Menu

If you built your own house--what do you LOVE (or not love)?

We are still in flux here not knowing if we will be building or buying but we will be moving by August at the latest and May or earlier is possible. The highway is coming but we don't know much yet.

I would love to hear from those of you that built on what you just LOVE as well as those things you wish you would have done differently. We are looking at 4 bedrooms (plus office would be ideal), nothing fancy but very livable and a MUD ROOM with bathroom.

Any great choices on flooring, heating systems, etc.?

We put in an addition a year ago, and to be honest, the one thing I really don't like is the radiant heat.

We have extreme swings in temp here in the winter, and the radiant heat just can't keep up. It takes it about a day to adjust to the new temp, and by then we're about due for our next change.

Radiant heat also makes it impossible to turn the heat down at night and up in the day, which is what we like.

hmmm...........

Gas cooktop

Gas waterheater

No carpet - anywhere!!!

Great big jacuzzi tub in the master bath (find a way - it is worth it)

Carbonized bamboo is gorgeous, we love it, but it does dent easily

If you don't mind it, laminate floors are the bomb! Last forever and look good

If doing tile - go with a dark grout. As dark as the darkest color in the tile.

Pre-wire all the walls with all cables, lan lines, etc - for computers, phone, etc.

Add twice as many electrical outlets.

double vanities in all the main bathrooms

seperate small "throne room" for toilet

1/2 bath in the front of the house - so that visitors don't have to see the mess in the regular bathrooms :)

I've built a home 2x...so far. ;) Honestly, I love everything about both of them, even though I no longer own the former one.

That's what's great about building...no real compromises! Oh, sure, there's a budget, but each decision is yours, so you're only choosing from acceptable options!

But everyone's list is going to be different! For instance, I love Kristy, but completely disagree with the jacuzzi tub in the master bath...but that's me! I prefer having a great big, QUIET soaker tub, and the jacuzzi outside and communal. :tongue_smilie: (Funny story about our soaker tub in the master bath...it was one of the first things delivered to the house while it was still being studded in. Next day, it was gone. I asked the foreman where it went. He said our builder had gotten in it the day before and decided it wasn't big enough, so he sent it back and ordered a model two sizes up! LOL)

If you aren't good at visualizing things from 2D into 3D, look into a computer program that will show you your plans in 3D. It'll help you avoid mistakes, for sure!

Oh, and I will mention one specific thing, get two little water closets with toilets for the main bathroom, not one! I really don't get why this isn't done more frequently in our homes. Saves a lot of aggravation!

I LOVE the size of our kitchen. We also have pull out shelves in the lower cabinets. I love our upstairs. We have 4 bedrooms all centered around a small loft area.

Things I'd change:

larger laundry room with a sink and place to put coats/shoes

hardwood floors in the entry/kitchen/dining room

swap the dining room with the kitchen so the kitchen would overlook the family room

larger kids bathroom that included 2 sinks or just a larger cabinet/counter top

french doors on our den to close off the mess and keep kids out. The den is right inside the front door.

We haven't built our own (don't even own our own), but have rented many places.

Things that I've found to be desirable and things that have made certain places function best for us:

a large dutch kitchen with a walk in pantry

gas stove

laundry room on the MAIN floor

1 story ranch

having rooms built around the main two rooms

an entry room/mudroom

(never had but would love) a tankless water heater

Lots of things to think about and consider.

I would love a soaker tub if it was DEEP enough to keep the "girls" from floating around. :-) I was thinking the hot tub off the master so we could have privacy if we wanted but we could also let others join us.

Keep the ideas coming. I will print them all out later and consider what would work best for us.

I am supposed to get a call at 2pm from the state to set up a meeting to tell us more.

We built our last house and I miss it. We loved everything about it (for what was in our budget) except for one thing - I wish we had a seat in the shower. With a bigger budget, we would have added a few things like vaulted ceilings with ceiling fans in the bedrooms, bigger laundry room with cabinets, 3 car garage, granite countertops with a copper sink, nicer kitchen cabinets....

