Menu

Front loader washer issues...armpits not coming clean in shirts...

We've had our Samsung FL washer (it has all the bells and whistles, too, for what it's worth) for a couple of months now and haven't been unhappy. However, we are finding that the armpits of our shirts are not coming completely clean and we are finding that they are somewhat stiff after being washed and dried. DH's undershirts are the main ones, but they are old, so that could be a problem too. (Our old TL washed them clean, though) It is also happening to my shirts and I do not sweat like DH or have any abnormal underarm issues that would create an unusual problem. I've noticed that my deodorant isn't coming out. What to do???? I don't remember this occuring in our 15+ year old Whirlpool old-timey washer we had to replace with this new fandangled FL. I'm a little irritated since it's brand new and this is happening. We were told such great things about the FL. So far, I don't have any other complaints, though.

I've had several friends who have replaced their top loading washing machines with the new front-loading, bells-and-whistles machines and regretted it every since. Same issues with underarms, as well as others.

For me, I love to knit and felt, and you can't felt in a front loader, so I'll stick with my trusty old top-loader.

astrid

We have the same issue. Every so often I soak the stained items in OxyClean, and that takes care of the problem. I like the results from top-loaders better, but it will only be a matter of time before they all disappear due to using larger amounts of water.

We have the same issue. Every so often I soak the stained items in OxyClean, and that takes care of the problem. I like the results from top-loaders better, but it will only be a matter of time before they all disappear due to using larger amounts of water.

Hmmmm, I use the deep clean Oxyclean as a prewash and sometimes mixed with my detergent. I've not soaked them, though. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks.

I've had problems with that, too, so I use oxyclean on towels, whites, and shirts. I use the powder and throw it in the drum before loading the clothes. That usually works, but if I put too many shirts in a load, or try to wash when the water softener needs recharging, it's an issue. FWIW, we have a Whirlpool Duet--about 2 years old. I think the FL does a better job on knits and sheets than the TL.

A plumber gave a friend of mine a tip about both FL washers and dishwashers: run a nearby hot water tap if you can before starting the machine to get warm/hot water to the appliance as soon as possible. Water-thrifty appliances use so little water that the water stays too cold, especially in winter.

A plumber gave a friend of mine a tip about both FL washers and dishwashers: run a nearby hot water tap if you can before starting the machine to get warm/hot water to the appliance as soon as possible. Water-thrifty appliances use so little water that the water stays too cold, especially in winter.

:iagree:Although I've had two front loaders and never had any trouble with armpits. The only trouble I had was when I used a certain deodorant, and as soon as I stopped, all was fine. I do use vinegar, not a softening rinse, and I put half detergent half oxyclean in the detergent pocket. Also, I don't have the high end one, either.

I find that top loader fray my clothes less, although whether that is from the tumble action or from the extra hard spin, so there is less time in the drier, I don't know. I sure get less lint in my catch with a front loader.

How strange. There is such a mix of answers. I didn't have the trouble in my TL, but I do with the FL. I think soaking them or using a stain spray prior to washing will be what I try next. I agree that the less water might be efficient for limiting water use, but not more efficient with getting my clothes cleaner. I think the agitator of the TL did a pretty good job. Ho-hum. What "they" say is better isn't necessarily true which is why I hope they continue to offer a variety for consumers from washers to vehices and not tell us what is "best".

I don't have this problem with my FL but I remember mom putting a cup of vinegar in with dad's shirts years ago in our TL.

Sometimes I add Borax to loads with lots of sweaty stuff, and run a boil cycle.

Where would I put the vinegar in the FL? In the bleach compartment or the softener compartment? I guess I would put it in the one that is used during the rinse cycle, right? My user's manual for this washer is less explanatory than I prefer.

My FL never gets my whites white. They turn a dull gray and never whiten again, no matter how much bleach or Biz or stain concoction I use. I finally resorted to taking all whites to the laundramat. :glare: The first time I went, there was another lady with the same problem washing her family's whites.

Really, we're not farmers and our clothes never seemed that dirty. I can only think that they aren't getting clean with the little water used in the system.

