but I like the flexibility of the 3G (especially since I don't own a smart phone with data service).

So it's likely I will be able to get the original for less than $500!

So excited, so excited. :) I could kiss you all! :grouphug:

I'm not sure what the latest rumors are for the release, but under two months is likely.

The new ones will have cameras, which will be great for Skype and FaceTime. Also they should have a higher res "Retina" display and a non-curved back (which will make some cases fir better. I believe they will also have a faster chip.

Bill

:grouphug: :001_smile: Thanks.

I am waiting to get an ipad, too. I'm so excited. LIke you, I want the smaller, more portable size.

No one knows exactly when the ipad 2 is coming out. Apparently Apple likes to keep things secret as long as possible, but most people who seem to know about these things are guessing March/April 2011 (just do a google search for ipad 2 release date and you'll see several "techie" articles about it).

Again, due to Apple's secrecy, no one knows what the new ipad will have exactly, but some educated guesses include front facing cameras (for skying and whatnot), usb port, slimmer case, and faster processing.

We're looking at getting the ipad with wifi and 3G. You can purchase a 3G plan on a month-to-month basis. So, say you're traveling one month and you want internet access wherever, then pay $15-25 for the mont. However, you're not locked into any contract, so you can cancel the next month. For the times that you don't need 3G, it just uses wifi. The wifi/3G ipads are more expensive, but I like the flexibility of the 3G (especially since I don't own a smart phone with data service).

So it's likely I will be able to get the original for less than $500!

So excited, so excited. :) I could kiss you all! :grouphug:

Usually the stock starts drying up before a new release. That is beginning to be reported now. Apple does not like selling things at a discount (although one can now get a new iPhone 3G for $79). But used ones and maybe even new first gen iPads may be available at lower prices when the new ones come out.

Bill

The iPad is so worth it. I wish our family had 3, but we just have one to share between the three of us, it switches hands all weekend when everyone is home. We don't have 3G, so if we get a second generation, I'd want to get one with 3G.

My DH is really studying all this, he had a netbook last year but the screen was too small and he sold it to my mom. We were at a Microsoft store over the weekend and drooled over the tiny computers that would play Flash and do more than the iPad. I loved the little keyboards they had for them. (I seem to collect keyboards/mice.) But I couldn't game on them. (I was an Everquest addict, and just got over a severe LOTRO addiction last month, don't tempt me back into the black hole.)

I hope he chooses to get the new iPad 2. He thinks it's coming out next month. I made a good point in that all the iPad/iPhone apps we purchased already, can be used on the second iPad.

Now, time for bed, where I'll spend four hours curled up with my iPad, reading Kindle books, checking WTM, surfing Amazon, checking email, playing apps... All with the light off so as not to disturb anyone.

Edited by Satori

Okay, all you techies. I have a question for you. I've never had a smart phone. Is it possible to get one and not have service (to use as a phone)? I'm thinking I would like to use it like a PDA and use apps offline, so to speak.

If you are looking at an iPhone just get an iTouch. It is my understanding they are virtually the same thing.

If you are looking at an iPhone just get an iTouch. It is my understanding they are virtually the same thing.

I suppose I should add there is one difference I know of--some iPhone apps are dependent on the cell connection to use GPS features for mapping and other locating services. Obviously in an iTouch this won't work or won't work the same way. You do need access to a wifi system-home wireless network or library or coffee shop etc.

I don't think you can buy an iPhone without service can you? You would need to look at the second hand market rather than buying from AT&T or Apple (or presumably from Verizon).

I want one also. But I don't even have a phone. I don't mean that I don't have an Iphone. I don't have a cell phone of any kind! I would rather have an iphone than an ipad..I think. But then again, if I have gone this long without a cell phone, why not just get an ipad. Not that I am ever getting either.

If wishes were horses I would win the derby.

The ipad has completely, corrupted me.

I've never been one to spend money on myself, but Ds convinced me I would really enjoy an ipad.

I wonder how I ever lived without it. When they come out, I'm planning on buying myself the most expensive new version of the ipad2 and an iphone5.

It's like a stranger took over my body....and wallet....not good.

Bill (sent from iPad)

Bill, can you speak to the battery life of an ipad? I've had people tell me to get Nook if I want to read...the iPad is only good for 2 hours. That doesn't so much work for xcountry plane trips. My dh has a lot of work on the west coast, and now that the kids are older, I can go along more often.

I can't do Nook and iPad...:D Can I? Also, a friend says he's used internet on Nook, but it's not great...what does that mean?

Of course, now that I have owned my iphone for a week, I feel like I have everything I could ever need in the palm of my hand. I just had no idea how much that thing rocked or I would have gotten one sooner. Too bad the iphone is just the size of my palm, however.

I so want one... *sigh*

That is all.

Me too! My husband has one, but I can barely get my paws on it. I'm hoping he breaks down and buys a next generation one and I can have his cast off. We were at an art museum googling things about artists right on the ipad. It would be so handy for homeschooling! I do have an ipod touch. And even that is really fun and handy to have.

I heard on public radio that prices on these things (apple and knock offs) should drop over the next year! That could be good news for all of us. :001_smile:

Bill, can you speak to the battery life of an ipad? I've had people tell me to get Nook if I want to read...the iPad is only good for 2 hours. That doesn't so much work for xcountry plane trips. My dh has a lot of work on the west coast, and now that the kids are older, I can go along more often.

I can't do Nook and iPad...:D Can I? Also, a friend says he's used internet on Nook, but it's not great...what does that mean?

Of course, now that I have owned my iphone for a week, I feel like I have everything I could ever need in the palm of my hand. I just had no idea how much that thing rocked or I would have gotten one sooner. Too bad the iphone is just the size of my palm, however.

2 hrs??? No way!

It seemed when we first got it that I could only kill the thing in one day was if I got up very early, put it to "heavy" use all day, and stayed up much too late.

Since the most recent iOS upgrade (with the addition of "multitasking") it seems like the battery life is diminished if there are a lot of open apps in the "dock." Then it can last less than a full day of HEAVY use. The apps in the dock can be "closed" and that does seem to help a good deal.

I'm very impressed with the battery life. People who need a re-charge in a single day have serious iPad addiction issues.

My name is Bill and.....:D

Bill

So I could use it no problem from Boston to Seattle?

2 hrs??? No way!

It seemed when we first got it that I could only kill the thing in one day was if I got up very early, put it to "heavy" use all day, and stayed up much too late.

Since the most recent iOS upgrade (with the addition of "multitasking") it seems like the battery life is diminished if there are a lot of open apps in the "dock." Then it can last less than a full day of HEAVY use. The apps in the dock can be "closed" and that does seem to help a good deal.

I'm very impressed with the battery life. People who need a re-charge in a single day have serious iPad addiction issues.

My name is Bill and.....:D

Bill

Edited by LibraryLover