The things I loved were the open floor plan, hard wood floors, a large shower in the master and no tub since we never use one anyway (there was a tub in the 2nd bath if needed), built in hamper in the cabinets of the master bath, a large pantry, pull out shelves in kitchen and bathroom cabinets, space built in for our entertainment center, all bedrooms upstairs and anyone coming or going would have to go past the master bedroom (didn't seem important at the time, but now I have a teenager:ohmy:), front porch with room for a couple chairs, a deck which stepped down to a paver patio, prewired security system, oh, and the view of the lake. I so loved that house.

Love:

My radiant heat

my woodstove

My high efficiency gas boiler

Skylights in my office

no full circles for kids to run around and around and around....

attic dorma space for stuff we don't need right now, but don't want out either

The window unit my dh built with full window seats and book shelves and storage bins built right in...LOVE it.

Hate:

No full basement (what were we thinking??)

No laundry room WHAT WERE WE THINKING??

NO MUD ROOM! WHAT THE HECK WERE WE THINKING?????

Faithe

Yup... if you do a basement... do it as though you will build in it later... even if you don't plan to... (or do it from the start :)) Make it taller than you think you need.... and.... put insulation and such... so your feet don't get cold.... (well, radiant floor heating will fix that :))

Floor plans will be fun!!

:)

We built our home 15 years ago.

Things we did that we LOVE:

A separate schoolroom (bonus room above the garage)

Laundry chutes to the main floor

Mudroom/Laundry/Sewing room- it's large with a big sunny window - I love it

A sink in the garage

LOTS of BIG drawers in the kitchen- I hate cabinets and having to crawl in the back of them to retrieve large items

Extra windows for a sunny house

3 car+ garage

Gas stovetop in kitchen

Gas fireplace

Double ovens

2-zone heating/cooling system for main floor and upstairs

Crown molding in LR and DR

Kitchen desk area w/ computer (couldn't live w/o it!)

Being able to see the back yard from the kitchen window- I could watch the kids play

House is wired for 2 phone lines and computer access- now we have wi-fi

Skylights in the schoolroom

double sinks in the kids' bathroom and master bath

Jucuzzi tub in master bath

Entry closet

French doors off kitchen eating area to deck

Double doors to den from main entry hallway

Things we'd do differently:

Put the master bedroom on the main floor

Finish the basement

Edited by JVA

I don't have time to list out every single thing, but a biggie that is relatively cheap is under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen to light the countertop. Cost us $168 and it makes such a difference to have great lighting. Good lighting is money well-spent. Ditto what a PP said about ceiling fixtures in every room. Recessed lighting, skylights, etc. Wish I had thought about lighting in the master bath a bit more. Would love to have a wall sconce where the tub is for reading. Or a recessed can above. Wish that they had lit the counter with two shorter bars of lights over the sinks instead of one long bar of lights centered on the one mirror.

What I think of how we built our house -

Kitchen - I love that is open to the family room, has a big island with overhang for seating, room for a big farm table in the kitchen with a bay of windows and sliding glass door, gas for cooking, really like the recessed lighting in front of the cabinets, cabinets with pull out shelves are great. If I was dreaming, I would put a pot filler faucet above my stove.

Mudroom - It has a sink in it, room for laundry, hanging cabinets, hooks for coats. If I was building it again I would make it 50% bigger and have built in cubbies and more counter space and a broom closet.

Family room - love our wood burning fireplace, lots of windows, room for lots of comfy seating

Office - has lots of light and a double door so I can close off the mess

We placed an emphasis on family living space and made bedrooms a little smaller. It was a good decision for us that has led to the kids being downstairs more. We also have a big open basement that has become the playroom over time. Eventually I believe it will change from lego, toy room to ping pong table, lounge area.

