Menu

Favorite Discipline Book

Naomi Drew's "Peaceful parents, peaceful kids"

and

"nurture by nature" by Paul Tieger

are the two i reach for again and again...

one line in "the road less travelled", which defines love not as an emotion, but as an intentional choice to behave in a loving manner towards another probably helps me daily when i feel like behaving differently...

hth,

ann

How to Stop Bad Attitude, Complaining and Whining in You and Your Kids by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller

Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Dr. Becky Bailey

How To Really Love Your Child by Ross Campbell

Children, The Challenge by Druikers

Effective Parenting, Turansky and Miller

How to Stop Bad Attitude, Complaining and Whining in You and Your Kids by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller

Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Dr. Becky Bailey

How To Really Love Your Child by Ross Campbell

Children, The Challenge by Druikers

Effective Parenting, Turansky and Miller

:iagree:

The Effective Parenting Books had a huge impact on my husband and I. I can't say enough for all of their books. Start with the first and work your way through. If they have a seminar anywhere near you it's well worth the time to go. Sign up for their free emails with parenting tips. They are terrific!

By the way both authors were homeschoolers at one point.

http://www.effectiveparenting.org/

I'm not sure I have a favorite... I glean bits and pieces from a lot of sources, but right now Kevin Lehman's principles are really doing well in our house. My kids love to engage in an argument, "That's not fair.... why....., etc. etc. whine whine whine." Basically, I say it and then turn around and walk off. "Clean up your rooms before dinner!" Turn around, walk off. Miraculously, it gets done. The other principle of his "logical consequences" is just starting to really make a point with DS#1 and it's been great. Huge example from the other day: DS#1 is very hard on clothes. We've gotten him belts in the past, but he shreds them, loses them, uses them for everything else other than what they were intended. The other day, he was complaining that he hates his adjustable waist-band pants. I said, "Well, you are tall and skinny. There are two ways to keep your pants up. Use a belt, or wear adjustable waist pants. You have shown us that you are not responsible with a belt, so now you must wear the other kinds of pants." His mouth opened. Then it closed. He got it. I rejoiced inside.:D I'm not sure how his behavior is going to change, but there have been a lot of little things I"m pointing out to him and he's finally understanding that the things he doesn't like are a direct result of his own choices. It's so great.

What is your favorite Discipline book? Which book helped you discipline and raise your children and made a big difference in your home life?

I am currently reading Sheparding a Child's Heart and I am enjoying it tremendously.

Don't Make Me Count to Three - builds on Shepherding a Child's Heart (gives practical examples of how to implement and great use of verses I would NEVER have thought to use when building sibling relationships, for example)

There's another one that was recommended to me from here and the title is *something* like How to Stop Complaining, Arguing...in You and Your Kids...something like that - it moves beyond obedience and into HONOR (going above & beyond just doing what you're told)

I HATE the titles of both of these books and would have NEVER picked them up had they not been recommended to me by certain people on this forum but they are AWESOME POSSUM!!!

I really like Clay Clarkson's Heartfelt Discipline, for its philosophy of *why* we choose a particular way of disciplining. It's a little short on the "do X in this situation" sort of thing though, but it really focuses on reaching the heart and not just correcting the behavior.

I also like Raising Your Spirited Child and Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline. I like Dr. Sears's books in general for parenting very young children.

For older kids, I think Kevin Leman's books are very good. I don't love every single thing he says, but overall, I've found him to be very much on the practical and reasonable side, common sense, kids are neither always good nor always bad. I think he's a really good compromise between the two major opposing sides of discipline philosophies.