No fan of FLs here,

Lisa

I have had my Duets for 6 or more years. I don't have this problem. I don't know what could be causing it, but this is what I do (and don't have the problem).

I guess the only question I have is: What kind of detergent are you using? Do you live in a state that has changed laws about the detergent ingredients available?

I used Tide HE and always have.

I have hard water so I periodically use a cup of vinegar with the detergent to dissolve deposits. I just put a plastic cup with vinegar sitting up on the clothes. When the drain shuts, and the clothes start tumbling, the vinegar spills out and is mixed in with the first wash. If I put it in the softener dispenser, I notice more vinegar odor, although I do this on purpose periodically to clean out the dispenser.

It takes a bit for the water to get into my washer, so I know it doesn't go in hot from the water heater.

I up the temp to hot water for white clothes, but otherwise use a normal cycle with warm wash/cold rinse. I vary the cycle for other things but not just normal body soils.

DD4 wipes her hands on her clothes, so I toss a bit of Oxyclean or Clorox 2 in with her items.

How strange. There is such a mix of answers. I didn't have the trouble in my TL, but I do with the FL. I think soaking them or using a stain spray prior to washing will be what I try next. I agree that the less water might be efficient for limiting water use, but not more efficient with getting my clothes cleaner. I think the agitator of the TL did a pretty good job. Ho-hum. What "they" say is better isn't necessarily true which is why I hope they continue to offer a variety for consumers from washers to vehices and not tell us what is "best".

I notice this too with my front loader, and I NEVER had the problem with my old top loader. I have a couple of form-fitting dark shirts that end up with deodorant residue that won't come out in the wash. (in fact it looks worse after wash - the white residue ends up visible on the outside of the shirt, and it wasn't before washing!) I am reduced to scrubbing the armpits of those shirts at the laundry room sink to remove it. :(

<snip>

No fan of FLs here,

Lisa

We had a Frigidaire FL for about 5 years, aside from the fact that my DH had to fix it about every six months (thank goodness he is so handy!) turns out it wasn't cleaning so well. We didn't have any obvious problems like the OP but we finally gave up fixing it the last time it broke a month or so ago and my dd's bf gave us a TL that is at least 15 years old.:001_huh: But hey it was free. Well, after a few loads I start thinking my laundry is cleaner but wasn't sure. A couple weeks later my DH comments that he thinks our clothes are cleaner, who would have thought? I hope a previous poster is wrong, I hope there are always TL to choose from and after all the electronic problems we had with our FL I don't want any bells and whistles either. I want it to fill with water, agitate, spin, rinse, spin and be done with it.

My FL never gets my whites white. They turn a dull gray and never whiten again, no matter how much bleach or Biz or stain concoction I use. I finally resorted to taking all whites to the laundramat. :glare: The first time I went, there was another lady with the same problem washing her family's whites.

Really, we're not farmers and our clothes never seemed that dirty. I can only think that they aren't getting clean with the little water used in the system.

No fan of FLs here,

Lisa

We had the same problem here. We were using regular Tide detergent but less of it than we would use in a TL. That was the problem. It isn't formulated for FL washers and doesn't suspend the dirt like the Tide HE does. That's something I learned here on the forum, and now our whites are getting back to white. :)

We've also noticed the underarm thing happening, but I'm not sure if that's improving now or not.

Oh, so maybe the problem isn't my homemade laundry detergent as I had suspected? I have the same machine the OP described and our whites, especially white undershirts look dingy.

I had to switch to a store bought soap. The homemade wasn't working for us in the front loader. I use shaklee's laundry soap now and have no problem with smelly laundry.

Same problem here with my FL. My girlfriend and I got ours at the same time and we both hate ours because of the poor cleaning. However, the same time we got our new FL our state outlawed phosphorous in the detergent. So its hard to know if its the FL or the soap.

My solution has been to use HOT water, twice the soap, and do an extra rinse for everything.

My whites still come out dingy and grey but they smell okay and the armpits aren't crusty.....still can't get my socks clean...there is actual debris on them. Sometimes I have to rewash washcloths and socks.

I really miss my top loading Maytag Atlantis and my phosphorous soap!