I wish my kids' bathroom had 2 sinks. 1 creates a traffic jam at brush your teeth time. I would also seperate the toilet area from the rest of the bathroom with a door to facilitate traffic. All of our upstairs bathrooms have lots of tile which is easy to clean and linen closets in each.

We have a formal dining room, and we use it, but next time I would make it more open to the kitchen family room and add a butler pantry. I would make my kitchen pantry walk in with space for my extra frig. I would put a bigger coat closet downstairs near the mudroom.

I have hardwood floors everywhere except the mudroom (which is tile). I love my flooring choices even 10 years later. Easy to maintain.

We have a big deck that spans the back of the house, but my favorite feature is a screened in porch with a ceiling fan and light. We spend tons of time out there, eat out there, do school there when it is nice.

We have a two car garage, we would build a 3 if we did it again. Then we might actually put 2 cars in addition to the bikes, lawn mower etc.

Other choices we would make again - attic fans, good windows (lots of them), ceiling fans in the bedrooms, big closets and on demand hot water.

When we built we discussed in advance how we used our space and what our priorities were. It helped us prioritize later when we had to make cost choices, which invariably you do when building.

We also thought a lot about sight lines. When my kids were little I could put them on the deck with the gate and see them from every room in the back of the house. Now that they are older I can look out the kitchen or living room and keep an eye on neighborhood football games that happen in our yard most days.

Have fun!

Things we love:

Mudd Room with tile the color of our red clay dirt outside-Complete with a full bathroom.

Laundry chute that drops into a nice looking cabinet in my laundry room.

Large kitchen with a peninsula instead of an island (similar to mommyfaithe-no circles to run around like islands).

Outlet strips in my kitchen instead of 2-4 outlets in a plate.

Double oven and 2 dishwashers. Life saver!

Jacuzzi tub in master bath.

Hickory Hardwood floors-it really takes a lot to dent them, and we actually didnt pay much for them. Some brands are super expensive, but others are not!

Having a full basement-it is unfinished, but the bathroom is already done. We were advised to do all basement plumbing needed when the house was built because messing with pumps is a pain.

Built in vac and a closet just for cleaning stuff to put it in.

A large pantry.

Every room has walk-in closets. These are so nice, and I love that I can keep a dresser in there as well!

We love the kids bathroom! We decided to build one for all of them, but we built it in a way that made the most use of it. It is built into 3 rooms, the sink room, the toilet room, and the bathtub room. This way two can be at the sinks, one can use the toilet, and one can shower all at the same time. It is so expensive to build multiple bathrooms, so this was a very affordable way to make a bathroom for multiple people.

Built in corian sinks in the kids bathroom. They are so easy to clean!

A separate electrical box that wires important items to a generator. So when the power goes out all we have to do is flip the switch and fire up the generator! Things on this circuit are the fridge and freezer, stair lighting, pilot for the water heaters and the furnace (they operate gas, but they use electricity to lite) and the microwave so we can heat something to eat at least. This amount keeps the size and $ of the generator down, while giving us some creature comforts!

Things I wish were different:

I wish we had an covered area over the back porch. It is just an open cement slab.

I wish we had the $ to start our finished basement project. We are outgrowing the bedrooms and I dont wish to give up having a schoolroom!

I wish I had a couple more closets because I dont have enough places for games and art supplies and I dont want to take over the kids bedroom closets.

I wish I had my own office/sewing room. DH doesnt like to share his and so I am now using a corner of our bedroom, but it makes our bedroom look messy and it complicates me switching my brain out of mom/schooling mode and into intimate times when I can see all my school stuff across the room!

A closet for our coats near the mudd room/garage enterance. If we put our coats in the entry closet, there is no room for guest coats. DH tried making coat racks for the garage, but then when we would go to leave, our coat would be covered in spider webs ewwww! There really isnt another great place in the house for our coats!

Edited by bluemongoose

We haven't built, but dh is a contractor and we've done a lot of dreaming over the years.

Things I would love to have:

separate enclosed area for the litter box, complete with vent fan

(saw this in one home) separate room for dogs. They took what was probably supposed to be a sunroom put in floor to ceiling windows, all tile floor, counter area and elevated tub for bathing dogs. I would love that!

Two closets in master bedroom

1/2 bath off mudroom or garage

Mudroom/laundry droom that is not just a pass through from garage

Designated area for home office stuff. I hate bills in the mudroom or kitchen. A small room like a command center. Even though dh and I have an office I'd like a special place just for the bills and household stuff.

Other ideas:

Classroom with door. It's nice to just shut it off at the end of the day

Built-in bookshelves. We had this in our old house, miss that.

I've built two houses and this is my list:

LOVE

* Laundry room near the bedrooms (upstairs)

* Lots of recessed lighting (doesn't get dusty/cobwebs much)

* Ceramic tile kitchen floor in a mottled tan - never looks dirty

* Island cooktop in the kitchen - I love to look around, not at a wall!

* Deep drawers in the kitchen - pots and pans are so easy to reach

* "Charging station" in kitchen - quad outlets - that was a really good idea and I didn't yet know how much "charging" was going to matter later.

* Built-in bookcases *drool*!

* Hardwood floors/tile throughout the first floor.

* Big, deep front porch

* Build in glass-fronted cabinets in the Dining Room. Those are so pretty, with built-in halogen lights.

* I also walked around and intentionally decided where each and every electrical outlet would go and where we needed quad plugs. I planned them so they would not be visible, i.e, so lamps would be plugged in behind dressers. The only flaw in this plan was that I did not leave enough outlets that are NOT behind furniture and this is difficult for things like the vacuum cleaner cord. I did put outlets under all the windows at the front of the house for Christmas candle lights; that was smart, except that the actual candle lights have not worked out so well.

* Separate "schoolroom," although it was meant to be a photography studio when we built the house. But I do homeschool more than I do photography, so it became the schoolroom/playroom. We still call that room the "Studio."

DO NOT LOVE

* Oobatooba Granite (dark, almost black; choose a lighter color!)

* Why, oh why did I let dh tell me he would put in a chrome sink trap "later," as it is exposed with our fancy sink? He put PVC in "temporarily" - 8 years ago. That is so darn ugly! I wish I would have just required a closed vanity cabinet and not let him get the fancy thingy.

* Glossy white tile in the boy's bathroom. Better choices were possible.

* We don't have this anymore, but in our first house, we came to hate the two-story foyer/family room with a "catwalk" above. Noises downstairs went straight to the kids' bedrooms, not to mention dead flies on the window trim, and unreachable dust and cobwebs.

Thanks again for the additional ideas. I had one carpet salesman tell me before to take the dirtiest piece of carpet we already had and then bring that in to match color for a new carpet---basically buy carpet the color of your dirt :-)

So far I have had several NOs from people that I have approached about selling--either their home or land but I did get a few yeses as well--on vacant land. Now I just need to get prices on those pieces.

To me, floors were a big thing as I don't like carpet - too many animals and where the house sits, carpet would just be foolish with red dirt outside.

So we opted for all tile floors and pergo-like laminate (real wood too expensive and scratches easier than laminate).

I wrote out a few things that really were important to me: Floors and large kitchen as well as tongue in groove wood-clad ceiling (house is cabin-style).

Make a priority list of these categories: "Must-have's", "Would be nice" and "Can take it or leave it".

Compare it with your dh's list and see what you can build.

Loved:

Big pantry

Big front closet

Window in each bathroom (fresh air is under-rated ;))

Fireplace

Big master closet

Separate linen closet big enough for several large quilts and the regular linens

Formal entry for guests

Hated:

Tile floors

Carpet

Small laundry room

No mud room

Make a priority list of these categories: "Must-have's", "Would be nice" and "Can take it or leave it".

Compare it with your dh's list and see what you can build.

Good ideas.

Just to muck things up. I get one call from the lady saying she will sell us 13 acres and then about 2 minutes later I get an email from the realtor that a house that we tried to buy 2 years ago is up for sale again. That has 6.7 acres and is in a great location. The house is livable but not totally ideal but it does have a HUGE pole barn with hoist and office that dh would love and attached to that is a 2 bedroom little apartment which could be very handy for my in laws, oldest son, etc. at some point. We had even thought of using that as a guest house/visiting missionary quarters, etc. when we looked at it before.

If the neighbor behind this piece would sell her 6 acres it would become THE ideal place for us.

I love my 3 car garage for sure and the fireplace in my bedroom. I have a walk-in pantry that is great and we have 2 sets of stairs which keeps the front stairs clean b/c we use the back most of the time. I would have included intercom and a laundry chute if I had thought of it. Granite has been wonderful when I bake b/c you can put pans right down on it!

From a total different point of view, there are simple things you can do when building your house, to make it accessible in the future should the need arise, short term or long term.

Wider doorways on the main floor and one bathroom that could accomodate someone in leg casts or a wheelchair, along with one zero entry outside doorway could make the difference of whether or not you can remain in your house easily in the future or have to make very very expensive modifications. These things really should be a negligible difference if they are changes made to the plan up front.

I didn't mention that but that is a HUGE thing for us as my mom is already in an electric wheelchair full time and my MIL is currently in rehab learning to walk again after hip surgery. If we build, we want the main floor---at least kitchen, dining, a bath and bedroom to be handicapped friendly. Like you said, not expensive to do NOW but very expensive to do later.

Closets! If you can believe it when we built our first house it had NO closets except in the bedrooms, and they were little.

Lots of cabinets

Wood floors .. they are FABULOUS, low maintenance and stay looking good for a long time

Big laundry room, with a table for folding clothes and places to hang clothes.. that would be amazing

Biggest tip - talk to an architect who will discuss your style of living, not just the 'features' you like. For example, do you like to be outside (maybe you'll want more or bigger windows) do you spend a lot of time reading (cozy nooks?) or whatever.

Have fun!

What's a mudroom?

We're planning to build a bit later in the year. We're in Australia, though, and housing seems somewhat different here. We're planning a home that will work with our climate, and the designer is a very practical person whose ideas seem very liveable.

I like the idea of dark grout! We've got light grout in our current house and it looks awful. (Well, it *was* light...)

Min

A mud room is a small room by the back door of the house, off the garage or back yard usually where there is a place for hanging up coats and storing muddy boots, shoes, etc. out of sight of the rest of the house. Often there is a bathroom there as well, sometimes with a shower, sometimes without, for cleaning up.

Basically it is a place to come in and get rid of all of the dirt/mud, etc. and wash up if needed before coming in to the rest of the house. It really helps keep the rest of the house clean.

We are in Michigan where we have 4-5 months of snows so we also have all of the wet/sloppy winter gear that needs a place to go.

Hope this helps.

We're having a house built now. They break ground in February. We're having 6 bedrooms put into this thing. :D Finally, a bedroom for EVERYBODY - and a guest bedroom so Grandmas don't have to sleep in a Dora the Explorer bed with Batman sheets.

We're getting arched doorways inside, which looks cool.

3 bedrooms downstairs and 3 upstairs, so the guests (OK, our guests are all Grandmas) don't have to walk up stairs to get to the guest bedroom and one bedroom could be a nursery.

We're thinking about getting solar panels put on the house in a couple of years. Apparently, my husband gets an employee discount. (I thought that was funny)

Mud Rooms are awesome, but we don't need those in Texas.

Hmmm...our house is pretty basic other than that. We're getting stonework on the front, which looks cool. Oh, stainless steel appliances. Darker carpeting, like someone else said.

Have fun!! How exciting!!!!